Waning Crescent

The Farmers Almanac
PRE-ORDER our 200th Year
2018 Edition!

Getting Rid of Poison Ivy

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Add to Google+ Share on Pinterest Subscribe by Email Print This Post
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy

This is the time of year when just about everything grows. That includes poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac, and other undesirable plants. Poison ivy is particularly annoying and difficult to remove from your property. Nearly 85% of the population is allergic to these plants — and the reaction to the plant’s urushiol (the oily substance that causes the rash) can vary. In some cases, highly-sensitive people can get a reaction simply by standing near the plant (a breeze carries it), while others can roll around and be perfectly content.

Here are some non-chemical methods you might try to remove poison ivy from your property:

• Remove the entire plant — leaves, stems and root. You have to be sure to get it all. And, wear long pants, long sleeved shirts and thick gloves – plastic or heavy cotton. Be sure to wash all clothing afterward.
  • Put the entire plant in a plastic bag and dispose of it.
  • Make a mixture of 1 cup of salt, 1 gallon of vinegar and 8 drops of liquid dish soap. Combine the salt and vinegar in a pan and heat to dissolve the salt. Allow it to cool, then add the liquid detergent and put the mixture in a spray bottle. You can spray the poison ivy or pour it directly on the plant. This will kill all vegetation, so be sure to only apply it to the poison ivy.
  • Some have claimed that pouring bleach on the plant will have the same effect, however, this classifies as a chemical method.
  • If you happen to have a goat or cow handy, they just love to eat it — without any side effects!
  • Another technique to clear the area of poison ivy is by planting grass seed. Ivy will not grow where there is a lawn. I tried this at my cottage and it worked. The only downside is that it takes time, but, once you have grass, you won’t have poison ivy.

Do you have a special technique to get rid of poison ivy? Share the tip with us in the comments section, below!

Articles you might also like...

1 Lisa { 06.20.17 at 12:53 pm }

My poison ivy is between my house n concrete drive slab. We have a handicap ramp n thats where my dog lays so now he has it and digs at it with hair loss on his back side. I need it gone.

2 Bill Adams { 06.19.17 at 7:36 pm }

I rake up the roots and let the plants dry out and decompose. Cover up if you do this though because sap droplets can spray if you snap a root off. On trees I cut the base of the vine with a pole saw and let the vine dry up.

3 Susan S { 05.24.17 at 10:49 am }

I have found the suggested weed killer to be effective. But don’t use it where you want anything to grow! If you spray a weed in your lawn the weed will die but you may have a hard time getting anything (like more grass) to grow in that spot. It is a great formula for weeds that grow between bricks in a sidewalk.

4 Kat { 05.10.17 at 2:05 pm }

Salt will kill all the plants in the area so it is better to pull it out than try to spray it.

5 Emmett { 04.26.17 at 8:59 am }

Lynn, I had the same problem with established P.I. growing up trees. Use a machete or hatchet and cut about a three foot section out of the vine growing up the tree. Remove this section by prying it off the tree and get rid of it. Then pour weed killer, bleach or the vinegar,salt dish soap on the lower vine coming out of the ground after cutting at ground level. The tree top level vines can be pulled out of the tree after they are good and dead or just left there.

6 jen { 04.04.17 at 11:12 am }

We had a very large area of poison ivy in our backyard. In a spray container I dissolved 1/2 c of salt in 1/4 Gallon of water then added 1t of dawn soap and Vinegar to top off. I sprayed the Poison Ivy. After the second spray it started to shrivel and brown. That’s when the deer came and ate it all. Perfect!

7 Tommy Kline { 03.29.17 at 5:04 pm }

Can you use the poison ivy vinegar mixture under the drip line of trees, particularly pine
trees

8 Sharon { 09.12.16 at 11:59 am }

We have lots of poison ivy in the wooded areas around our house. I find it growing in our front lawn all the time and it is very well kept so I have to disagree with the notion that it doesn’t grown in grass.
When i dig it up I use a plastic bag that newspapers come in to put over my gloved hand so as I dig I can also pull. You can then just pull the bag right off over the poison ivy and tie it closed without coming in contact with it.

9 mike h { 06.23.16 at 11:59 am }

Is any particular kind of salt, vinegar, or detergent required? I see they sell horticultural vinegar for $35 a gallon. I figure walmart vinegar, salt, and detergent are worth a try…

10 Mackenzie { 06.01.16 at 8:46 am }

Funny because I have a few random poison ivy shoots up in the middle of my grass! Going to try the vinegar mixture as all I have to do is look at the PI and I get a reaction.

11 Jeff heinz { 07.05.16 at 12:45 pm }

Cut the stalk and fold paper towel and lay on cut. Pour concentrated poisson ivey killer on towel. Cover with sandwich bay and wrap rubber band to hold bag closed. Check in a few days and reapply killer as needed. Next season, no ivey. DO NOT CUT AND NOT FOLLOW WITH TREATMENT. This will kill all roots.

12 Lynn { 05.28.14 at 11:14 pm }

I have some well established poison ivy plants growing up some pine trees. They have giant root things on them. How do I get rid of that? I have 2 trees like this. The vines growing up the tree are about 6 to 8″ in diameter.

13 Jaime McLeod { 08.06.13 at 8:33 am }

Hi Mary Jo,
It’s probably best to just continually pull up the poison ivy if you want to be sure to keep your other plants safe.

Wear heavy duty gloves, keep your forearms and legs covered, and change clothes immediately.

14 Mary Jo Anzel { 08.02.13 at 7:02 pm }

Hi
My poison ivy is in between / and wrapped around several small bushes i.e. hydrangeas and spirea. Will this treatment hurt the these shrubs?

If you notice a hole in the upper left-hand corner of your Farmers' Almanac, don't return it to the store! That hole isn't a defect; it's a part of history. Starting with the first edition of the Farmers' Almanac in 1818, readers used to nail holes into the corners to hang it up in their homes, barns, and outhouses (to provide both reading material and toilet paper). In 1919, the Almanac's publishers began pre-drilling holes in the corners to make it even easier for readers to keep all of that invaluable information (and paper) handy.

Spring Is Here – Sign Up Today!

The Farmers' Almanac is a gardener's best friend. Get 365 days of access to our online weather and gardening calendars + a copy of the 2017 Almanac
for only $13.99 $11.99!