Waning Crescent

Get a Taste of Summer: Read Our Outlook!

Get a Taste of Summer: Read Our Outlook!

After what proved to be a long, cold winter for much of the country — a “cold slap in the face,” just as we warned in the 2011 edition of the Farmers’ Almanac — spring has finally arrived. With warmer weather finally making an appearance, the mind naturally turns toward summer. Will the weather be sunny or soggy?

This summer, we’re predicting a greater-than-normal tally of locally strong thunderstorms, especially over the eastern third of the country, where some much heavier-than-normal precipitation could fall over New England and Eastern Canada. Some of this activity could be especially severe, and perhaps even lead to widespread tornado activity in the tornado belt early in June and again during mid-July. Portions of the Central and Southern Rockies and the Great Plains could also see a lot of thunderstorms.

As June turns to July, the weather will become hotter in most regions. We expect to see a spell of widespread extreme heat and humidity for the latter days of summer, predominantly during late August. About two-thirds of the country will experience above-normal summer temperatures, with an unusually large region of much above-normal temperatures for the Southern and Eastern States.

Along the west coast and into the Northern Rockies, conditions will be calmer, with average precipitation and more seasonal temperatures. Only the Pacific Northwest will experience cooler than normal temperatures for much of the season.

In Canada, conditions will be much the same, with stormy weather from the eastern provinces to the prairies, coupled with unusually high temperatures over much of the country.

Hurricane season officially begins on June 1, and we’re calling for an active season for tropical disturbances, with threats raging from the Gulf of Mexico all the way up to the Canadian Maritimes. Look for our official hurricane forecast during Memorial Day week.

To see more detailed predictions, be sure to check our Long Range Forecast for your region.

1 Jaime McLeod { 07.10.12 at 10:30 am }

Carol, We don’t have someone new doing it, and it wouldn’t matter if we did – we’ve been using the same formula for nearly 200 years. It’s all just math … As for the accuracy, readers claim we’re accurate about 85% of the time, which we think is pretty good. Even the best miss one on occasion. There is no way for us to figure El Nino and La Nina events into our forecast, which is part of why last winter was off somewhat (we did hit it on the head in some areas).

2 carol { 07.07.12 at 6:35 pm }

I have always been a believer in Farmer’s Almanac and look to it to plan for the next season. You’ve always been right on target with your predictions until this last winter and I don’t know what happened. It was like you had someone new doing the predictions and they couldn’t have been farther off. I sure hope this improves. The summer prediction looks pretty vague, almost like a psychic wanna be. If this next winter’s prediction is off again then I’ll no longer have faith in the Farmer’s Almanac and consider it a thing of the past. Hope you get your act back together. I’ve always wondered like everyone else how you know these things and get them right all the time. I’ve counted on your accuracy along with so many others over the years, hope that accuracy comes back. It’s nice knowing you can count on something to be able to make plans for the future. Although everyone knows you can’t be perfect all the time you’ve been consistently very close for as long as I can remember. Hope to continue to believe in you. – Thanks.

3 GBS TOWER { 09.30.11 at 9:39 pm }

Wow. The Alamac’s summer 2011 forecast for the SW u.s. was so far off this year as to be laughable! What happened? It wasn’t just “not close”; it was very very off.

4 Kay { 09.07.11 at 5:43 pm }

Nancy Baldwin can I come and live with you?? That is ideal weather for me….rainy & cold :-) I live in Northern/Central Calif. and we have the same old thing daily for month after month. Sunny and hot…Sunny and warm…Sunny, sunny, sunny!! I am a cool weather lover. I wish we had 4 seasons here :-/

5 Phoenix2256 { 08.26.11 at 2:02 pm }

I live in Texas, and I think Farmers did a good job predicting, no prediction is perfect. It gives you a POSSIBLE IDEA, not the final set in stone situation! Yeah.. it’s hot as heck down here, but we are living in a world where if PREDICTION’s were always correct, we’d all be rich! I am just waiting for september..

6 Pat { 08.26.11 at 1:24 pm }

You know what We live in an imperfect world with imperfect people I think they do terrific here my parents and grandparents swore by this almanac!!!

7 Pilar { 08.24.11 at 2:17 pm }

Wow, Farmer’s Almanac was really “off” this year. Texas is in one of the worst droughts in history.

8 Angela { 08.23.11 at 6:11 pm }

I’m finding that this is not very accurate for my area. I’ve always been told that Farmers Almanac was spot on. We’ve literally had one 5 minutes shower in the past 3 months here in DFW. Roasting in 105-113 degree heat. where are the thunderstorms? Unfortunately its not greater than normal…its less than normal. :(

9 stradacricket@yahoo.com { 08.09.11 at 7:26 pm }

I am so ready for Alaska!

10 dryingupintexas { 08.09.11 at 5:56 pm }

Where is the rain for Texas? Sure wish it would get here. :(

11 Jen { 08.07.11 at 8:12 am }

I am ready for fall! Virginia has had a terrible heat wave over the last few months… heat indexes at 110+ most days, with very high humidity. I’m even sweating inside my own home with the A/C on, because it just can’t keep up. This is getting ridiculous. I’m usually a summer gal, but I’m officially done with this sweating mess. Ugh… what a miserable summer this has been.

12 eve { 08.06.11 at 5:58 pm }

I will be glad we get rain and i don’t care if it rais for seweral weeks let it rain.

13 ken { 08.03.11 at 9:07 pm }

im soooo ready for fall!!!

14 matt h { 08.03.11 at 8:16 pm }

we need a good constant near flood rain! all the land is dead, cant produce anything.

15 Ryan { 08.01.11 at 7:19 pm }

We have had the wettest season in years here in Alberta. We are breaking records with river levels and rain. As far as the forecasts go, the weather can’t be accurately forecasted. “I predict” or “I think the summer will will be this or that” is anyones opinion. The weather can only be guessed upon based upon past trends and current activity. The reason no one can tell us for sure when it will rain in TX. A person could guess, and if it’s right, then jackpot and they become a good source of info. If they are wrong, it isn’t there fault because they can’t control the weather. ?:-/

16 Denise { 08.01.11 at 7:11 pm }

NO ONE complain. We’ve had 6, yes, 6 inches of rain since last September, 2010. It has been over 100 degrees for almost 25 days now this summer and everything is like hay and hotter than ever. . Can’t even go outside. It truly is horrible and there is no end in sight. We are on a well and I see it drying up before this is over. Pray for rain for Southcentral Texas!! The Texas Hill Country needs rain!

17 Jacob { 07.30.11 at 11:52 am }

Not to brag, but the weather on long Island, NY is almost perfect. Besides the fact that we get a severe storm every two days and it is on and off heat waves…. i am loving it. just please can we have constant temperatures.

18 nancy baldwin { 07.28.11 at 9:43 pm }

This is the worst summer I can ever remember in Prince George, B.C. Rain and more rain. I don’t think it has been higher than 23 and that was for one day. It feels like fall every day.

19 Ria { 07.27.11 at 2:55 pm }

Well here in MO, we are looking at heat indices are anywhere from 105 to 110. I almost wish it was drier here. Definitely would like to move to WA state or at this point even AK. Can’t complain too much though since back in February running in the morning, I was BEGGING for a break from the freezing weather.

20 Janet { 07.27.11 at 12:58 pm }

Texas is scorcing all the lawns are going dormit with huge yellow spots in them.
We are praying for rain daily. We will hit a record high for triple digits on Sunday.

21 Sheri { 07.27.11 at 9:43 am }

I believe this year in Wichita Falls, Tx–we are going to live up to the name for our annual bike race. “Hotter than Hell”. today they are predicting 111

22 Laura { 07.24.11 at 5:56 pm }

Live in Indiana. It’s hotter than Hades and dry. Can’t wait for Fall.

23 Monika { 07.23.11 at 10:02 pm }

For everyone complaining about the heat, come to Washington, its been 60 all summer, and rain, rain and more rain……

24 ken { 07.21.11 at 3:43 pm }

i live for winter…hate the heat

25 ken { 07.21.11 at 3:40 pm }

hot as heck here in tx. high hot heat index…nothing new for ouer summers just dont want gulf storms..seems like we get one here in southeas tx every three years, think were due

26 Rick { 07.21.11 at 10:59 am }

Hot Hot Hot…no rain since early June…heat index over 105….its becoming very old…

27 MEL1SSA { 07.21.11 at 10:41 am }

I LIVE IN BARTLESVILLE OKLAHOMA AND OMG MY A/C CAN HARDLY KEEP UP GOT IT ON 69 AND ITS KEEPING MY INTERNAL TEMP AT 80 DURRING THE HIGH POINTS OF THE DAY. THIS IS GETTING OLD. WHERE IS THE BREAK???

28 Bobbie { 07.20.11 at 8:54 pm }

So far the predictions for the PNW have been spot on. Its been cooler here on the Oregon Coast, a few storms here and there but sunshine in between. Garden is doing ok. The cool weather crops are fairing very well. Would love to see more sunshine than rain…after all, it is almost August. Don’t quite know what what unsettled weather means, but I am assuming thunder showers off and on. I don’t mind summer rain, as long as it doesn’t last too long.,,an hour or so is perfect.

29 Len { 07.20.11 at 1:57 pm }

Humm, not very accurate at all. Course, it doesn’t surprise me one bit. No one has been able to predict what the weather is going to do. Super storms popping up out of no where, unusually high temps, too dry in some areas, floods in others…
Something is up and no one is talking. The sun seems to be rising and setting wrong too. I know my land very well and when the sun sets too close to my northern driveway, I suspect something weird happened and no one is saying what (earth tilt?)

30 Kris46 { 07.20.11 at 2:17 am }

Caleb the forecaster would have better luck watching the weather channel, or sticking his head out the window. These forecasts are absolutely inaccurate. I am very disappointed.

31 Sheri { 07.19.11 at 6:42 pm }

We are now at 54 days of 100 + temperatures. I am so ready for FALL!!

32 Sheri { 07.19.11 at 11:01 am }

I live in North Texas- -temperatures of 105 have longed forever. WE NEED RAIN–can you tell me when we could see some rain!!!!

33 Bret { 07.19.11 at 8:44 am }

Good Morning.. I have a question… When will this major heat wave break in the Long Island, New York area? I know it’s nothing compared to the Midwest. Will the rest of the summer be as hot? Thanks… I really appreciate the answers.

34 Eric { 07.16.11 at 8:16 pm }

I wish I could see one whole month without rain. Here in central WI our water table is so high I’ve been fighting to keep my basement from flooding since April with all the snow melt and rain. It just won’t stop…..Just a few training storms away from not keeping up with the water. I’m exhausted from the fight and stress. No offense almanac people, but I hope your wrong with your rain predictions….. :(

35 Amanda { 07.16.11 at 6:53 pm }

No wonder I dislike Texas summers… ugh! It’s so very hot. I’d do anything for a high of 93 instead of 103.

36 Holrimar { 07.16.11 at 11:24 am }

It’s very hot and very dry here in southern ontario…drought conditions and camp fire alerts…I think the predictions are way off as well, but so are the online weather network/channel and environment canada! No one is getting it right!

37 Courtney { 07.16.11 at 10:03 am }

Heat? What heat? I’d give my left pinkie for a little heat. In the NW we’ve only gotten above 80 ONCE!! Most days are still in the 60s. Great summer weather- too cold to even wear shorts. We haven’t put away our winter clothes at all. This SUCKS! Anyone living in hot weather, feel free to come up and visit- we can trade houses for a weekend.

38 tracyq { 07.11.11 at 6:18 pm }

I live in Russellville ,Arkansas and here the temp has been around 103 to 112 in last week or so.Just cant wait till fall.

39 Megan { 07.10.11 at 5:23 pm }

the weather is crazy, , one day it is high heat indexes of 103+, the next day it is mid to low 70′s, , then we will have a couple days of nasty storms with wind/hail/ect. come through then it is dry as can be,, located in missouri by the way
our garden just don’t know what to do!!when time to water it seems like that is when a storm will pop up and rain for a couple days so then our garden is flooded,, , and the weatherman can’t get nothing right,, they said no rain for the next few days and then that night it started to storm at 4am, blew over a bunch of our trees and storms hung around for a couple days!!! Wish things would mild out and give us and the garden a break!

40 rargento { 07.08.11 at 5:30 pm }

Is late september weather and early october weather similar in new york? how does the weather look for these months in New York?

41 Tevb { 07.06.11 at 3:18 pm }

I think someone missed the mark! We are experiencing extreme heat and drought! When will Oklahoma see relief?

42 Casey { 07.03.11 at 12:09 am }

I live by Lubbock, Texas, and we haven’t seen a drop of rain since March! We are dying out here with extreme temperatures and no rain. Farmers here are predicting that we may see snow before we see any rain. Any truth to that? Our weather is in complete contradiction to your forecast. We’ve not had average precipitation–we’ve had NO precipitation. Any prediction when this is going to end?

43 rose { 06.22.11 at 11:40 am }

Planning to go camping weekend of July1-5 We are going near Warren Ohio how is the weather going to be?

44 bonnie { 06.21.11 at 2:00 pm }

I live in northern MN and spring was really warm, but now its been cold and rainy most of the time. I planted my garden on June 5th, and the only thing growing are the tomatoes and potatoes. Only a few green beans came up and look like they are dying and the onions are doing nothing! Do you think it will warm up soon and will we get lots of sunshine?? I’m wondering if I’ll have to replant beans.

45 Jaime McLeod { 06.21.11 at 9:03 am }

Kari,
“Unsettled” usually means rain, yes, though more in the form of gray, dreary, spitting skies, accompanied by wind, than an actual downpour.

46 Jaime McLeod { 06.21.11 at 8:59 am }

Hi Jenni,
You can see our long-range forecast for the Pacific Northwest here: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/northwest-us/

I wouldn’t worry about extreme heat at all. That area should be pretty pleasant all summer long. There are a few thunderstorms you’ll need to worry about, so if you want sunny skies, aim for somewhere between the 8th and the 19th. There will be a few dreary days in there, but the weather will be better, overall, than the early and late days of the month.

47 Jenni { 06.20.11 at 4:12 pm }

Hi, we are planning a trip to Grants Pass, Oregon in August…trying if possible to avoid extreme heat :-/ Any suggestions for the best week-10 days of the month in that area?

48 Kari { 06.19.11 at 4:27 pm }

Caleb,
I looked at the Pacific Northwest forecast for August but not sure what the unsettling means for Washington. I’m having an outdoor wedding August 13th and concerned that unsettling means rain. Can you elaborate? Thank you

49 Jaime McLeod { 06.13.11 at 8:31 am }

Well,
2011 is over. Do you mean 2012? We’ll be releasing our winter outlook later this summer. In late August.

50 John { 06.12.11 at 11:38 pm }

Hello, I was wondering if 2011 is going to have a early winter or a later winter?

51 Jaime McLeod { 06.08.11 at 2:11 pm }

Hi Wendy,
Go check out our Long Range Forecast at http://www.farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/
You didn’t say where the wedding was, so I can’t give you the weather, but you’ll be able to find it if you just click on your state on the long range weather map. If you’re a site member, and logged in, you’ll see four months of predictions. Even of you’re not, you’ll see two months, which is enough to show you the date you’re looking for.

52 Wendy { 06.08.11 at 2:07 pm }

My son is planning an outside wedding on July 30, 2011. Do you have any insite as to what the weather might be on that day? We do have a back up plan in case of rain…but praying for a nice day!

53 ken { 06.03.11 at 8:36 pm }

i live in southeast texas and we have not had any good rain since before last summer..very hot and dry, normally its pretty damp around here…plants and trees are starting to die….got a feeling were going to get a gulf storm this year :(

54 Caleb Weatherbee { 06.03.11 at 8:24 am }

Well Susan,
I like to think of it as Mother Nature balancing the checkbook. Some years, we see extreme weather and other years we have calm pleasant weather. When we have a nice year, it’s easy to forget that natural disasters are always looming as a possibility, but extreme weather has always been a part of the Earth’s fabric. If you look through some of the historical weather articles right here on this site, you’ll read about massive floods, years without a summer, a mini ice age in the Middle Ages, and more.

55 Susan { 06.02.11 at 11:10 am }

Hey Caleb! Just wondering if you have any insight as to why the weather has been so severe this year (besides the usual global warming answer..although I understand it does have a big influence)….but the flooding and tornados have been crazy all over and the temp’s extreme fluctuations seem to be all over as well….not just here in Wisconsin!

56 Shelly { 06.01.11 at 6:11 pm }

I can’t stand the Heat!!! I’m a winter Baby who loves the cold air. It makes me happy… And, I’m pray it comes back fast!! Although, I’m wondering what the fall & winter will be like this year in Texas!!

57 jeri { 05.31.11 at 12:11 pm }

i live in ohio, and we have had sooo much rain and flooding. of course we have needed the rain, as we were very below average. we’ve gone from 55 to almost 95 in only a couple weeks. that is very hard to get used to…when it keeps bouncing up and down. i really would like this summer to have steady temps….preferably warm :)

58 Sydney { 05.30.11 at 2:19 am }

Any of you getting rain pleased feel blessed. It seems we’re headed toward a dust bowl in S. and W. Texas.

59 heidi { 05.28.11 at 3:47 pm }

hoping for more rain than last year. trying to start my back yard….need consistent rainfall. please be more specific about western colorado…we are not northern rockies region!

60 jenny { 05.25.11 at 12:38 pm }

i live in kansas & the weather here is a joke! it was 95 for 2 days, on the 3rd day we woke up to 3 inches of snow. i just want 1 normal wkend…

61 Ali { 05.25.11 at 10:05 am }

I surely hope we have nice weather here in Alberta, Canada this summer. If we get too much rain the fleas get worse and we cannot afford to spend so much money like we did last summer to keep the fleas out of our house. Any suggestions? I hear diatomaceous earth does wonders.

62 lynnbalderas { 05.24.11 at 10:29 pm }

Love the outllook hope we get some flooding concerns here in south texas.

63 Bk { 05.24.11 at 1:54 am }

Ive been living in las Vegas with major sun depression for years.It hadn’t rained here since I don’t know when and the forecast is hot and sunny and hotter and sunnier for the next couple months.. I just wish it would rain, I love the rain..

64 olivia jones { 05.19.11 at 1:10 pm }

I live in Michigan….it is the middle of May and still freezing.

I’m guessing a cold wet Summer for us.

Not Fair!!!!

65 Brad Jackson { 05.17.11 at 1:26 pm }

The Pacific NW will REMAIN cool all summer. Great!…..Wet, rain, showers, gray skies 24/7, and cold for 10 months only to get more cool weather for summer. I love it…NOT!!! Summer usually starts July 5th here in Portland and ends July 6th.

66 Evna Turner { 05.16.11 at 7:55 pm }

I know for sure that this summer will be cooler and weter just like summer 2009 since last summer was perfectly hot and dry

67 Beth Fridinger { 05.12.11 at 4:34 am }

I hope the weather will be hot and sunny but not too hot…some rain but not a lot. Last year I had an amazing vegetable garden. I sure don’t want a season like 2009 where there was lots of rain, little sun, and gardens did not prosper. July was COLD. Because of that, I loved the hot summer of 2010 and did not complain because the year before we had no summer at all. Right now May is very overcast and showers and already my newly planted garden plants need sun and I fear they will be too wet and rot. It was a cold snowy winter and I’m tired of being cold!

68 wanda { 05.08.11 at 8:13 am }

I am one of those people that cant be pleased.I complain its too cold in the winter,then too hot in the summer.I would say i like spring and fall the best.Im just lucky enough to live in an area where i can experience all the seasons.West Virginia gets all the seasons they have to offer.

69 SiberianExpress2007 { 05.06.11 at 4:54 pm }

I hope this forecast is wrong. Last summer’s miserable heat and humidity was not fun. I desperately desire a cool summer like the summer of 2009.
It doesn’t make any sense whatsoever why so many people love hot, stiffling weather and have a deep-seated hatred for winter weather.

70 Lainey Sunshine { 05.05.11 at 6:26 am }

I am looking forward to a hot summer, I just hope we don’t get as much rain as we are having this spring.

71 Jaime McLeod { 04.21.11 at 8:18 am }

Hi Ann,
You can always check our long-range forecast for up to four months of free predictions: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/

Looks like we’re calling for it to be cloudy and warm.

72 Phyllis { 04.21.11 at 8:02 am }

I will never complain about the summer I love the hot weather , I hate the cold and the snow.

73 Dawn { 04.20.11 at 9:43 pm }

Pray for central, west, and south Texas – our rainy season didn’t come this year and we are under severe drought conditions.

74 cindy { 04.20.11 at 4:20 pm }

And all that complained about the winter will soon be complaining about the heat and humidity, some people are hard to please! LOL

75 Ann Horton { 04.20.11 at 10:09 am }

Well, I’m getting married the evening of June 21st, 2011 in a Gazebo in Sheboygan WI on the lake. I’m praying that day is sunny and warm…do you think my prayer will be answered :)

76 Mary Graves { 04.20.11 at 9:46 am }

I wish you gys would include just the west texas area. We are a large populated area and yet no one seems to have us for a area. We have not had no rain her ein New Home Texas..(our area is not populated but we live outside of lubbock,Tx) since October of last year. I need hopeand if your map is right it says we are going tohave a wetter than average…when will it get here?.Fires all over Texas.

77 Jaime McLeod { 04.20.11 at 9:33 am }

Hi Louise,
You can visit our long-range forecast for your area, linked above, at the end of the article. Site members get four months for free.

78 Louise Cronian { 04.20.11 at 9:04 am }

Can you be more specific about the Utica, New Hartford, Syracuse area. Will it be hot and humid and stormy or will we have a pretty good summer?

Louise Cronian

79 Grandin { 04.18.11 at 4:10 pm }

I hope this summer isnt nothing like 2010 summer. But i do want things to be warm with avg. rain. And i think the upper midwest will get that this year! I want some good thunderstorm action too!