Register | Log in

« | »

Get Our Summer Forecast!

Get Our Summer Forecast!

Last summer was exceptionally hot in many regions, with drought conditions across much of the U.S. and Canada. Will the coming summer be a repeat performance, or will we see some relief? The answer to that question depends on where you live.

Many areas are expected to see hotter than normal temperatures this summer, with the Northeastern U.S. and the West Coast predicted to see dryer than normal conditions.

With the exception of New England and the Northern half of the Mid-Altantic region, the Eastern half of the U.S. and Canada, will see some very hot weather with normal amounts of precipitation. This area will extend from the Ontario, down through the Eastern portion of the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma (excluding the panhandle) and northeastern Texas down to Florida and the southern East Coast.

In the Prairie Provinces, Rockies, and Southwestern States, we’re predicting average temperatures and rainfall, bringing some much needed relief to areas that have been baked by drought conditions for the last two summers.

Along the West Coast, From British Columbia down through California, were calling for warm and dry conditions, which could signal a dangerous season for wildfires in Southern California.

We expect the opening days of summer to be very hot in most regions, with storms in the Mid-Atlantic and Great Lakes regions and lighter showers elsewhere.

July will be oppressively hot in many areas, with numerous thunderstorms in most regions, except for the Northeastern U.S. and the West Coast.

As August opens, the scorching heat will peak, with temperatures well into the 100s predicted for the entire East Coast. Elsewhere, conditions are also expected to be hazy, hot, and humid. Toward the middle of the month, the Southeastern states could see some tropical storm activity, followed by another cyclone threat toward the end of the month. Elsewhere, the opening days of the month will be dry, with conditions turning wetter a few weeks in.

Showers are expected to dampen Labor Day festivities in most regions. Only the West Coast will be dry that weekend. Rainy weather will retain its hold through early September, as summer turns to fall.

2013USFA-Summer-Map-SMALL

2013CANFA-Summer-Map-SMALL

109 Responses

1. Not even close on the summer forecast. Average precipitation was far from it here in western NC. Almost doubled our annual average.

by Joe on Apr 18, 2014 at 10:58 am

2. I sense that our 2013-14 winter period in the Southeast (where I reside) will be harsh with heavier than normal snowfall and possibly a dreaded ice storm. Just a feeling… and to think, I’ve actually been considering a move to a cooler area of the eastern seaboard. That may change after this winter season. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

by Carly on Sep 26, 2013 at 6:27 am

3. I live in New York City and this prediction couldn’t be farther from the truth.i also thing the winter prediction will be wrong. The winter is going to be very mild or extremely cold. I am not sure which direction it will go but that’s my prediction. There wil lbe very little snow either way.

by angel on Sep 22, 2013 at 4:59 pm

4. This weather has been really hot. Miss the cooler weather for fall. Why are we the east coast geting warmer weather?

by hope on Sep 13, 2013 at 12:29 am

5. What is the weather going to be like on September 14 2013 in the north east Iowa

by tyler juliar on Aug 30, 2013 at 9:43 pm

6. I didn’t expect this to be exact but I also didn’t expect it to be so far off I have to admit. I live in the Washington, DC area and I have only had the AC on about 3 weeks collectively all summer. It has been a fantastic summer with perfect temperatures and a healthy amount of rain which has kept us outdoors and enjoying life. I can’t remember the last time we could go mountain hiking in August!!

by Denee on Aug 29, 2013 at 7:52 am

7. ok I live in the north east and reading the summer predictions up top I had to laugh, they are the opposite of what happened. It’s been a very wet summer in the NE and we haven’t had a day in the 90′s since the middle of July………. who reads & believes this stuff

by jacquie on Aug 19, 2013 at 11:39 am

8. hello! =) does anyone know if this year is la ” nina ” or ” el Nino”? i live in south florida and last year it was a pretty hot winter, just wanted to know if the ” nina or ” el nino” had anything to do with it. thank you all so much!

by Mariela on Aug 16, 2013 at 3:21 pm

9. August 26th, Shawn M

by Jaime McLeod on Aug 15, 2013 at 11:08 am

10. When will the 2013/2014 winter outlook be put on the Farmer’s Almanac website?

by ShawnM on Aug 13, 2013 at 12:54 pm

11. Well…Looks like your summer forecast for the lower Great Lakes bit the dust. Other than a few weeks of 80s and low 90s, the Spring and Summer here has been way on the cool side for sure. Maybe your Winter 2013 forecast will be more accurate. We’ll have to wait and see.

by Rick on Aug 12, 2013 at 7:46 pm

12. I’m having a hard time finding the predictions. Could you explain to me how to find my area or tell me what the forecast is for Bremerton, WA on September 15, 2013? Thank you for your help

by Tammy on Aug 12, 2013 at 3:04 pm

13. Crystal – You can always see up to four months of our forecast for free at http://www.farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/

by Jaime McLeod on Aug 12, 2013 at 10:26 am

14. Michelle – we only provide predictions for the continental US and Canada. Sorry.

by Jaime McLeod on Aug 12, 2013 at 10:25 am

15. Hi I am traveling to Riviera Maya the beginning of September 2013. Are there any tropical storms/hurricans heading that way? Thanks

by michelle duclos on Aug 12, 2013 at 8:58 am

16. I am getting married on September 27, 2013 at 3:00 pm and would like to know what the weather will be. It is an outdoor wedding.

by Crystal on Aug 10, 2013 at 11:07 pm

17. Curious to know how the rest of the summer is going to play out and what kind of winter were going to have here in southern illinois. This is by far the craziest summer.

by chocomkr on Aug 9, 2013 at 9:43 am

18. zariah – It will be in stores by the end of this month. You can also order a copy here: http://store.farmersalmanac.com/staging/20090925001/farmers-almanac/c-4846.htm

by Jaime McLeod on Aug 9, 2013 at 9:38 am

19. When does the 2014 farmers almanac come out

by zariah on Aug 8, 2013 at 8:32 am

20. This has been a sad, sad August. On the plus side my energy bill should be CHEAP! Just wish it was a tad warmer. Boo hoo. :-(

~PA

by slfonash on Aug 7, 2013 at 9:09 pm

21. Stacey: You can always see up to four months of our forecast for free at http://www.farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/

by Jaime McLeod on Aug 6, 2013 at 8:35 am

22. The weather for Illinois is way off this year. It said that it was supposed to be hot hazy and humid the end of July and beginning of August, it was in the high 60s low 70s. Never thought it would be that cool during the middle of the summer during the day.

by sam stork on Aug 5, 2013 at 5:36 pm

23. I need to know the weather prediction for August 24,2013

by Stacey MacBeth on Aug 4, 2013 at 2:50 pm

24. I live in north central Indiana our weather has at times been right down cold not much of a summer low temps bad storms and a lot of windy days

by Steve Brewer on Aug 2, 2013 at 7:48 pm

25. No summer here in the eastern part of the nation. Summer’s gone bye-bye! We had a long winter, a cold spring now we’re in a wet and miserable summer. Is this our “summer” or did we even have one in the first place? Out of my 15 years living in the western piedmont of Virginia this the rainiest year I have ever seen. Flooding once again an issue. We absolutely cannot handle much more rain. Its been so wet trees are being uprooted and sinkholes are forming! This is getting ridiculous

by Linda on Jul 31, 2013 at 3:17 pm

26. I’m in Up state ny And there is NO heat up here we r in the 70′s below temps as of right now Predictions r so wrong

by rhonda robenolt on Jul 31, 2013 at 11:25 am

27. Boy the Almanac sure had this summer all wrong..2 weeks of July I took as vacation rained all but about 3 days, it says over 100 in the east for August, not so, weatherman says no heat for entire month of August.

by Sharon O'Riley on Jul 30, 2013 at 11:21 am

28. Wow you guys was right on with the weather last year for ohio. But this year you haven’t been close with the temps for the past couple of weeks and now we have been very cool with waking up to temps in the 50s and the highs only in low 70s and that’s what they are calling for this week and you guys are calling for 3-h temps, lets see what happens, I do hope your winter forecast is a little bit closer

by zariah on Jul 29, 2013 at 8:31 am

29. Thank you for the tip Jaime! I joined the site, logged in and followed the link you provided. Still, I don’t see any links to go backwards in the calendar- not sure if I did something wrong or what.

by Mila on Jul 27, 2013 at 8:39 pm

30. Mila – If you are a member of our site (and it’s free to join) you can go backwards on the Master Calendar. You must be signed in to do this: https://www.farmersalmanac.com/calendar/

by Jaime McLeod on Jul 26, 2013 at 9:22 am

31. Does anyone know what the predictions for around the week of July 14-20th this year were in the Northeast (region 1)? This was when we had the unbearable heat with indices up to nearly 110. But, it says August 1-3rd may be like that (again?) Maybe the days were a little off as I’m hoping not to have to deal with that again this summer. I couldn’t find anywhere on the site to look up past predictions.

by Mila on Jul 25, 2013 at 4:22 pm

32. Betsy – You can always see four free months of our forecast here: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/

by Jaime McLeod on Jul 23, 2013 at 3:38 pm

33. We are having an event outside in Springfield, MO October 12, 2013. What are your predictions for weather that day?

Thank you so much!

by Betsy on Jul 23, 2013 at 2:42 pm

34. Cindy – You can always see four free months of our forecast here: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/

by Jaime McLeod on Jul 15, 2013 at 1:04 pm

35. My daughter is getting married in Salem Oregon on July 27, 2013 what will the forecast be ?

by Cindy Vaughn on Jul 12, 2013 at 9:59 pm

36. To Angie Gentley: Thank you for the information. I love your state so even if it is rainy, I will enjoy being there! lol

by marsay on Jul 12, 2013 at 3:58 pm

37. what conditionsare the best to plant uproot crops like soybeans and milo. Please include time of day, moon status and other important information. Thanks

by marinda ruffin on Jul 6, 2013 at 10:33 pm

38. To marsay: the last weekend of Sept. here in VT is generally better than mid-month weekends (which tend to be rainy)…but with the rain EVERY day and hot muggy air we have had so far, who knows. Mid April-early May we had perfect weather-sunny, dry, and no rain for a week at a time. The end of May-early June it was rainy and cold. Now it’s just humid and stormy every day. Here’s hoping we have a nice weekend for you here in VT in September, though!

by Angie Gentley on Jul 5, 2013 at 8:25 pm

39. Everyone – You can always see four free months of our forecast here: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/

by Jaime McLeod on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:04 pm

40. We are traveling to Vermont during the last week of September & hoping to catch a glimpse of the fall colors. The long range forecast indicates a very warm & dry summer for that region.
    How will that impact the fall foliage?

by marsay on Jul 1, 2013 at 3:07 pm

41. What does the weather look like for August 29,30,31 Sept 1,2 in Milwaukee Wisconsin for 2013? Their will be going on the largest out doors festival of the year. Harley Davison 110th.

by Tamyra Holt on Jul 1, 2013 at 3:03 pm

42. Oops forgot to mention that is in the Chester county, PA

by Reba on Jul 1, 2013 at 12:52 pm

43. Need to know what the weather is going to like the week of July 15-20. My daughter is getting married July 20 and we need a dry week for an outside wedding.

by Reba on Jul 1, 2013 at 12:50 pm

44. We are having an outside wedding on September 13, 2013 what will the weather be like?

by linda pool on Jun 30, 2013 at 9:46 pm

45. American Media Entertainment – You can always see four free months of our forecast here: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/

by Jaime McLeod on Jun 30, 2013 at 6:26 pm

46. We’re having a HUGE Benefit Car Show on Saturday August 24th 2013 in the Dundalk Maryland area (Baltimore). Your overviews of the weather have been the reason we hold the shows on certain dates. Do you have an over view you can afford us for our area …please. http://www.cmhd.webs.com

by American Media Entertainment on Jun 30, 2013 at 1:18 pm

47. The farmers almanac is wrong!!!! Record rainfall for the northeast and expected to rain all summer long! No way it’s a dry summer. Not even close!

by Neen on Jun 27, 2013 at 9:52 pm

48. I am getting married June 29th,2013 at 3 pm, Tallahassee,FL. Please tell me what the weather will be like?

by Ervina on Jun 23, 2013 at 2:34 pm

49. Still any chance of us getting a good heat wave this year in Virginia? I love the summer heat but its been too cloudy and stormy this year! yet the humidity is still very high. The rain is annoying.. we have just had too much!

by Aaron on Jun 23, 2013 at 2:02 am

50. Andrea, You can always see up to four free months of our forecast here: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/

by Jaime McLeod on Jun 19, 2013 at 1:42 pm

51. Casey, You can always see up to four free months of our forecast here: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/

by Jaime McLeod on Jun 19, 2013 at 1:42 pm

52. Sorry Kristy,
    We do call for some 100 degree days this summer, but not on July 4th.

by Jaime McLeod on Jun 19, 2013 at 1:41 pm

53. If it hits 98 degrees in RI on July 4th, I get $2,000! Any chance of that happening?

by Kristy on Jun 19, 2013 at 11:15 am

54. Help!! I’m having my daughter’s wedding on August 24th 2013 at our home outside. We live in Pikesville, Maryland any predictions?
    Thank you!

by Andrea on Jun 19, 2013 at 10:14 am

55. Hi! I’m getting married in Louisa, Virginia on July 20th. We have planned our ceremony for 5 p.m. that evening. What is the likelihood for rain that day? Everything is planned for outside and my fingers are crossed that I won’t even need a tent.

by Casey Hollins on Jun 18, 2013 at 4:23 pm

56. Susie, You can always see up to four free months of our forecast here: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/

by Jaime McLeod on Jun 17, 2013 at 1:22 pm

57. We have a retirement celebration on July 13, 2013 in Fort Washington, MD. Will it rain that day?

by Susie on Jun 17, 2013 at 11:01 am

58. We’ve got an outdoor Grad Party planned for June 29th 2013 in Kalamazoo MI.. hoping we picked the right weekend. What might we expect from the weather??

by donsuz on Jun 15, 2013 at 3:32 pm

59. I think you’ll be fine on your wedding day, Brie. The rain threat is really for the couple of days prior. It should dry up in time. Congratulations!

by Jaime McLeod on Jun 13, 2013 at 1:03 pm

60. I’m getting married on June 22nd of 2013. It is outside wedding at 4:00.. I have looked up the weather predictions for Illinois and it says storms around Ohio river.. I’m a few or more hours from the Ohio river.. Could you tell me if my area would be getting rain or no??? Thanks!!

by Brie McKay on Jun 12, 2013 at 3:48 pm

61. I’m getting married outside on August 17 th and we live in Ohio .what do I think the weather will be like ? I’m very nervous Bout this. I don’t want it to rain nor too Hot! I’ve always wanted my dream wedding to be outside!!!!

by Shauna on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:30 pm

62. My nephew is ge tting married on July 27 2013 can you tell what kind on weather the day will bring. Staten Island New York Thanks.

by Patty on Jun 7, 2013 at 3:52 pm

63. Hi Peter – Check out our Long-Range Forecast for Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan.

by Farmers' Almanac Staff on Jun 5, 2013 at 11:39 am

64. I am planning a camping trip to Cypress Hills, south East of
    Medicine Hat for the 2nd and 3rd weeks of July. What can I
    expect for weather for that period?

by Peter on Jun 4, 2013 at 10:03 pm

65. We are traveling to Vermont during the last week of September & hoping to catch a glimpse of the fall colors. The long range forecast indicates a very warm & dry summer for that region. How will that impact the fall foliage? My guess is that it will slow it down & we probably won’t see much even in the upper part of Vermont.

by marsay on Jun 2, 2013 at 4:16 pm

66. I am attending an outdoor wedding in Marquette, MI on June 14. What will the weather be on June 14?

by Francesca on May 31, 2013 at 12:54 am

67. We are getting married on the beach on June 8th in Sault Ste Marie Michigan. Can you tell me how the weather is going to be? Thank you

by Kristy on May 30, 2013 at 10:27 pm

68. Planning outdoor wedding on June 22nd 2013 in mattoon, il.. Can you please tell me what the weather will be like?? Thank you

by Brie McKay on May 30, 2013 at 3:35 pm

69. We are going to Ft. Walton Beach Florida August 24th and coming back on August 28th so I would like to know will there be a Hurricane during that time?

by Judy Wheeler on May 30, 2013 at 12:20 pm

70. Getting married June 29, 2013 in northwest Indiana… Is it gonna rain?!?!!

by Kassandra on May 28, 2013 at 7:43 pm

71. Our wedding is September 21, we live in Hershey PA…can anyone tell me if the temps are supposed to be good that day? I’ll take anything besides humidity!

by Steelergirl on May 26, 2013 at 11:07 pm

72. i love the farmers almanac thier predictions are very dependible but when it comes right down to it good ol mother nater has her own mind of things to judt saying u never can tell

by greenthumb on May 18, 2013 at 10:56 am

73. but how come the national weather service is predicting a cool summer

by basket on May 13, 2013 at 10:40 am

74. I hope missouri does not suffer another drought and heatwave again or I’m going to flip.

by asaucedo on May 12, 2013 at 8:42 pm

75. I am plannig a Garden birthday party on June 15th, 2013.. Any idea what the weather would be like? I live in Lynbrook, NY. Thank you

by Shanna on May 8, 2013 at 3:43 pm

76. I’m getting married the second week of September in Connecticut. Looks like wet weather is expected

by Katrina612 on May 8, 2013 at 1:47 pm

77. Everyone asking for forecasts – you can always see up to four free months of forecasts here: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/

by Jaime McLeod on May 6, 2013 at 7:37 am

78. We are planning my sons outdoor baptism either the second or third week of June we live in New Jersey will it be very hot by then?

by Kim on May 5, 2013 at 5:36 pm

79. PLEASE!!! Tell me in Western Kentucky area its not going to be over 100 degrees every day for the entire summer.. I just moved here from Michigan back in November, and I m use to much cooler weather….. I can handle the hotter temps, its the humidity that makes me sluggish, loss of appetite, and sick with stomach problems…

by Darnallk on May 5, 2013 at 9:48 am

80. how come Wisconsin is in for a hot summer, but we had a cooler spring, cold it really change that fast. and how come the weather stations are saying it is going to be cooler than normal for most of us.. I do not know who to believe

by basket on May 4, 2013 at 11:20 pm

81. PLANNING A FAMILY REUNION JUNE 8TH OF 2013. CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT THE WEATHER WILL BE?

by CONNIE on May 4, 2013 at 7:30 pm

82. As you have said you don’t predict much for Alaska but I would like to know if you feel this summer will be typical or warmer than normal with less rain than last year?

by Winona Cone on May 4, 2013 at 1:23 pm

83. What will the summer of 2013 be like for Arkansas? Will it be cooler than 2012 or hot again?

Kelly

by Kelly on May 4, 2013 at 10:51 am

84. We have an outdoor Wedding planned in southeastern Wisconsin, Aug. 24th, 2013. Any indication on how the weather will be?

by Lisa on May 3, 2013 at 1:38 pm

85. Im spending my summer in Richmond, Virginia this year. I live just outside of Seattle, WA where summers are rather wet and cool. It says warm-hot but what exactly is “warm to hot” over there? Is that 70s to near 80?
    thanks in advance!

by Helen on May 2, 2013 at 4:50 pm

86. Mary Ann,
    Caleb made the predictions for next summer last summer. You can email weather@farmersalmanac.com for that prediction.

by Jaime McLeod on May 2, 2013 at 8:43 am

87. Thank y ou for the Weather Outlook. How about predictions for the Northern half
    of the Sierra Nevada Range? Praying it won’t be too hot as we’re almost bone dry now.
    Trees are dying from bark beetle attacks throughout the Sierras…

by - Sherry on May 1, 2013 at 9:40 pm

88. Looks like I better get my AC checked soon! Good thing I don’t have any flowers to worry about this summer. Now if the heat would only burn up the moles & voles in my yard!

by Amy on May 1, 2013 at 7:21 pm

89. It’s nice to see Oklahoma finally getting some rain. Definitely not looking forward to August heat.

by avefly79 on May 1, 2013 at 5:28 pm

90. I know this is farfetched….how soon next year will Caleb predict the weather for the Summer of 2014 in Southwestern Pa? Only asking, because we have a family wedding on July 5, 2014.

by Mary Ann on May 1, 2013 at 5:23 pm

91. What about Ohio?

by phyllis greiner on May 1, 2013 at 3:46 pm

92. With a hotter than normal summer being predicted, it looks like servere storms, including hurricanes will be hitting us again. I live in Southern Connecticut & we were hit hard by Hurricanes Irene in 2011 & Sandy in 2012. I pretty much expect another tropical system to hit us this year also.

by Michael Amato on May 1, 2013 at 2:42 pm

93. in the coastal region of georgia, at least we are having a good cool spring. in 2009 georgia even in the southern part of the state we had a very cooler than normal summer. i hope it returns this year. i made my winter prediction before the weather service and the almanac . i was correct as the weather service and weatherbee .i would like to think we are going to have a cool summer but honestly we are in for hot one. my winter pred. for 13 and 14 i will call the first of july. i go by the signs of nature that was taught to me by my parents and grandparents. we will see if i can call it again.

by mike on May 1, 2013 at 1:54 pm

94. Joe, We mentioned very few states by name in this forecast, and those that were mentioned were only because they were on the border of a weather system. Wyoming falls into the “Rockies and Plains” region we discussed. You will see typical summer temperatures and precipitation.

by Jaime McLeod on May 1, 2013 at 1:13 pm

95. How will the crazy winter weather in New England affect our summer 2013? Are we really in for temps over 100 degrees AND a dry season? Perfect recipe for fires !!

by Mary W on May 1, 2013 at 1:05 pm

96. Patrick, they always include us in the West coast predictions or the Rockies. Since he mentioned BC which is directly above us, I’m betting he lumped us in with the West Coast this time which he is predicting to be warm & dry

by Joyce on May 1, 2013 at 12:44 pm

97. Looks like the DFW area of Texas lies on a line so just wondering if anything more could be pinpointed for the predictions? Seems like our entire state was on fire last year. With the milder weather two years in a row during winter, this is of great concern for me. Trying to plan out a garden and not knowing what and which side of the house to plant things. Got so hot so fast last year that none of my peppers actually set.

by Becky on May 1, 2013 at 12:40 pm

98. I know that Wyoming is the least populated state in the union, but we still have weather whether you recognize us or not. I see Idaho got a mention, how unusual!

by Joe Towns on May 1, 2013 at 11:18 am

99. Patrick, We mentioned very few states by name in this forecast, and those that were mentioned were only because they were on the border of a weather system. The Pacific Northwest will be hot and dry this year, but as you can see by the map, Idaho is included in the Rockies and Plains region and is expected to see typical temperatures and precipitation, which, yes, would be cooler than last year.

by Jaime McLeod on May 1, 2013 at 10:59 am

100. It would be great for rain here in Colorado. We got baked last year with the fires then the drought Could use a lot if rain and lower temps for it to sink in.

by Tawny on May 1, 2013 at 10:29 am

101. Since it was not mentioned, I predict the Northwest especially Idaho where I farm and live will be colder than last summer, wetter than last summer.
    And why was the Northwest not included in the predictions?

by Patrick Montgomery on May 1, 2013 at 10:21 am