Waxing Gibbous

Will Winter End Early? Get Our Prediction!

Will Winter End Early? Get Our Prediction!

This coming Sunday, February 2, is Groundhog Day, a day when groups of people across North America pluck unsuspecting woodchucks from their burrows in the hopes of finding out whether or not winter will end early.

Groundhog Day has its roots in Candlemas, also known as Imbolc, the midpoint on the calendar between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. An old bit of weather lore says that sunny skies on this day foretell a long winter, while grey skies indicate that spring is on the way, as illustrated by this old English song:

If Candlemas be fair and bright,
Come, Winter, have another flight;
If Candlemas brings clouds and rain,
Go Winter, and come not again.

And so the tradition of the groundhog seeing his shadow was born. Of course, with the glare of hundreds of cameras trained on him, it would be a miracle if Punxsutawney Phil – or any of North America’s other prognosticating groundhogs – didn’t see his shadow.

But forget Phil. Anyone who consulted the 2014 Farmers’ Almanac has known since August whether winter would end early. And the answer is no. Winter isn’t going anywhere any time soon.

We predict significant snowfalls for parts of every area except, unfortunately, for the drought-ridden West Coast.

Over the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states, in particular, we are “red-flagging” the first ten days of February for heavy winter weather.

This year, Groundhog Day coincides with Super Bowl Sunday. MetLife Stadium in New Jersey’s Meadowlands is hosting Super Bowl XLVIII, marking the first time a Super Bowl will be played outdoors in a cold weather state. We are forecasting stormy weather for this major sporting event.

According to the groundhog day legend, a Super Bowl storm should mean an early end to winter, but we expect the following week in particular to remain especially volatile and turbulent. We also foresee other heavy snowfalls throughout the rest of the month.

And we expect mid-March to bring a wave of storminess stretching almost from coast to coast, bringing a wide variety of precipitation types as well as strong and gusty winds.

Though the Spring Equinox will arrive on March 20th, winter weather may hang on for just a bit longer this year, making for a late start to spring.

For more detailed predictions for your region, be sure to check out our long-range forecast!

1 Erica { 04.14.14 at 11:34 am }

I would love to see green grass and leaves on the trees…we have a few nice days and then back to below 0. I’m ready for summer!!!!
From Alberta Canada

2 Dmitry { 03.04.14 at 12:13 am }

I live just north of Toronto, Canada and its been -20c pretty much everyday since mid December. I cant remember last time it was this cold, Most important thing i should mention is that Toronto has been colder than Fairbanks, Alaska by 2 degrees on average so far. The polar-vortex literately just won`t go away, i mean really the winter just won`t give up.

3 pam hoard { 02.20.14 at 7:47 am }

From California. ..we need rain …help….

4 Stephanie { 02.20.14 at 2:30 am }

I’m not sure where the gentleman from NC resides, but to me, only the higher elevations in NC tend to stay a bit chilly until May. Compared to the cold of some areas, I’d take living in the coastal and piedmont regions of the Carolina’s any day.

5 Sabrina { 02.17.14 at 8:13 am }

I can’t believe the back to back snow that’s taken place in GA.

6 Sarah { 02.11.14 at 12:14 am }

We spend the winter in Florida and avoid it all. One good thing about being retired!

7 Kathy { 02.10.14 at 8:52 am }

It has been an endless winter in NJ, and cabin fever doesn’t begin to cover it for me. CA people – if I could send you our cold and wet, I would!!

8 Renee { 02.07.14 at 8:38 pm }

I live in Columbus, Ohio and it has been bitterly cold, we have not been above freezing for very many days so far this yr. The last snowfall was 10″ and another 1-3 this weekend and more on the way thurs! I don’t think it’s ever going to melt! I am looking forward to spring and green not so much white!

9 Jaime McLeod { 02.03.14 at 6:56 am }

Sorry Jessica, We only cover the United States and Canada.

10 Jessica { 02.03.14 at 4:31 am }

What about predictions for Europe? I live in Italy and yesterday was raining and snowing.
Thank you.

11 Tom Kaminski { 02.02.14 at 7:50 am }

2-2-1014 forecast for SuperBowl – cloudy – Generally cloudy. High near 50F. Winds light and variable.

12 philip cotten { 01.31.14 at 11:55 am }

Personally, I couldn’t care less because it doesn’t warm up and stay warm until May here in North Carolina.

13 Lyle { 01.30.14 at 7:47 am }

Not Beleiving It This Time. Looking For Winter To End Here In Upper Missouri Around The Middle Of March To End (NORMAL). Most Likely, A Wet Spring.

14 kay { 01.30.14 at 6:01 am }

i am in the uk and its rained here for months

15 steve { 01.29.14 at 8:42 pm }

I’m from the eastern part of the country an its been cold here temp range from 5-15 below an windshield around 30-45 below getting cabin sickness I’m ready for spring but I feel winter will hang on late this yr an spring will be later than usual

16 Brandi wilkison { 01.29.14 at 7:28 pm }

I also wish we were getting more rain. I live in Palmdale California and we need rain badly. Shannon is right this isn’t good :(

17 beverly post { 01.29.14 at 7:04 pm }

From rochester hills michigan…it’s been frigid here since last Sun…tomorrow will end the string and will be in the 20’s…maybe I can leave under armour home now

18 Peter Kane { 01.29.14 at 6:56 pm }

I am kind of concerned that the Farmer’s Almanac might forecast 2014 to be a cold year like 2009. The winter in 2009 was cold and the summer was chilly. I am forecasting spring weather to come by March. The year 2015 will be an El Niño year. I think that we will have fewer Arctic Outbreaks with an El Niño. However, the Frmer’s Almanac could have their own secret weapon.

19 Jeff { 01.29.14 at 4:19 pm }

I’m from northern Ohio. We’ve been in a perpetual deep freeze since late November, with an occassional thaw now and then. It’s been quite nasty and cold.

20 Shannon Albon Stark { 01.29.14 at 3:36 pm }

All I can say is we haven’t had a drop of rain since November. It only rained 1 time before that. I am jealous of everyone having some kind of weather. It feels very unnatural to have. 75 degree days every single day of fall and now winter. We are pretty scared here in Orange County CA. THIS ISN’T GOOD.

21 debra edge { 01.29.14 at 12:55 pm }

I love the snow but can’t wait until it warms up.

22 michael seaha { 01.29.14 at 10:23 am }

I think the prediction for a stormy Super Bowl is very very unlikely looks like light mix or rain ends in the morning an clears out for game time lows 35-40 hi’s steady then slowly falling to 33 by games end a nice evening for a outside football game seems very likely.