Waning Crescent

What’s in Store for Spring?

What’s in Store for Spring?

Ready or not, spring is on the way! Wednesday, March 20, at 7:02 a.m., is the Vernal Equinox, the moment when the Sun crosses the Equator and those of us living in the Northern Hemisphere begin to see more daylight than darkness. This day marks the official start of spring.

So what’s in store for spring this year? The Farmers’ Almanac’s long range forecast is calling for wet and cool weather for much of the U.S., with frequent heavy-to-severe thunderstorms.

Along the East Coast, look for a couple of major coastal storms during late March, with high winds and heavy precipitation during Easter weekend, including the possibility of snowfall in the Northeast. Unsettled skies remain as March turns to April, with alternating periods of heavy thundershowers and pleasant sunshine throughout the rest of the season.

Expect a soggy spring in the Midwest and Great Lakes region, with mostly wet weather prevailing though mid-June.

In the Northern Plains, Rockies, and South Central states, the opening days of spring should be pleasant, followed by rain over Easter weekend. While the North Central region can expect many periods of pleasant and sunny weather, there will also be plenty of storm activity. In particular, we predict heavy downpours, damaging winds and hail for much of the region during second week of May. A few weeks later, in early June, we expect to see dangerous thunderstorms in the plains states, with the potential for tornadoes. During that same time period, the Gulf Coast could see some early tropical storm activity.

Along the West Coast, look for pleasant weather during the first week of spring, followed by wet, gust, changeable weather over Easter weekend. The remainder of spring will be wet, with many periods of wet squally weather. The season will end with a hot, dry period in early June.

Want more detailed predictions for your region? Don’t miss our long-range forecast!

1 Maverick395 { 03.21.14 at 9:44 pm }

Whats the best time of this spring to plant a new garden, I live in southeast washingtion.

2 dtbenton { 04.25.13 at 10:40 pm }

my zip code is 60515-5803 looking for my planting forcast for this area

3 Bongo { 03.03.13 at 11:03 am }

I just transplanted 3 tomato plants that were 4-5 inches tall…. I have a 4x4x4 frame with clear plastic to keep warm at night so I shouldnt have any problems and not to mention I live in Az…it was 85 yesterday!!!

4 Rebecca D'Annunzio { 02.27.13 at 12:50 pm }

I have seedlings 4″ tall (tomatoes & pepper plants), that I need to transplant. When is the best time to do this? I have heard so many things I don’t know what to believe. We have temps that will fall back to 31 degrees coming up, will those temps kill my plants? Thanks for your help.

5 Alicia { 02.27.13 at 9:14 am }

Kristina – I have to agree with you….having lived here all my life. May is too late to plant your vegetable garden. Our family has had garden for the past 30 years or so and we always plant our seedlings in April, regardless of the weather. If we get a forecast for hard freeze, Dad always just covered the plants with tarps and didn’t worry about it. We haven’t had a bad crop until recent years and most of that is due to planting the same thing in the same spot year after year, which is a big no-no. I plan to just go for it and plant our vegetables in April and take each day as it comes. We don’t usually get much snow here anyway, except during Feb and March. :-) Hope you enjoy living here and welcome!

6 Alicia { 02.27.13 at 9:09 am }

To Luanna – I live in the Tri-Cities of Virginia and typically we plant our flowers (from flats) in mid to late April. If you are going to start from seeds I think it would be alright to plant them while the weather is warmer. I was debating myself of weather to start the seeds indoors in kits and then transplant or just take the chance and plant the seeds anyways. Call your local greenhouse or you can try calling Great Big Greenhouse on Robious Road in Richmond Virginia. They can give you specific advice based on the specific area you in which you live and what type of flower/vegetable you are wanting to use. Hope this helps. :-) Happy planting!

7 Kristina { 02.27.13 at 8:53 am }

Luanna,

I just moved to Virginia also and was told not to plant your garden till May, which seems late to me.

8 tornadoes2 { 02.25.13 at 11:06 pm }

Bad forecasting for the spring will see what happends

9 Luanna { 02.25.13 at 3:20 pm }

I live in Virginia and the back of the flower seeds say dont start planting until mid-late April for this region? This is too much of a wait. Will I be safe to start planting my garden in March? When I was in Mississippi our growing season started a month (maybe more) earlier than up here. I looked at the average last frost dates but this varies depending on the year. When will I be safe?

10 tornadoes2 { 02.25.13 at 1:25 pm }

How about southwestern any severe weather tornadoes and heat wave that what there saying on the long range outlook

11 Jennifer { 02.25.13 at 12:06 pm }

So, my outdoor June 1st wedding is looking muddy!?