New Moon

The 2016 Farmers Almanac

How Many Words for Snow?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Add to Google+ Share on Pinterest Subscribe by Email Print This Post
How Many Words for Snow?

Legend has it that Eskimos have more than 100 words for snow. While the actual number is difficult to determine, because there are a number of distinct groups who are referred to as “Eskimos,” each with their own language, linguists think the number is probably closer to 50. That may still sound like a lot, until you realize that English has nearly as many. Here’s a look at just a few of the terms used in our language to refer to different types of snow, from basic snowflake shapes to complicated formations made by the wind:

Barchan: A horseshoe-shaped snowdrift.

Blizzard: A violent winter storm that combines subfreezing temperatures, strong winds, and snowfall. To officially qualify as a blizzard, a storm must reduce visibility to less than a quarter of a mile and last for at least three hours.

Corn: Coarse, granular wet snow formed by cycles of melting and refreezing.

Cornice: An overhanging accumulation of ice and wind-blown snow, such as might be found on a cliff face.

Column: A type of snowflake that is shaped like a six sided column.

Crust: A hard, frozen layer of snow over top of a softer, less-supportive layer.

Dendrite: A type of snowflake that has six points. This is the archetypal “snowflake” shape.

Finger drift: A narrow snowdrift across a roadway. So named because several of them together resemble the fingers on a hand.

Firn: Snow that is more than a year old, but that has not yet consolidated into ice.

Flurry: A brief snowfall that produces little to no accumulation.

Graupel: Also called snow pellets, graupel refers to round, opaque snowflakes. They form when regular snowflakes fall through ice-cold liquid clouds. Droplets from the clouds freeze onto the crystals, forming a solid mass. Graupel is similar to hail, but is smaller and less dense.

Ground blizzard: A windstorm that is not accompanied by snowfall, but which reduces visibility by lifting existing snow from the ground.

Hoarfrost: Frost that resembles spiky hairs. This type of frost gets its name from the word “hoar,” which means “ancient,” because it resembles an old man’s bushy, white beard. It happens when water vapor freezes instantly after coming into contact with a very cold surface. It occurs because the moisture in the air goes directly from vapor to solid, skipping the liquid phase. It tends to form on small surfaces, such as wires, tree branches, plant stems, and leaf edges, and sometimes over existing snowfall.

Lake-effect snow: Snow produced when icy winds move across a large body of warmer lake water. Common in the Great Lakes region of the U.S. and Canada.

Needle: A type of snowflake that is much longer than it is wide.

New snow: Recent snowfall in which individual ice crystals can still be seen.

Old snow:
Snowpack in which individual snow crystals can no longer be recognized.

Penitents: Tall, thin, spikes of hardened snow. They can range from a few inches to a several feet in height.

Perennial snow: Snow that remains on the ground for more than a year.

Pillow drift: A wide, deep snowdrift across a roadway.

Polycrystal: A formation made up of several snowflakes that fuse into one massive flake.

Powder: New snow composed of loose, fresh crystals.

Rimed snow: Snowflakes coated in tiny frozen water droplets called rime.

Ripples: Marks on the surface of snow, similar to the ripples in sand, caused by wind.

Roller: A naturally occurring cylinder of snow formed by the wind.

Sastrugi: Irregular grooves and ridges in snow caused by the wind.

Seasonal snow:
The amount of snow that accumulates during one season.

Sleet: Rain mixed with snow.

Slush: Partially melted snow on the ground.

Snirt: Snow mixed with dirt.

Snow bridge: An arch formed by snow and wind.

Snow drift:
Snow on the ground that has been blown by the wind to a height greater than the actual amount of snow that has fallen.

Snow squall: A brief, intense snow shower that does not qualify as a blizzard due to its short duration.

Snowburst: An intense snow shower that produces a lot of accumulation in a short period of time.

Snowflake: A cluster of ice crystals that falls from a cloud.

Snowpack: Also called snow cover, this term refers to the total amount of all snow and ice on the ground, including both recent snowfall and previous snow and ice that have not melted.

Snowstorm: Any weather event that features large amounts of snowfall.

Sun cups: Shallow, bowl-shaped hollows formed by irregular patches of intense sunlight.

1 harkerheightsnhs { 09.02.16 at 1:02 pm }

you’re really a just right webmaster. The web site loading speed is incredible. It kind of feels that you’re doing any distinctive trick. In addition, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve done a fantastic process on this subject!

2 Mckinley Mckinley { 08.30.16 at 2:36 pm }

Exceptionally user pleasant site. Great details available on few gos to.|

3 Clint Ohaver { 08.30.16 at 1:41 pm }

I regard something genuinely interesting about your web blog so I saved to favorites .

4 Illa Galeas { 08.24.16 at 1:35 am }

It’s really a great and useful piece of information. I’m satisfied that you shared this useful information with us.Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

5 Daisy Schoener { 08.23.16 at 11:59 pm }
6 Sammie Howerter { 08.23.16 at 10:52 pm }

I dugg some of you post as I cerebrated they were invaluable extremely helpful

7 Omer Whisner { 08.11.16 at 2:42 pm }

What i do not realize is in truth how you’re now not actually a lot more neatly-favored than you might be right now. You are so intelligent. You recognize therefore significantly in relation to this subject, made me in my view believe it from a lot of numerous angles. Its like men and women don’t seem to be involved except it’s something to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs outstanding. Always maintain it up!

8 Williams Hordyk { 08.11.16 at 2:23 pm }

Throughout this awesome scheme of things you’ll receive a B+ with regard to effort and hard work. Where you confused me personally ended up being on your details. As people say, the devil is in the details… And it could not be much more accurate here. Having said that, allow me inform you just what exactly did deliver the results. The authoring can be extremely engaging and that is possibly the reason why I am taking an effort in order to comment. I do not really make it a regular habit of doing that. 2nd, although I can notice a jumps in logic you come up with, I am not convinced of exactly how you seem to connect the details which in turn produce the final result. For the moment I shall subscribe to your position but trust in the future you actually link the facts better.

9 Chana Carn { 07.22.16 at 4:50 am }

Hiya very cool web site!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds additionally…I’m satisfied to seek out a lot of useful info here within the put up, we want work out more strategies on this regard, thanks for sharing.

10 Franklyn Quintin { 07.22.16 at 4:12 am }

Thanks, this website is really helpful.|

11 Roseanne Weems { 07.20.16 at 11:19 pm }

Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is valuable and all. But imagine if you added some great pictures or videos to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with pics and video clips, this website could definitely be one of the very best in its niche. Awesome blog!

12 Josphine Ealick { 07.19.16 at 11:43 pm }

that’s good, thanks for sharing,.. I think this is great blog

13 Dara Booker { 07.12.16 at 6:41 pm }

of course data entry services are very expensive that is why always make a backup of your files“

14 Final Game { 07.04.16 at 10:32 pm }

This website is amazing. I will tell about it to my friends and anybody that could be interested in this subject. Great work guys!

15 Alla Volin { 06.30.16 at 10:17 pm }

Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while people think about worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

16 Rio Tinto { 06.30.16 at 3:14 pm }

17 Zonia Cauthorne { 06.30.16 at 9:37 am }

I simply wanted to write down a brief remark in order to say thanks to you for all of the amazing secrets you are giving on this website. My time intensive internet lookup has finally been recognized with brilliant suggestions to share with my colleagues. I would declare that most of us readers are truly endowed to live in a superb website with many awesome individuals with good guidelines. I feel pretty fortunate to have used your entire weblog and look forward to really more fabulous times reading here. Thanks a lot once more for all the details.

18 Ernestine Mcbath { 06.29.16 at 12:37 pm }

Great looking site. Think you did a great deal of your very own coding.|

19 Alycia Vauter { 06.15.16 at 11:49 pm }

Good day! I could have sworn Iíve been to this website before but after looking at some of the articles I realized itís new to me. Nonetheless, Iím certainly pleased I found it and Iíll be bookmarking it and checking back frequently!

20 Nancie Poppe { 06.11.16 at 10:13 pm }

I will immediately seize your rss feed as I can’t find your email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly permit me know in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

21 Maynard Pfaffinger { 06.11.16 at 12:47 pm }

Rattling great info can be found on weblog . “I am not merry but I do beguile The thing I am, by seeming otherwise.” by William Shakespeare.

22 Kieth Pinelli { 06.07.16 at 12:02 am }

Hello.This post was extremely remarkable, particularly since I was searching for thoughts on this topic last Sunday.

23 Syble Mckirgan { 06.04.16 at 2:46 am }

What i don’t understood is if truth be told how you are now not really a lot more neatly-favored than you may be right now. You are very intelligent. You know thus considerably relating to this subject, made me individually consider it from so many varied angles. Its like women and men are not fascinated unless it is one thing to accomplish with Woman gaga! Your personal stuffs great. All the time maintain it up!

24 Teresia Genera { 06.02.16 at 12:10 am }

I dugg some of you post as I cogitated they were very beneficial very helpful

25 Gala Machtley { 05.12.16 at 7:37 pm }

Good blog! I truly love how it is easy on my eyes and the data are well written. I’m wondering how I might be notified when a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your feed which must do the trick! Have a nice day!

26 Allen Mezzinni { 05.11.16 at 8:17 pm }

Get Free Facebook Likes

27 Going Here { 04.20.16 at 4:49 am }

Totem Destroyer, a cool physics based puzzle game, required number of blocks in each level without breaking the little golden statue. PC games take you away from your real life miseries and give you complete peace of mind. However, it is possible to get your hands on some real PC games for free.
Going Here http://www.seosem.cn/blog/member.asp?action=view&memName=JacquesWester27

28 Snowy Scenes Across Abruzzo Landscape | APPETIBILIS.net { 03.11.16 at 5:18 am }

[…] has it that Eskimos have more than 100 words for snow… How Many Words for Snow? via […]

29 KIMBERLY NIX { 03.03.16 at 4:22 pm }

WHAT IS HOMINY SNOW OR THE MEANING ?

30 Editor’s Corner: Stormy Weather–Snow, Part 2 | Editor's Corner { 02.16.16 at 10:28 am }

[…] me additional terms, I want to thank Yreka Sisson for her research and this submission from the Farmers’ Almanac. I hope you stay warm and cozy, you frostbitten […]

31 Alejandro { 02.11.15 at 1:45 am }

I do like the way you have presented this concern and it does indeed offer me personally a lot of fodder for consideration. Nevertheless, coming from what I have seen, I just simply wish when the actual feedback pack on that people today stay on issue and not embark on a soap box involving some other news of the day. All the same, thank you for this exceptional piece and though I can not necessarily go along with it in totality, I respect your standpoint.
Alejandro http://naderi446.yolasite.com/naderi446

32 Obligatory Ammani Snow-day Post | Working Class Hippie { 01.09.15 at 6:23 am }

[…] that’s life isn’t it? Just nature, with our footsteps in it, which then becomes snirt (source, “Snirt: Snow mixed with dirt”), and Amman goes back to being Amman. It’s all […]

33 Kaye { 12.10.14 at 4:50 am }

How about the term “whiteout” for an especially fierce blizzard with near zero visibility?
Think this could be included here. Nice list to have.

34 Monica K. { 12.09.14 at 10:26 am }

A pluviophile enjoys the smell and sound of falling rain. Is there a term for the enjoyment of falling snow?

35 ANAN VIOLETTE { 12.09.14 at 8:36 am }

You try to make us think with all of your information everyday! Your on the naughty list!

36 Jaime McLeod { 01.03.13 at 1:22 pm }

Brenda,
Many of the people who are popularly referred to as “Eskimos” do speak English now, but that is not their ancestral language. As noted in the story, there are many groups who speak many different languages.

37 Brenda { 01.03.13 at 3:47 am }

Do eskimos speak the same language as we do in the US? I know our modern-day American English consists of many many different synonyms for different words. I only know the ones like “blizzard, flurry, snowstorm, sleet, snowflake, snowpack etc..” If eskimos are from northern Canada shouldnt they have the same words and language like us? Pretty interesting, this language is very complex!! No wonder people from other countries cant seem to understand us

38 Steve { 01.02.13 at 9:34 pm }

I recall the term ‘blue snow’ for the shadowed snow that looked bluish in the bright sunlight.

39 Sue { 01.02.13 at 8:22 pm }

We have hominy snow here in the Ozarks.

40 Maureen { 01.02.13 at 7:07 pm }

I was surprised how many of the terms I knew and use on a regular basis. I would guess that comes from living in northern Canada

41 Rosia Morrison { 01.02.13 at 3:12 pm }

Never knew there was so many names for snow,Thanks for the information ****

42 Rusty { 01.02.13 at 1:43 pm }

I agree with Roy anything other than snow is merely an adjective. I have also never been “corned in”. Too funny!!!

43 Diana Rojek { 01.02.13 at 10:42 am }

You forgot White out, same as Ground blizzard but much more commonly used, even the TV weatherpersons use it.

44 Neil Frandsen { 01.02.13 at 10:13 am }

Here, in Western Canada, the Ground-drift Blizzard is one of the dreaded varities. It not only features limited to zero visibility, it can close highways and byways with drifts, it can also create black ice very quicly, due to happening under bright sunshine!
In the High Arctic, on Banks Island, I had the displeasure of working, laying out seismic lines, in a combination of Sea Fog and a Ground-drift Blizzard. I drove my Rolligon over a 25 foot tall cliff, one day, in early winter.

45 Jaime McLeod { 01.02.13 at 9:49 am }

Thanks Kat,
Yes, the word was only used here because of the urban legend that “Eskimos have 100 words for snow.”

46 kat irvine { 01.02.13 at 9:21 am }

The word “Eskimo” is commonly used in Alaska to refer to all Inuit and Yupik people of the world, this name however is considered derogatory in many other places. The people of Canada and Greenland prefer other names. “Inuit,” meaning “people,” is used in most of Canada, and the language is called “Inuktitut” in eastern Canada although other local designations are used. The Inuit people of Greenland refer to themselves as “Greenlanders” or “Kalaallit” in their language and means “people
If in Canada use the term Inuit as Eskimo is seen as derogatory. Most tribes elsewhere still accept Eskimo, except for those in Greenland, who prefer Greenlanders.

47 Bob Herndon { 01.02.13 at 9:19 am }

Here in Middle Tennessee, I have heard the term, “Hominy Snow”, referring to the little white pellets that come at the early onset, often when rain is changing to snow. The flakes or pellets look like little grains of hominy. (Similar to “corn snow” but it appears more like a “dry” rather than “wet” pellet.

48 Karen { 01.02.13 at 9:17 am }

Thank you for this info. Most interesting.
I will never look at snow the same again. I will probably inspect a few flakes to see if I can discern the differences. That’s if we get any down here in the deep south.

49 Roy Chris { 01.02.13 at 9:15 am }

There is only one word for snow, the others are just adjectives describing the texture, color or some other feature. I’ve never heard anyone comment that they are “corned in” or it’s corning outside or there’s corn all over the ground.