Waxing Crescent

2011 Winter Outlook – The Wait is Over!

Please note: This is for the winter of 2010-2011.
Farmers’ Almanac’s U.S. Winter Outlook for 2011-12 can be found here »

The suspense is finally over. The 2011 Farmers’ Almanac is on shelves now, and our much-awaited long-range forecast for the coming year is no longer a secret. Last year, the Farmers’ Almanac predicted that February would bring widespread snowfall, including many blizzards. That prediction proved all too accurate, with snow blanketing states as far south as Florida and a beast of a storm — dubbed “Snowmageddon” by President Obama — shutting entire cities down throughout the Mid-Atlantic region.

So what’s in store for the coming winter?

(The following overview is for the United States. To read our predictions for Canada, click here).

2010/11 Farmers' Almanac Winter Outlook Map (United States)

2010/11 Farmers' Almanac Winter Outlook Map (United States)

For the coming year, the Farmers’ Almanac predicts that Old Man Winter will exhibit a “split personality.” The eastern third of the country, (New England down to Florida and as far west as the lower Ohio River and Mississippi River Valley), will experience colder-than-normal winter temperatures. Across New England, where relatively balmy temperatures prevailed during the winter of 2009—2010, the upcoming winter will be the equivalent of a cold slap in the face, as we forecast much colder-than-normal temperatures.

Meanwhile, for the Western States, milder-than-normal winter temperatures are expected. They will spread from the Pacific Coast inland as far as the Rockies and the western Great Plains. Across the nation’s midsection, near-normal winter temperatures are anticipated.

In terms of precipitation, three storm tracks are expected to predominate during this upcoming winter season. One will be across the Gulf Coast and Southeast, delivering copious amounts of precipitation from lower Texas across the South (Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia) into the Mid-Atlantic region. A second storm track will be oriented across southwestern Canada into the Great Lakes, producing a procession of fast-moving “Alberta Clipper” systems that will bring snowier-than-normal conditions to parts of the Northern and Central Plains, and to the Ohio River and Great Lakes region. As these clipper systems move off the Atlantic Coast, colder-than normal conditions will move into much of the East. Disturbances sweeping in from the Pacific are expected to bring above-normal precipitation to parts of the Pacific Northwest.

For a more detailed forecast for your region, keep your eye on our long-range forecast, or pick up a copy of the 2011 Farmers’ Almanac, in stores now.

1 Gordieo { 03.28.11 at 3:53 pm }

Very impatiently awaiting the arrival of spring here in Iowa. The snow is gone, but the temps can’t seem to get past 40 on any consistent basis. I’m tired of this cold!

2 Tina Lawson { 03.28.11 at 11:50 am }

Does anyone know the Cherokee Winters? If so, please tell me the winters you know. I would like to pass this information to the next generation. It is accurate. However, I have forgotten them.

3 lynnbalderas { 03.22.11 at 11:29 pm }

What do you guys think south texas gonna see a wet spring/summer.

4 Dannog3212 { 03.21.11 at 5:28 pm }

“All things considered, when comparisons to last year are made, we believe that for most, it will turn out to be a “kinder and gentler” winter overall.”
YEAH RIGHT!!!

5 Leanne { 03.12.11 at 11:53 pm }

Interesting. We’ve already had a couple of t-storms accompanied by tornado watches.

6 mlaenger { 03.12.11 at 10:30 pm }

I’ve heard that if it thunders in Febuary , it’ll frost in April, Look out!

7 Leanne { 03.12.11 at 3:29 pm }

The FA has predicted a large snowstorm for KS/MO naer the end of March. I’ve been waiting to plant the garden with anticipation of this storm. Anyone know if it’s still supposed to occur? It’s been pretty warm here… :)

8 Vonnie { 03.12.11 at 1:43 pm }

I agree with ” Just Me”.

9 HoustonSnow { 03.08.11 at 7:52 pm }

What about winter 2011/2012 I know it’s soon. But Houston didn’t really see any winter this year……I would love some snow lol hence my username!

10 admin { 03.07.11 at 9:39 am }

Hi Bob,

We’ll be releasing our Spring forecast next week but Summer likely won’t be released until sometime in May.

11 Bob { 03.07.11 at 9:16 am }

When is the summer 2011 forecast going to be released?

12 Jody { 02.28.11 at 6:32 pm }

the best thing for shrews or moles is moth balls. We had them once and i put one or two moth balls in each hole. Within days, there were dead moles everywhere. We haven’t seen them or had problems with them in 20 yrs since.

13 Brooklyn { 02.27.11 at 7:56 pm }

as far as the moles go… foot powder.. seriously. dig some small holes in your yard and dust them with foot powder, like the kind they treat athletes foot with. it works… really well

14 FireEagle { 02.25.11 at 8:52 am }

I too have been inundated with gophers when they plowed the field next to me. I have several cats that troll thru looking for a tasty meal but they have not been able to get them all. I simply flood their holes with water and sometimes they pop out and I take care of them. Other times they hunker down. The are dormant right now so I will see when they pop up in a few weeks. I have eliminated over 10 gophers last summer.

15 Audrey { 02.17.11 at 6:16 pm }

My yard has been invaded by moles. What can i do to get ride of these pests and not harm my outside cat ?

16 Sandi Duncan { 02.15.11 at 2:46 pm }

@ Sue …I feel for you. 80 inches of snow is too much snow!! Unfortunately there may be a good chance of some flooding due to a quick warm up and a wet spring the Farmers’ Almanac is forecasting in your area. I’ll hope for the best but suggest you enlist some family and friends to help you through the next few months. Best of luck.Hopefully Mother Nature will balance her checkbook and melt the snow slowly.

17 Sue { 02.15.11 at 2:00 pm }

Please tell me we are not going to have a rainy spring like last year in the Boston to Worcester, MA area as we have over 80″ of snow on the ground since December -more than I have ever seen and I live in a multilevel house with the 1st floor half underground – windows just above ground level – and am afraid of getting water in there. Never have so far but do get water in the basement when there is a lot of rain (sump pump and bottom of a hill). If this melts and we have much rain I am so scared — the one room is paneled and the bathroom has melamine walls so it would be too late by the time I dicovered it and I am severely allergic to mold. Have been trying to dig as much as I can at 73 years old but no place to put it either. Any reasurrance would be appreciated.

18 Pete { 02.03.11 at 12:17 am }

The term is actually spelled Graupel (looks like white dipping dots)

19 Pete { 02.03.11 at 12:13 am }

You want to complain… we have already had 55 inches of snow this winter in SE Massachusetts and the snow banks around my home are abouth 20 feet high and no place left to put any more snow, but we have about 6 inches more coming on Saturday and as I am writing this there are still flurries out there. A thunderstorm passed by earlier dropping large hail stones and before that we had the rare occurence of gropple which looks like something like ice cream dipping dots and is caused when rain, sleet and snow occur at the same time… so today we ran the full gambit of seeing snow, rain, sleet, gropple and hail!

20 Joyce { 02.02.11 at 4:10 pm }

First of all I would like to thank “Farmers Almanac” for there predictions on the yearly weather which is highly accurate. Second, they are usually right, as the farmers know,because of their crops, the soil, and even the barnyard animals. From the top of the list of predictions is “God”, and Mother Nature. Farmer’s Almanac has been out and their predictions for many years. My mother who is of Cherokee Indian decent could predict the weather like nothing else. My grandfather was a Cherokee Indian, full blooded. I also have that blood line trait, and wish I had gone into Meteorology vs. Law & Criminal Justice. If I say snow, rain, hurricane, or a tornado is coming, trust me, my predictions are 99.9% right. We just had the ground hog to predict whether we are having an early spring or not, well I already predicted it last week. We still have a little Winter to go through, but I feel Spring will arrive early. We also need the “Snow” to combat Summer droughts. So, just prepare for the colder weather we’re having and let “God” and Mother Nature do their thing. My mother believed in The Farmers Almanac too, even though she had her bloodline instincts on the weather, we grew up trusting in their accurate forecast. I’d never known them to be wrong, even growing up as a child…”Smile”.

21 cw { 02.02.11 at 3:01 pm }

im from long island ny and farmers almanac is SOOOOOO WRONG and not even close… We are bombarded with snow week after week..
Dont bother guessing.

22 Just me { 02.02.11 at 11:17 am }

Wow! I am really surprised at how many people have bad attitudes on here. The prediction came really close. This isn’t a fortune teller, it’s a weather prediction. Do you get as mad at your local news when they mix up or misinterpret the local forecast.? Have a cup of tea or a xanax and calm down. Maybe see a therapist for all that pent up anger. Thanks Farmer’s Alamanac for providing a reasonable estimate of the weather.

23 Betty { 02.02.11 at 4:21 am }

What the hell…you wrote this article in August of 2010 verifying the facts of February 2011?! Really? Yeah, you might just be lucky! It was 50/50 there…erring on your side.
Tonight I’m staying up to watch it…the biggest blizzard in Chicago since…since I wasn’t alive.

24 Beach Baby { 02.01.11 at 1:04 pm }

Sunny and breezy here in Fla! But I’m originally from Jersey so I know what the winter weather is like up north. Worst thing we have to watch for here is hurricanes. Sorry you guys are all freezing. That’s why I love the Sunshine State!

25 admin { 01.31.11 at 7:52 pm }

Thanks Jayson. For the record, we enjoy Pez.

26 Jayson { 01.31.11 at 7:31 pm }

Poor Farmers Almanac.. SO Close.. New england is by far WELL OVER average snowfall.. it has been bitter cold, in the teens and lower the past few weeks with no end in site. we get about 10 inches of snow a week, every week, for the past two months. the record is 107.. were pretty close to that now and getting 20 more on wednesday. If we have another storm after that(which would be weird if we didnt at this rate) then weve set the alltime snowfall record for the region.. if thats average then I’m a mexican turtle named Bruce who eats Pez out of a used banana peel that fell out of a hot air balloon owned by Terrence Trent Darby.

27 Donna { 01.30.11 at 8:45 pm }

Here it is January 31.2011…winter advisory predicts 8 to 10 inches of snow for central Indiana by Wednesday night. UGH!!!! For me? I’m praying Spring gets here real soon. I hate the cold …..

28 mike { 01.30.11 at 1:19 pm }

this prediction is wrong… so far in boston area we have seen about 61″ of snow so far with more to come tuesday-wednesday and again on saturday……… the normal is around 40”

29 Ivy { 01.30.11 at 1:09 am }

Unless it predicted that we were gonna have snow so bad and high that people would be stuck in their houses and not be able to get out then it’s totally wrong. Being in CT with the almost constant snow now and nowhere for it to go it just keeps piling up. I hate snow, and it’s easy to say if you don’t like where you live then move, but it’s different to just uproot everything and move if you don’t have those kind of funds available. So it’d be nice to stop hearing that unless someone wants to fork over free money for that purpose. Cause as we all know nothing in life is free.

30 Mark { 01.28.11 at 12:39 am }

Hello everybody,
North Carolina guy here,was wondering if the Sandhills Area will see anymore snow in 2011.Ironically,I was born in Watertown New York,but been in NC since I was Six. and have a cousin named Sharon.( I noticed a post from a Watertown raised Sharon)I feel for those in the SNOW burdened North.PS,Don’t forget to make Snow Cream,delicious,use clean soft snow!Safe JOURNEYS ALL

31 Missy { 01.27.11 at 9:20 pm }

Hey Lou, have you tried reading about the Mayan Calendar at all? I’m sure any actual research would be too far reaching for you, so just look it up on Wikipedia. No apocalypse, dude. Sorry.

32 nathanrocks10 { 01.27.11 at 6:13 pm }

I live in central Connecticut and i love how this is saying average precipitation because in this month alone we have had over 5 feet of snow. At least their right about the bitter cold because last week it was -35 degrees,

33 joe laginestra { 01.27.11 at 9:47 am }

To Stephanie,
I agree with Lou. There are things happening on a scale that’s never happened before. Oil is running out and the main powers are starting to position thesmelves on the world stage for the last few drops of it, that’s the beginning of World War III. That’s is just one scenerio honey so get your bunker built as fast as possible because things are about to change mighty quick. The Apocalypse is upon us and for those who are not prepared, don’t come knocking on my survival bunker for food because you will be shot dead.

34 Stephanie { 01.26.11 at 1:09 pm }

To Lou: Stop with the craziness. No one can predict an apocolypse. As long as the world has existed, there have been weather pattern changes. And we can’t determine all the weather patterns through out the world’s existance because there are no “weather Channel” records from 2000+ years ago.

35 Danny { 01.23.11 at 9:21 am }

This Predictions Dont Seem Accurate For The Northeast We Have Had above Average Snow Fall Amount in the matter Fact We Keep on Getting Dumped With snow

36 JANIE { 01.22.11 at 9:02 am }

I live in Northeast Georgia… and was left speechless for a moment reading the article above saying: ”
One will be across the Gulf Coast and Southeast, delivering copious amounts of precipitation from lower Texas across the South (Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia) ” Although eerie to think it could be predicted that far out, it is clear to me that last week was the prediction !! I certainly hope so!! We were all stranded in our homes for 3 days – some of my co-workers for 5 days.

37 Lou { 01.20.11 at 7:20 pm }

I got news for you folks up north. Ask yourselves this question: Why is the ice in the poles melting? Think a little but quick. Problem is, by the time the poles end their shifting, the planet will undergo a reform which will shut off mother earth briefly. It’s all documented in the Book of Apocalypse. It has started and I believe the Maya’s predictions about 2012 are part of the Apocalypse plan.

38 Lynn { 01.13.11 at 7:30 pm }

Im interested in looking how February and March 2011 are gonna be? I have two major events in our life…wedding and a baby.! I prefer not to have snow if possible! I live near the coast of Ocean City NJ! I hope we are getting the best of in now! ha ha! Happy New Year!

39 Cody { 01.12.11 at 10:12 am }

Well I live In South Eastern OHIO And we got a lot of snow here last year and this year 2011..But Please tell me were going to have more blizzards?…

40 nicole { 01.11.11 at 6:17 pm }

well here in mass we are getting pelted. over a foot of snow a week and a half ago now starting 2am tonight a supposide nor’easter again another up to 16 inches!!

41 Josh { 01.11.11 at 1:08 am }

1/10/11 – 1/11/11 big snow storm western south and central Iowa whole area at least 6″ up to 13″ in some areas in south west Iowa looking good so far

42 Melissa { 01.09.11 at 12:08 am }

I’m afraid y’all missed the mark this year for Kentucky. We were looking forward to the “very cold w/average wintry precip” after last winter dumped snow after snow after snow on us. We’ve had a repeat of it THIS year. For December 2010, we had snow well before Christmas and also on Christmas Day (yay!), and enough snow SINCE then to cover December AND January. Here it is January 9th, and we have a couple of inches on the ground now, and are expecting another system to move in early next week. This is definitely not average for us. The kids love it, but it’s wearing us parents out!! Boo! Go away, snow!!

43 kaleb bray { 01.04.11 at 4:09 pm }

in alabama there aint much snow and is there going to be bad weather january 31st

44 Sharon { 01.04.11 at 3:35 pm }

Hey I grew up in Watertown, NY..one of the biggest snowbelts around…people up there would laugh to see how really little we actually get around here..I remember 100 inches of snow and red flags on the stop signs to guide you that the snow was so high…spring is just around the corner, well about 3 more months

45 Sandra { 01.02.11 at 8:33 am }

Mn. winter’s they come and go nothing new. It’s God country up here!! besides, the summer’s on the 10,000 lakes make up for it !! Enjoy

46 Raymond Berggrun { 12.30.10 at 6:45 pm }

I live in the up-state of S.C. Can anyone tell me what this winter has in store for us this year?

47 Scott L Curry { 12.27.10 at 8:38 am }

I live in West Virginia. If we didn’t even get this last snow at Christmas. We would of had a white Christmas anyways. Before the Snow Storm ever came we already had 8 inches on the ground.

48 grace { 12.26.10 at 6:41 pm }

I live in upstate NY. Two hours north of Syracuse. We have not had enough snow in the past two years or more to enjoy our snowmobiles. It really stinks to see places that don’t want it get it when we are giving up hope of having enough to enjoy the winter. Any chance we will get any sometime soon.

49 lisa brewer { 12.26.10 at 8:01 am }

how does it look for missouri?

50 ivan { 12.24.10 at 6:28 pm }

Hi all……just another nut lover here. The nut/acorn trees have cycles they go through. The black walnuts have a four year cycle……one year mast (mucho) production, next year little production, next two years normal production. The oaks have a similar cycle, varying with the subspecies. The seed production has nothing to do with the future weather.
Shalom

51 Jessica { 12.23.10 at 2:50 pm }

I live in northern Texas and my children ranging from 2 to 10 (I have 4) want it to snow so bad. I am unable to travel do to vehicle complications. Does anyone know if there will be snowfall in december in texas or even in 2011? Any response would be helpful. Happy Holidays to all! :)

52 mark { 12.21.10 at 12:26 pm }

hi my name is mark i live in vanouver b c canada i h that is going to get lots of snow but we just got 1 day of snow now is raining out her r we going to get the snow this y or w they r tx mark sorry i can not spell well

53 Kyleigh { 12.18.10 at 9:12 pm }

I live in Whitefield NH, it has been freezing lately. We will have a white x mas!!! :)

54 Sandi Duncan { 12.17.10 at 9:21 am }
55 vlw { 12.17.10 at 1:02 am }

Will be vacationing starting at New Year’s – January 7th/8th. Where will be a good place to go to see snow falling from the sky and accumulating. I used to live in Indiana but live in Florida…have been here over 20 years. I would love to see a good snow storm while vacationing.

56 samiha { 12.16.10 at 11:10 pm }

I’m planning a trip abroad but need to be back by Feb. 27th. How can I find out if that day might be bad for flying back into JFK?

57 Jeff { 12.16.10 at 12:45 pm }

Here in Minnesota, haven’t had a temp. above average since Thanksgiving! Allready 3 feet of snow on the ground…forecast is right on so far…see you all in April..i hope!!!

58 cody { 12.16.10 at 5:35 am }

After last year’s winter being the biggest let-down of my life I was really hoping for a white Christmas in Washington State this year, guess its time to move to the arctic. Or to California where brown Christmas happen for a reason.

59 Kdog { 12.15.10 at 9:39 am }

Hey, I live in Cincinnati Ohio and last year snow was a record snowfall since 1917 so that was a cold winter last year for us, Now it wasnt snowing in ohio for a long time because of last year they took a lot of that snow from this year and in ohio we might just have us a snowy christmas I looked up all the weather and stuff like that and theres a 15 day weather forecast so yeah in ohio we might have us a winter holiday :)

60 Eichinoregon { 12.14.10 at 11:07 pm }

thanks sandi duncan i live near portland OR and ive seen alot of caterpillars this fall and they all have had a HELL of a lot more black than orange… like two times more. i hope what your saying is true cuz i LOVE LOVE LOVE the snow

61 Alyssa { 12.14.10 at 10:22 pm }

NOOOOOOooooooOOOOOoooooooOO!!!!!!!!!! I was dying for a snowy winter here in Western Washington!!! Does anyone know if there will be at least one more bout of snow before the winter is up?

62 Punxsutawney Phil { 12.14.10 at 9:55 pm }

Snow is for all the real men and women around here… of course it helps when you’re fuzzy like me!

63 J.C { 12.14.10 at 8:45 pm }

guess you are right after all is mild in Washington tis sucks no more snow sniff

64 Vikki { 12.13.10 at 10:58 am }

I am from Pittsburgh and our Steelers can play in any kind of weather!!! Bring it on. I was born in December and I love snow…

65 Theo { 12.13.10 at 9:44 am }

LOVE the snow! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! But you gotta be prepared for it [(winter hats, gloves, layers of clothes, boots, good tire treads, shovels, flashlight, extra batteries, etc. Food (especially bread, milk, and sugar — bare necessities). And gotta prepare your mind (slower driving, not too much air in the tires, etc.) to just take your time.]

66 Tina { 12.12.10 at 8:28 pm }

I HATE SNOW!!! LIVED IN NEW ENGLAND ALL MY LIFE AND HAVE NOT LIKED THE WINTERS SINCE I WAS A YOUNG.

67 Steven T. Sundberg { 12.12.10 at 10:45 am }

I tell people that you really have not lived until you have repaired a broken water main in the middle of the night in the middle of Feb. I live on Long Island and am retired from Local 1298 Laborers Union. I have done it many times. I still enjoy the winter. There is something about the first snowfall that I can’t explain. I am prepaired for anything, I hope. I have a snow blower, a generator, extra gasoline, a gas stove, a fireplace and always plenty of food. I have a four wheel drive pickup but prefer to just sit in the living room with a fire and a movie. What comes is out of our hands. The key is to be prepaired for the worst and make the best of it. Even as a kid a snow day was great at home or in school. If you did make it to school there would be hardly anyone there and half the teachers and you would go home early. Enjoy it.

68 April { 12.10.10 at 11:59 pm }

I live in the Chicago burbs, and I like snow in small amounts (nothing more than 6inches at a time). Chicago weather is funny though, one day its raining and 60 degrees, the next day we gwet snow. I hope we have a mild winter though, don’t feel much like shoveling yet! Everybody stay warm!

69 bob zack robison { 12.10.10 at 6:00 pm }

This site ROCKs, cant wait until winter

70 oregon { 12.10.10 at 4:09 pm }

i have chosen to live where the winters consist of 40 degree rain…I CHOSE THIS. if its too cold where you live…choose to move. if you live where you dont get any snow and want it….choose to move. i dont like hurricanes and tornados, guess what….i choose to not live there

71 Valerie { 12.10.10 at 3:35 pm }

I live in So. MD and last year we were slammed, the first snowstorm my husband was late putting the snow blower attachment on the John Deere (thank God for neighbors) but by the 2nd storm we were prepared so c’mon snow bring it on!!

72 Sasha { 12.09.10 at 10:15 pm }

I live in Lynchburg, Virginia and we saw a lot of snow in late 2009, early 2010. It was great! I sure hope this winter is the same. What’s the point of this icy cold air if we get no snow!! :D Bring it on!!

73 lynnbalderas { 12.07.10 at 9:26 pm }

To FA when do you forcasters think your winter forcast begins to pan out for south texas.

74 Mary Musick { 12.07.10 at 12:24 pm }

Hey BrennaBanana, I just looked at thier forecast for today for us and it said fair and cold! How bout really cold and snowing here. Hope you so get a good snow to enjoy though, I guess as I get older I forget how much we use too love to get out and enjoy it. So heres hoping for a good one for you.

75 Lynne { 12.07.10 at 11:55 am }

I live in Massachesetts and I personally hope we get a lot of snow this year. I LOVE the snow! Not only that, but when it snows, it gets warmer out as well so that you don’t have that painful cold feeling on your face. I just don’t want another ice storm like a couple years ago.. It’s hard for a single mom to try and find a place for 3 kids to stay for a week until the power comes back on and you have to got buy all new food and everything!!

76 BrennaBanana { 12.07.10 at 11:48 am }

I live in Northern Virginia, right across the river from DC (which is, in fact, the REAL Washington to whomever made that comment – we have about 200 years on you), and I was on the last plane out of Reagan National on 12/17/09 to Orlando and thus missed the only white Christmas in my lifetime. Fortunately I was home for Snowmageddon, and enjoyed every second. I hope they ARE wrong because I would love a repeat of last winter! It only took us 14 years to get a decent snowstorm in this area, and during the Blizzard of 96 I was living in Charles County in Southern Maryland where we got over 3 feet – I was only 7 at the time so I disappeared right into the snowbanks! The weather weasels can’t even seem to get a daily forecast right though, so personally I take this map with a grain of salt.

77 Mary Musick { 12.07.10 at 10:11 am }

I hope here in Va we don’t get a lot of cold and snow, the older I get the harder it is to get out and go to work in it. Now if I could stay in by the fire??? Let it snow

78 ShellsMD { 12.06.10 at 10:51 pm }

I live in Southren Maryland and Boy, Oh Boy! It was BAD! We rarely get alot of snow around here. It was so bad that Pax River Navy Base CLOSED! My boyfriend works there with his dad and he said that the base has not closed since 2006 when we had a cat.3 hurricane! My sister was off school for about 2 weeks! It was Wicked! But hey, I LOVE SNOW!!!!!!!

79 Sandi Duncan { 12.06.10 at 4:11 pm }

Weather – especially winter weather – rumors start early and continue to change. We released our outlook in August and have not (nor will we) change this. Stay warm!

80 MsMHS { 12.06.10 at 3:12 pm }

Three months ago the news around this part of Jacksonville, Florida ws that we were to have a warmer winter — now this article says we’re gonna have a colder winter. How is one expected to believe anybody?

81 Lynn { 12.06.10 at 2:15 pm }

Animals all grew their winter coats very early and have much thicker coats this year and acorns are in more than abundance which usually means a harsher winter. I live in Maryland and was right in the middle of that snow mess back in February. Hopefully those back to back blizzards (3 days apart) are one of those “every 10 year” episodes.

82 Shanonymous { 12.06.10 at 4:20 am }

I live near Dallas, Texas and I really, really hope we get snow like we did last winter. It was so awesome. Hopefully not a once in a lifetime experience.

83 justin { 12.06.10 at 2:24 am }

snow is amazing! bring the blizzards!

84 me { 12.06.10 at 12:09 am }

I want a huge snow!!! Snow in Dixie :-)

85 "The Man From Texas" { 12.05.10 at 12:06 pm }

I know that people that live in the northern part of the USA mostly don’t like snow as do the people in the eastern part of the USA because it generally means a lot of work for them just to get around in their cars/trucks & of course there are the people that live in Mass. that are required to shovel any snow build up off of their side walks….on the other hand I’m 71 years old & have lived in the Southeast, East & Southern parts of Texas all my life & have never seen a white Christmas, I have gone to Colorado in the pass to ski (which I’m not good at period) but I learn during those trips that my body couldn’t stand that cold weather at all….I’m hoping that this winter is a mild one because severe winters mean a hardship on everyone in the USA because the prices of fuel goes up & everyone uses fuel, whether it gasoline or heating oil, so lets pray for a mild winter this year even if it proves that Farmers Almanac wrong..Merry
Christmas everybody from Texas………

86 Jeff Johnson { 12.04.10 at 6:59 pm }

The strong La Nina makes this forecast wrong unfortunately. I love snow but Richmond, Va will be lucky to see 1″

87 jpop { 12.03.10 at 2:39 pm }

I’ve always heard if the squirels build their nest close to the ground,the winter would be cold,last year they were right on target. Iv’e noticed this year the nest are a good bit higher.Has anyone else ever heard of this?

88 jpop { 12.03.10 at 2:30 pm }

We live in Senoia,GA about an hour south of Atlanta,we rarely see snowfall, but we did get about 7 inches total last year,everybody is calling for a warmer winter this year but farmers almanac,i say it’s gonna do what it’s gonna do.I would rather see snow than ice,we have seen some ice storms in the past.I would like to see a good snowfall this year.I hope to see a good snowfall when we go to Gatlinburg,Tn. at the end of January.

89 JERRY { 12.02.10 at 10:50 pm }

I hear alot of people saying that they don’t like snow..myself i love it..because its Gods way of saying slow down or stop..people are always in a rush..but when a big snow or ice storm come thru,you have no choice but to slow down or stop..and i love that.

90 Chris { 12.02.10 at 4:16 pm }

I live in Northern Michigan and this fall we have had lots and lots of acorns on the ground. What that usually means here in Michigan is that we are about to have a very cold and a lot of snow I mean a lot of snow come winter. The kids now days need to see the amounts of snow that we used to get when I was a kid. If we get 3 or 4 inches at a time now days kids say it is a lot of snow. Well when I was a kid my mother has pictures of us kids sledding off the roof of the barn. We had to literally dig our doors out just to get out of the house. The best of all that snow was that every one helped every one with snow removal. I think having a big snow like that again would really teach the kids of today how not to be so damn greedy and how to help others.

91 dustin { 12.01.10 at 10:12 pm }

I own a landscaping business in Ky and i hope we get feet of snow so we can work its been a terrible summer because of dry conditions.

92 Julie { 12.01.10 at 2:36 pm }

I am in near Chicagoland, and I am NOT happy about this “lots of snow” prediction. I absolutely hate snow. I wish I could hibernate the entire winter.

93 Jennifer { 12.01.10 at 11:21 am }

I HATE snow!!! I live in Michigan and we always get lots of snow for the winter. It’s so split here on opinions of snow. Some people love it and some people hate it. Regardless, we always have a cold and snowy winter so I expect it to be the same this winter.

94 marc { 12.01.10 at 12:40 am }

i havent seen any accorns! im from md and last year was horrible will this year be worst?

95 Snow Hater { 11.30.10 at 1:04 pm }

All of you people who love snow must be crazy–LOL. I hate it. I love to watch it fall, but once it is on the ground it makes it hard to get around. Where I live nobody knows how to drive in it. We had a major snow storm just before Christmas of 2009 that put a stop to almost everything. I had to walk about 3 miles in knee deep snow to get food for my home. Our car was stuck, so off on foot we went. I was only able to bring back food enough for about 2 days, thank goodness it warmed up just before Christmas so I could go out and get food again then. However it did put off our family Christmas dinner until New Years Day due to driving conditions. So I just hope NOT to have a repeat of it this year.

96 Caitlin { 11.30.10 at 12:30 pm }

I live in Northern Virginia and missed the first Christmas Snow because I was at school, soooo LET IT SNOW, SNOW , SNOW!!!

97 admin { 11.29.10 at 11:10 pm }

Hi EJ – Fortunately or unfortunately, we don’t claim to be 100% accurate. Sorry we let you down.

98 rachel { 11.28.10 at 3:58 pm }

I was wondering how much snow is predicted for the month of january for washington state. It just snowed quite a bit before thanksgiving…=/ i hate snow! LOL

99 EJ { 11.28.10 at 1:11 pm }

This forecast is already dead wrong! It’s at or near or below freezing at night here in Tucson almost a FULL MONTH EARLY! Not even close to “mild with average precip”.

100 Mrs. Williams { 11.28.10 at 12:23 pm }

I’m sure glad it takes all kinds to make the world-go-round because I’m reading those who want snow? Not me I want to move to the desert so I can soak up the heat and sunshine, we live in Mo. and I swear its a bi-polar state- never know what your gona get. Glad to hear this winter will be better (less cold, snow, ice) than last yr.

101 damani { 11.25.10 at 5:36 pm }

i live in d.c and hope we have a massive blizzard like last years

102 Linda { 11.24.10 at 11:15 pm }

I guess I need to move out of Wisconsin ASAP as I really prefer to be in warmer destination. Thanks for the long term forecast as I really enjoy your predictions. They are so accurate!

103 melvin { 11.23.10 at 9:50 am }

i hope st. louis gets slammed this year. i want another snowstorm. we haven’t had a bad one since 2007, 12 inches of snow and 2 inches of ice. i hope you guys are right

104 Sara { 11.23.10 at 9:31 am }

I’m in northern VA and I’m really hoping for a winter like last year. 2-3 BIG snow storms that left us with 3 ft of snow every time. :) Keeping my fingers crossed for another great winter!

105 Ken { 11.23.10 at 2:07 am }

I live in Ashland Wisconsin and sure hope we get some massive blizzards this year.

106 Rooster { 11.23.10 at 12:14 am }

I hope and pray that 60 and 70’s all year long.

107 jd { 11.21.10 at 10:06 pm }

i liive in milwaukee and i love snow i skii and we need the snow i need the snow i love that snow bring on the snow babby

108 Vicki { 11.21.10 at 6:34 pm }

@Stephanie, I also live in Tennessee. ( Southeast ). I remember that blizzard very well, and loved it, even though I hoped no one was hurt by it. Every told me that was not predicted, so I no longer worry about the Almanac. Our local weatherman miss the snow about 99% of the time, even when he or she claim it is 100% and they close the schools ahead of time. LOL. It is a big joke in town. You wake up expecting to see several inches, and the sun is shining and the grass is green as can be. Not a cloud in the sky , and of course, ” the 100%. Storm went the other way.”
If it snows, it is a surprise. I no longer listen to anyones predictions .

109 Patsy at the Lake of the Ozarks, Mo { 11.20.10 at 5:32 pm }

Squirrels’ nests: check! acorns: check! wooly worms: check! 2 cords of wood: check! Pantry stocked: check! We love being snowed in. Having a big fireplace
helps to keep us from worrying about a power outage. Generally don’t get much snow until January/February, so will be interesting to see how much we will get. Would love to have a white Christmas. Such a rare occurance here.

110 clynn { 11.20.10 at 7:40 am }

I don’t like winter at all. I can handle all the other seasons, I just can’t take to much of the cold, short days of winter. If we have any snow, I hope it’s never more then 6 inches at the most. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, and I can’t take another snowy winter like last year. I have to do all the shoveling and get to work, I’m on my own. Mother nature, please have mercy on us!

111 Mike { 11.20.10 at 12:36 am }

No disrespect Tracer, but that would be folklore. I think the darker they are, the colder the winter will be.

112 Mike { 11.19.10 at 9:32 pm }

I live in Northern VA, and we had the 12/19/09 storm and the 2/6/10 blizzard, we got ≈18 inches and 36 inches, respectively. I hope deja vu can take control this year!! But, probably not going to happen, maybe one or two 8-10 inch storms.

113 MrsWeaver { 11.18.10 at 1:53 pm }

I live in Pennsylvania and absolutely love snow, so bring it on!! One request though, no heavy snow or black ice!!

114 Alice { 11.18.10 at 10:19 am }

Well here in southwest Michigan the band on the caterpillar is very wide. Last year they had a really short band or no band. We got lots of snow especially lake effect over 100 inches with an average of about 72 inches but the temps didn’t seem cooler than usual. I’m hoping that with the ban very wide this year we’ll have less snow and milder temps, just the opposite of what the almanac predicts. Hey, a person can hope, right?

115 michael { 11.17.10 at 7:27 pm }

i hope we get slammed i want at least 5 or 6 feet by x-mas, but nice powder not that wet heavy crap that mass got last year

116 cat_woman { 11.17.10 at 1:29 pm }

I wouldn’t mind if we had some snow for Christmas, but just a little (2 to 4 inches). After that, no more snow & no more cold. I’m ready for spring.

117 You dont need to know { 11.17.10 at 10:40 am }

I hope the gulf coast from Texas to Florida has a big snowstorm, because its rare and unusual and I love snowy weather.

118 preston { 11.15.10 at 9:08 pm }

i hope we get one of the best snowstorms again. Hereing some snow in the forcast of late next week. yesssss nothin big i dont think.

119 Linda { 11.15.10 at 8:30 pm }

I can do a kinder and milder winter. We were pounded last year in Ohio with snow and ice storms. But it could snow for Christmas, please!

120 Carolyn { 11.15.10 at 5:29 pm }

Snow in South Carolina?? heck yes!!!

121 BlooporialDude { 11.14.10 at 10:12 pm }

Woohoo, snow in Louisiana!

122 tom { 11.14.10 at 3:02 pm }

colder than normal in the east, must be that global warming!

123 David in MA { 11.13.10 at 6:24 pm }

I live in New England…………………….BRING IT ON!!

124 lynnbalderas { 11.13.10 at 11:43 am }

Well its great that the south will get a rainy/maybe even icy winter.

125 Greg { 11.11.10 at 6:21 pm }

For this winter i hope la nina in so. cal brings the violent pacific storm like last la nina in 2007. Even though its going to be dry there is going to be one huge cold storm that will probably bring most of the rain and good skiing to so. cal.

126 chris { 11.11.10 at 5:01 pm }

We live in the norther part of Arksansas and we have not had a good rain since June. Maybe a quarter of a inch. It is so dry and dusty we need rain so bad, people’s well are drying up. I hope we get lots of precipitation. We are really getting worried.

127 natthe1wat { 11.09.10 at 3:23 pm }

I hope there will be some snow in Richmond Virginia, henrico this year like it was last year!! :) Last year was awesome with sn0w finally!! :)

128 Amber { 11.09.10 at 1:47 pm }

I live in Northeast Oklahoma. I’ve heard that we are suppose to get more ice than snow this year. What do you think?

129 john { 11.07.10 at 12:50 pm }

last year on the jersey shore we got so much snow. thiss year i hope for more. what do u think?

130 Emoosh { 11.06.10 at 9:55 pm }

I sure hope that the prediction for the Chicago area is right! i LOVE snow! it is so much fun and can cancel school and makes my world beautiful and it makes your cheeks rosy and its awesome to play, ski, and build cool forts! i want as much snow as possible please! you hear that Mister Weather up there!?!?!

131 QueCarBBQ { 11.05.10 at 7:11 am }

Well, I think the ol Almanac may be very wrong this time. I live in the entrance to the American Alps~West Central Washington(Marblemount) and it has been super mild as far as rain is concerned. We just had 2 beautiful days that were quite sunny and 70+ degrees, breaking all kinds of records for western Washington. Last year, it started raining early October and didn’t quit for months and months but very little snowfall(7″). I want to see some significant snow this year~Happy Holidays To All From Que Car BBQ~

132 Kris { 11.04.10 at 3:26 pm }

“What about the presence of white woolly worms? They, too, seem to have magical powers in weather predictions. Perhaps with an edge over their more popular “cousins” that can merely forecast temperature ranges. While they may be rare in some regions, if they’re spotted, that’s a strong indicator of heavier than average snows for the season. Pair these sightings with all-black woolly bear caterpillars and you may be in for a long, cold spell surrounded by deep snow. ”

133 Chase { 11.03.10 at 2:09 pm }

[ Snow and COLD temps, what do you expcet for southren West Virgina? ] [ I <3 SNOW!!! I PRAY THAT WE GET A HUGE SNOW STORM, LIKE WE DID LAST YEAR!!] [ I <3 <3 <3 SNOW, WHO DOES NOT?! ] [ 2010 – 2011]

134 Chase { 11.03.10 at 2:01 pm }

^_^ [ I beleve that winter here in , West Virginia for 2010-2011, will be quite severe. With heavy snow and very cold temps. ]
[ EVERYONE THAT LIVES OR IS VISTING SOUTHERN WEST VIRGINIA, GET READY, FOR A SNOWY AND COLD WINTER!!!!] I <3 WINTER!!! <3 <3 <3

135 Kirby { 11.03.10 at 1:49 pm }

I run with a plow company. the more snow there is, the more money I make. Let this be an even worse winter than last year’s.

136 Teresa { 11.03.10 at 9:51 am }

I did see one white caterpillar. What does that mean for weather? I live in Louisville Ky. What do you think the weather will be for us?
I love the Farmer’s Almanac. It is the highlight of the fall for me.

137 Debbie { 11.02.10 at 9:49 pm }

I want to know if anyone else have seen the white Wooly Worms this year ?? I have seen a few . I have never seen them before . And what do they mean ? I live in Central Missouri

138 Santa { 11.02.10 at 9:36 pm }

I spend the beginning of winter in a big green chair at a mall in Tacoma,WA. I love the snow and last year we got very little. All of my young visitors seem to enjoy the snow and I know that it makes it much easier for my raindeer to pull the sleigh if there is plenty of snow. So let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

139 Wes { 11.02.10 at 8:45 pm }

It is once again cold and rainy here in Texas after a dry spell. We had our first frosts on the 29th and 30th of October this year which is pretty early for south central Texas, but I like the cold.

140 Weatherfan93 { 11.02.10 at 5:01 pm }

I love this year’s winter forecast!!! The area that I am in (Central IL) is expected see a LOT of snow this winter, especially during December!! In fact, according to local sources, Central IL could see almost 19 inches of snow during the month of December ALONE!!!

141 Ned Richards { 11.01.10 at 1:33 pm }

Well we here in the mid and North Eastern part of PA, the bee hives are are 3 foot off the ground, we have seen “The White Caterpiller” at our farm, tons of acorns that the squirrels are scooping up BUT not many hickory nuts this year!! I say we will have times of heavy snows and if the jet stream is going to do what you say it will do, we will have many 4 to 8 inch snowfalls!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!

142 Ash { 10.31.10 at 9:42 am }

Im in ,Townsend DE. I love the snow, As long as I at home with my kids Bring on the snow other wise stay north I was stuck at work for four days on back roads and on top of that work lost power ,as long as im home bring it on f luckly we have a woodstove so power or no power we are warm nand can eat so bring on the snow note to my boss at the frist site of a snow flake im calling out lol

143 MidMo { 10.29.10 at 4:45 pm }

I live in rural Missouri. The squirrels have been very busy lately, the wooly worms are dark and I have had a very large fuzzy spider and a snake in my house recently. This is something that hasn’t happened before. Also the dogs are already eating more to fatten up for the winter. I don’t like snow and ice so these things are not making me happy. Cold I can tolerate. Snow is another story altogether.

144 Bob { 10.26.10 at 1:01 pm }

I have to say I pay very little attention to the weather men, reason being they are so negative and half of the time they are wrong. IM a positive person, so I have not yet seen a weather man on T.V. or radio tell me there was a 60% chance of sun today. Instead they tell me we have a 40% chance of rain. Lol How about all thier fancy satelites and weather towers, computers etc., with all that technology you would think they would get something right or positive to tell me. I get a kick out of looking at the weather man especially when they tell you today’s forcast will be some sun, clouds, wind and showers, I guess that’s one way to keep your job, just cover it all and no one will get fired or dissapointed in todays weather forcast. Imagine me telling my boss when he asked how the company reports are comming along and I look him in the eye and tell him, Well Sir !!! 40 % looks great, 60 % looks like garbage, but I really like the 40% over the 60%. LOL He would not be to happy, IM sure LOL.

145 Wes { 10.24.10 at 3:59 pm }

I live in about 80 miles west of Houston Texas and its still hot here. A few weeks ago we had lows in the 40s and highs around 80, but now the lows are in the upper 60s and highs in the upper 80s so I’m ready for cool weather again. It is also dry here now. Last month we had over 6 inches of rain, but this month we have not gotten anything except for a sprinkle that came yesterday. Things change so much here in Texas. It is supposed to be La Nina this year. The Farmers Almanac forecast is totally opposite from other forecasts. I hope Farmers Almanac is right and we will have a cold wet winter here in Texas. I guess time will tell which one is correct.

146 troy { 10.23.10 at 10:40 pm }

I like cold weather!!! I’m from the Houston area and as much as I would like for it to be a cold and wet forecast the way things are going right now its almost November and we havn’t had temperature below 77 yet as a high. I’m beginning to wonder! I know they said that this coming tuesday its suppose to get up to 92. Where is the cold?????

147 Michael { 10.23.10 at 4:25 pm }

I live in NW Lower Michigan…the lake effect zone, bring on all the snow and cold you can muster old man winter because we love it! the snowmobiles are ready, the snowboards are ready, the snow-blower is ready and the 4 wheel drive is getting bored from the beautiful summer we had…I say Let it snow let it snow let it snow!!!

148 mattzweck { 10.22.10 at 9:04 pm }

well i don’t which weather prediction to believe the CPC/NOAA says were going to have a la Nina base on ENSO by the way we had a nasty upper level low that gave us lots of lighting rain hail thunderstorms. so i don’t go with any of these government weather predictions and it seems like their always getting the weather wrong either

149 Will { 10.22.10 at 3:01 pm }

Yeah I lost faith in any government “climate experts” after it was proved AL Gores folks fudged number to make it appear manmade global warming was happening.

150 Sherri { 10.22.10 at 12:18 pm }

I live in Garrett County, Maryland. We had get this 272 inches of snow last year. In the month of February my daughter was in school for only 4 – 6 days in the entire month. Please I love the snow but really I don’t like to be paralized and that is exactly what happen. My next door neighbor could not get out of their house and had to have one of their kids climb out the window to shovel out the entrance to the house. Pure craziness please not another like last year!

151 Reggie { 10.22.10 at 2:03 am }

I wouldn’t put much trust in CPC/NOAA. Their forecasts are always based on the ENSO event in its typical state and little of anything else. Just about every forecast I’ve seen except for a few are nothing but exact copies of what they put out (That includes INaccuweather as well). Remember the failure of the government forecasts for last winter? :P

152 Will { 10.21.10 at 2:11 pm }

The CPC just issued their winter predictions and they predict the exact opposite of the farmers almanac. Should be interesting to see who wins.

153 Shelly { 10.21.10 at 11:30 am }

I live in PHILADELPHIA, PA and last year’s winter was HORRIBLE. I heard that this winter will be much much worse. Hell, I’m moving to Florida!!!!

154 Elaine { 10.21.10 at 6:53 am }

Just like Froggysmyname..Live in western PA..tooooooooo much snow last winter and the ice was horrible…I too have retired…cannot even bear to think of another winter like that..I will be sipping tea and watching the snow flakes fall out side my picture window.

155 Jeri { 10.20.10 at 5:33 pm }

We live in Ohio and last winter was awful. We had over 16 inchs of snow and we had blizzards. We even had below ZERO temps almost all winter. I hope this winter is mild I cant take it when that cold.

156 Reggie { 10.20.10 at 4:47 am }

@Martin D.: I’m thinking that the third track that they’re mentioning is likely going to be from the Gulf of Mexico and then up the East Coast.
By the way, here in NC, we had a kid from Concord who entered his woolly worm Jack in the Woolly Worm Festival, and managed to win. The forecast from him is a cold and wintry start to the season with a warm up in the last week of January and first week of February before going back to cold and wintry again for the rest of the winter. :)

157 Martin D. { 10.19.10 at 12:57 pm }

“One will be across the Gulf Coast and Southeast, A second storm track will be oriented across southwestern Canada into the Great Lakes,”
My question is; where or what is the third track ????

158 Christopher Buck { 10.19.10 at 6:38 am }

Last winter, my wife and I were living in Weaverville, NC (10 miles NW of Asheville, NC). On December 17, 2009 we got a big 18″ snow (big by WNC standards). On the same day we lost our power. We were left in the dark and cold for six days. Now I prefer cold weather to hot weather any day of the year but last winter was not fun at all. We now live in the midlands of SC.

159 Leslie { 10.18.10 at 10:32 pm }

Connell, WA here. Havn’t seen “alot” of snow since I was in elementary school in the late sixties. We had snow piles about 8′ high and about 52″ total of snow for the year. Problem was we had more than enough plows so we only missed a couple of days of school. Our local “prognosticator” is pridicting more snow this year than the “Great Winter of ’57”. Hope now. Long nights in the city snow plow are not my ideas of fun. Keep the overtime, let me go skiing and tubing.

160 Kalob { 10.18.10 at 8:01 pm }

live in pennsylvania, and last year we got missed by all the big snow stoms. I love the snow.. After this hot summer i would really love a lot of snow and cold conditions.
BRING ON THE SNOW. !!!!

161 winterwatcher { 10.17.10 at 6:54 pm }

I love winter. I love snow. I love Washington! (The real Washington state that is) The animals are getting their winter coats early. The squirrels are stripping the trees. We did not get much snow last year but everything is pointing to receiving record snowfalls this year. Hurrah! Sorry Farmers Almanac I think you missed it this year but I will wait to see. I love Farmers Almanac too.

162 Lisa { 10.16.10 at 8:50 pm }

I have no idea if this is an indicator, but all of my hens are molting now, growing new feathers. Their last molt was December -February, so they are early this year!
We are in the northeast.

163 king_cat_900_sled { 10.16.10 at 2:35 am }

i am from metaline WA 2 hours north of spokane and 15 mins from canada. i love to sled. last year, we got next to no snow. but this year, i hope we do. we got a shit ton of pears and apples on our trees. and like hundreds of daddy longlegs on the side of our house. im not even kidding i counted 200. does this mean alot of snow? i sure hope so!!!!!

164 KristyOregon { 10.16.10 at 1:39 am }

Live in Oregon..Sounds like another boring one! Would like to say that i havent seen any catapillars yet.. The squirrels have been non stop collecting and my horses are all trying to get their winter coats and fast! So i think they are all confused and being cautious! :)

165 oregon { 10.15.10 at 2:44 pm }

HA! people, at least you dont live in Oregon. rain rain rain rain rain and lots of it…LOTS, thats our winter. 38 degrees and RAIN but i love it, born and raised here

166 Vanessa { 10.15.10 at 1:22 pm }

I live in Maine and after the Hot Humid Hazy summer, i am so looking forward to an Old Fashion Maine winter. I love the cold and stormy nights all snuggled in.
Love It!!

167 C J { 10.14.10 at 10:38 am }

Louisville, KY here – I’ve never in my life seen this many acorns fall, my driveway and sidewalk crunches with the tops from where the squirrels have harvested them, and the squirrels are scurrying all over the place too – does this mean a cold winter for us? If it’s gonna be cold, I want snow to go with it :)

168 Snolover { 10.14.10 at 9:18 am }

I’m Central Florida, East Coast….booo! So tired of the “chilly” weather and nothing to show for it. That’s why, all year, my entire family saves for our annual winter trip to not only be cold, but covered in beautiful, white snow! Don’t get me wrong, the beach is gorgeous, but 24/7…seriously?! Praying for a blizzard when we hit the NC slopes! :p

169 Faith { 10.14.10 at 9:03 am }

I LOVE “bad” winters!!! Bring on the snow! Bring on the ice! Bring on the blizzard and sub-zero wind chills! I live in Florida, but am desperately attempting to get back to my home-state in the Midwest prior to Christmas. One of the local weather forecasters there used to do the “persimmon” and “wooly worm forecast”. Can anyone tell me what that means?? I can’t figure either of them out! Hope your predictions are right! Midwest is going to be very cold and very snowy! Yeah!

170 Shannon { 10.10.10 at 11:41 pm }

I live in Central VA I enjoyed the 50+ inches of snow i recieved @ my house this past winter and i was wondering if this winter will be the same. first significant snow storm i have seen since the blizzard of 96′. I would say VA is more of a Mid Atlantic State so what are you guys predicting for VA for the winter of 2010-2011?

171 sanfordr { 10.10.10 at 1:59 pm }

I am from central OH and really love the snow and hope we get all three major storms and then a few three or four suprise storms. There is nothing out there that can beat being snuggled up under a big balnket and hot cocoa with my 2 children while we read books. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!
Rhonda

172 ANGELA { 10.09.10 at 9:41 pm }

I WANT SNOW!!!!!!SNOW!!!!!!!!!SNOW LOTS OF IT. THERE WAS A LADY WHO WAS 100 YEARS OLD SHE PASSED AWAY SEVERAL YEARS AGO BUT EVERY YEAR THEY WOULD PUT HER PREDICTIONS IN OUR LOCAL NEWSPAPER, SHE WOULD MENTION THE WOOLY WORMS,THE SPIDERS IF THEY WEBBED HIGH A BAD WINTER IF THEY WEBBED LOW TO THE GROUND A MILD WINTER, BUT SHE ALWAYS MENTIONED RINGS AROUND A TREE IF YOU COUNT THEM THAT IS HOW MANY DAYS OF SNOW WE WOULD GET, IVE LOOKED AT SOME TREES CAN NOT FIGURE THAT ONE OUT HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD OF THAT ONE,IF SO PLEASE POST IT I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS ONE. THANKS.

173 romanian { 10.08.10 at 2:16 pm }
174 jim { 10.08.10 at 4:55 am }

Upstate New York here I’m seeing all black catapillars here and squirrels hoarding food up high in the trees. I think were going to see a long winter.. let it snow we can handle it.

175 Jan { 10.07.10 at 5:23 pm }

I live in AR and I’ve found spoons in more that a dozen persimmons and acorns are falling like crazy, lots of squirrels. I love the winter and hope we have lots of snow.

176 Jacob { 10.07.10 at 3:29 pm }

Last year, Alpena Michigan had almost no snow. I love to snowmobile so the last winter espically sucked for me but i am looking forward to this winter coming up. (2010-2011) I wish for a winter like 2008 were we had 2-1/2 to 3ft. of snow. Farmers almanac predicted right for last winter so hopfully this is winter it is also.

177 Nashville { 10.06.10 at 3:33 pm }

Its already been down in the 30’s, with patch frost everynight since sunday here in the Nashville, TN area.

178 jim1 { 10.05.10 at 10:14 pm }

think we will have a colder than normal winter and a bit more snow

179 Tyler { 10.05.10 at 9:52 pm }

hi yes last years winter was horrible, i do admit that but i loved it. i am in baltimore, jer i would like to know how you know its going to be a snowy one on christmas eve. and does anyone if we are going to get alot of snow this year?!

180 jenickki { 10.05.10 at 1:38 pm }

Okay, let’s see if I can shed some light on the whole wooly worm thing. Where I come from, Western PA; we were told the darker the wooly worm the rougher the winter. Last year, all I saw was pitch black wooly worms. Needless to say, our winter was horrible. This year, I have seen nothing but white wooly worms. White wooly worms mean a very mild winter. That says nothing about temp; only that the snow would be mild. Also, there is something to fruit trees having a great deal of fruit on them in October as well. Last year, our pear tree was loaded, pears were falling off..bad winter. This year, we have next to none. I am wishful that is a sign. Oh, and the chestnut thing..there is something to that as well; however this year…not many chestnuts. LOL, I think it’s neat to know I am not the only person who bases the winter off caterpillars :-)

181 admin { 10.05.10 at 12:01 pm }

Hi Jim,

Sounds like you saw our winter forecast for winter 2010, which we released in August of 2009. This upcoming winter is what we’re referring to as “winter 2011.” Sorry about the confusion.

182 Jim { 10.05.10 at 10:23 am }

Earlier this year, the Farmers’ Almanac predicted the southeastern US would have a ‘mild and wet’ winter for 2010-11. NOW they are predicting a ‘very cold and wet’ winter. What gives?

183 Snow Chaser { 10.04.10 at 7:19 pm }

Last year the farmers almanac DID NOT predict the snow fall like they are claiming for my area….. Lake Tahoe, CA. Come on people. NO BODY can predict the weather. They can only guesstimate……

184 austin { 10.04.10 at 5:12 pm }

i live in belton,mo will i get alot of snow and ice? (i hope we do!!)

185 jer { 10.04.10 at 3:34 pm }

baltmore md we are going to have a big snow falls 12/24/10

186 jer { 10.04.10 at 3:33 pm }

snow snow snow

187 david { 10.04.10 at 3:25 pm }

Live in central NJ (by Delaware River) and we have seen an incredibly large number of black spiders (as opposed to daddy long legs) by the pool and deck this fall, much more so than we’ve seen in the last few years. Haven’t seen any of the woolly caterpillars. Last year we saw a lot of them and local farmers here said that we’d have a very snowy winter — they were spot on.

My wife heard that farmers say that a lot of spiders mean cold cold winter. Any truth to that?

188 Lisa { 10.04.10 at 8:04 am }

We opened 12 persimmon seeds this weekend in Cuivre River State Park and found spoons in 10 of them!!

189 Bobby from Ohio { 10.03.10 at 7:56 pm }

Last feb we got 42 inches of snow for that month alone. We only got to 0 or below 0 a few times but the snow was flying all January and Febuary with the last snow right after St Patricks day. I hope the snow kicks off a little earlier this year for christmas. I have scene a white halloween once when I was 9 in Akron and I have scene lighting and thunder snow that same year in december right before over a foot dropped in a few hours. Let it snow let it snow let it snow.

190 Skeeter { 10.03.10 at 3:07 pm }

We true southerners like a little nip in the air, but don’t like the cold; except just to kill off the Mosquitos and help our plants chill to bless us with wonderful Azaleas in the Spring If y’all want snow and ice, go north and enjoy it UP there.

191 Chris { 10.03.10 at 1:22 pm }

Saw a wolly caterpiller this morning in central CT, ALL orange…not a single dot of black. “Cold slap in the face”…I’m going to place my bets with the caterpiller considering I loath winter weather.

192 Sherry { 10.03.10 at 9:46 am }

I saw 2 of the bigget and blackest wooly worms I have ever seen in my life last week!!! BIG spiders making large webs, spoons in the persimmons – not sure on the acorns and squirrels though. O’fallon MO

193 WinterBrze { 10.02.10 at 7:49 pm }

I am so excited! I absolutely love the snow and cold. Where I live in Illinois doesn’t usually get alot of Snow. But considering how today’s high was supposed to be 65 today but only made it to 59 and the low tonight is 36.. I am so hoping for a winter full of Snow and Cold! It was in the 90’s about a week ago and now its reaching the 30’s… i think we’re totally skipping autumn and heading straight for winter at this rate! Awesome!

194 Terri { 10.01.10 at 1:18 pm }

Oh boy! It says that Florida is to be very cold and wet. I just moved down here from Tennessee and one of the thing’s I hoped to escape was the bitter cold. Floridian’s will probably accuse me of bringing the cold weather down when I moved. LOL!

195 SPORTNWOODY { 10.01.10 at 4:38 am }

I live in upstate New York. Last year we only got about a foot of snow during December, the heavy snow was far south of Albany, NY. So I am hoping for 4 feet of snow this winter. I lived in a hot miserable hellhole called La Quinta Ca. for 28 years so now I love the cold and snow since I moved here 4 years ago. Snow and cold is great when you can layer on clothing and go snowmobiling and sip a hot coffee or glass of wine with a roaring fireplace while looking out a window during a blizzard. The heat sucks…..

196 Lloyd { 09.30.10 at 11:58 am }

I live in the Augusta, GA. area and here last winter was the coldest on record and last summer was the 2nd hottest on record since 1900 with heat a index about 100 dergrees about everyday, just plain miserable, so I’ll take the cold anytime! You can always put on more clothing but you can’t always take off enough clothing.

197 Kenny { 09.30.10 at 11:42 am }

I live in the U.P. so i can’t wait for the snow to get here so i can go snowmobiling, last year was extremely crappy for the sleds, but according to the forecast, its gunna be fun!!!

198 Roberto { 09.29.10 at 9:48 pm }

I’ve seen three white caterpillar’s this year with very thin middle bands……what’s it all mean?

199 Kathy { 09.29.10 at 9:48 pm }

I just wish it could snow in warmer weather….love the snow and if we have a lot of snow in West Virginia let me recommend a trip to Blackwater Falls and then on up to the top of Spruce Knob ( the highest point in WV) over 4600 feet. We were there a couple of years ago and it was very cold but it was like being at the North Pole or something. Beautiful!!! I have some awesome pictures. Its also very beautiful in the fall when our mountains are ablaze with color. Wild, Wonderful West Virginia.

200 froggysmyname { 09.29.10 at 4:34 pm }

hello all…I am in W. Pa. and just joined this site…I love reading all the forums…We have 3 large walnut trees on the property and they are already stripped, even the unripe nuts are gone! We had a severe winter last yr., beautiful to look at. When I had to go out to work, I dreaded the snow and ice, but now that I am retired, I am looking forward to those super large snowflakes outside my picture window, So refreshing.

201 Will { 09.29.10 at 2:29 pm }

@Weatherfan, I had a buddy of mine whos a farmer down in Fayetteville NC tell me that the cornhusks were very thick this year. Another sign of cold winter!

202 David Z { 09.29.10 at 9:37 am }

In solidarity with skiers & snowboarders everywhere, I say “Bring the snow!”

203 Jonathan { 09.28.10 at 9:55 pm }

It would be nice to have a lot of snow. Here in central Minnesota, we didn’t get much snow last season. I love lots of snow. As long as it stays above -20F, then that will be fine.

204 eric { 09.28.10 at 8:44 pm }

Just bought a new snowmobile; want snow this weekend! I live in CA but was born in GA (love heat) – the good thing about CA snow is that you drive to it, have fun without getting cold, then drive home, leaving the snow behind. Please send all your acorns and corn husks without delay.

205 Steve { 09.28.10 at 5:43 pm }

If you’re too cold you aint workin’ hard enough! -from Steve

206 Shannon { 09.28.10 at 2:59 pm }

I live in upstate ny and it gets entirely too cold here. we cant go outside during the day as it will stop your breathing, wind burn and just entirely too cold. my son is a heart patient and hes not allowed to play out in the bitter cold. id love to move south to the warmer stuff but cant afford it. prob could if my heating bills in the winter werent $400 to $500 a month and thats with keeping unneccesary lights off and whatnot. I hate the cold. wouldnt have an issue with it if it was easier to live with. as it stands its like a bad rash or something. GO SOUTH COLD!!!!

207 Just-Love { 09.28.10 at 1:55 pm }

St. Louis to the Front Range……. driving through kansas always sucks. Hopefully there will be pow by thanksgiving!!!

208 dean { 09.28.10 at 11:59 am }

i still think we’re gonna have a mild winter again in the pasific northwest,
so does my neighbor.

209 dean { 09.28.10 at 11:53 am }

will, vary true as well, we alway’s try to prepare the best we can,
i ‘m hoping we get a alot of the white stuff as we hardly got anything in the pasific northwest, i say a good winter is 6 feet of snow and -50 below zero!!
that would really kill off alot of bugs, i’ve noteced alot of mosquitos even in town
here, hope everyone has a great day

210 Avery { 09.28.10 at 11:23 am }

I live in North East Texas, and last winter we had about 10 snow falls. It was much colder than normal. We even had snow during spring. I just hope this winter will be at least as cold as last. I don’t like warm winters.

211 bdog1231 { 09.28.10 at 10:21 am }

I love the snow. I live on the central jersey coast and we usually get a mix of snow and rain but last year was all snow!! Hopefully it will be a similar winter this year!!! I think they are calling for snowstorms but not as frequent and as much as last year but still above average snowfall and fairly cold conditions.

212 Will { 09.27.10 at 10:30 pm }

@Dean very true my friend, however, no harm trying to use the natural signs He provides for us to try and prepare!

213 Will { 09.27.10 at 1:35 pm }

Really starting to believe winter could be harsh. Besides the natural signs, its as if someone flipped a switch between summer and fall here in NC. Saturday it was 98 degrees, today its struggling to reach 75!

214 dean { 09.27.10 at 1:31 pm }

I don’t care what they say the winters gonna be, they could all be wrong
thiers only one person that is right, and thats GOD! well just have to wait and see
what he has on tap!!

215 Andy { 09.27.10 at 11:03 am }

Ready here in Cleveland, OH. Weather here is hard to predict, especially lake effect snow from good ol Lake Erie. However, we have noticed abundant acorns too. The chipmunks and squirels have mouth fulls. Either way, we’re ready for old man winter.

216 Shamar Houston { 09.27.10 at 11:01 am }

I cant wait for it to snow here in lagrange ga. Im a snow freak and when october gets here im glued to the weather channel. Love the cold!!!!!!!!!!

217 Ben { 09.26.10 at 10:29 am }

We are stockpiling wood and preparing for a bitter winter here in RI. There have been increadable amounts of acorns in the yard and driveway, and the cars have been bombarded.

218 me { 09.25.10 at 11:09 pm }

can`t wait for snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

219 Peg { 09.24.10 at 7:51 pm }

Mass. here. I remember in 1977 my husband’s Mainer grandmother mentioned that we were going to get a snowy winter because the corn husks were thicker than she could ever remember. Sure enough, we got two record breaker blizzards in 1978, one we call the “Blizzard of ’78” because the highways were one big parking lot and shut down for 4 days and some people were trapped in their cars on them and had to be rescued.

This summer the corn husks are thicker than I EVER REMEMBER and we have acorns coming out our ears there’s so many – not a good sign. I’m already stockpiling my wood and rock salt planning for the worst, yet looking forward to it.

220 Samantha { 09.23.10 at 9:34 pm }

I live in North Carolina and while I enjoy the hot weather in the summer, I want more snow in fall/winter.(:

221 Stacy { 09.23.10 at 3:50 pm }

After a bad winter last year i want a mild winter like we did a few years ago with hardly any snow and 40-50 degree temperatures.

222 Shamar Houston { 09.23.10 at 10:22 am }

I stay in lagrange Ga. I love it when it snows it is so beautiful.I couldn’t get enough of it. I love the cold and snow and i wish it could snow every day here in the deep south. Last year we got way more snow than usual and i hope the same happens this year. Southerns cant get enough of snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

223 lcksky { 09.22.10 at 2:31 pm }

The more snow the better! I am in NJ and it never looked as beautiful as it did last winter! Nothing like shoveling to bring neighbors together!

224 Michael { 09.22.10 at 10:31 am }

I would like to see wormer weather in the PNW

225 blinkey { 09.22.10 at 10:04 am }

I live in southwest Va. and last year we had no power far as long as fourteen days because of snow. Never did like snow except for the Christmas holidays. I wished it would stay around sixty in the winter. Guess i would have to go farther south for that.

226 znetro { 09.22.10 at 8:33 am }

I want a lot of snow and I live in the mid Atlantic I want 10 feet

227 CAPCADETAWESOME { 09.21.10 at 11:17 am }

@GA5522 noticed that too

228 CAPCADETAWESOME { 09.21.10 at 11:10 am }

@Weatherfan ive noticed the same thing up here near fallston

229 Gail { 09.21.10 at 10:47 am }

I live in Northwest Tennessee, I for one didn’t enjoy the ice storm we got that took out our power for a week or more to some folks. I enjoy those mild winters, snow is ok as long as it comes and goes and doesn’t hang around for an extended visit. As long as it frost and kills out the ragweed my allergies will be very grateful.

230 Stephanie { 09.20.10 at 4:06 pm }

I live in Tennessee, and personally , im not happy with the winter months anymore. I want to see a blizzard like we had in 93. It was awesome, and im sure people will disagree with me, thats why we all have opinions, so i say let it snow as hard and long as it possibly can..Maybe one day i will get my wish. And im sure you will tell me,i f i want snow to move north. Sorry, I’m no Yankee, born and raised here, and forever will i stay. !Come on let it snow, let it snow…** :)

231 MsWinston { 09.20.10 at 10:24 am }

Bring it on! I live in Virginia where we are currently about 10 degrees above normal and no one on the Weather Channel or other sources is explaining why and when it will end. Autumn and winter are the best seasons here, with summer the worst. I am looking forward to cold weather and more snow than we had last year, as we are in a drought situation with water rationing imposed in many areas. Several heavy snows will help.

232 Terry { 09.19.10 at 2:19 am }

I live in the south (North Carolina), and I shouldn’t have to put up with hard winters and snow. Please keep that stuff up north, where it belongs. Thank you.

233 Weatherfan { 09.18.10 at 11:58 pm }

More signs of a hard winter showing up here in Gastonia NC. Almost all the birds here seem to have disappeared as if they have already migrated regardless of how warm its been. Squirrels have been in a hurry gathering a lot of nuts near my church, because there are hardly anything in the cracked shells. Spiders are becoming more of an issue, but not as much as the crickets.

234 Michelle { 09.15.10 at 5:08 pm }

Oh goodness. More rain in the Pac No-West. Just what we need! :( LOL!! Bring us some snow next year! :)
Can’t wait to buy my copy!

235 Scott { 09.14.10 at 11:06 pm }

LET IT SNOWWWWWWWWW! Love it, except when worried about family making it home. I prefer big snowfalls over 1-2″ snowfalls that dont delay schools but put my family out on the roads. dangerous and dont enjoy stressing over it.
BUT, I hope we get dumped on again. That was great. LOVE the snow, and even enjoy shoveling it! 40 yrs old and only wish there was more!

236 Betty Hopkins { 09.14.10 at 8:20 am }

I just wonder what the WHITE wolly worm means cause I have saw at least 6 solid white ones the past couple of weeks. I live in upper East Tennessee, and it seems to me that we have had hotter and drier summers the past few years, and not very much snow at all since the snow storm that we had back in 97 I think. We do not get a lot of snow around here. It got pretty darn cold here tho last winter. It seems to me that we go from winter straight to summer, and from summer straight to winter. We kind of get cheated on the spring, and fall seasons around here.

237 Jimmy H { 09.13.10 at 4:14 pm }

I would bet that all of you hoping for cold and snow are young people. I used to like snow and cold, but now that I’m middle age all I can think about snow is shoveling it.

238 Shanda { 09.12.10 at 11:52 am }

I got the Persimmon seed. It has a spoon in it for Bloomfield, Missouri. Lots of heavy, wet snow is forecasted.

239 bee { 09.12.10 at 11:33 am }

I think we ca all guess as much as we want and someone will be right as well as someone will be wrong, question is who is right? No one will know until AFTER it has happened. This is what I think, we may have a cold snowy winter and then again we may have a mild dry winter. That’s what I think. Let’s see who’s right. As long as it snows from Dec 21 until Jan 1 too me it don’t matter

240 GA5522 { 09.11.10 at 5:14 pm }

I live in Atlanta, GA and the leaves are already turning here.. Reading posts from Ohio and NC- it appears this is a regional trend. I’ve never seen leaves turn as early as first of August. Strange..

241 Austin { 09.11.10 at 4:33 pm }

Accuweather posted their forcast on Sept. 8. It looks to be the opposite, almost entirely, of the FA forcast. I’m hoping they are right, no offense FA, because last year was weak. The only snow we got seemed to invert quickly making areas that were typically not prone to avalanches slide rather easily. I’m ready for a good ID winter…deep snow, lots of drifts to play in, and cold!

242 Phiiilp Erquiaga { 09.11.10 at 4:12 pm }

Well I don’t have predictions but I do have “feelings”! The cool/cold here in Libby, Montana is about 1-1/2 months early. The squirrrels are 1 month early in stockpiling. The garden, which got a late start due to spring cold, won’t be producing much due to late summer/early fall cold! The black bear and grizzly bear are frequenting the neighborhood due to a lack of natural berrys resulting from a cooler summer and they’re trying to fatten up earlier this year for winter. And 2 Grizzly bears transplanted here (One last fall and one this last spiring.) have both migrated south for the winter! WOW!!!

This is starting to give me a “feeling” of a long harsh winter here in NW Montana!!!

243 Trinidy Lowell { 09.11.10 at 3:55 pm }

I have heard that we are expected to have a very wet and cold winter. Our summer was slow to get going but when it did it was HOT. The bees here are gone and the flies too. We are getting low temperatures at night and cool temperatures during the day. the mosquitos are even gone. I do hope we get alot of snow here in washington state……

244 Andy { 09.11.10 at 6:39 am }

I’ve seen more roaches and Scorpions in the house than in the last two years. They’re bigger and jucier. Regular insecticide treatments by both commercial and me are probably slowing insect invasion, but it’s still an increase from previous years.

245 j.stovall { 09.09.10 at 4:21 pm }

I’m in central Texas & I’m looking forward to acolder &wetter than normal winter ! I just hope it happens.

246 Mary { 09.09.10 at 3:19 pm }

This must be a new breed of wooly bear. Still white, a tinge of brown on the tips of his hair. Climbing my front door on the porch, Sth East wind. Might explain Painted Bunting pair birds, 1st ever here, along with 5th time of trying planting Corn & greenbeans which are doing great. Everything else fried between heat/Sun & Flooding/intermittent rain.

247 Scram { 09.09.10 at 9:51 am }

I really hope the Southeast gets some snow this Year., I really enjoy the cold weather during the winter months. come one “Georgia “Lets get it in”

248 Linda Herting { 09.09.10 at 8:15 am }

I live in the beautiful Silver Valley, Silverton, Idaho. Would love to see some snow this year and not just cold weather! Our house is poorly insulated and no heating unit. The snow will insulate us a little.

249 j { 09.09.10 at 2:02 am }

live in tampabay. last year it was extremely cold but extremely hot this summer. noticed one of my oaks dropping leaves and lots of acorns forming. lots of wasps, spiders and roaches this year. it’s been a very strange year. don’t know how the corexit/oil/loop current is effecting nature, but allergies are off the chart for me and my dog.

250 Julie { 09.08.10 at 4:08 pm }

I love a good snow storm, but 3 blizzards in 1 yr like last yr, way too much. One good snow storm and normal cold weather for me.

251 Ben { 09.08.10 at 11:58 am }

Since I won’t be in Colorado for the winter, it had better be cold and snowy in Vermont. I heard warm and dry from one source and now cold and average precip from you guys. Hope you guys are right.

252 Shawn { 09.08.10 at 11:55 am }

Here in the California Mountains the bears are getting real fat, which usually means long and cold winter. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

253 marsay { 09.08.10 at 11:52 am }

I’m not sure what it means but the squirrels have been relentless in pulling the acorns off the trees for about 3 weeks. I live 30 miles west of Chicago and I would love a snowy winter this year. I only got to use the snowblower a couple of times last year.

Is anyone on here around Chicago and have you seen any signs from the animals that it will be a cold & snowy winter?

254 ken { 09.08.10 at 6:12 am }

its how many woolys a squirrel can eat before he looks like he swallowed a giant acorn or chestnut and gets a thin black stripe across his belly if its more than five were in for record snowfall and frigid tempatures or was it how many juniper berries are on the trees which makes me wonder how many berries it takes to make enough gin to get through a really harsh winter?

255 Joe { 09.07.10 at 8:12 pm }

The squirrels get it right every year. If they build nest high up in the trees and out-half way- onthe branches,,,mild winter. If they build low on the tree-bottom 2/3- and close to the trunk,,,bad winter. Acorn yields tell you in advance of the squirrels. Heavy yields, bad winter. I’m seeing a very heavy yield of acorns here in Very W. central Indiana.

256 Weatherfan { 09.07.10 at 8:10 pm }

@Will: Yep. That’s one of the signs of a harsh winter. Also, it seems like the east could have a cold winter two ways. One involves the amount of snowcover in Eurasia/Siberia. It apparently correlates to a cold winter for the east if there’s enough accumulation. Also, I’ve heard that if the La Nina gets too strong, something supposingly snaps, which can also cause the east to become colder. Maybe that’s how the FA’s came up with that forecast for that area???

257 Will { 09.07.10 at 2:29 pm }

Recently saw a MASSIVE spider web outside my front door with a huge spider on it. I have never seen anything like that all spring or summer. I live in Raleigh NC, is this a sign of harsh winter?

258 Farmer Ed { 09.06.10 at 7:51 pm }

Usually burn 8–9 cords of wood per winter here in PNW, But put up 12 this year

259 mtmomma2007 { 09.06.10 at 12:03 am }

PLEASE, tell me that montana is goin to actully get more snow this yr! I want lots of snow please, mr. weatherman! Any one live in mt, that has heard any other weather predictions? Im talkin snow like 4 feet!

260 Brent { 09.05.10 at 10:14 pm }

A lot of different forecasts this year, will be interesting to see what pans out and who is right…

261 suzie q. { 09.05.10 at 1:20 pm }

i hope we get alot of snow to go with the below average temps their predicting for this winter i know the signs are here to back it up hornets nest down very low persimmons had spoons and knives and even the wholly worms have more black than brown so heres to wishing for big snows in mccreary county ky. and a very big snow for christmas

262 PNW COLD and SNOWY { 09.05.10 at 11:52 am }

Michael and Bill… I hear you both! I think that the prediction here will not be accurate for the PNW.

263 DominiqueEvangelisto { 09.05.10 at 11:35 am }

I live in New England and I love the winter and lots of snow. Bring it on!

264 Michael { 09.04.10 at 5:07 pm }

Come On!!!! I live in Colorado and need lots of snow to ski a long time. Don’t tell me it’s going to be mild!!!!

265 Bill Gannon { 09.04.10 at 10:28 am }

Mild and wet for the northwest? Can’t be, this summer has been cooler than normal around these parts. Some of the trees in early August, started to have the leaves start changing color. Oh wait, there is this ocean to the west of us that moderates the temps here. La Nina is coming and this winter here in the northwest will be cool and wet— as in snow on the valley floor, snow on the beaches and heavy, heavy snow in the mountains—- but again weather–everybody yaks about it, but man can not control it—– enjoy it as it’s the only weather we have

266 meg { 09.04.10 at 2:48 am }

I’ve heard we’re supposed to get hammered here in the northwest with ice, snow, cold temps. Do know the squirrels are stripping the trees of leaves in the back yard and stuffing ‘em in their nests – never seen that before. The maple in the back turned autumn colors July 1, instead of mid October. Something’s up.

267 sherry { 09.03.10 at 10:25 pm }

I live in Cochrane,Ontario was wondering how your winter is going to be this year.

268 Mary { 09.03.10 at 2:36 pm }

3 weeks ago we saw 1 all white wooly bear caterpillar. This week 2 more 1, garden and 1 front porch. Our first ever. NO bands or black hairs. Persimmons in Garnett,KS not yet formed.

269 Denise { 09.03.10 at 7:29 am }

We live in Central Ohio and had a mild winter last year. Especially in comparison to MD’s Eastern Shore where I grew up! That was one year I was actually thankful to be in OH!lol So far, our leaves our starting to turn and fall…not looking forward to it, but my Amish buddies say the snow will fly in 8 wks or less. =(((

270 Meep { 09.03.10 at 3:16 am }

I just came here because I read that the loop current has stopped or is slowing due to the BP spill and wondered if that is taken into account. If the loop current has stalled, as they say, I think we can expect a very abnormally cold winter this year and Europe would probably get hit the hardest. I hope I have bad info and I am wrong though. Anybody else have thoughts on this subject?

271 JacobMN { 09.02.10 at 3:49 pm }

I live near Minneapolis, Minnesota and I am looking forward to very cold and snowy conditions but I was not excited to hear that it would come from clippers. Every time we get a clipper system we only get 3-4 inches of snow and its gone and that happens every other day. I was looking forward to storms that would bring 12-30 inches of snow in at a time. Anyways I’m really hoping these predictions are true about a lot of snow. Minnesota needs a good ole fashion northern plains winter! :)

272 Vicki { 09.02.10 at 3:08 pm }

I live in the Northwest and will be disappointed if we are mild and just wet! To me winter is not winter without snow. Every season has a purpose and winter is for snow sledding/snowman building, skiing, hotcocoa, fireplaces, and so on…COM’ON OLD MAN WINTER..Roll in like a Lion!

273 WheelinOn { 09.02.10 at 2:42 pm }

Another cold winter, dry and brown as it was in the South Plains and I’m moving . . . for 2 years now, it wasn’t wise to even begin spring planting (tomatoes for example) until at least May 1st. In some ways, MI had milder weather than we did.

274 Kathy OConnor { 09.02.10 at 7:14 am }

I also live in the northeast, spider webs are tucked in waiting for a cold winter…

275 Grandin { 09.02.10 at 4:51 am }

My area looks promisen!

276 Weatherfan { 09.02.10 at 2:13 am }

I’ve seen plenty of natural signs of a hard winter here (Live in Gastonia, NC as well). A few squirrels with bushy tails, hardly any bees buzzing about, and any that are were trying to drill homes above ground. There has been some weeds that were 3 feet tall and a few plants with flowers still trying to bloom. During the first week of Aug. except the 1st, it was awfully hot. Finally, the corn husks have been thick and the skin of apples are rather tough to bite into. I could go on, but that’s what I’ve seen around here. :)

277 Cindy { 09.02.10 at 1:00 am }

I hope they are wrong about north Texas being mild. I love the cold weather. Last winter we actually had a nice cold winter. I hate it when it is mid 70’s in December!

278 Diane { 09.01.10 at 10:09 pm }

The colder the better…just wish we would get more snow in west Tennessee. Come on Ol’ Man Winter!!

279 Trip H { 09.01.10 at 5:08 pm }

I live in NC, small town called Gastonia and last winter was the worst for the South. I have noticed that the monkey grass has tons of the long blue flowered blooms on them, which means abundant berries. The acorn trees are slam full and the holly bushes seem to have lots of berries on them. I hope it’s a normal winter this time cause when you are not use to the 12 degree nights and 24 degree days it makes it real real rough.

280 Southern Maryland { 09.01.10 at 4:52 pm }

I am in Southern Maryland and do not look forward to having much snow this year. We have a farm of many goats, chickens, and rabbits, and even a few sheep, cows, and pigs. I was sick of the 2 1/2 feet we got in the Blizzard of 2010. Itll be fine if we get like about 6 inches but thats enough. Does anyone around my area have any clues to what its gonna be like this 2010-2011 winter???

281 catsdabest { 09.01.10 at 4:08 pm }

I live in Kentucky and I have saw several signs of a bad winter .

282 The Rickster { 09.01.10 at 2:57 pm }

I live in South Carolina. We’ve had alot of fogs in August, the ants seem to be marching in a line. We’ve had reduced bee and wasp activity, although the skeeters are still out for blood. Its been HOT this summer. Its said that If the first week of August is unusually hot, then the winter will be rough. Our average for the first week was above the usual August average, so yay! The persimmon seeds I opened a few days ago had roughly 20.spoons, 8 knives and 8 forks. BRING ON RHE WINTER! Oh and the trees are beginning to change colors and lose their leaves already.

283 Yoya { 09.01.10 at 1:49 pm }

I live just outside of Seattle. Normally by this time we see the wooly worms, I have not seen even one! Maybe we will have a milder winter. We can always drive over the pass if we want to play in the snow. I just wish it wasn’t so wet, that bugs my bones.hehehe!

284 Bob Jones { 09.01.10 at 12:48 pm }

I live in west Tennessee and I would like to see it snow about 2 inches.
Above the clothes line.

285 Lisa { 09.01.10 at 11:59 am }

Bring it on! I live in New England and love the cold weather. Especially if I get a chance to get the old wood stove going.

286 Sad 4 PacifcNorthWest { 09.01.10 at 11:06 am }

I agree with TIM when he said: “When places like Southwest gets more snow and colder than the Northwest then something is definitely wrong; can’t figure that out, considering how much farther north we are.” What is going on here???

287 sarah { 09.01.10 at 10:35 am }

I’ve always heard for every fog in August there will be a snow my part of Missouri I drove in more fog of a morning than clear. If this holds true we will have a lot of snows

288 Elkay 310 { 09.01.10 at 9:48 am }

I live in Central Florida, the “sunny south.” Last winter was horrible…glad I kept some of my winter clothes when we moved here from Buffalo. Looks like this coming winter isn’t going to be much better – “very cold and wet” – not good news for the snowbirds…or the residents, either. But, we don’t have to shovel “wet.”

289 GARY { 09.01.10 at 9:37 am }

whats gthe rainfall/temp prediction for THE CENTRAL COAST OF CALIFORNIA??? always hearing about east coast,midwest etc but rarelt mention central coast of California.I know there is alot of crazy weather in the above mentioned places but just want to know bout central Cali more(PLEASE)

290 Jean { 09.01.10 at 9:32 am }

I am not seeing the signs of a hard winter this year like I did last year. I live in North Central Missouri. The signs just are not there, I hope that I am right and you are wrong. Last year the Hickory nuts were falling of the trees on July 4th. and the squirrels were really socking it away. This year the nuts are just starting to fall as the leaves on these trees are falling.

291 Joyce { 09.01.10 at 9:31 am }

I am in the Denver area and have had squirrels and birds raiding my garden and fruit trees for most of the summer, so wonder if this means that they are storing up food for a colder winter than normal. The forecast here says we are going to have a milder winter though.

292 Tina { 09.01.10 at 9:19 am }

We are east of Colorado Springs in the plains and missed almost all of the snow last year! Very mild last year! Any snow just dropped north and south of us! Want more snow this year!!!! When it’s that cold, let’s at least get some pretty stuff too!!!

293 Dan { 09.01.10 at 8:01 am }

Just how snowy are we talkin’? foot deep snow storms everyday or dustings here and there.
I don’t mind driving in it, I just drive with the conditions its all the other drivers out there who feel that because they have a big vehicle or four wheel drive they can go as fast as if the roads were clear!!!
If you are one of those drivers take the hint drive sanely and respect others on the road!

294 Jimmy { 09.01.10 at 12:08 am }

Looks like earthquake weather…LOL

295 Jackie Ulmer { 08.31.10 at 10:17 pm }

Yes, happy to be in California and looking forward to MILDER this year. We’ve had two rough snow seasons and are ready for less!

296 Hays, Kansas { 08.31.10 at 4:26 pm }

I sure hope that the above average snow and below average temps move to the south a little more-I hope to see tons and tons and tons of snow in the Hays, Kansas area. Hopefully we will get a few snows with more than 6″. PLEASE!!!!

297 George { 08.31.10 at 3:18 pm }

It’s been 4 months since Las Vegas seen even a drop of rain ( Lake Mead is getting lower & lower each year ) I wonder Las Vegas is ever going to see any significant rainfall ( August is Monsoon weather month & not even a drop of rain fell )

298 Anthony { 08.31.10 at 2:27 pm }

I live in Harford county, Maryland – in Abingdon, to be exact. And I’m curious Will my area and maryland get a good amount of snow this year?

299 emily gill { 08.31.10 at 1:17 pm }

I just want to know what is in store for Little Rock, Arkansas.?? will it even snow? ice ?? anything???

300 sancrr3 { 08.31.10 at 1:03 pm }

i dont care, I’m buying 2 tons of pellets for my pellet stove for winter. Last year, it got down -37 degrees . Coldest weather they have had in years actuactly in the whole state. Ya COLD!!!!!

301 Marc { 08.31.10 at 11:52 am }

We had to cancel Ice Fishing Tournaments up here in Maine last year it was so mild. We got less than 3 feet of snow for the whole winter. Bring on the cold!

302 HAICHOO CHENG { 08.31.10 at 11:41 am }

I HOPE THERE IS A BIG BLIZZARD THIS FALL/WINTER OF 2010-11 IN THE NYC:)
I LOVE SNOW!!!

303 Wilson { 08.31.10 at 8:28 am }

I’m moving to Hawaii. I don’t want cold and snow anymore.

304 Tim { 08.31.10 at 2:37 am }

305 Squiggles { 08.30.10 at 10:05 pm }

I’m surprised to see a mild wet winter for the Pacific Northwest. Just a few eeks ago some weather guru predicted we’d actually get some snow because of a La Nina system in the Pacific Ocean. Hmm..maybe it won’t be that cold, just snowy.

306 Rosie { 08.30.10 at 3:47 pm }

We live on a farm, in Iowa, and we have heard this before, but it doesn’t hold true, last winter in the midwest it was awful, huge ice snows and large amounts of snow yet the caterpillars had more brown than black on them, other years quite the opposite, much more black, and not near as cold or snowy as this past one was. It’s a cute folk lore, but not very dependable.

307 Flagstaff Arizonan { 08.30.10 at 2:34 pm }

I’m THRILLED to hear that we may not get bombarded with 4 ft of snow like we did this past year. We had roofs collapsing everywhere in our city! Arizona Snowbowl may not like it, but this gal is looking VERY forward to a mild winter.

308 Isabella { 08.30.10 at 2:17 pm }

I want to move to the Southern California coast, where the weather is mild year round. I hate cold, & I don’t like it too hot either. That’s the perfect climate for me.

309 Justin { 08.30.10 at 2:13 pm }

When you say “Very Cold and Average Winter Precipitation” for the Mid-Atlantic I tend to worry because I’m sure last seasons 4 feet of snow have upped our average quite a bit.

310 Michelle { 08.30.10 at 1:56 pm }

I live in southeast Massachusetts. What do you mean by “cold slap in the face” for New England? On average, our winter days are in the 30s. That’s why when we get snow, it usually melts fast. Is this going to be one of those winters when the snow gets hard as ice & sticks around most of the winter? The lakes & ponds freeze over? High heating bills too? I can’t wait for next summer now. Thanks a lot.

311 Alicia { 08.30.10 at 1:02 pm }

“Cold and Very Snowy” for the Midwest and Great Lakes Region… sounds like every winter here for us!

312 Harmon { 08.30.10 at 12:10 pm }

Chestnuts! Its the chestnuts! If a tree drops a lot of chestnuts, it’s going to be a rough cold winter. There’s a lot of chestnuts in my yard. I live in NY.

313 Sandi Duncan { 08.30.10 at 10:57 am }

With the caterpillar – it is the size of the orange band versus the brown or black. According to folklore— you need to look at the black hairs at each end of this tiny creature. Legend has it that the more black hairs a wooly bear has, the worse off the winter. If the caterpillar has more orange, then the winter will mild.

314 betsy { 08.30.10 at 10:26 am }

It is the band in the center of the caterpillar, the wider the band the milder the winter the thinner the band the harsher the winter.

315 Tracer { 08.30.10 at 7:04 am }

The Wooly caterpellar! I have seen a few of them and they are all very dark in color Please advise on the folk loar