Waning Crescent

More Shivery And Shovelry! Read Our 2015 Winter Forecast.

More Shivery And Shovelry! Read Our 2015 Winter Forecast.

This forecast is for the U.S. For the Canadian forecast, click here.

After the frigid, bitterly cold, and snow-filled winter last year, many of you are wondering just what this winter might bring. Could it possibly be as bad as last?

According to the 2015 edition of the Farmers’ Almanac, the winter of 2014–15 will see below-normal temperatures for about three-quarters of the nation. A large zone of very cold temperatures will be found from east of the Continental Divide east to the Appalachians. The most frigid temperatures will be found from the Northern Plains into the Great Lakes. The coldest outbreak of the season will come during the final week of January into the beginning of February, when frigid arctic air drops temperatures across the Northern Plains to perhaps 40 below zero. As the frigid air blows across the Great Lakes, snow showers and squalls will drop heavy amounts of snow to the lee of the Lakes.

No region will see prolonged spells of above-normal temperatures; only near the West and East Coasts will temperatures average close to normal.

Over the eastern third of the country, we are expecting an active storm track with a number of storms delivering copious amounts of snow and rain. Near-normal precipitation is expected for the Pacific Northwest, the Southwest States, and Northern Plains, while below-normal precipitation values are forecast for the Southwest States as well as the Upper Midwest and the Great Lakes. The Central and Southern Plains are expected to receive above-average precipitation.

We are “red flagging” the first 10 days of January and the first week of February along the Atlantic Seaboard for active wintry weather featuring bouts of heavy precipitation and strong winds. Another red flag timeframe for widespread wintry conditions is the middle part of March from the nation’s midsection to the East Coast.

Potential El Niño is an Uncertain Element
As we were putting the finishing touches on this year’s long-range projections, the National Oceanic Atmospheric and Administration issued an official El Niño watch. An El Niño is a warming of the central Pacific once every few years, from a combination of wind and waves in the tropics. It shakes up climate around the world, changing rain and temperature patterns. An El Niño could result in more rain this winter for drought-stricken California and Southern States, and a milder winter for the nation’s frigid northern tier. El Niños are usually strongest from December to April, but there’s no guarantee that we will see one this winter. We’ll just have to wait and see, but in the mean time, all of us at the Farmers’ Almanac suggest you stock up on firewood, sweaters, and hot cocoa. It certainly looks like another long winter of shivery and shovelry is on tap.

What’s in store for next summer’s weather? Get 16 months of forecasts in one place. Order your 2015 Farmers’ Almanac today!

1 Allan Alexander { 09.16.14 at 11:32 pm }

Normally what I notice and I am by no means a weather guru, but when the lakes don’t warm too much ( I Live in Michigan) the snowfall is less than normal and with a below normal summer I think the snowfall will be much less than last couple years. Yes it could be colder but I don’t see it overall as cold as last year.

2 Lisa Enger { 09.16.14 at 10:59 pm }

Beth Estes,

I live in Mobile, Alabama and we there have been quite a few Canadian Geese arriving in my area over the last few days. They typically winter in several locations near my house. I was a little surprised to see them this early. This is as far south as they can go in the continental U.S. other than Florida.

3 Dawn { 09.16.14 at 11:38 am }

I have read “farmers” forecast. I live in Michigan, I believe that Mother Nature can not be forecast and told what to do.. She just might fool everyone… “I think we are in for a mild winter” We hard a harsh winter 13-14 and a cool way below normal 14 Summer, so I put 2 and 2 together and it comes out a mild winter 14-15. I just feel it in my bones. Boy I hope “Farmers” is wrong cant afford another below freezing -10 winter,

4 Setting the Mood: Falling for You | Why Did You Wear That? { 09.15.14 at 6:28 pm }

[…] the bins under your bed.  Enjoy the brief pause that is fall and brace yourselves for what the Farmer’s Almanac is predicting to be one wild […]

5 Jose Fuentes { 09.14.14 at 8:09 pm }

I would like to know what weather would it be like in the next 3 month in Maui, Hawaii

6 Lynn Grier { 09.14.14 at 12:42 pm }

Is Florida in for more cold weather and rain or just the normal weather we receive at winter?

7 Here's How Little Time We Have Until Global Warming Is Out Of Control - Shooting Sports Forum { 09.13.14 at 8:48 pm }

[…] […]

8 William M Durham { 09.13.14 at 2:36 pm }

Well again I have wasted my time. Just wanted to know if it would be a wet November an December but no I get a rash of crap that theys me nothing more than I could guess. Why no simple yes or no answers? Will it be wet or dry, is that to had. And as for the early September Hurricane threat, where is it? Again wild ass guesses

9 abcm104 { 09.12.14 at 11:38 pm }

Hi,
I am in AZ. Can you clarify? Are we near normal or below normal?

Thanks!

10 Are the Farmers Almanac Winter Forecasts Accurate? - Wx Or Not BG | Wx Or Not BG - Landon Hampton, Meteorologist { 09.12.14 at 6:01 pm }

[…] of the most popular winter forecasts can be found in the Old Farmers Almanac and Farmers Almanac. But on what criteria do they base their forecast and how accurate are […]

11 Crabapples and Emotions: Marketing Like You Never Knew | Adunate Word & Design { 09.12.14 at 4:42 pm }

[…] Almanac agrees because last week it came out with its Winter Outlook 2015: More Shivery and Shovelry! As if all this isn’t enough, today I was in a hardware store that was running a special on […]

12 Terry King { 09.12.14 at 11:11 am }

Where can I find the Almanac’s prediction for Alaska for 2015? Just wondering if there will be more than normal snowfall/colder than normal temps there this year.

13 val { 09.11.14 at 8:56 pm }

WoW New York always gets hit bad I’m sick of New York and high utilitie bill’s, and i have my heater sent at 75 in the winter and it turns on every five minutes, everyone just can’t pick up and move where it’s warm I wish down south can have the real cold weather and snow for once, I can deal with the cold more then all this snow seriously I don’t even know why we snow blow or shovel it just keeps coming back, and I swear about time we shovel or snowblow it come down even harder, but we usually put on christmas lights up in october so were not out in the freezing cold and snow trying to hang lights.

14 for Christopher Laing { 09.11.14 at 7:00 pm }

I’d rather put my confidence in the Farmer’s Almanac then in the government controlled weather media any day simply because at least the Almanac people are just trying to tell it like it is without trying to put their spin on it to try and gain more control of our lives with all this global warming oh, oh, sorry, I meant climate change.

By the way has anyone seen of heard from Al Gore lately?????

15 Roma { 09.10.14 at 10:49 pm }

I say turn off the t.v. and open up the Almanac….it has always given me better and more accurate weather then t.v. It seems to follow trends and patterns of the years and has established a better predicability for me. Thanks Farmer’s Almanac!

16 zodee { 09.10.14 at 6:43 pm }

The farmers almanac is the best weather forecast I have ever known.

17 shinin down like water | Six Ten { 09.10.14 at 5:38 pm }

[…] huddled masses during what the 2015 Farmer’s Almanac promises to be another spectacularly heinous winter) and an air conditioner that crapped the bed during the only three days of the year in which I […]

18 kally { 09.10.14 at 4:10 pm }

we have a home in wi and one in fla.west coast-bradenton. when we leave wi shud we turn off the water and how low shud we turn the tenperature down///////////////?

19 4 homeowner tips on preparing your yard for winter | CapwestMortgage.com { 09.10.14 at 3:33 pm }

[…] winter of 2014 and 2015 will bring below-normal temperatures for about 75 percent of the nation, according to the Farmer's Almanac. The west […]

20 Brandi Heitz { 09.10.14 at 9:12 am }

I was just wondering if NE Mississippi will see a significant snow this winter? I have been canning all kinds of things for winter. Just curious about the snow. Thanks

21 "Record-Shattering Snowfall" Story Is Fake { 09.10.14 at 1:21 am }

[…] winter weather outlook look like? I clicked over to the ‘Old Farmers Almanac’ site, and here is what they have to say for the Midwest/Great Lakes region. It doesn’t look to […]

22 Courtney Overstreet { 09.09.14 at 8:05 pm }

My husband and I just moved from the thumb of Michigan to southern Georgia, and as much as we miss our family and friends… reading this makes me love the south THAT much more :) peace out snow!

23 Tikidude { 09.09.14 at 7:17 pm }

Don’t know why Florida is thrown in with the rest of the Southeast. We’re in the sub-tropics idiots. Cold weather usually lasts a day! I haven’t turned my heat on in years and I’m in Central Florida! Winter rocks!!!Can’t wait for cool weather and a bajillion tourists!

24 It's Finally Happened! { 09.09.14 at 6:45 pm }

[…] fencing, etc. is not as important right now, in September, as a tractor with a shovel to plow out. More Shivery And Shovelry! Read Our 2015 Winter Forecast. – Farmers' Almanac Yes, it's a LOT of work, and when you have to put in a 9-5 daily grind, sometimes you think you'll […]

25 Kristen { 09.09.14 at 12:04 pm }

From Erie, PA…you know,the city that tracked the most snowfall in the entire US for several weeks. You can take that snow and shove it, I’m moving to Hawaii!

26 Storm tracker { 09.09.14 at 9:10 am }

Interesting attitude Bob ….. just might wanna have that snow blower tuned up, in the event the “shit” their talking about does happen!

27 Bob from Tennessee { 09.09.14 at 5:59 am }

You people are so boring get real no one can predict the future shit happens wether we like it or not it might be 65 all winter who knows

28 Anita { 09.08.14 at 9:21 pm }

I LIVE IN WASHINGTON STATE, AND IM SURE WELL JUST GET THE USUAL RAIN AND FREEZING TEMPS ALL WINTER HERE AS USUAL :)

29 Gsirois { 09.08.14 at 5:03 pm }

Love it, work all summer to get ready for winter. Snowshoeing and I love it. God bless Northern Maine. We are ready for anything.

30 jennifer lichva { 09.08.14 at 8:56 am }

Do not need cold and snow to be heavy in Upstate NY people still paying their utility bills from last yr some doubled over previous.You folks that are complaining about heat in winter come up here you will soon change mind.

31 snailbait { 09.08.14 at 4:43 am }

People, people, people. Don’t you understand that this is a one part free preview? If you want to know what your specific area is forecast for this winter, you have to buy the Farmers Almanac.

32 Ashley { 09.08.14 at 1:28 am }

Gosh I hope not I’m getting married, I’ve got kids and I can’t drive in the stuff I care for my niece who can’t miss school God be with us

33 Jessica { 09.08.14 at 1:11 am }

hahaha Ken Barlow – I hope we have a snowy winter – I would like to see a big snow, but I will settle for a little :)

34 Jolyne D. { 09.07.14 at 8:00 pm }

We had an excessive amount of snow the winter of 2010-2011. I remember this because it was the year our daughter died and we had two grandchildren living with us.

35 Mike { 09.07.14 at 7:42 pm }

Remember the big snowstorm they forecast for the Super Bowl? How did that work out.

36 Standby Generator Fall Maintenance and Winter Preparation | Norwall PowerSystems Blog { 09.05.14 at 6:41 pm }

[…] during the winter of 2014 caught many people by surprise. People should be less surprised that the Farmer’s Almanac is predicting much of the same for this winter, just a few months […]

37 Next Winter is Coming: Will Natural Gas Supplies be Sufficient? - Part II | Echelon IM { 09.05.14 at 3:16 am }

[…] Farmers Almanac has forecasted another colder than average winter for the 2014-2015 season using methodology that dates back to 1792. The system is known to only a […]

38 Tuesdae { 09.04.14 at 6:51 pm }

I cannot WAIT for the winter months to get here…oh my goodness. I LOVE it when the stores start putting out their Christmas decorations because that lets me know that the temps are going to start getting milder soon. It has been so miserable in North Carolina over the last couple of weeks of August and the beginning of September. I will be glad to see some freezing rain, some ice, some sleet and definitely some snow!!!!!

39 Jose A. { 09.04.14 at 11:30 am }

I’m sad to say goodbye to the summer. I dread the winter for the most part. This doesn’t mean I dislike the weather, despite my sensitivity to the cold. The only thing, though, is the Southwest states. Will they get near normal or below normal precipitation? I live in California and I am wondering if it will get more rain.

40 Farmers’ Almanac is predicting a COLD Winter ahead! | Heating and Cooling Two Blog { 09.03.14 at 3:22 pm }

[…] The 2014-2015 edition predicts that three-quarters of the nation will experience below-normal temperatures. The most frigid temps will be found from the Northern Plains to the Great Lakes. And if you’re planning a tropical vacation, you might want to schedule it for January through the beginning of February, when the frigid, arctic air will drop temperatures to 40 below 0 across the Great Lakes. “We are red-flagging the first 10 days of January and the first week of February along the Atlantic seaboard for active wintry weather featuring bouts of heavy precipitation and strong winds,” says Caleb Weatherbee, the official forecaster for the Farmers’ Almanac. […]

41 blizzardof96 { 09.02.14 at 5:56 pm }

Although I do think something similar to this outlook is definitely possible, some factors will need to come together in order for the trough placement to work out. Most, if not all of these factors should come together IMO.

1) Some retrogression of the ENSO anomalies, so the final product is either a modiki or a hybrid el nino

2) Solar decline or levelling as we move through the fall/winter

3) Continuation of the Gulf of alaska warm pool

4) QBO peak post winter

5) El nino anomalies staying moderate/weak.

My outlook is similar: http://torontowxcenter.blogspot.ca/p/preliminary-winter-2013-15-outlook.html

42 The letdown - Alberta Venture { 09.02.14 at 4:15 pm }

[…] average, has natural gas bulls salivating at the prospect of another cold winter. And that’s precisely what they’re going to get, according to the 2015 Farmers’ Almanac. “A large zone of very cold temperatures will be found […]

43 ***Seasonal Forecast Series*** | power-addiction { 09.02.14 at 1:03 pm }

[…] draw is that the forecast is incredibly vague, and as a result, probably decently accurate. Their website lists a series of “correctly forecasted” weather events over the past century. In short, […]

44 debra Payne { 09.01.14 at 10:51 pm }

What type of winter will we have my kids wants snow I want 65and above

45 elizabeth miller { 09.01.14 at 7:16 pm }

what’s the weather going to be like in the Anderson Indiana area.

46 Tim { 09.01.14 at 12:09 pm }

what is the weather going to look like for troutdale,oregon?

47 sandee { 08.31.14 at 6:20 pm }

What’s the difference between wintery, wet and white and crisp and very stormy? The latter is forecasted for NJ. I hope this doesn’t mean more Nor’easters. I don’t think our coastline can handle more of what they suffered the last two years since Sandy.

48 Winter Weather 2015 - Smart Suburban Survival { 08.30.14 at 6:55 pm }

[…] can find more by going to their 2015 Winter Forecast page but here is a quick […]

49 Sandra Garis { 08.30.14 at 3:09 pm }

I hope fla. has really cold winter last year we had no cold days, we get hot so much that we need cold days,just stay here in summer and you will be ready for cold to.

50 What's your temperature - Page 264 - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum { 08.30.14 at 12:07 pm }

[…] the winter forecast is out More Shivery And Shovelry! Read Our 2015 Winter Forecast. – Farmers' Almanac __________________ '07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC […]

51 Will Obama’s War on Coal Cause Blackouts Next Winter | Give Me Liberty { 08.29.14 at 8:01 pm }

[…] 2015 edition of the Farmers’ Almanac anticipates that next winter, “will see below-normal temperatures for […]

52 Jack Bloss { 08.29.14 at 12:47 pm }

Haha. National Oceanic Atmospheric AND Administration? Yeah good you spelled wrong the only reliable winter forecast source. Anyone who reads this comment, you need to realize that the confidence in this forecast is incredibly low. There are only a few factors that can help them create the winter outlook but most of the forecast is based off trends which is why El Nino is so important and yet they just mention it like its a side not but it really decides just about everything. So the fact that they already have an outlook out when they dont know whether theres going to be an El Nino or not means the forecast is complete bogus. And they have very little ability to forecast specific events such as the heavy snows in early January. They probably just looked at climatology and said thats the snowiest time for that area on average. Look at the National Oceanic AND Atmospheric Administration in a couple months and they may not seem as definite in theire winter outlook or as detailed but thats because they’re being as detailed as they can be.

53 Faith Dejohn { 08.29.14 at 7:40 am }

When will this bad weather start i live in lisbon falls,Maine and how much snow will we be getting

54 Lydia { 08.29.14 at 5:53 am }

California needs rain!
I’m praying for a wet winter!
I swear last year I was wearing shorts all year. It feels like it has been forever since California has had some chilly weather.

55 michelle { 08.28.14 at 11:14 pm }

Please send rain to California all of our lakes and trees and agg, is suffering .Almanac God please send us much needed rain . So many fires animals are all down looking for water and food.

56 Cheerful Agent { 08.28.14 at 10:47 pm }

Boca’s Raton,FL is gorgeous in the winter. Plan your vacation with my help today.

57 Florida transplant { 08.28.14 at 10:43 pm }

South Florida has great winter weather. Come on down!

58 Farmers’ Almanac Winter – Weather Forecast – ALL YOU | Deals, coupons, savings, sweepstakes and more… { 08.28.14 at 5:30 pm }

[…] 2015 winter outlook, which warns for “More Shivery and Shovelry!” is forecasting for below-normal […]

59 John Barczak { 08.28.14 at 2:07 pm }

Last year the snow was white gold. I have 11/2 years to go before I can retire and finally get a pension out of this place. Here’s to upping my average. I hope all the storms hit on Friday afternoon and end on Sunday. Cha ching!

60 Farmers’ Almanac winter forecast for 2014–15 is looking good | All In Action Sports { 08.28.14 at 1:45 pm }

[…] time of year, the Farmers’ Almanac is the Bible for snowboarders smited by the summertime blues. Fortunately the good folks at the […]

61 just some guy { 08.28.14 at 12:45 pm }

when the fuck did we get ice cream?

62 meliss { 08.28.14 at 9:44 am }

Does anyone know what northwest Nebraska will be like? We didn’t get much snow and not to bad on the temps. I would love to see a lot of snow this year!

63 Farmer's Almanac's 2015 Winter Forecast Predicting "More Shivery and Shovelry" - Fellon-McCord - Fellon-McCord { 08.28.14 at 6:29 am }

[…] the Old Farmer’s Almanac (“Almanac”), the 223-year-old chronicler of weather and climate, released their 2014-15 winter forecast.  The New Hampshire-based Almanac is predicting a “super-cold” solution to winter for the […]

64 Kevin 1936 { 08.28.14 at 1:11 am }

Here in E TN near Smoky Mountains we had several times at zero or below last winter with of course much colder above 4500ft but we did have some nights 15-20 then a few even in the high 30s so was above freezing a few night but to most it was cold. We are back in a cold phase just has we had 30 years warm phase then 30 cold before that so just be ready from TN Northward for those zero or below winter nights and even in TX some freezes or even north FL a few freezes each winter but the snows of significance as usual will be TN Northward so make fun of it. Get out and enjoy. Summer is way too hot here but we did have 50* a couple nights in July.

65 Tylnorton { 08.28.14 at 12:20 am }

So, the “Wintery, White, and Wet” part… I live in in the northeast of mass at average of 53.7 inches of snowfall. Does that mean an above normal snowfall or average?

66 Trudie Sandberg { 08.27.14 at 4:16 pm }

I am east of Austin and last winter was frigid…at least for this Texas girl. The 20 to 30 degree temps wouldn’t have been so bad if it weren’t for the 30-40 mile an hour winds…OMG! Ice and snow a few times kept us indoors except for cattle feeding and breaking ice in the troughs…even the cattle stayed in the barn on some days…it was winter on this hill!

67 g500d { 08.27.14 at 10:31 am }

Looks like some really good New England skiing. Yep.

68 Shawn { 08.27.14 at 9:37 am }

Sounds like we will have more of this wintery weather like last year in Buffalo, NY! BUMMER!

69 2015 Winter Forecast | Sanctuary Gardener { 08.27.14 at 7:07 am }

[…] Per the Farmers’ Almanac, three-fourths of the United States will experience below normal temperatures this winter. The coldest areas will be the northern plains to the Great Lakes area. (That’s typical, isn’t it?) The coldest time period will be end of January/beginning of February, especially in the northern plains where temperatures could dip to 40 degrees below zero! Brrr! The only places that will experience close to average winter temperatures are the west and east coasts. (Hopefully, that includes the South!) […]

70 joan { 08.26.14 at 11:31 am }

Right back at you, micabrown, of tx.! Living close to the border, appreciate a break from the heat, high humidity, blazing sun. Last winter was a relief, so we are hopeful for the return of the Polar Vortex and another real winter. Already looking for more suitable coats, maybe even a hat!

71 Four systems being watched by Hurricane Center; rip current advisory for beaches | Weather Matters { 08.26.14 at 9:28 am }

[…] NEWS: Well, at least that’s how the Farmer’s Almanac headlined the release of its winter forecast on Monday by Caleb Weatherbee, a pseudonym that has […]

72 Checking On Cristobal, Rip Currents Stick Around | WAVY.com Blogs { 08.26.14 at 9:10 am }

[…] Winter for much of the U.S (snowy over much of it too).  Here’s the link with more info: Farmer’s Almanac Forecast.  I’ll try to give my forecast for the Winter sometime over the next month or two.  For now I […]

73 John Seifert { 08.26.14 at 7:57 am }

Bring it on, the ice fishing should be great again this year

74 christine { 08.26.14 at 12:53 am }

Oh boy stormy and windy in VA. Hampton roads VA people can’t drive when the sunshine is out let alone rain, sleet and snow. People are insane. Police don’t even pull over the speeders or crazy drivers ever. Everything will be shut down for 1 inch of ice or snow. School was canceled for 6 days. Virginia beach schools had to make up school days on every Saturday in may.

75 Micabrown { 08.25.14 at 11:31 pm }

Bring it down here again. I live in Texas and I am sick to death of the heat! We actually had a winter last year ( no snow, but it was cold). I am ready for some cold days as I am sick of this 96 degree weather and high humidity! I never go outside except to get in the car to go from one air conditioned building to another.

76 William Beahm { 08.25.14 at 9:59 pm }

I know from last winter here in PA was the coldest it has been in 20 years. My sewer line even froze last winter. Also I have a niece in Texas and she had to have heat on and they live near Houston so who ever had the AC on must have had the heat on too. Cause it was cold everywhere even in Mexico. They had snow to n that’s unheard of.

77 Farmers’ Almanac Predicts Copious Amounts of Snow { 08.25.14 at 9:50 pm }

[…] fans have something to celebrate as the heat of August fades away. The Farmers’ Almanac just predicted another snowy winter, proclaiming “More Shivery And Shovelry!” in their […]

78 Tim Passinault { 08.25.14 at 9:11 pm }

Lake Superior froze over last year and that hadn’t happened for 30 years….don’t recall if any or all of the other great lakes did or not….Hope to God that our water lines don’t freeze like last winter….A majority of the town had frozen waterlines….the frost line went down 8 FEET …double of the norm…

79 Beth Estes { 08.25.14 at 8:49 pm }

i live in maine and i have seen canadian geese heading south alas when i saw them 1 flock was coming in to land in a wetland probably to get a drink and 4 days ago i saw about 7 of them in the river on a big rock drinking and resting but to me not a good sign

80 cynthia jordan { 08.25.14 at 7:32 pm }

i would love to see snow alot of it in Danville va we dont get much of snow… love snow. can we see a white chrismas this year. thank you. from your friend in Danville va

81 2014-2015 Winter Weather Forecast / Prediction | Ski With Tony { 08.25.14 at 5:48 pm }

[…] More Shivery And Shovelry! Read Our 2015 Winter Forecast (farmersalmanac.com) […]

82 Lance Michael { 08.25.14 at 5:45 pm }

I see there is no wording as what the winter will be like in PA and Delaware? Am i missing it?

Thanks.

83 mary { 08.25.14 at 5:27 pm }

Why is Alaska never mentioned. Btw it is part of the United States

84 mrs atkins { 08.25.14 at 5:21 pm }

virginia says crisp and stormy, what kind of storms we wonder, snow storms? is it known how many or how much?

85 Kelly D. { 08.25.14 at 5:05 pm }

Well, here we are in August. The high desert hasn’t seen rain in so long that even the desert plants are starting to die. California needs water. No more heat, no more parched winds! Please O Almanac God send lots of WATER!

86 Kim Chauncey { 08.25.14 at 4:29 pm }

What about Interior Alaska? What is our winter going to be like?

87 Stephen Joseph { 08.25.14 at 4:18 pm }

Is there a contradiction here re the Southwest sates? “Near-normal precipitation is expected for the Pacific Northwest, the SOUTHWEST STATES, and Northern Plains, while below-normal precipitation values are forecast for the SOUTHWEST STATES as well as the Upper Midwest and the Great Lakes.”

88 Ernesstine { 08.25.14 at 4:08 pm }

What is going to be the weather in South Carolina in the winter? Also are we going to have an early fall?

89 Weather/Science/Nature/Un-Natural { 08.25.14 at 4:03 pm }

Taken all things into perspective, perhaps there are other considerations to considering (1) Looking at the shift of the earths (Axis) and asking ones self “How does this affect, and or effect the Natural Effects of Weather”, What role, effect does (HARRP) play in the mix of Climate Control, Weather Control, considering the U.S. Weather Service has been, working on a Remote Weather Station in Alaska since the mid-1960′s look for the articles written in Popular Science around the mid-1960′s this may spark some interest in some of you, always remember it is not nice to play with “Mother Nature” there is a distinction between “Natural” and “Unnatural” the difference being the “Pro’s and Con’s also, “Enviromental Impacts” , Science 101, add more fuel to the fire, get a bigger flame, Chemistry 101, change the natural order of things, call it an experiment, research and development, no matter what side of the fence your on, when the wheels are put in motion, woops we made a mistake, perhaps one too many mistakes, change the recipe and or mix of the natural order of things, expect the unexpected, after all it’s just an experiment. When industry in developing countries was growing by leaps and bounds, enviromentalist instructed industry that the by products, of waste dumped into the enviroment will impact in a serious way, the question was raised “Well when do you think that might occur” the response was in about 70 years from now, “Industry replied ” Well we will not be around then, so were not going to worry about it” welcome to the information hwy. The “Farmer’s Almanac” has weather predictions far more accurate than all the combined efforts of the technical world we live in today, go figure.

90 Susan Higgins { 08.25.14 at 3:50 pm }

Brandon, yes, Cleveland, Ohio is included in the very cold temperature report.

91 Hoping for sunshine { 08.25.14 at 3:36 pm }

If it’s that cold, the great lakes will freeze. That actually drives lake effect snow totals down.

92 Cheryl { 08.25.14 at 3:33 pm }

Its too bad there is only a general climate overview for Alaska. We have easy and hard winters as well.

93 Old Farmer’s Almanac predicts more snow, ‘super cold’ temperatures | Fox 59 { 08.25.14 at 3:02 pm }

[…] Source: Old Farmer’s Almanac […]

94 Farmer’s Almanac: Colder than normal winter expected in Minnesota - Rick Kupchella's – BringMeTheNews.com { 08.25.14 at 2:37 pm }

[…] The Farmer’s Almanac, which is different from the Old Farmer’s Almanac, released its long-range winter forecast this week, saying most of the United States will be “shivery and shovelry” – with cold temperatures and heavy snowfalls expected this winter. […]

95 LEN { 08.25.14 at 2:26 pm }

MRS EADS: How would you lice a frozen ice ball,,,RIGHT IN THE KISSER? WINTER SUCKS.And I can’t move for a few years

96 LEN { 08.25.14 at 2:24 pm }

If I see LOL one more time I WILL BARF ALL OVER THIS SITE!

97 Virginia Mumford { 08.25.14 at 2:16 pm }

Why is it that the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State is never mentioned. We’re not even close to Seattle & only get the reports for western Washington on that side of Puget sound. Bremerton is mentioned on the Kitsap Peninsula but we’re 60 miles from Bremerton so the weather is totally different here. We would appreciate it a lot if the Sequim area was put on the map, even the weather people on TV don’t include our area! Come on reporters, let’s see reports & predictions for Sequim!!!

98 Farmers' Almanac Is Predicting A Snowy, Stinging Winter { 08.25.14 at 1:20 pm }

[…] Check out the entire 2014-2015 Winter prediction here! […]

99 Haven { 08.25.14 at 1:14 pm }

I’m from Alaska, my husband is from Florida, and we are currently living in Tennessee. I get excited when I see a forecast that might mean a bit of “true” winter for our area. Tn is usually gray and wet and ugly during the winter months. I’m ALWAYS dreaming of a White Christmas! :)

100 melisma321 { 08.25.14 at 12:56 pm }

We have experienced some very unusually cool days with very low humidity in Indianapolis, IN. So cool, nights dropped down to the 40′s and the trees started dropping leaves. My garden stopped growing! I don’t know about the acorns, or the woolly worm, but there was a hornet’s nest up in the tree about 12′ or so……

101 Brandon { 08.25.14 at 12:10 pm }

Oh and by the way, I root to be in the COLD! But I’d like to know what you think.

102 Brandon { 08.25.14 at 12:10 pm }

I’m not looking for a period by period forecast, I’d just like to know in general is Cleveland Ohio included in the very cold temperature area for this winter? You mention the near normal by the East Coast and I want to know if that extends into Ohio or is only for areas within 100-200 miles or so of the coast. So I’d appreciate if you’d let me know with at least a brief response.

103 Jessica S { 08.25.14 at 12:06 pm }

Well when u live in wisconsin your whole life I guess u r accustomed to the frigid temps and a crap ton of snow…last year was horrible but I guess we all survived up here so I say bring it on again!

104 Susan Higgins { 08.25.14 at 11:55 am }

JillBalgie: The information on Alaska can be found on our web site here: http://farmersalmanac.com/weather-alaska/

105 tynypups { 08.25.14 at 11:54 am }

PS. if you have trees on your property, TRIM them now to avoid the broken branch’s and probable removable (costly) of said trees. All to many times in late September or early October, the front range has had incredible damage to buildings, landscaping, and cleanup taking years to dispose of the mess heavy blizzard snows cause.

106 Sharron { 08.25.14 at 11:49 am }

How about south Texas near Corpus Christi it has been so dry, just blowing sand.
How cold and wet will we be?????

107 tina { 08.25.14 at 11:36 am }

Omg..not again in western Maine!! Lol

108 tynypups { 08.25.14 at 11:35 am }

I have lived in Colorado (Denver) for 65 years and am 4th generation to do so, so what I tell you can be taken to the bank. Get out and prep your four wheelers, chain up, buy a winch and get ready for city wide shutdowns due to blizzards, about every couple of weeks, stock up on essentials, and settle in for a cold winter season. Why you ask? This summer has shown a pattern of what is to come, based on a lifetime of endurance and cussing when it hits, and it will! I only hope this present mayor will be ready this time and not repeat the mistakes of Pena, and divert or rob us of the funds set aside for such emergencies, We are watching. Good luck in the upcoming season, just be prepared and stock up so as to avoid the inevitable rush at the fueling and food stations. Hunker down and watch a collection of music, movies, or good books and don’t despair, as this to will pass in sort order.

109 Karen { 08.25.14 at 11:34 am }

Paulette in Florida you poor thing I feel really sorry you have to run your AC on Xmas Day NOT!!!!!i live in God forsaken border of N.Y. And Pennsylvania and we get bad weather . I love the heat and was born to the wrong people in the wrong part of the country. Wait till its15-degrees here in winter and appreciate the AC when your pushing that button ! I will be thinking of you Xmas Day!

110 Melissa { 08.25.14 at 11:28 am }

I agree with everyone else here in Florida, it has been unbearably hot now for so long, we didn’t have any colder weather here last winter, it has just been hot then hotter.
It is impossible to do anything outside without getting heatstroke.
I am moving a little further north, had enough of being stuck inside so long and paying high electric bills because of the A/C running almost continuously.
I understand too much snow is not fun either.

111 JillBalgie { 08.25.14 at 11:27 am }

Alaska?? Hawaii?

112 AuntPaat { 08.25.14 at 11:27 am }

I wish New Mexico wasn’t listed with Texas. Our weather is so very different. It’s more like Colorado.

113 JillBalgie { 08.25.14 at 11:26 am }

Where’s information about Alaska?

114 Lorraine Measor { 08.25.14 at 11:22 am }

To Paulette…..I wouldn’t complain if I were you……where I live(Canada) is usually in the -25C at Xmas time!

115 Lorraine Measor { 08.25.14 at 11:18 am }

What is the winter forecast for us “Snowbirds” in the Ocala area of Florida.??? Not really clear in the article above!

116 Farmers' Almanac releases 2015 winter forecast; where will the snow fall this season? - Freeskier { 08.25.14 at 11:14 am }

[…] Wherever you call home in North America, we wish you a winter filled with plentiful pow days. The countdown to winter has certainly begun. For more information, click here. […]

117 paulette { 08.25.14 at 11:14 am }

Krystle D., I hear ya!!
I live in Florida, and I am so sick of having to run the air conditioning on Christmas Day! I know we’ll never get snow here, but gee whiz, can’t we get some colder weather here in December? Every November we get a cold snap, but then by Christmas it gets warm again. Really sucks.

118 Shane { 08.25.14 at 11:09 am }

Are there larger images of the forecasts available for embedding on our website? We’ll link back to this story of course.

119 butch wilson { 08.25.14 at 11:08 am }

what is first of march 2015 gonna be like in hampton ga. ( atlantamotorspeedway)

120 Pat G { 08.25.14 at 10:50 am }

In reading the Winter forecast above, I noticed it says the Southwest states should have near normal pecip, but then it states the Southwest states should have Below normal precip VALUES. What does that mean?

121 Denise Simpson { 08.25.14 at 10:23 am }

I’m thinking we’ll get snow here in California. I used to live in Lassen County and we could depend on every 4th or 5th year getting a ton of the white stuff. 2001; 2004; 2009 (a couple of blizzards like conditions). I used to also live in Sacramento County and was there for the bad El Nino around 1986 (we lost our car – it couldn’t swim). I moved to Toulumne County and have been accessing the weather patterns here. This is year five year – the acorns on the tree are dropping already and I’ve seen does with twins. Lowes just got in their snowplows. Wondering if I should invest in one….

122 Krystle D { 08.25.14 at 10:22 am }

WHY CAN’T TEXAS BE ANY COLDER? I am seriously DONE with this heat & wearing sleeveless on Thanksgiving/Christmas. When will it ever say we’re having a white winter for once? Geez! (and no, I am not moving, my family is all here in Texas.)

123 jen { 08.25.14 at 10:09 am }

New England- snow, snow, snow, cold, cold , freeze yup typical New England winter

124 jen { 08.25.14 at 10:08 am }

When doesn’t New England get a “snowy, cold and wet” winter!!?? lol SUCKS- I need to move somewhere WARM!

125 Susan Higgins { 08.25.14 at 9:55 am }

Hi Gale, be sure to watch this link and sign up for long range weather predictions: http://farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/midwest-great-lakes-us/ Plus you’ll want to purchase an Almanac, in stores now!

126 Susan Higgins { 08.25.14 at 9:52 am }

Hi Consuela, you should definitely purchase a Farmers’ Almanac; and keep your eyes on this section of our web site: http://farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/southeast-us/

127 RAY { 08.25.14 at 9:42 am }

Bring on the cold for Atlanta, this yankee loves it!!

128 Susan Higgins { 08.25.14 at 9:42 am }

Hi Steele, we do! We you can purchase it digitally here: http://www.lulu.com/shop/peter-geiger/2015-farmers-almanac/ebook/product-21767718.html. Also stay tuned for an App you can purchase through iTunes later this year.

129 Kaitlin1992 { 08.25.14 at 9:41 am }

Here in West Virginia the 2013-2014 winter was brutal. It got well below 50 below here in the mountains. It hit in the end of October, like 5 feet of snow in a couple of hours here. Realy hoping and praying to to have no more winters like last year!

130 Susan Higgins { 08.25.14 at 9:40 am }

Hi Brandon, You can check out what we predict for Cleveland in the Almanac, plus on our web site here: http://farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/midwest-great-lakes-us/

131 Gordy { 08.25.14 at 9:38 am }

Please people who are asking what there weather is going to be TRY READING THE ARTICAL !!!! OMG look at there map its there !!!! Why do you keep asking in this post ?

132 Susan Higgins { 08.25.14 at 9:38 am }

Hi EDnVA
You can read our weather predictions for the upcoming winter here: http://farmersalmanac.com/weather/2014/08/24/2015-us-winter-forecast/. You can also check out our long-range weather forecasts on our web site here http://farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/ and we recommend you buying a copy of the 2015 Almanac, in stores now, or online here: http://store.farmersalmanac.com/staging/20090925001/c-10479.htm

133 Susan Higgins { 08.25.14 at 9:37 am }

Hi Gale,

134 Bert { 08.25.14 at 9:25 am }

Time to get the wood chopped and piled in the Northeast Adirondacks…Helps defray the cost of heating oil. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

135 Consuela { 08.25.14 at 9:22 am }

How about Northern Virginia? Not quite south but I love winter…a heads up will be appreciated for my preparations :-)

136 L. J. { 08.25.14 at 9:20 am }

Regardless of the weather, we can’t change it so we need, instead, to find ways to embrace it! It is just good to be alive to experience.

137 Patrice Burek { 08.25.14 at 9:16 am }

Dear National Grid
Please be aware of the cold weather ahead and be prepared to have ample heating products to allow us to get through it without price gouging. Seriously…last year was enough with no warning and I haven’t seen the prices come down now that the demand is no longer there. One more price spike and many of us will be done.

138 sewblessed { 08.25.14 at 9:14 am }

I do so hope Alabama has a hearty winter! Being a northerner transplanted in the south, I miss a good cold winter!

139 Mrs Schrock { 08.25.14 at 9:09 am }

What is in store for central illinois this winter?

140 Tony { 08.25.14 at 9:05 am }

To my friend in Tampa.
I have lived here for 28 years and have never witnessed a summer like this. You are right!
I’m praying for an early fall and winter.
We have broke records numerous times. WHEW!
I’m with you.

141 andy813 { 08.25.14 at 8:56 am }

Wish it would get cold down here in tampa florida

142 E.Arsenault { 08.25.14 at 8:44 am }

Portland Maine on the coast predicted snowfall for this coming winter?

143 Bev { 08.25.14 at 8:40 am }

Not thrilled about another blustery cold winter in MO, but thanks for the heads up. Time to get the chainsaws all fired up.

144 gale { 08.25.14 at 8:31 am }

what is the weather going to be like for Kentucky

145 Ultimate Summer Killjoy | MyPheme { 08.25.14 at 5:00 am }

[…] these beautiful end of August weather days (at least here on the East Coast), out comes the dreaded 2015 Winter Forecast from the Farmers […]

146 Emmett McMahon { 08.25.14 at 3:45 am }

Southern California needs some rain, not all at the same time. A little bit each day for several days.

147 EDnVA { 08.25.14 at 1:41 am }

What will the weather hold for the Washington, D.C. metro area (Northern Virginia & Maryland) be?

148 Brandon { 08.25.14 at 1:32 am }

How cold do you think Cleveland Ohio will be, relative to normal? And when you say the East Coast will be near normal is that east of the Apps you mean?

149 Rae Foster { 08.25.14 at 12:23 am }

Mother Earth will do what is best for her. I am grateful to be a small micro specimen on this amazing planet. So stay warm & cozy, or migrate to a warmer climate for a few months. We are blessed with a lot of sunshine in Montana. It gets real cold, but we can grow produce in green houses with the suns warmth & wood stoves.

150 billybick1 { 08.24.14 at 11:41 pm }

Maryland don’t want another cold winter can’t stand it don’t have enough money for my heat

151 Elizabeth { 08.24.14 at 11:18 pm }

It’s about time. Colorado had a crappy winter last year. We need a good, strong winter.

152 snowangel78 { 08.24.14 at 10:39 pm }

Bring it on! Western NY can handle it again.

153 storm026 { 08.24.14 at 9:31 pm }

any hope for me in south central ND getting way above average snow? average snow is not enough for me. Thanks!

154 Deb { 08.24.14 at 8:19 pm }

What is the winter going to be in Sparks, Lovelock, Silver Springs and Gerlach Nevada been in a drought here for over 3 years?

155 Steele { 08.24.14 at 8:15 pm }

It would be wonderful if you offered the Almanac in a digital format.

156 lois durant { 08.24.14 at 8:11 pm }

hows the winter going to be in upper new york

157 Peter Kane { 08.24.14 at 7:00 pm }

I have found a trend that Weak El Niños do not bring that much snow. Why? Weak El Niños do not carry with them much precipitation to make it happen. Therefore, the snow is situated up in the northern, not the southern, part of the United States. The situation is different in a Moderate or Strong El Niño. The winter of 2009-2010, the last El Niño winter, the snow was situated in the southern part of the United States. The reason for that was the El Niño was a Moderate El Niño, which favored an active Southern Jet Stream. What I am trying to state is that not all El Niños are alike. It seems like the same person going in to a different costume each time or a same item coming in different packages.

158 Jessie rohrbaugh { 08.24.14 at 6:33 pm }

What’s the month of December 2014 gonna be for Missouri and west virgina

159 Princess Khalid { 08.24.14 at 6:00 pm }

Can you give more insight for the weather in NY/NJ?

160 Ken barlow { 08.24.14 at 4:54 pm }

Wow, so it’s gonna be nasty. Unless it isn’t, because of El Niño. So, we predict it will be nasty unless it isn’t in which case it won’t be nasty we predicted it wouldn’t be also, then too.

161 Larendale { 08.24.14 at 3:37 pm }

Looks like a snowy winter in the Mid Atlantic. Woo hoo!!!

162 Lilly Eads { 08.24.14 at 2:42 pm }