Waning Crescent

Hurricane Forecast 2014

Hurricane Forecast 2014

Hurricane season officially starts on June 1 and runs through November 30th. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, this time period is when 97% of all Atlantic tropical cyclones occur. Activity tends to increase beginning in mid-August and typically peaks on or around September 10. Occasionally a hurricane will form in May and sometimes even as late as December.

Last year’s Atlantic hurricane season had the fewest numbers of hurricanes since 1982. There were fourteen tropical and subtropical storms that formed in the Atlantic and only two became hurricanes, but neither became major hurricanes. While the number of tropical and subtropical storms was above the average of 12, the number of hurricanes and major hurricanes was way below their averages of six and three, respectively. (Major hurricanes are categories 3 and above.)  NOAA also goes on to say that the 2013 hurricane season “was only the third below-normal season in the last 19 years, since 1995, when the current high-activity era for Atlantic hurricanes began.”

So what’s in store this season?

The Farmers’ Almanac is predicting four possible tropical storms affecting regions this season. One is an early season storm by the end of June along the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast Coasts, a second during the third week of July near or along the Atlantic Seaboard, a third in mid-September in New England, and a late season tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico and possibly the East Coast during the third week of October.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration officially released their hurricane season forecast last week, and they are predicting a near-normal or below-normal Atlantic hurricane season. This is mostly due to the El Niño that they believe is forming on the Pacific Coast. Click here for NOAA’s 2014 Atlantic Hurricane Forecast.

Here are the official 2014 Hurricane Names:

• Rene
  • Sally
  • Teddy
  • Vicky
  • Wilfred

1 SLCHogle { 08.21.14 at 2:15 am }

I picked up a Farmer’s Almanac Calender from an insrance agent I deliver to in September 2008. The almanac was right on! Friday September 13, 2008 hurricane Ike made lanfall. I lived 3-4 miles from Rose City, Texas truck stop that flooded. and appx 7 miles from Mobil Refinery in downtown Beaumont that was 10′ underwater. I met my now husband a week later. he’s a Union , dues paying, Journeyman Wireman and he and many Brothers and Sisters from all over the county came to help rebuild. long and funny story how we actually met. we’ve been together ever since. and were married June 17, 2013
I planned that date so that our honeymoon could be spent with of “family” of union wiremen at an annual reunion event. many thanks to the farmers that gave me a heads up as to what I was in store for with hurricane Ike. beauty can come out of a tragedy

2 diane love { 07.01.14 at 8:05 pm }

your prediction of a storm by late june was right on , here comes Arthur,

3 Judie Venuti-Antal { 06.10.14 at 4:04 pm }

I’m wondering if it would be safe to book a cruise to Burmuda & Bahamas in late Aug or would we be in danger of encountering a hurricane?

4 Mike Achord { 05.29.14 at 3:09 pm }

Gina & whoever wants or needs to know,
The information you need can be found on the N.O.A.A. (website)
or the N.W.S. (National Weather Service) website…..

5 Earlene Bonin { 05.29.14 at 10:51 am }

Bertha was my dad’s mother’s name. Lets see if she is going to be as mean and all my relatives said she was. Only met her once in 1970 so I couldn’t give an opinion from my viewpoint.

6 chellemac333 { 05.29.14 at 8:16 am }

It seems like this is an El Nino year. Do you think that will effect our oceans & make more storms?

7 Gina { 05.28.14 at 9:58 pm }

Hi, Do you know where we can get some kind of educational material concerning tracking hurricanes, etc.?

8 Barbara { 05.28.14 at 6:35 pm }

what about Pacific Ocean storms?

9 Eric Walker { 05.28.14 at 2:16 pm }

I think it’s going to be fay Marco Hannah Josephine

10 Deb Rho { 05.28.14 at 1:24 pm }

Farmer’s Almanac has been pretty accurate all these years, and since you’ve noted four possibilities, I’d like to chime in here with my picks of which four: Hanna, Kyle, Nana & Wilfred. Hoping, whichever four they turn out to be, they won’t do any major damage.

11 John Roe { 05.28.14 at 12:21 pm }

John, I feel like you do. It will be one wild year, because they have gotten wrose.

12 john Winter { 05.28.14 at 9:01 am }

Just for the heck of it, these are the storms, I predicting will be major,,,Dolly, Isias, Marco, which will hit Marco Island in FL, and Omar….