Farmers Almanac Weather

Waning Crescent

Disaster Safety Quiz: Do You Know What to Do?

Disaster Safety Quiz: Do You Know What to Do?

Weather emergencies such as hurricanes, tornadoes, and floods can be deadly. Knowing how to respond before, after, and during these events can mean the difference between surviving or becoming a victim. Test your disaster safety knowledge!

You should keep candles handy in case of a weather-related power outage.

You encounter a downed power line in the road. You should:

The roadway in front of you has a flooded section. You should:

Which one of these things should you not do if a hurricane is on the way:

If you must evacuate, you may need to leave your family pet behind.

After a flood, wait until your water has been tested safe before consuming it.

If you're driving and encounter a tornado, you should drive as fast as you can in the opposite direction.

Floodwater is safe to bathe in.

In the event of a power outage, refrigerated food will safely keep for:

When using a kerosene heater indoors, it's important to:

1 Susan Higgins { 08.05.14 at 9:53 am }

Good point! It’s important that everyone prepare and do as much work up front as possible. Thanks for the info.

2 April Knowles { 08.04.14 at 10:50 am }

I disagree with the candle question……..I live in Northern Ontario temperatures are normally cool…..candles are used for warmth and light……most of us use candles inside a container to prevent a fire……batteries are not reliable…..and in most cases people would not have enough batteries…..candle lanterns are reliable…..RECOMMEND reword candle question stating “exposed candles” OR “candles with not covers”, then I would agree candles is dangerous……thanks for the info was a great quiz….

3 Julie Tengel { 08.03.14 at 10:57 pm }

I don’t agree with the candle question because batteries die and some of us don’t use flashlights often enough to know they have died, so I would have both handy, and yes candles can cause a fire, but really. . . . plus that question should have been a multiple choice with both as a choice.

4 marge { 08.03.14 at 10:06 pm }

the candle question is kind of a trick question…. and as for my dog, he is family, if he cant go.. I don’t go, I would never leave one of my kids or a family member for any reason, not my dog either…..

5 Carol { 08.03.14 at 7:48 pm }

Not all shelters are pet-friendly so you may have no choice but to leave the pet behind if you’re under mandatory evacuation. Where I live, in a hurricane prone area, you must register your pet in advance to take them to a pet friendly shelter. We only have ONE pet friendly shelter in the county.

So, while it is true that the safest place for your pet is with you, it may not be possible to take it to a shelter.

6 Terry Tunkel { 08.03.14 at 7:06 pm }

Questions are worded so as to give you a lower score. Of course, flashlights are better than candles but that option wasn’t one of the answers. When faced with a tornado, I know to try to seek safety in a building but that option wasn’t given, likewise the plywood.Etc.

7 MOmmy MO { 08.03.14 at 6:46 pm }

Candles in an emergency – needs to be clarified. Depending on the extent of the emergency, a busted gas line could be lethal once you light that candle.

First floor safety in a hurricane – storm surge is a huge problem at the onset. When authorities tell you to evacuate, don’t risk yours and responders lives by being an idiot and staying. House and possessions can be replaced. Someone’s father/wife/brother/friend cannot.

8 Shirley Munz { 08.03.14 at 6:04 pm }

I should have only gotten 1 wrong. I clicked on an answer and it showed a different one than what I clicked on. But I have used candles when the power went out because they were in glass containers.

9 Brad Rodgers { 07.30.14 at 1:59 pm }

Living in Florida, I’ve been through 3 hurricanes. I completely agree with Curtis Clifford regarding candles & flashlights/batteries. After the 2nd hurricane past through and we were left without electric for well over a week, the I ran out of batteries as did all of the stores that managed to be open. If I’d not included hurricane candles in my emergency plan we’d have been in the dark for 4 or 5 days!

10 Curtis Clifford { 07.31.13 at 10:31 am }

well you know I got only 1 wrong and it was the candle vs flashlight. I think a correct answer would be True you have your “flashlight and candles” in case your flashlight ceases to shine
and you forgot to get new Batteries. Don’t ya think??!! But if your up to your neck in water nothing is gonna help.

11 Kayla { 07.09.13 at 10:08 am }

I have to respond about leaving your family pet behind, I know I would never leave my dogs at home during evacuation but during Katrina many people down here who didn’t own there own vehicle were not allowed on evacuation buses with there family pets and were forced to leave there animals in the attic with food and water in hopes of coming back the next day. I know several of my friends who stayed the duration of Katrina because there was no way to evacuate there pets. The reality is that not everyone has the means to evacuate on there own and leaving pets behind to save your family was a hard decision a lot of New Orleanians had to deal with.

12 JAMES R. { 07.08.13 at 5:01 pm }

you tape the windows for a hurricane NOT a tornado silly.
If a tornado is on the way, you have 2 choices…

1)do nothing and wait for it to arrive(in which case you will end up with your head between your leggs kissing your sorry butt good-bye)

2) find shelter of some sort that is lower than the surrounding landscape. Now that does NOT mean going underground(although that IS an option), it just means finding the lowest depression, ditch, etc., to hide in.

NEVER EVER seek out a bridge for shelter from a tornado…that bridge may sprout wings & fly taking you & all that is with you with the bridge.

13 errald turner { 07.08.13 at 1:13 pm }

WHO HAS TIME TO TAPE WINDOWS IF A TORNADO IS ON ITS WAY

14 Diana Gilbert { 07.08.13 at 11:14 am }

I agree with Mr Anderson, there is no correct answer for “Which one of these things should you not do if a hurricane is on the way.” Answer “D” should have been done before; Answer “C” does not make sense if there is flooding (which there normally is); Answere “A” should be done all the time, but it will not help any tree if there is a hurricane approaching; Answere “B” taping windows won’t help – Boarding up windows has always been done in Hurricane Alley.

15 David Hall { 07.08.13 at 10:48 am }

The tornado question is also wrong it doesnt tell you where your at ie out in the middle of nowhere, in the city, ect . Also the candle question is also wrong what if you don’t have a flashlight handy. Also the hurricane question is also not good at all you should get out of there period. Don’t put up a question and answer until you can answer your own 100%

16 Dave Anderson { 07.08.13 at 10:19 am }

It seems there was no correct answer for the question: “Which one of these things should you not do if a hurricane is on the way”

17 Michael Ewards { 07.08.13 at 10:12 am }

no it sounds very good, I try to look up everytheng to get the best info for disater releaf

18 ANN MARIE BARNES { 07.08.13 at 9:37 am }

Very good information, I got 7 out of 10 not bad but the ones I got wrong are ones I will definitely be doing differently should the need occur.