Waxing Crescent

The 2017 Farmers Almanac

Fleas? Try These Flea-Be-Gone Treats For Your Pet!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Add to Google+ Share on Pinterest Subscribe by Email Print This Post
Fleas? Try These Flea-Be-Gone Treats For Your Pet!

Flea season peaks around late summer and early fall. Try these homemade treats that contain brewer’s yeast, a natural flea repellent. Recipe appears in the 2015 edition of the Farmers’ Almanac, page 58.

Flea-Be-Gone Dog Biscuits

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups flour
½ cup wheat germ
½ cup brewer’s yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chicken broth

Directions:

In a large bowl, mix oil with dry ingredients. Slowly stir in 1 cup of chicken broth when mixture gets too dry. Mix thoroughly until you get a doughy consistency.

Roll dough onto floured surface to about ¼ inch thick. Use knife to cut dough into squares, or use cookie cutters to make special shapes. Place cut dough onto large, ungreased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, or until edges are brown. Allow to cool 2 hours, then store in plastic bags or airtight containers.

Administer treats as you would any other treat, after a walk, etc.

Important note: The garlic powder has been removed from the original recipe. Many dog owners wrote to us, expressing their concern, citing raw garlic can be toxic to some dogs. While others have read of its many health benefits. If you choose to add it, the recipe calls for 1 TBL garlic POWDER. But please check with your vet first. The brewer’s yeast in this recipe is the most important component of this recipe for natural flea repellent.

Articles you might also like...

1 Marky { 03.21.17 at 6:54 pm }

We buy brewers yeast at the bulk barn (I take it for the vitamin B), it’s dirt cheap.

2 Susan Higgins { 03.21.17 at 4:30 pm }

Hi Jennifer, because of the size of the biscuits, they are not suitable for cats. If you broke them up, you might end up with sharp edges. And keep in mind, if you have an infestation, these treats won’t help with that, they’re just a gentle way to make your pets unappealing to fleas. Good luck!

3 Jennifer { 03.21.17 at 10:49 am }

How can this be modified for cats?

4 Susan Higgins { 03.14.17 at 11:20 am }

Hi Jennifer, you can buy “nutritional yeast” or “brewers yeast” online if you can’t find it in stores; https://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Large-Flake/dp/B000WLCHDA/ref=sr_1_7_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1489504802&sr=1-7&keywords=nutritional%2Byeast&th=1

5 Jennifer { 03.14.17 at 8:41 am }

Ok I’m a little lost here, everything I’ve read says use “brewers yeast”, but there is one hitch to this for me. I live in a really small town and no brewers yeast to be found anywhere within 60 miles of me. This is frustrating because I don’t use chemicals on either my 9 yr old beagle or my 5 yr old shizuterrior mix. What is another way to rid my two babies of their flea problem. If I got to bake it, cook it, or whatever I have no problem doing so. My beagle is diabetic so whatever it is has to be suitable for her as well as my mixed male. If anyone knows of anything that will work please please help it will be so appreciated.

6 Susan Higgins { 02.03.17 at 8:57 am }

Hi off2florida2 – No, do NOT substitute active dry yeast. This is a completely different product as brewer’s yeast. Take a look at this article here: http://farmersalmanac.com/food/2011/12/05/what-the-heck-is-nutritional-yeast/
We have also emailed you this information.

7 off2florida2 { 02.03.17 at 4:50 am }

Is it safe to substitute the brewers yeast with Active Dry Yeast when preparing the flea-be-gone treats? And if so, what would the measurement be?

8 kactuskandy { 12.02.16 at 10:36 am }

Hi Carol. Try http://www.arbico.com This is a great company for all natural needs

9 Scott { 09.09.16 at 4:01 pm }

Does this formula protect the dogs from mosquitoes as well? Southern Mississippi, and we have lots of them, nearly year around.

10 Susan Higgins { 09.07.16 at 4:41 pm }

Hi Pauline Blackburn: Try some of these remedies here: http://farmersalmanac.com/home-garden/2015/05/25/natural-ways-to-combat-fleas/

11 Abigail { 09.05.16 at 10:43 am }

I’ve used Apple cider vinegar in small amounts. I’ve been told you can soak them in it; but my cats hate baths and I hate getting scratched up. Hehe… so I give them small drops..

12 pauline blackburn { 09.04.16 at 9:32 am }

I have seven cats every day I use a comb on them but still they havev fleas can anyone help

13 Julie { 11.04.16 at 4:41 pm }

I am a certified veterinary technician that works as a ER nurse and I run a blood bank. Garlic is not ok for your dog. Any plant in the onion family is not ok for your dog. In small quanties it won’t do permanent damage but it is harmful. Onion/garlic ingestion causes Heinz body anemia. If your dog has enough of a reaction, the red blood cells in the body won’t work properly and won’t be able to circulate oxygen throughout the body. Further more, your pet my need a transfusion. At home remidies like these don’t work for fleas anyways. You pet should be on proper flea and tick preventatives.

14 Bob { 07.10.16 at 9:03 pm }

I think the garlic depends on the dog. I gave our 13 lb dog some garlic powder according to her weight and she spent the next 24 hrs throwing up. The only thing different she had was the garlic.

15 Vicki { 06.14.16 at 9:46 pm }

I have been a licensed dept of agriculture dog bakery for the past 12 years. They monitor every ingredient I put in every treat. Garlic is safe for dogs, most people assume that because it is part of the onion family it is toxic to dogs but that is untrue.

16 Carol Morris { 11.04.16 at 1:06 pm }

Where can I get nematodes and how were they applied?

17 Sharon from texas { 08.08.16 at 2:04 pm }

Hi Connie. Where do you buy this stuff and if you don’t mind how much is it? I have 1 cat that is in/out, 1 only inside, and right now 3 babies trying to fi homes for homes for. All have fleas bad.

18 Connie { 06.14.16 at 12:12 am }

2 dogs & 1 cat inside–1 cat outside. Had a horrible flea infestation after moving into current home. Bought & applied beneficial nematodes last summer & this spring. Zero fleas on any of the animals. Completely non toxic to people & animals. Best money I’ve ever spent.

19 Antoine { 06.13.16 at 11:28 pm }
20 Connie Clark { 04.23.16 at 11:34 pm }

Hey Kim J from Texas…I live in the Houston area and the fleas are horrible. What have you used that is successful? 2 dogs with fleas are enough to drive a nondrinker to be an alcoholic.

21 Kim j { 04.23.16 at 10:43 pm }

Doesn’t work in Texas. 🙁

22 Gwynn { 04.11.16 at 11:19 am }

How often do you give these treats and does this work on cats?

23 David Landers { 03.25.16 at 9:37 am }

Many Treats and how often should be given?

24 Shirley Woods { 03.14.16 at 9:03 pm }

Is the flour called for plain or self-rising?

25 Susan Higgins { 11.07.16 at 12:42 pm }

L.shel – that is correct. Brewer’s yeast, or “nutritional yeast” is a completely different source. http://farmersalmanac.com/food/2011/12/05/what-the-heck-is-nutritional-yeast/

26 L.shel. { 06.14.16 at 2:13 pm }

I would strongly suggest NOT using active dry yeast, as it can be incredibly toxic to dogs. Use only brewers yeast.

27 Shirley Woods { 03.09.16 at 11:54 am }

Can active dry yeast be used in place of brewers yeast?

28 Kari { 03.07.16 at 11:40 pm }

Kelley, wheat germ is in the cereal isle. Usually near the top.

29 Kari { 03.07.16 at 11:39 pm }

I’m going to try this with olive oil and vegetable broth. My dog is allergic to chicken…

30 Meredith { 03.07.16 at 8:42 pm }

This is listed below the recipe.
Important note: The garlic powder has been removed from the original recipe. Many dog owners wrote to us, expressing their concern, citing raw garlic can be toxic to some dogs. While others have read of it’s many health benefits. If you choose to add it, the recipe calls for 1 TBL garlic POWDER. But please check with your vet first. The brewer’s yeast in this recipe is the most important component of this recipe for natural flea repellent.

31 Kim { 03.07.16 at 7:50 pm }

Does the flour in the mix make a difference? I have gluten issues and dont keep flour in the house but i have other types as options like almond coconut rice etc

32 Drema G. C. { 02.03.16 at 10:07 am }

I have also given my horses 1-tsp. Garlic powder sprinkled with their food. It helps with flies. I had 3 horses, one lived to be 35-1/2 years old. So all the years I used must garlic must not have harmed them. The other 2 are 16 & 7

33 Oma { 01.13.16 at 1:12 pm }

read Dr. Pitcairns book, my dogs #75 lbs plus get a clove of garlic every day, I don’t use brewers yeast it’s stuff that’s swept up from breweries floors, use nutritional yeast from health food store, I don’t use heart worm meds or flea treatments, all can cause cancer, i will not put chemicals on my animals, I have them tested for heart worm once a year, in 30 years never a positive, never any fleas, ticks or heart worm, don’t believe everything you read, research the source

34 Iva Lindsay { 12.13.15 at 2:13 am }

I have just mixed the brewer’s yeast with their wet food – about 1 t.

35 Mary Stanley { 12.12.15 at 2:21 pm }

Does not list garlic powder in ingredients but in the directions it says mix garlic powder with vegetable oil.

36 Mary { 12.11.15 at 7:59 pm }

Brewers yeast tablets fortified with garlic also work for fleas. You see results once your pet gets these into their system month or so. They go by your dogs weight. I used these for 3 of my dogs and never had a flea issue. Find them at pet and farm stores.

37 Margaret { 12.10.15 at 2:17 pm }

Does this also work for cats?

38 emja { 10.22.15 at 8:19 am }

Garlic powder is not listed in the ingredients

39 Shelley { 10.08.15 at 12:44 pm }

They have dosage chart for the safe amount of garlic. I believe it’s on this site somewhere. It goes by the weight of your dog.

40 Phil { 10.04.15 at 10:01 am }

We’ve turkey treats for our girls over the years and they always include a moderate amount of granulated garlic. I made a batch of these flea treats and included the garlic (1 T.) and the girls love them, and no more itchy and scratchy.

41 danialle { 09.13.15 at 1:48 pm }

If you’re not using a monthly topical flea treatment, make sure to give your pet a monthly heartworm preventative.

42 Savannah Lee Eicher { 09.12.15 at 6:32 pm }

I plan to make these and will be including the garlic powder. Gasp!–our three dogs regularly eat leftovers that contain garlic and have had no problems. As with all things in life: All things in moderation!

43 Susan Higgins { 09.11.15 at 8:53 am }

Hi Valerie, we removed this optional ingredient from the recipe due to an outpouring of concern over feeding dogs garlic. Despite our research findings and consultations with several vets, who tell us that small doses of granulated garlic pose no threats (in fact many dog owners use garlic in holistic treatments), we felt it was better to simply take it out of the recipe altogether since it was optional.The recipe originally called for 1 tablespoon for the batch.

44 Valerie { 09.11.15 at 8:34 am }

there is no measurement given for the garlic in the defiance list.

45 Cheryl { 09.10.15 at 3:18 pm }

DE – diaoromaceous earth should be of food quality! Only use the food quality!!!

46 Jamie { 09.10.15 at 8:53 am }

What bout cats can they eat it or what kinda treats for them…I always see things for dogs…come one there is cat owners out there too w cats who have fleas

47 Jennifer { 09.09.15 at 7:55 pm }

We use DE ( diatomaceous earth). Put in on their fur, on their food. We sprinkle it all over the yard. It kills anything with an exoskeleton. And it’s cheap. We get it at a feed store. Plus, it’s human consumption safe.

48 ilvmy19d { 09.09.15 at 7:43 pm }

garlic CAN be toxic to dogs. Not is toxic, Can be toxic. All things in moderation. We have treated out dogs with garlic for more than 15 yrs and never had any trouble. We’ve never had trouble with fleas. Ticks are more difficult and require a higher dosage of garlic. Some small dogs are just too sensitive to give any garlic to. But do your own research, don’t just take people’s knee-jerk reaction of NEVER give garlic to a dog. Its just not true!

49 sherry { 09.09.15 at 7:29 pm }

For then to be effective how many and how often. I have two 100# babies and two Chihuahua babies as well. Any thoughts would be great.

50 Alicia { 09.09.15 at 4:38 pm }

Dipping them in water with dawn dish soap in it will kill them, also Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo! Also white vinegar will repel them, you can try putting a little in their water bowl or in the water you rinse the dish soap off with! (All works for both cats and dogs!)

51 FitchFace { 09.09.15 at 4:22 pm }

Never put garlic in food for dogs and cats. It’s highly toxic for them! Try just mixing the brewers yeast into wet food. They actually love the taste. https://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health-toxins/Garlic-Toxicity-and-Pets.aspx

52 tammie { 09.09.15 at 4:14 pm }

like to knw more about this

53 Rachel { 09.09.15 at 2:56 pm }

I had problems with fleas on our newly adopted kitten that we rescued last October. She was half a pound, and only 4 wks, so too young and small for treatments. I bathed her in dawn dish soap and added a drop of lavender essential oil. This worked! Now, I bathe all of the cats (we have 4) in baby soap mixed with a couple of drops of lavender. It’s gentle on their sensitive skin, and the lavender does repel fleas. Then use frontline and haven’t had any problems

54 john { 09.09.15 at 2:52 pm }

Garlic is poisonous to dogs!! It may be good to keep fleas away but can cause blood trouble with dogs

55 Amanda { 09.09.15 at 2:36 pm }

@kelly. Garlic is NOT good for cats. It is a poison to cats.

56 Debbie { 09.09.15 at 2:14 pm }

I used to sit down on the bathroom floor with my cats and remove fleas with flea comb and dump them into the toilet with Pine-sol. It killed them. I applied brewer’s yeast into their coat with my bare hands. I bought the brewers yeast at a local health store. My vet didn’t like that. He said it didn’t work, but it did.

57 Cynthia { 09.09.15 at 1:47 pm }

Could you send me a recipe for cat fleas Thank you

58 Susan Higgins { 09.09.15 at 1:48 pm }

Hi Mary, if you don’t want to use chemicals, try a flea comb and a bowl of soapy water to drown the fleas in. If your pet will sit quietly for you, that is. But those are the best for ridding of fleas. The other is diatomaceous earth, which you can get on Amazon very cheaply. It’s mentioned in the article here: http://farmersalmanac.com/home-garden/2015/05/25/natural-ways-to-combat-fleas/

59 Mary { 09.09.15 at 1:29 pm }

PLEASE, can you give me a recipe for fleasbegone for CATS? Don’t think my cats would eat this. Any suggestions for a topical recipe? Thank you!!!

60 Joy { 09.09.15 at 1:00 pm }

Misty get at whole foods or any health food store. They might even carry it at some grocery stores..

61 christine millis { 09.09.15 at 12:56 pm }

where can I get been seed

62 Misty Kelley { 09.09.15 at 12:52 pm }

What is wheat germ n where do I get it ????thank you

63 Wawa momma { 09.09.15 at 12:42 pm }

The Garlic powder is for taste,the Brewers yeast is the actual active ingredient against fleas.

64 Susan Higgins { 09.09.15 at 12:43 pm }

Hi Kelley, give as you would any other treats. And yes, it’s safe for cats, if they like them.

65 Kelley { 09.07.15 at 6:43 am }

How many “treats” should be fed, and how often? Is this also good for cats?