Farmers Almanac Weather

Waxing Crescent

Get Our 2014 Spring Forecast!

Get Our 2014 Spring Forecast!

Spring will start late and be exceptionally wet for most sections of the country, with snowfall predicted through late March and early April in many areas, including an East Coast storm in mid-April that could bring a very late-season snow to high-terrain areas of New England.

In the nation’s midsection, we expect “tornado alley” to flare-up in April and again in June. Warm weather will initially be slow to establish itself, potentially creating expectations that summer will be as cool and wet as spring. This will not be the case. Though we’ll offer a more complete summer forecast in a few months, in the meantime, here’s a look at how spring will shape up in your region:

In the Northeast, the opening days will be greeted with plenty of rain, snow, and cold temperatures. An unseasonably warm patch in mid-April will provide an early taste of spring, but will be short-lived, as a late-season snowstorm follows right on its heels. Cold temperatures will persist through early May, with frequent showers, warming up in time for Memorial Day and the unofficial start of summer.

In the Midwest & Great Lakes region, the opening days of spring will bring variable cloudiness, followed by a storm bringing rain and wet snow to eastern Kentucky and Ohio. April will be unrelentingly wet, despite a string of unseasonably warm days in the middle of the month. Wet weather will continue into May, warming up toward the end of the month.

In the Southeastern states, the season will open to windy and rainy conditions, followed by some very warm temperatures and severe thunderstorms. Showers will continue through most of April, followed by a cloudy, but hot May.

In the Northern Plains and Rockies, clear, cold weather will dominate the opening days of spring, followed by snow in the northernmost states and a wintry mix elsewhere. April will be chilly and wet with rain and frequent dips into freezing temperatures. May will remain wet. Temperatures will rise throughout the month, but will be unseasonably chilly toward the end of the month.

In the South Central region, the season will open with clear, cold conditions, followed by a warming tend and many severe thunderstorms. More violent storms, along with tornado threats will arrive throughout early April, followed by some blasts of very cold air toward the end of the month. Things will warm up in May, which we predict will be hot, but wet.

In the Northwestern states, increasingly cloudy skies will break open in a powerful storm system at the end of March. Things will clear up briefly before bringing on more wet weather throughout April and May.

In keeping with the ongoing drought conditions in the Southwest, this region is expected to be drier and warmer than the rest of the U.S. We do call for some showers, particularly in early April and late May. We hope this will be enough to provide some relief from the devastating dryness, but we can’t offer any assurances.

In Newfoundland and Labrador, a hefty snowfall should arrive just in time for the start of spring, followed by continuing storms from the south. Heavy precipitation, including showers and snow, will continue through most of April, broken up by a brief spell of unseasonably mild weather mid-month. Cold conditions will hold on through most of the rest of the season.

Farther south, in the Canadian Maritimes, the early days of spring will bring a significant storm from the south, followed by a brief warm-up. March will end with more heavy snow. April will bring continued wet and cold, interrupted by a brief period of unseasonable warmth toward the middle of the month. Cool, unsettled conditions will hang on through most of the season.

Westward into Ontario, the season will open to rain and wet snow, followed by heavy snow at the end of the month. April will bring continued wet and cold, interrupted by a brief period of unseasonable warmth toward the middle of the month. Cool, unsettled conditions will hang on through early May, warming up as June approaches.

In Alberta and Manitoba, conditions will be clear and cold through most of the season. Expect very little precipitation until mid-April, when some strong storm systems will drop rain and/or snow over both the Rockies and Prairies. Cold weather and rain will persist throughout May.

In British Columbia, spring will open under increasingly cloudy skies, followed by a powerful storm from the Pacific. The remainder of the season will be cloudy and cool with occasional rainfall.

Want to know more? Read our detailed long-range forecast!

1 dmil { 05.18.14 at 7:34 pm }

When will the drought end Tulsa, Ok Rancher grass is drying up west of Tulsa. Selling cattle off No Rain!!!

2 William Droste { 04.25.14 at 6:02 am }

So much for Global Warming lol !!

3 free instagram followers { 04.25.14 at 5:58 am }

If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d really like to write
free instagram followers http://goo.gl/jaXAOe

4 Stacy { 04.24.14 at 5:39 pm }

Throw this forecast away. ElNino already here.

5 Renee Lee Greco { 04.23.14 at 10:49 pm }

I’m in Illinois right outside Chicago. Almost 5 months into the year, and it feels like winter :(

6 gbrault { 04.23.14 at 10:38 am }

What does Nov and Dec look like for the coast of BC (lower mainland )
will we have a colder winter or will it be milder

7 Christopher Fields { 04.22.14 at 9:30 pm }

Im from philly

8 Christopher Fields { 04.22.14 at 9:29 pm }

Im loving this spring. This winter was stone cold. I go on ny prom May 22nd hopefully it is warm and comfortable

9 Umar Rehman { 04.17.14 at 10:31 pm }

Amazing how cold the temperatures are after a strong cold front that came by and turned 70s into 40s and 30s with some snow even in NYC. Brrr. Need a winter coat.

10 Carolyn Babin { 04.16.14 at 12:33 am }

amazing how well the cold snap we have these past 2 days(15 & 16) was predicted. amazes me how they know this stuff…and I live WAY down south..New Orleans area.

11 amullinsr { 04.07.14 at 8:43 pm }

crossing my fingers for a nice day here in fairmount IN on May 24th…our daughter is having an outdoor wedding!! Mother Nature..PLEASE be nice to us

12 Jaime McLeod { 04.01.14 at 1:40 pm }

Beth Hill – You can see our forecast here: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/

13 Beth Hill { 03.23.14 at 11:48 pm }

I need some of you expert weather people to reassure me that my daughter’s outdoor wedding on Saturday, April 5th will be a beautiful day. We live in Gadsden, AL about 60 mile northeast of Birmingham. Any reassuring comments needed and wanted!

14 PBL000 { 03.01.14 at 7:34 am }

I am not sure where the proof is for all these statements. I remember winters like this going back to the 60s

15 Miranda hoffman { 02.28.14 at 8:17 am }

I hate this but we were. Warned to fix things. In our environment years. Ago but no one. Listed in

16 mike howell { 02.27.14 at 6:40 pm }

yup!!!!!!!! look out for a hot hot summer in the south. one to remember. I am not a hot weather fan, but we in the south have four season’s, and we have had a tough winter. get ready for a rough summer. like it or not.

17 Jaime McLeod { 02.27.14 at 4:52 pm }

Veronica – Southeast. Charlene – North Central.

You can see our zones in our long range forecast here: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/

18 tommy { 02.27.14 at 11:12 am }

Asher,

Go listen to Al Gore. And don’t use any fossil fuels to keep warm during this record breaking (cold) winter…that would be hypocrisy!

FWIW, most operational meteorologists that I have met (well, okay, four), do not believe in global warming. And notice how the latest IPCC report had to acknowledge that there has been a “pause” in the warming since 1998…something which their models failed to suggest. Antarctic ice is at an all-time high for this time of year, some glaciers, such as Mt. Shasta in California, have been expanding over the last several decades, and in the Plains, most of the record lows are much more recent than record highs. The NWS page in Minneapolis has a nice graph showing average winter temps going back to the 1800s…and a definite downward trend.

So, continue to believe the fools about global warming…

19 Asher { 02.27.14 at 10:14 am }

Lol@larrio for just not gettin it. Bless his heart.

20 MAE DOUGLASS { 02.27.14 at 9:35 am }

NORTH CAROLINA PROBABLY FALLS UNDER SOUTHEAST……. HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERY1

21 ernie White { 02.26.14 at 11:28 pm }

I don’t know about else where they got the weather correct here in St. Louis, MO.
I have the books they send out too.
The Farmers ALMANAC Seem to have down better then our own weather men & women.

22 Veronica { 02.26.14 at 9:21 pm }

Can someone please enlighten me on what North Carolina would fall under?
Thx!

23 charlene { 02.26.14 at 7:31 pm }

I not sure just what section I should be checking out the forecast for my area in south central mn.

24 Peggy Thomas { 02.26.14 at 5:44 pm }

I live in Kansas (about the middle) and read some where that we would be included with the southwest forecast of continued dry, nearly drought conditions with an early spring. Are you including us in the tornado alley prediction or the southwest drought? Thank you for your response!

25 Peter Kane { 02.26.14 at 4:37 pm }

I think there will not be a mid-April storm at all. I think this spring and summer is going to be hot for the East Coast. I know March is going to come in as a lion, but will leave as a lamb.

26 Zack { 02.26.14 at 3:47 pm }

Sharon, it will probably be the average of the “Northeast” and “Southeast” forecasts. lol

27 larrio { 02.26.14 at 3:41 pm }

Kelly, who is more ignorant…those who believe what others tell them (often charlatans themselves who have a financial or power motive) or those who believe what they see, feel, and hear? Unless you are a scientist, as I am, you probably believe too much of what others tell you. I feel sorry for you.

28 wendy { 02.26.14 at 3:03 pm }

So a lot more cold and snow for new england

29 sharon { 02.26.14 at 2:10 pm }

I live in south new jersey what are we going to get?

30 JessiMarie { 02.26.14 at 1:57 pm }

Could anyone tell me the reason behind the forecasters being anonymous? Thanks!

31 Mary { 02.26.14 at 11:42 am }

Well whomever these “Calebs” are, they have been predicting with great accuracy for many years. My grandmother turned me on to Farmers’ Almanac and I have been seeking prediction for many years. This winter was so spot on and now I am back to seek predictions for Spring and Summer. I even purchase my wardrobe/boots according to the predictions. I had snow boots I hadn’t really used in a couple of years, but after this winter predictions I found them in the attic and got a lot of used out of them this year.

32 Kelly Trina { 02.26.14 at 11:25 am }

Dean Young, “Global Warming” is a misnomer, and has been used to refer to what is actually global climate change. The idea that a cold winter means there is no such thing as climate change is as ridiculous and ignorant as believing something has disappeared simply because you covered your eyes with your hand.

33 Mikeyb { 02.26.14 at 10:10 am }

I live in Ontario ,Canada, and this year has brought with it memories of when I was a kid. Lots of snow, and cold temps. I hear people complaining how cold it is and we have had too much snow. But, they seem to forget that this type of weather was the norm in the 1960′s – through the 1970′s. I enjoyed this weather and still do. Living in Canada does offer it’s challenges, but, this amount of snow this year will help the farmers out there with enough moisture in the ground to start their planting season in spring. Embrace the weather people!!

34 Dean Young { 02.26.14 at 9:37 am }

With a -18 morning a couple of weeks ago I keep thinking “Global Warming My Butt”!