Farmers Almanac Weather

Waxing Crescent

Will Bad Thanksgiving Weather Ruffle Your Feathers?

Will Bad Thanksgiving Weather Ruffle Your Feathers?

If you’re headed over the river and through the woods to Grandmother’s house this Thanksgiving, you may want to make sure you have a good set of snow tires.

The Farmers’ Almanac long-range weather forecast for Thanksgiving weekend is calling for light snow over much of the continental United States.

Regardless of where you’ll be, this Thanksgiving looks like a good time to find your warmest sweater, start a fire or turn up the thermostat, and snuggle down under layers of blankets for a cozy weekend in.

Here’s a more detailed look at what we’ve forecast for Thanksgiving weekend in your neck of the woods:

Northeast
Weather deteriorates by Thanksgiving. Fair, then rain mixed with wet snow mountains of New England. Cold rains Virginia, Maryland. Mostly fair over the weekend, but cold.

Midwest/Great Lakes
Deteriorating conditions arrive by Thanksgiving. Fair at first, then turning wet. Mostly fair over the weekend, but cold.

Southeast
Showery from Mississippi east, then clearing, very cold. Frosts down to Florida. Increasing clouds over the weekend.

North Central
Light snows Rockies, Great Plains, then clearing Thanksgiving. Mostly fair at first over the weekend, then heavy snow (6-12″) for Northern, Central Rockies.

South Central
Unsettled Thanksgiving. Snow New Mexico, west Texas. Wintry mix for rest Texas, Oklahoma, much of Arkansas. Cold rains Texas, Louisiana coasts. Over the weekend, fair at first, followed by significant snow over much of New Mexico, northern Texas, Oklahoma.

Northwest
Some scattered showers of rain/snow. Over the weekend, fair at first then becoming stormy, with gales. Heavy snows over mountains.

Southwest
Unsettled; some snow again for Nevada, Utah, northern Arizona. Over the weekend, fair at first, then becoming stormy, with gales along California coast. Heavy snow (6-12″) over mountains.

1 Mike { 11.20.13 at 9:19 am }

Carolyn, your fond memory stirred some emotions in me as well. Thank you for sharing that.

I happen to love the snow. I love blizzards. And I prefer fall and winter in Michigan over spring and summer anytime. Give me a good 13 inches of wet snow (as long as the power stays on of course) and I’m in my glory. Snowman making, cookie baking with my wife, cuddling and reading the Word of God, listening to Christmas Carols, watching It’s a Wonderful Life, taking a laborious stroll, having cold, red cheeks…it’s heaven.

2 Jaime McLeod { 11.26.12 at 3:26 pm }

Kristin – Our forecasts are regional. We very rarely mention any state by name, unless it is expected to see something different from the rest of the region. Arkansas is part of our South Central region.

3 Kristin { 11.21.12 at 9:53 am }

Why is Arkansas so very rarely included by name in your weather forecasts?

4 Carolyn { 11.15.12 at 10:25 pm }

As I remember thanksgivings of the past, my fondest one was in 1958. We had a deep wet snow on Thanksgiving day here in north middle Tennessee. My husband to be took me out in his brand new 58 Cheverlet and told me I needed to learn to drive in the snow. I did drive and we were Married in April 59 and were married 50 years before he passed away. Still think about it every Thanksgiving.

5 Onnalee Graham { 11.15.12 at 2:16 am }

I recall in 7th grade (1943) how shocked we all were when it snowed before Thanksgiving. It was rare, in Minneapolis, for that event to be so marked. Now I have retired to Ely, MN, just 2 miles south of the Canadian border on the main entry to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, whereby we are shocked if we don’t have “Lasting” snow by now (Nov. 14). Stay warm and keep your wheels round.

6 Ferrol { 11.14.12 at 7:03 pm }

May everyone have a warm and Happy Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years!!

7 Lois Harner { 11.14.12 at 6:17 pm }

I want to wish everyone far and near and especially our troops a Happy Thanksgiving. The weather ,well what ever happens – happens. Just stay safe

8 marcus { 11.14.12 at 4:18 pm }

Hey.. jw if it’s going to snow on Thanksgiving here in grand junction, Co.thx

9 Nancy in Nashville { 11.14.12 at 3:27 pm }

I’m hoping for a cold and snowy winter here in Tennessee. We don’t get those very often and as a born and bred Alaskan girl, I miss it! Last winter was very mild and we had the bugs and weeds to prove it this summer. Bring on the snow!

10 sharry { 11.14.12 at 1:36 pm }

Hi everyone. I live in Joliet,IL 22 miles southwest of Chicago. I’m staying home for Thanksgiving so whatever happens does so. I know we have had it pretty easy the last few years so we are due.

11 Cliff { 11.14.12 at 1:06 pm }

Interesting. we never know in kansas whether we are south central or southern northern plains……… no one likes to commit to predicting weather in Kansas……..

12 joycce { 11.14.12 at 12:39 pm }

i will be staying at home this year /so let the snow come ……lol

13 CHARLES & PAMALA FORSYTH { 11.14.12 at 12:12 pm }

AND MY ALL THE FOLKS AT THE FARMERS ALAMANAC AMD IT’S FOLLOWERS HAVE A “SAFE” AND XWONDERFUL” AND “FUN” HOLIDAY SEASON AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR. AND BE FOR “I” FORGET YOU KNOW THAT WE NOW HAVE “127″ DAYS TILL THE FIRST TRUE DAY OF “SPRING” OF “2013″ AND MY YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL SPRING & SUMMER AS WELL.

14 CHARLES & PAMALA FORSYTH { 11.14.12 at 12:02 pm }

What well the WEATHER be LIKE in the PACIFIC NORTHWEST from today till the first of December. And what will the WEATHER be like from December through March of 2013.

15 Beverly { 11.14.12 at 10:33 am }

Hi Guys, I guess no matter what the weather brings we can still find a lot to be thankful for. After all it will be Thanksgiving,but never-the-less I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving and hope your weather is just like you want it to be and you have a wonderful,safe trip if you are going to travel.

16 Jaime McLeod { 11.13.12 at 10:14 am }

When we use terms like “cold” or “very cold,” it’s relative for the area. Temperatures that are “very cold” in Georgia might be downright balmy in Maine.

17 Dianne { 11.12.12 at 10:27 pm }

Will it be colder in south Georgia than in Charlottesville, Virginia? the southeast says “clearing and very cold” while the north just says “cold rains Virginia, Maryland” im going to Charlottesville November 19-26 to see my family for Thanksgiving and I’m hoping the weather will be mild because im from the south.. i dont like the cold much