Register | Log in

« | »

Will This Summer Be a Scorcher?

Will This Summer Be a Scorcher?

After an exceptionally long, cold winter and a wet start to spring for most sections of the U.S. and Canada, you might be yearning for summer and wondering what’s in store.

You may want to retract that wish, though; the 2014 edition of the Farmers’ Almanac says the coming summer will be exceptionally hot across much of North America, with “oppressive” humidity throughout the eastern half of the United States. Only the Pacific Northwest is predicted to be “comfortably warm and dry.”

Hot weather will cover the Southwest; typical summertime temperatures will broil the Southern Plains, while the Central and Northern Plains will swelter through a warm-to-hot summer. To the east of the Mississippi, it won’t be as much a hot summer as it will be a humid summer. Oppressively levels of humidity will make for many uncomfortable days (and nights).

The central part of the nation will see near-normal summer precipitation; the Western states will be drier than normal, while across the Mississippi, Tennessee, and Ohio Valleys on east to the Atlantic Seaboard wetter than normal conditions are expected, thanks chiefly to copious shower and thunderstorm activity.

In the nation’s midsection, we expect “tornado alley” to flare-up in late June. We are also forecasting an early-season tropical storm along the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast states by the end of June and a possible hurricane or tropical storm during the third week of July near or along the Atlantic Seaboard. Typically, tropical cyclone activity over Atlantic and Caribbean waters increases precipitously during the second week of August and reaches its traditional peak on September 10.

Northward into Canada, we predict the Prairies will experience a warm-to-hot summer, while Ontario and all points to the east, it will be a humid summer.

The Prairies will see near-normal summer precipitation; British Columbia will be drier than normal, while across Ontario and Quebec on east to the Atlantic Seaboard wetter than normal conditions are expected, thanks chiefly to copious shower and thunderstorm activity.

Finally, regarding tropical activity in Canada, we are forecasting a possible hurricane or tropical storm in late July near the Maritimes.

For a more detailed look at what to expect in your area, be sure to check our long-range forecast!

2014 U.S. Summer Map

2014 U.S. Summer Map

2014 Canadian Summer Map

2014 Canadian Summer Map

66 Responses

1. […] correctly predicted that last winter would be nasty while federal forecasters blew it. But it incorrectly predicted that this summer would be “exceptionally hot across much of North America, with ‘oppressive’ […]

by Farmers’ Almanac predicts another nasty winter, echoing the Old Farmer’s Almanac | Deft News on Aug 30, 2014 at 8:48 am

2. I live in the Quebec province of Canada it is far from what the predictions say. We now have record days and amounts of rain, very humid but not that hot. The weather channel has posted that this summer is by far the worst in many years. I just hope September and October are better. Last year we received snow very early and it lasted way longer then usual – I like snow but not before December – here in Canada we have such a short window to do our outside tasks…

BUT I cannot complain when we look at other countries – heat waves and cities under water.

Hope 2015 is way better!

by Michel on Aug 30, 2014 at 7:34 am

3. […] has your summer been as miserable as the Farmer’s Almanac predicted?  It depends on where you’ve been […]

by Having a miserable summer? Just wait until Sept 17th | Glowing Older ® on Aug 23, 2014 at 8:31 am

4. No extreme hot or humid summer here in New Jersey. Some days a little humid but last few weeks nights have been downright chilly. Temp. in the 60’s. That’s not summer weather. Had to keep windows closed. So far, since the very brief spring we had April & May, I’ve put the air conditioner on twice. Each time for an hour to take humidity out and then shut off. Loving my electric bill!

by jj on Aug 21, 2014 at 11:29 pm

5. Not hot in any form for Michigan. Some, very few days did warm up, but as soon as the sun went down for most of “Summer” here the temperature followed. Very cold nights. One August night got down to 37 degrees! It can be and has in the past much warmer in January during one of the “January thaws.” Crops in Michigan are weeks behind because of the cold this Spring and Summer. Summer really never arrived in Michigan.

by Theodore LeSarge on Aug 21, 2014 at 10:39 am

6. […] On its blog, here is the overview the Almanac offered for the summer’s weather across North America: […]

by Farmers’ Almanac “oppressive” summer forecast is laughably wrong on Aug 19, 2014 at 11:01 am

7. I always thought the entire point of the “Farmers” almanac was to help farmers better predict the conditions they’ll face for their growing season.

There was nothing “oppressingly humid” about this summer here in western PA. I’m not sure the weather ever cracked 90, and the nights were more like spring and fall than summer.

I would have grown completely different varieties of tomatoes and such if this had been better predicted.

by TJ on Aug 15, 2014 at 12:59 pm

8. “We predict that while warm weather will initially be slow to establish itself, by July summer heat will have arrived in full force across much of North America.”

Well, you got that one wrong. Coolest summer on record in the USA, and no heat wave in sight with autumn just around the bend. In two weeks the evening news here will show the pictures of the leaves changing color, it happens every year.

by coaldust on Aug 13, 2014 at 2:57 pm

9. I’m planning a trip to the Apostle Islands. Which month is best for boating in the lake August or September?

by Lisa on Aug 12, 2014 at 5:43 pm

10. My impression here in Southeast Mass. is that this has been a cooler than normal summer so far in the Boston area. July is usually more hot and humid, but this summer of 2014, although it has mostly been nice and sunny, it never quite made it to 90 degrees F, thus even cooler than last summer, whereas 2012 had a very mild winter and warm spring and hot summer and July 2011 was scorching hot. But these seem to be legitimate fluctuations because July 2009 was very cool. June 2014 was overall simply nice, by contrast to June 2013 when it rained nearly every day. We usually have such long cold winters (with the rare exception of 2011-2012) that I relish whatever heat we get in summer, but then start to dread the approach of fall and especially winter.

by David on Aug 7, 2014 at 12:03 am

11. Many believe we have not lived through 2014 before and it is difficult to know what will happen tomorrow. I for one am appreciative and grateful for what I get: however, I love warm weather more than cold for the record. I have faith that all will turn out all right, we are survivors and we must persevere no matter what. So get your positive spirits flowing all.

by Connor on Aug 6, 2014 at 10:05 am

12. My comment is in response to Tammy’s comment. You stated that you’d ” take the cold weather anyday over the hot”. Puh-leeese, Tammy! You live in Texas! How could you possibly know what true “cold” is? “Cold” is not the upper 50’s/60’s (what your winters are like). “Cold” is -15 to 5 degrees. You say that you would “just throw extra layers on”. Trust me when I say, bull!@##!! It gets so cold here your bones will ache. I’m sure most people from the north are just laughing at your ignorance. I currently live in Buffalo, NY, and I know for a fact that you would not last 2 mins in our mid January weather. I lived in Las Vegas, NV for 6 years where I have experienced temperatures in the 120’s. I know what “hot” is. And trust me, “hot” is way better than “cold”. I’m so sorry that you and your family are forced to experience such “hot” conditions. Boo-hoo;( Come up north to the Canadian border in mid winter and see if you still feel the same.

by Dave on Aug 5, 2014 at 11:57 pm

13. In your outlook for the Pacific Northwest, ” comfortably warm and dry”. west of the Cascades might have this forecast but east of the cascades we are in the extreme heat. With highs 10-20 degrees over average. 100 plus for most of July and going into Aug. More of the same! Hot and Dry… the state is on fire, burning up.. Not only WA but OR, and ID most of the same. Definitely we are not comfortable!!! Dry, yes – warm, No… Just plain HOT!!!!

by Rita on Aug 5, 2014 at 11:47 am

14. Your predictions about this summer in Wisconsin have been dead WRONG. Please redeem yourself by prediction the coming fall and winter and letting us see that you are correct. This has been the coldest July on record nationwide. In Wisconsin we had some warm weather in June, but a cold May and July. Please let us know what Wisconsinites will have to bear this fall and winter.

by Maureen on Jul 29, 2014 at 6:46 pm

15. July 29, 2014
    Hello, from Windsor Ontario, Canada!
    (Our most southern, warmest part of our country!)
    Which is a sad statement to make anyways!
    Lived here all my 42 yrs and have hated that we can only enjoy a few months of ‘summer’.
    It’s worse though, when you suffer through a cold winter, hope for a hot summer and are left instead with one day being hot and the next being cloudy, dark and cool. (70 degrees in July is NOT SUMMER!!)

by X4patience on Jul 29, 2014 at 8:51 am

16. This summer has been so depressing so far. I live in Michigan and in the past, our summers have been scorchers. I love the heat and after the winter we have had, this chilly, rainy crap is not fair!!!!

by Jasmine on Jul 28, 2014 at 7:05 am

17. Ontario is cool and rainy a big let down after our terrible winter

by Sheila Phillips on Jul 25, 2014 at 8:11 am

18. I live in Dallas TX and i have enjoyed the summer this year only a few days over 100 and it rained i hope it stays like this!

by milton on Jul 25, 2014 at 1:26 am

19. Living in Ohio
    is a waste of life!

by Paul kosik on Jul 24, 2014 at 3:21 am

20. The Almanac is usually spot on, but the weather (and the climate) is changing so much that even day-to-day forecasts are hard to make!

by JeanieK on Jul 20, 2014 at 1:46 pm

21. Here in Huntington Beach, CA it has been a very cool, sometimes downright chilly summer. When you factor in the windchill it has been averaging 70 degrees all summer so far. Hope I didn’t just jinx it! I need to wear a light jacket when I leave for work at 6:20 AM. And it’s July 19th!

by Paul Dupre on Jul 19, 2014 at 9:27 pm

22. […] of course, flies in the face of much-publicized predictions from the Farmer’s Almanac of a summer scorcher. But, don’t think for a moment that a chilly July undermines the notion that the earth is […]

by How Media Bias Censors the Debate on Climate Change | News on Jul 16, 2014 at 6:16 am

23. Sitting on the deck which by this time of year is unbearably hot so hot you can’t hardly stand to walk on it bare footed. But today July 15 th 2014 I needed to grab a light jacket and ditch the shorts. As we are enjoying our beautiful wooded property on this cool day we not only see golden leaves falling with the breeze but the sounds of black walnuts hitting the ground. Our buckeye trees are full of nuts and their leaves are turning red and orange. Is Mother Nature fooling us all or is an early autumn in store for us here in ohio.

by Kimberly Hoskinson on Jul 15, 2014 at 7:39 pm

24. Toam siad “…. north east will be “oppressively humid, wet, and thunder” and your “long range forecast” says lots of rain with cold chilly air. Well which one is it? oppressively humid or cold chilly? it can’t be both. that’s not how weather works.”

I live in Metro Boston. I was surprised yesterday mornig(7/14/2014) becasue it had been cold. YES. Cold in summer lata late night and early morning. However, I recognize relatively more scatter rains while I commute everyday.

So, I can say they are both accurate and can happen at the same time.

by parkjoesungjun on Jul 15, 2014 at 8:29 am

25. Well I live in South Lake Tahoe, CA which has usually a beautifully just right summer. Not this year. Excessive heat started in June and has continued. Also the presents of Humidity, which we never get at this altitude, and it feels good. Its the evenings that bother me most, usually it cools off to the 50’s and it has stayed in the 60’s. Not enough cool air to make up for the day time. WE are also in a long obsessive drought. Our winters usually make enough snow to last until July up at the 10,000 ft level and we barely get enough snow to turn on a windshield wiper. Haven’t used the trusty snow blower in 3 years!!!!. It is very scary with the fire danger and all the tourists. I’d like to know when we get back to normal…if there is such a thing…

by Kim J on Jul 13, 2014 at 12:48 am

26. electronic cigar Will This Summer Be a Scorcher? – Farmers’ Almanac
    informative post http://www.puntogreenenergy.it/cheap-e-liquid/e-liquid-refills-for-reusable-cigarettes.asp

by informative post on Jul 12, 2014 at 2:51 am

27. your site contradicts itself. this page – “summer 2014 forecast” says north east will be “oppressively humid, wet, and thunder” and your “long range forecast” says lots of rain with cold chilly air. Well which one is it? oppressively humid or cold chilly? it can’t be both. that’s not how weather works.

by tom on Jul 10, 2014 at 5:04 pm

28. I for one would rather be cold than hot any day. I am a born and raised Texas Girl, but even I know you can strip and still be boiling hot. If it’s cold you just put more layers on. With a heat index of 110, the kids are stuck with indoor activities and tend to drive each other and their parents crazy within a week. Summer heat can stay away!

by Tammy on Jun 25, 2014 at 12:49 pm

29. Humid across Ontario and East showery……not my kind of weather!!…. But after last winter I’ll take anything!

by Lorraine Measor on Jun 21, 2014 at 1:22 pm

30. Would really like to see more info regarding Atlantic Canada once in awhile. Your focus seams to be USA. thanks.

by migs on Jun 19, 2014 at 7:04 am

31. i’m in the Oppressively Humid, Wet & Thundery part of the US. it’s like that every summer; it feels like a tropical rainforest most summer days. (in the winter it feels like the Arctic.) i’ve since accepted that the weather is a caveat for living where I do. :)

by Trystan on Jun 18, 2014 at 10:27 am

32. After this February, I will take anything. Love the nice weather, but it is too much rain
    at times. Don’t complain, think of the winter…….

by Ruth on Jun 18, 2014 at 10:10 am

33. I live in Wyoming and it’s freezing. It feels like it could snow tonight. It’s the worst year I can ever remember and I just can’t stand the thought of more snow on the ground in two months. There is no growing season. I swear the bushes are turning red like they do in the fall. I hope we don’t go from winter, two days of spring…back to fall or winter.

by Ramona on Jun 15, 2014 at 1:32 am

34. I live in GA. We had a went winter snow and rain. Usually when you have a wet winter it will be hot and dry in the summer. It is the middle of June and technically still Spring. It has been raining mostly in the afternoon everyday this week but Sunday, Father’s Day is looking good. Saturday doesn’t look bad either. Finally finished mowing my yard that has taken me all week because of this crazy weather. Have a great day.

by Janean on Jun 12, 2014 at 4:45 pm

35. I live in Ohio & this summer sucks. cool & rainy. We have a pool & now I wonder why we opened it. Last summer was the same. It seems like we only have about 2 1/2 months of summer then back into winter. Depressing

by jean on Jun 11, 2014 at 12:04 pm

36. I don’t think the FA could predict the shifting of the North pole due to increased earthquake activity, that being said, more than likely the equator has shifted a bit North which is why the Northern states are seeing hotter than normal temps, not to mention the formation of hurricanes much further North than normal over the past few years.

by Darla on Jun 10, 2014 at 10:33 am

37. Get ready for a new
    Maunder minimum….

by Chris on May 20, 2014 at 8:24 pm

38. Where I’m at here in NW MS the weather folks have been completey wrong so much this year in predicting storms. Anyone else seeing that in other parts?

by Fredrich P. Jones IX on May 9, 2014 at 6:04 pm

39. Summertime, and the livin’ is easy! Boy…do I want SUMMER!

by Marci on May 3, 2014 at 11:52 pm

40. Rainy weather i love it i have 8 aquariums in the house and i use rain water because what they call water in central Florida is actually liquid sand and my garden love the water from the aquarium actually we are going into the second harvest the winter was minimal and by the way we are in SAINT CLOUD.

by manuel Rodriguez on May 3, 2014 at 6:17 pm

41. Question, how is it going to be hoter if say liek on weather channel saying it will be colder than usual, even more so than last summer. Explain that. I live in Ohio! Even if el nino being weak or strong it would still be colder than normal. Whats the deal with this whole be hot as hell thing? So whos to believe? Didn’t you all predict the same thing last summer, was only hot for mostly like towards the end of the summer/early fall. Otherwise it was below than warm/hot summer. There saying this year will be even more colder than last summer. So maybe someoen could explain how one comes up in one saying tis going to be warm/hot, and everyone else says its goind to be colder than normal. If yuor going to predict something being you all or them, least do it right, no one wants you guessing. Its a big deal to know hey its going to be tripe digitsl, or 90’s all summer like few summer ago was, or be like last summer. hey you all do this for a living right, its exact science, if its not maybe people shouldn’t be guessing, but to me theres a big difference between 70’s 80’s summer, and a 90’s and plus summer. Be it as a farmer, or everyday person. Just saying!

by Weather Person on May 3, 2014 at 1:24 am

42. I live in N. Ontario Canada and all I want is a decent long summer with nice warm temps!

by Lorraine on May 3, 2014 at 12:56 am

43. The Weather Channel has just given a summer report, predicting cooler to much cooler for most or just some of the country (dependent upon the possible occurrence and strength of El Nino). And due to the amount of snow still in some eastern Canadian areas, they said that is likely to bring in the cooler air too. I do wonder if the FA’s forecast is considering El Nino, as it’s not mentioned. The cooler the better, I say!

by Mila on May 2, 2014 at 8:19 pm

44. Bring it on to the Pacific Northwest! Mama’s garden will be thriving!!! Feeling bad for my son in North Carolina! He is a PNW boy!!!

by Lori on May 1, 2014 at 4:41 pm

45. I really don’t think there IS such a thing as “normal” weather anymore, but God is still in control so I’ll be content with whatever He gives us…:)

by Brenda S. Adams on May 1, 2014 at 11:55 am

46. People don’t complain. Remember the winter.

by bhunter1117 on May 1, 2014 at 10:18 am

47. Bring it on summer!

by Julie on May 1, 2014 at 5:47 am

48. I don’t know how anyone can predict the weather anymore. Are you taking into consideration the Chemtrails and the changes they are creating?

by Sheri Berry on Apr 30, 2014 at 10:52 pm

49. I don’t buy it. It ignores the El Nino that is building in the Pacific, and ignores NWS forecasts that call for a HOT and DRY summer for the Pacific Northwest. Today is the start really–we broke record highs today at 90F. So you can really just ignore the idea we will be Pleasant and Dry.

by Troy Haliwell on Apr 30, 2014 at 9:32 pm

50. Looks like the Pacific Northwest will be the ONLY place with nice weather. I live in Connecticut and every summer is getting hotter and stickier and more disgusting. This is not New England weather! When I was a kid, summer temps reached into the 80’s with *maybe* one or two 90 degree days. Now there are more 90+ degree “heat waves” more often. Not normal.

by Gaile on Apr 30, 2014 at 7:43 pm

51. In my youth, long ago in mid west, hot humid summers meant a swim in the skinny dip pond on grandpa’s land. Those were good days in rural America.

by Domenico on Apr 30, 2014 at 6:54 pm

52. When is it going to get warmer weather in the midwest like chicago / rockford area

by patricia chavez on Apr 30, 2014 at 6:14 pm

53. What about chicago illinois I think I will have to move if we have heat and humidity again

by debra on Apr 30, 2014 at 4:14 pm

54. hOW IS MAY LOOKING FOR MA. AND SOUTHER nEW HAMPSHIRE ON THE COAST BE

by DOWNEY on Apr 30, 2014 at 3:58 pm

55. I just want something other than cold. Sincerely, a polar vortex survivor.

by Doreen on Apr 30, 2014 at 3:26 pm

56. It’s been cold and rainy in central VA the past couple of days. Hope it warms up in May! I want a hot vacation week in late June.

by betty on Apr 30, 2014 at 2:44 pm

57. EWWWWWWW…did you say hot…I’m heading for the Northwest…I am NOT a warm/hot/humid person…

by Phyllis on Apr 30, 2014 at 2:37 pm

58. Finally some good news! Been a very bored lightning photographer in Northern Michigan last few years, as conditions have been so abysmally sunny last few years. Maybe this year will be the year I can rack up some good photos!

by peggy on Apr 30, 2014 at 12:47 pm

59. florida is already hot an humid with after noon thunderstorm’s4/30/2014

by big g on Apr 30, 2014 at 11:52 am

60. I’m in Michigan. West Michigan to be exact. You say rain oppressive humidity and thunder. How much of the summer are we talking about? It’s already May and we are starting off in the low to mid 50’s. With rian may I add.

by Kristy on Apr 30, 2014 at 10:14 am

61. Thanks but hoping it will be a nice summer!!

by Lillian Dyson on Apr 30, 2014 at 10:14 am

62. Please send your unwanted rain to central/south Texas. Medina Lake, NW of San Antonio, is 3% capacity; it is a puddle. Our trees are dying, wells are dry, it is worse than the drought of the 1950s. We desperately need rain while other parts of US and world are waterlogged.

by Lauren on Apr 30, 2014 at 9:41 am

63. Despite the humidity, I still believe in your forecast for a hot summer.

by Peter Kane on Apr 29, 2014 at 8:41 pm

64. So its going to RAIN the whole time? UGH! That is the last thing we need right now

by Brenda on Apr 28, 2014 at 4:13 pm

65. What is summer midwest weather

by Shirley Redford on Apr 28, 2014 at 1:21 pm

66. In your summer outlook you didn’t mention whether or not the southern Mid-Atlantic would be hotter than normal or cooler than normal? Will it also be hot here accompanied with the very high humidity or will it be COOL and humid?

Because when you said “it won’t be as much hot as it is humid” made me think it will be hot everywhere else except the eastern half of the US.

by Aaron on Apr 28, 2014 at 1:00 am