Waxing Crescent

What’s In Store For 2015? Read Our Canadian Winter Forecast.

What’s In Store For 2015? Read Our Canadian Winter Forecast.

This forecast is for Canada. For the U.S. forecast, click here.

According to our long-range formula, the winter of 2014–15 will see below-normal temperatures for about three-quarters of the country. A large zone of very cold temperatures will be found from east of the Continental Divide east to central Quebec. The most frigid temperatures will be found from the Prairies into the Great Lakes. The coldest outbreak of the season will come during the final week of January into the beginning of February when frigid arctic air drops temperatures across the Prairies to perhaps 40 below zero. As the frigid air blows across the Great Lakes, snow showers and squalls will drop heavy amounts of snow to the lee of the Lakes for such localities as Houghton, Goderich, Owen Sound, and Sault Ste Marie.

No region will see prolonged spells of above-normal temperatures; only near the Pacific Coast as well as eastern Quebec and the Maritimes will temperatures average close to normal.

Near normal precipitation is expected over the eastern third of the country, as well as British Columbia and the Prairies. Below-normal precipitation values are forecast for much of Ontario and around the Great Lakes, as well as western Quebec.

We are “red flagging” the first 10 days of January and the first week of February along the Atlantic Seaboard for active wintry weather featuring bouts of heavy precipitation and strong winds. Another red flag timeframe for widespread wintry conditions is centered on the middle part of March across the eastern half of the country.

Find out what our summer forecast is and get 16 months of forecasts in one place. Order your 2015 Canadian edition of the Farmers’ Almanac today!

1 maria { 10.19.14 at 10:52 am }

sounds about normal for the Prairies freezing and snow, use to love snow till I moved to Manitoba now I hate it with passion.

2 Live chat: Winterizing your home | canada.com { 10.17.14 at 2:51 pm }

[…] is coming and the Farmers’ Almanac predicts it will be a doozy – with below-normal temperatures expected for most of […]

3 stevencunningham { 10.07.14 at 3:24 pm }

London Ontario . big snow cold temperatures bring it on we always get slammed with snow squalls I’m not worried :)

4 Brenda Bell Folks { 09.20.14 at 5:30 pm }

My step dad used to follow this when we were kids

5 Oak { 09.19.14 at 4:55 pm }

Looks like it will be another great ski season on the east coast.

6 Farmer's Almanac Predicting a 'T-Rex' of a Winter in Canada - Lifestyle Home Products { 09.19.14 at 11:13 am }

[…] said forecasts show that while Toronto and the surrounding region will experience a deep-freeze, it’s going to be drier this winter, with “fluffier […]

7 stokescain { 09.16.14 at 8:43 pm }

I just relocated from Toronto to the London area with that being said I’m in the snow belt, I’m quiet excited about the snow .. The last time I seen snow waist high was when I was a teenager so this winter will be refreshing for me and i put my garlic in the ground a few days ago

8 WeberC { 09.15.14 at 9:53 am }

So what is new? It is winter and it is going to snow in Canada? Wow… nothing new there. I can’t believe you are saying the last week of January beginning of February is going to be bad. It is always bad then..the worst of the winter! Come on…

9 jminos3 { 09.08.14 at 11:40 pm }

I hate winter and what im hearing it to b like last year, I sure hope not. Wish we could just have more cold than snow. I’ll take the cold over the snow anyday. Hopefully the predictions are wrong and we don’t get lots of substantial storms and bad precipitation. It’s going to be a long and painful winter if that’s the case.

10 Chantal { 08.31.14 at 9:46 pm }

Ugh! I hate winter! No such thing as a good winter around here unless we were in tropical areas, that’s the only time i would love winter, if i could spend it somewhere sunny and warm near the ocean.

11 Paula { 08.27.14 at 5:58 pm }

I am soo tired of this triple digit temperature. I am ready for some cool air. It has been extremely hot here in the heart of Dixie. The heat index is just too much! My air has taken a real beating this year. I haven’t turned it off since April. I will probably be running it until November! The South needs a little break!

12 Ezra { 08.27.14 at 3:17 pm }

I can’t wait. I hope we get a good dump this year in central BC. we haven’t had a good winter in years

13 Be Prepared Before Snow| Farmers’ Almanac Predicts Nasty Winter | JJ McLellan & Son Plumbing & Heating { 08.27.14 at 7:07 am }

[…] The Canadian Winter Forecast from The Farmers’ Almanac is predicting “below-normal temperatures for about three-quarters of the country…” and “The coldest outbreak of the season will come during the final week of January into the beginning of February when frigid arctic air drops temperatures across the Prairies to perhaps 40 below zero. As the frigid air blows across the Great Lakes, snow showers and squalls will drop heavy amounts of snow to the lee of the Lakes for such localities as Houghton, Goderich, Owen Sound, and Sault Ste Marie.” Information from the FarmersAlmanac.Com […]

14 Randy turner { 08.26.14 at 9:09 am }

Would.ike planting time tables for north west fl

15 storm { 08.25.14 at 6:46 pm }

So glad I live in NB, be nice to get a open winter, winter 2014 was really bad in Atlantic Canada.

16 Farmers' Almanac releases 2015 winter forecast; where will the snow fall this season? - Freeskier { 08.25.14 at 11:23 am }

[…] Canada, eastern provinces are in store for a cold, white winter. Farther west, British Columbia and […]

17 Tanck { 08.24.14 at 5:06 pm }

Thanks . . . Already I am intending to send a link for relatives n friends to become aware of this Almanac. ~ just spent time on recipes and this winter’s weather; I’m gladly hooked . . .