Farmers Almanac Weather

Full Moon

Will You Be “Dashing Through the Snow” this Christmas?

Will You Be “Dashing Through the Snow” this Christmas?

As we’ve said many times over the last several months, 2011 has been a year of strange, extreme weather. From the powerful blizzards that started things off to the flooding and droughts of the spring and summer, Mother Nature has definitely unleashed her fury this year. Wouldn’t it be nice to end things off with a White Christmas?

Unfortunately, according to our long-range forecast, that doesn’t appear to be in the cards for most of North America this year. As we’ve said in the past, most of the United States, and even much of Canada, has a very slim chance of seeing snow on Christmas day during any given year. But, still, every year we still dream of that most emblematic of weather events, a white Christmas.

At the risk of shattering those dreams, or forcing you to change the lyrics to your favorite Christmas songs (“I’m dreaming of a fair and cold Christmas,” anyone?), here’s what we’re actually predicting for the various climatic zones this holiday season:

Northeast U.S.
Rains end, turning fair and colder.

Midwest/Great Lakes U.S.
Stormy weather shifts into the Great Lakes, then fair and colder.

Southeast U.S.
Stormy, then turning fair and colder.

North Central U.S.
Fair and colder.

South Central U.S.
Clearing skies, falling temperatures.

Northwest U.S.
Fair and chilly.

Southwest U.S.
Fair and colder along the Pacific Coast.

Newfoundland, Labrador
Increasing clouds.

Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec
Rains end, then turning fair and colder.

Ontario
Stormy weather shifts into the Great Lakes, then fair and colder.

Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan
Fair and colder on the Prairies.

British Columbia
Fair and colder along the Pacific Coast.

1 donna { 10.22.12 at 2:51 pm }

sorry, didn’t put where…………jensen beach,florida

2 donna { 10.22.12 at 2:49 pm }

weather for mid-february through march? tyvm, donna mineo

3 Jaime McLeod { 10.18.12 at 1:07 pm }

Hi Peggy – Yes, that was last year’s forecast. You can find one for this year here: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/

You must be a member (it’s free), and be signed in to see four free months of forecasts.

4 peggy { 10.18.12 at 10:48 am }

this link is way out of date…..was looking ahead for dec ’12 when I saw this but it is a year old!

5 jeanette { 12.21.11 at 10:20 am }

What’s in store for Mont Tremblant in Quebec starting end of January 2012 and onwards. I want ski !!!

6 Robert E Allen { 12.10.11 at 11:14 am }

I will be enjoying Christmas in sunny Cape Corel,Fl.

7 Suki Sioux { 12.09.11 at 6:12 pm }

Oh my….I am praying that there will be NO snow in Denver this year for Christmas. I live for the day that I can do the white sandy beaches, decorate a palm tree and sip on Pina Coladas while enjoying a tropical Christmas. I absolutely detest snow. Please tell me that we will enjoy a snowless Christmas – and, no, I’m not talking about the stuff that is already on the ground (UGH).

8 Deb Dolbec-Napthine { 12.08.11 at 7:51 am }

I live in Nova Scotia on the South Shore and we have had consistent temps of plus 60F this week. I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t enjoyable. Even a no snow Christmas is okay as we usually spend Christmas Day enjoying a long walk on the beach.

9 Jaime McLeod { 12.07.11 at 3:59 pm }

Tanialee, Yes, there are areas with much higher average chances of snow than 50%. You can see a breakdown of what any given area’s overall chances are (on a wide scale, not for any specific year) here: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/gyx/climo/white_xmas.gif

10 Annalisa { 12.07.11 at 3:59 pm }

@tgargala…. I live in the U.P. and still have no snow either. My friends in New Mexico have been colder and snowier than us! Of course, New Mexico areas in the upper elevations like Santa Fe and Albuquerque is what I’m talking about.

11 Marie Fair { 12.07.11 at 2:01 pm }

I hope we get some kind of snow in WV this year. I trust the Lord, and i also look to the Farmers Almanac for the weather and other neat stuff!

12 Tanialee { 12.07.11 at 12:47 pm }

Your writer wrote, “As we’ve said in the past, most of the United States, and even much of Canada, has a very slim chance of seeing snow on Christmas day during any given year.”
Yikes! I live in Meadville Pa near Lake Erie and ALMOST EVERY YEAR we get lots of lake effect snow so your sentence from above doesn’t fit. Honestly I love The farmer’s Almanac for it’s various and sundry ideas/stories,etc. but I hope you are right about not much snow if any this Christmas because we in Meaville Pa, NW Pa are extremely tired of the snow and so gratedful for the rainy cold weather!

13 Janice Albright { 12.07.11 at 10:08 am }

I know we NEED rain(not flooding stage), but, I am glad it may be ending for a while! I Love the white stuff, but as far as shoveling, kills my back. I feel for my outside cats, but, we have lots of shelter for them! When I was a kid in the 50′s and 60′s, it snowed from Oct. to April every year. Sled riding everyday! Good times and loads of memories. Thanks for letting me share!

14 nanjer { 12.07.11 at 9:23 am }

Wow, the weather was all wrong for Arkansas Dec. 4 thru 7. Definitely not tranquil. It rained, and then rained some more. Temps dropped. Flooding in some areas. And last night it snowed with a little mixed sleet. One to three inches throughout the state. This morn, sun is starting to peep out, but still only 30 degrees.

15 tgargala { 12.07.11 at 9:07 am }

Will there at least be snow on the Ground in Zeeland, Michigan?? We still have NO SNOW

16 Amanda Stoneburner { 12.05.11 at 3:44 pm }

wow no snow for christmas in west virginia this year, my family has always trusted the farmers almanac, as i do now.. little disappointing tho, lol