Farmers Almanac Weather

FirstQuarter Moon

2014 Canadian Winter Forecast

2014 Canadian Winter Forecast

This forecast is for Canada. For the U.S. forecast, click here.

After the unusually warm and snowless winter of 2011—2012, many people questioned if winter could make a comeback. Well it did. Last winter was cold and especially snowy.

So what’s in store for this winter? The “Days of Shivery” are back! For 2013—2014, we are forecasting a cold winter for much of Canada. A large area of below-normal temperatures will predominate from roughly east of the Rocky Mountains to the Eastern Great Lakes. Coldest temperatures will run south and east across the Laurentian Plateau to the Great Lakes. Only along the Pacific Coast and Maritime Provinces will winter temperatures average close to normal.

Precipitation-wise, drier than normal precipitation amounts are expected over British Columbia–an anomaly of sorts, since wet weather is usually the norm during the winter season. Meanwhile over the Prairies near-normal precipitation amounts are expected. Ontario and Quebec could be in for a snowy winter season while farther east, the Maritimes could vacillate between bouts of rain and snow.

Significant snowfalls are forecast for parts of every zone. Over Quebec and the Maritimes, the first two weeks of February could be in for possible heavy winter weather. This particular part of the winter season will be notably volatile.

And mid-March could bring a wave of storminess stretching almost from coast to coast, bringing a wide variety of precipitation types as well as strong and gusty winds.

2014-CANFA-Winter

1 Stouffville Glass Blog What Kind of Winter do You Expect this Year? | Stouffville Glass { 08.13.14 at 9:17 am }

[…] Almanac is forecasting a much cooler fall and winter this year. They’re also suggesting it will be cold here in the […]

2 joelle kelly { 05.09.14 at 10:20 am }

Every Time I read this so called Almanac it gives me the same weather reports for the long Rage all the time , its not a surprise that us Ontario`s get Bad winter storms every year , it just would be nice to hear something different for a change like a small amount of snow for just this year would be great and not so Cold , that would be my wish for 2014 and 2015 .

3 Earl { 01.23.14 at 5:34 pm }

Canada was badly divided from East to West…It should of been North to South, some where around Manitoba to Texas, then we’d have a better choice like our American neighbours.

4 Earl { 01.23.14 at 5:33 pm }

Canada was badly didided from East to West…It should of been North to South, some where
Around Manitoba to Texas, then we’d have a better choice like our American neighbours.

5 lyndsay { 01.07.14 at 12:24 pm }

Maybe I missed it but are we expecting an early spring south eastern ontario?

6 Matthew { 11.22.13 at 8:44 pm }

this year better not be a mild winter for southern Ontario. :(

7 RONJON { 11.13.13 at 11:23 am }

I just moved to 100 acres in Caledon, ON and am considering buying a used sled off of my brother to get out exploring the acreage.. I couldn’t decided whether to do it or not. THis prediction is making me lean toward YES> Please please please be right with your snowy Ontario prediction Almanac!!

8 Brad { 11.09.13 at 12:38 pm }

I WANT TOO SNOWMOBILE NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!

9 Ray Erker { 10.29.13 at 11:07 am }

Denise what are you talking about? Ontario is mentioned in the forecast. Where do you think the Great Lakes are?

10 Harvey { 10.29.13 at 12:42 am }

Jacques Cartier….you are a moron!!!!! Couldn’t you discover Canada around the Miami area??? Seriously!!!! The hell with snow, cold and all that stuff!!!!

11 audrey { 10.26.13 at 3:01 pm }

I’m from southern Ontario, and all I want is a white Christmas so hopefully we get it. That trend seems to be dying though, its not getting cold and snowy until Jan/Feb.

12 Val Hudson { 10.17.13 at 3:48 pm }

2011/2012 were mild winters in comparsion….I am responsible for snow clearing and heating for the building. Niether year was difficult in comparrison to the amount of shovelling and heat costs…I would expect at least a very cold year with long stretches of -30/40 temps…if not more snow as well. Winnipeg

13 Glenn Murray { 10.09.13 at 9:56 pm }

What are you guys talking about? We had one of the worst winters ever in Western Canada last year!! Snow came to stay in late October and didn’t leave until mid May. I’m not sure why you people would write mild 2012 winter. The least you could have done is go back and delete that part, or add ‘mild 11-12 for Eastern Canada, but although 11 was mild for the West, it was made up for and then some in 2012.” Credibility is completely gone!! :)

14 claude lafond { 10.03.13 at 6:54 pm }

Hope that the people of Montreal, get a repeat, leave the snow up north for winter sports.

15 DENISE COVILL { 10.01.13 at 4:24 pm }

I WISH ONTARIO CANADA WOULD GET THE WINTER WEATHER YOU GUYS GET WAY OUT EAST . OUR WINTERS ARE WAY TOO MILD. FOR MY TASTE. WE DON`T GET ANY BAD WEATHER WHERE I LIVE. I WISH WE WOULD.

16 DENISE COVILL { 10.01.13 at 4:20 pm }

what about ontario canada ? it is not mentioned in the above forecast.

17 Leonard Rachel Gross { 09.23.13 at 6:35 am }

Can u please tell me what Alberta weather winter will be please do that is around coronation area and east to sask border

18 Mark { 09.19.13 at 12:47 pm }

Ahhh, human caused global warming, er I mean, climate change, yeah thats it! It causes cold, no make that…ummmm….just give us your carbon tax and let us figure it out!

19 Amanda { 09.18.13 at 11:51 pm }

What is the difference between bitterly, piercing and biting cold? Lol

20 Marianne Marr { 09.05.13 at 5:50 am }

If you have severe arthritis you won’t welcome a true canadian winter. When I could walk and stand for more than 10 minutes (over 20 yrs ago) I could deal with the cold, snow and even driving to work in it but now I hate it. Wish I could spend part of the winter in San Francisco.

21 Brian { 08.30.13 at 12:25 pm }

11-12 unusually warm and snowless? Not everyone is from Toronto…

22 Jaime McLeod { 08.28.13 at 2:06 pm }

John K – Ahh, Yeah, we’re working on fixing that on mobile, but in the meantime you can just enable the full version of the site on your device. The link is at the bottom of the page.

23 Jaime McLeod { 08.28.13 at 1:47 pm }

Rose7bud – Are you on a phone? Try enabling the full version of the site, rather than the mobile version. We’re working on fixing images for mobile.

24 Rose7bud { 08.28.13 at 11:07 am }

Where`s the map for Canada

25 canadafirstaid { 08.27.13 at 8:10 am }

Winter Texans we are. Quebec is our summer home which is beautiful you see but come late fall, South Texas is where shall we’ll be. Let the winds blow high – let the winds blow low for in the dead of winter this no need to shovel heavy snow. So, the RGV, next to Mexico is where we’ll stay, until April’s sun rays are clear to see. God bless America – cfa

26 Lillian Dyson { 08.27.13 at 12:18 am }

They say if the dog berries are full on the dogberry tree, we will have lots of snow….well they are full here in Goose Bay, NL. Canada, from top to bottom so if this remains true, you can say we are going to have a wintery season with lots of snow!!!

27 John K { 08.26.13 at 6:17 pm }

@JaimeMcLeod Wasn’t visible on my mobile device. Just saw it on my computer. Thanks!

28 Jaime McLeod { 08.26.13 at 10:22 am }

John K – The map is showing up for us. You can’t see it?

29 John K { 08.25.13 at 11:13 pm }

Where’s the map of Canada with precipitation and temperature color indications?

30 Waneta Redmond { 08.25.13 at 7:08 pm }

What is expected for the Alaska winter?

31 Ivana Bottini { 08.25.13 at 3:31 pm }

IM happy to welcome Mr .Old Winter again in this part of Ontario . Mississauga City & my Golden Retriever as well :)) We need the real Season and it is a reason why The Nature will send it to us. God is blessing humans., animals , lakes , Oceans and Forests . I love that :)