Waxing Crescent

Quiz: How Much Do You Know … About Snow?

Quiz: How Much Do You Know … About Snow?
The temperature outside must be below freezing for it to snow.

Which area of the U.S. receives the most snowfall annually, on average?

What is the most snow to fall in a single day in the U.S.?

All snowflakes have six sides.

What is the most snow to fall on one area during a single storm?

What is the most snow to fall on one area during a single month?

What is the most snow to fall on an area during a single winter?

Which U.S. city sees the greatest number of snowy days each year, on average?

Eskimos have 100 words for snow.

Generally speaking, how many inches of snow does it take to melt into one inch of water?

1 John { 12.28.13 at 8:40 am }

I only got 6 out of 10 but it was a fun quiz

2 Yvonne { 12.27.13 at 10:52 am }

Must have been a senior moment to miss 2…Shame on me. :)

3 Maybelle { 12.27.13 at 10:47 am }

5 out of 10? Well, guess most of those 5 right answers were due to a local TV station giving a trivia question frequently. And some, like others have confessed to, I made an educated (or uneducated) guess on. Enjoyed testing my knowledge & these were the kind of questions I expected in the quiz. Thanks!! :)

4 vic { 12.27.13 at 10:47 am }

7 of 10 -not bad

5 Evelyn { 12.27.13 at 9:39 am }

I failed lol

6 Connie Perkins { 12.27.13 at 9:30 am }

gee didn’t do well only got four right. I lived in Denver for 32 years where there is lots of snow.

7 Cindy Balleweg { 12.27.13 at 9:23 am }

I got 5 out of 10. It was fun anyway and I learned something new.

8 Vicki { 12.27.13 at 8:59 am }

Only only 2/10. I am a true Sourherner. Fun quiz! Let’s see how my Northern friends do.

9 Karen M { 12.27.13 at 8:55 am }

Ok I missed 7 But I know the important stuff about snow.. Roads are ice under that stuff. Always carry a blanket when it snows and most important when growing up in Michigan….Never eat the YELLOW snow

10 pattybiondi { 01.20.13 at 2:35 pm }

I scored 6 out of ten. Not to bad.

11 snowlover { 01.15.13 at 4:22 pm }

Dag….I’m snowlover and only got three right. However like a lot of posters said; this wasn’t about snow, just snowalmanac. Anyway sad to say but I only got 3 right. :(

12 Sandy { 01.14.13 at 1:31 pm }

That was great info – I got 7 out of 10.

13 happy pants { 06.18.12 at 3:30 pm }

i got a 2 out of ten this sucks… I’m going to read up on snow … i have no life I’m a super nerd..:(

14 Colin Hay { 02.02.12 at 8:59 am }

I scored 5/10. I live in Australia where it does not snow. However. I am presently on a driving holiday in Spain near Santo Domingo de la Calzada. I haven’t driven through snow flurries before. It appears that a major snow storm is on the horizon. The test was a useful primer.

15 Pam { 01.21.12 at 1:41 pm }

Wow neat facts but I got alot wrong

16 Billie B. { 01.20.12 at 8:02 pm }

Getting 7 out of 10 WRONG, I’d say this FL Cracker doesn’t know SQUAT about snow! ;D Even though I’ve lived in VA for 22 years now, I avoid the snow and all that goes with it as much as possible. It is NOT white FL beach sand!!!! LOL

17 Candice { 01.20.12 at 2:45 pm }

I agree with you Rosalee – and what is that water made of when the snow melts. That is information about snow. Is it healthy or full of chemicals from our atmosphere? Could we drink it if stranded someplace?…this is information about snow.

18 LaBic { 01.20.12 at 11:51 am }

“All snowflakes have six sides” should be rephrased to “Snowflakes each have six POINTS.” After all, technically speaking, all snowflakes have three “sides” as in Heighth, Width, and Depth, however minuscule & impossoble they are to measure. BTW: I’ll have to find a 2012 Farmers Almanac daily comment calandar and see if all these snow facts were included in the first week or so of the January sheets. If you are a Farmers Almanac fan then you will like their calendar!

19 Jan Newman { 01.20.12 at 11:28 am }

I found out I do not know anything about snow

20 Daisy Dukes Everhart { 01.20.12 at 8:45 am }

I scored 5 out of 10. Not to bad being a “4th” Generation “Floridian”! It did snow last year in areas around where I live in Madison Co., Fl…

21 RANDY { 01.19.12 at 1:57 pm }

I AGREE ABOUT THE PREMISE OF THE QUESTION NOT BEING ABOUT SNOW FACTORS, INSTEAD TECHNICLE NUMBERS FOR A SCIENTIFIC GENIOUS. I’M PRETTY GOOD ON GENERAL SNOW CONDITION QUESTION BECAUSE I’M A SMALL FARMER FOR WHICH I EARN A LIVING. 3 OUT OF TEN A’INT BAD FOR COUNTRY BOY!!

22 Diane { 01.19.12 at 12:12 pm }

I got 7 out of 10; I thought that was pretty good for a “Georgia Peach”

23 joelle kelly { 01.19.12 at 11:36 am }

i only got 3out of 10 , but then i dont live in the us, i live up north and i have not seen so much snow this year come down like this in a long time ,, When is it going to stop , i guess the ice caps are melting and the snow has no where else to go but the north ,, Brrrr

24 Susan Simmons { 01.19.12 at 11:25 am }

The #1 thing I know about snow…. WE NEED SNOW and lots now in Utah. Getting almost no snow so far this winter in central Utah is so not a good thing! As for the the quiz, it was interesting and I did not do so well…

25 Cathie { 01.19.12 at 6:45 am }

I got all ten but I guessed.. so Really I did not know. Here is the deep south we do not get snow.

26 Rosaleee { 01.18.12 at 10:09 pm }

These weren’t questions about snow, with the exception of the questions about whether it has to be below freezing outside and how many sides a snowflake has. The question about how many words Eskimos have for it is not a question about snow but about language. The remainder were questions about snowy WEATHER, specifically, snowfall measurements in the United States. Nobody cares how many inches fell here there or somewhere else, unless it prevented them from going to work or school, or otherwise caused problems for them. A question about snow would be, for instance, what kinds of snow are best for skiing, can snow be used for insulation in order to prevent freezing (for instance, would building a snow cave help save your life if you were caught in a snowstorm), why does snow muffle sound, and so forth. Measurements of snowfall are measurements of snowfall and tell you nothing about qualities of snow!

27 Mary Thorpe { 01.18.12 at 9:53 pm }

Correction on the 4th question. While most snowflakes have 6 sides, snowflakes that have 12 or 3 sides have been photographed: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/unusual/unusual.htm I had recalled seeing 3 sided snowflakes so got a red X on this one.

28 Dee { 01.18.12 at 3:55 pm }

I didn’t do so great lol- but I got the one right about which city gets most snowy days!!! I live near Rochester, NY and except for this year (which I will take any year!!!) it snows all the time!!!!!

29 Jane Horton { 01.18.12 at 3:46 pm }

I thought the questions were going to be about ” SNOW ” not snowfall ” AMOUNTS “. Even so, I still scored satisfactory…5 out of 10.

30 Chris { 01.18.12 at 3:39 pm }

8 out of 10 not too bad for taking an educated guess on a few…still think that if some Eskimos have moved into the southern belt and it still snow on them-they could certainly come up with enough exclamation words for snow like the rest of us in Arizona…Thanks for the quiz

31 Jaime McLeod { 01.18.12 at 3:22 pm }

Sorry Waneta,
This year’s snow in Cordova, Alaska, has been pretty dramatic – doubling the usual amount – but it still doesn’t top any of these record breakers.

32 marylou { 01.18.12 at 2:53 pm }

i love snow but evidently it didnt like me i scored bad ..not good w/out wiki lolol

33 marylou { 01.18.12 at 2:52 pm }

wow

34 waneta redmond { 01.18.12 at 1:53 pm }

Might need to update this quiz now. I live in Alaska and something tells me that all the answers might not be correct.

35 JackD { 01.18.12 at 1:12 pm }

The older I get, the less I like snow. I guess that explains why I did so poorly. 3 out of 10 at 64.

36 Janice P Snow { 01.18.12 at 1:06 pm }

I live in Southern California & even tho I can go out in my front yard & see the snow in the mountains I NEVER go up there even tho my brother lives in Lake Arrowhead!!!!!!!!!

37 Linda { 01.18.12 at 12:53 pm }

Gave the quiz to my husband. He got 7 of 10 right. Who knew eskimo’s would’nt have 100 words for snow.

38 Carol { 01.18.12 at 12:28 pm }

Wow, i failed miserably, but I live in Georgia if that means anything. I did miss answering one, though. Good quiz.

39 JanH { 01.18.12 at 11:10 am }

I’m surprised how well I did (5 of 10) I knew snow was an ice crystal and then started guessing. Thanks for the learning lesson that I enjoyed. (unfortunately I’ll forget it, LOL)

40 Bill { 01.18.12 at 10:55 am }

I have lived in the snow belt south east of Lake Ontario for 70 years & we measure our snow storms here in feet not inches. It takes an overnight accumulation of 10″ for the kids to get a snow day.

41 Joanne { 01.18.12 at 10:51 am }

I got 7 out of 10 only guessed on a couple live in Texas but raised in Illinois

42 Jennifer { 01.18.12 at 10:47 am }

Heh…I only got 2 right but I am from Texas where we don’t get a lot of white stuff. Doesn’t mean I don’t like snow though!

43 Mary L. { 01.18.12 at 10:47 am }

I also got 5 out of 10. In the end it was very educational and fun.

44 ajdelaup { 01.18.12 at 10:33 am }

From new orleans,lived there all my breathing days, wonder why I did awful?

45 wayne kelly { 01.18.12 at 10:22 am }

spent two winters in the . if i never see another snow flake it will be too soon.

46 Donna { 01.18.12 at 9:51 am }

I took the quiz thinking it was going to be more about snow and it’s formation and consistency, not so much about how much. I mean, the quiz DID ask How Much Do You Know About Anow? Shouldn’t it have been about snow itself? If not, why wouldn’t it have asked – How much do you know about snowfall? BTW….I got 5 right also.

47 jennifer st.germain { 01.18.12 at 9:46 am }

I started out strong, getting the first three right….it was all downhill from there. That’s gor the info Farmers’ Almanac!

48 lynne { 01.18.12 at 9:42 am }

It was interesting and fun to do. I enjoy doing them as I learn from the wrong answers I put down. Thanks

49 MaryC. { 01.18.12 at 9:40 am }

I got 5 out of 10. Some I guessed!

50 LarryD { 01.18.12 at 9:22 am }

I too got only 5, but it was a fun quiz, and will make for good conversation with the ol’ retired guys at the weekly coffee.

51 Derek { 01.17.12 at 4:10 pm }

I only got 5 out of 10. I just guessed on each question, but I did give it some thought.