Register | Log in

« | »

Can’t Take the Heat? Think About Winter!

Can’t Take the Heat? Think About Winter!

The brand new 2011 Farmers’ Almanac will begin hitting shelves in just a few weeks and, judging by your comments and questions, many of you are anxious to read our predictions for the coming winter. After all, our incredibly accurate long-range forecasts (judged to be 85% accurate by readers who have tracked it) have helped savvy weather watchers plan for winter for nearly 200 years.

So, what does the coming winter have in store? We can’t tell. Not yet, at least. The 2011 winter forecast will have to remain a secret for just a little while longer.

In the meantime, why not head outside and try to figure out for yourself whether or not your area will have a tough winter in the coming year? Weather folklore is a constant topic of interest around here, and there are literally dozens, maybe even hundreds, of bits of lore out there about warning signs of a harsh winter. We’ve shared most of these before, but here are just a few things you can look at to judge whether or not that a long, cold winter is on the way:

Plants: Are the cornhusks thicker than normal? Is there an unusual abundance of acorns, or are they earlier than usual? Cut open a persimmon seed. What do you see? A knife shape means a cold, icy winter, with wind that cuts like a knife, is on the way. A fork shape indicates a mild winter. A spoon shape represents a shovel for all of the snow you’ll be getting.

Farm Animals: Inspect the hair on the nape of the cow’s neck. Is it thicker than usual? Are the pigs gathering sticks?

Wild Animals: Do the raccoons have extra-thick tails with bright bands? Are the mice more insistent about sneaking into your home? Are the squirrels gathering nuts earlier than usual? Look to see how high the muskrats’ holes are on the riverbank. The higher the burrow, the higher the snow will be.

Birds: Are woodpeckers sharing trees? Has the snowy owl arrived early in your area? Are geese and ducks flying south earlier than normal?

Insects: Have the Monarch butterflies migrated early? Are ants marching in a line, rather than meandering? Have the bees secluded themselves in their hives earlier than normal? How high is the hornet’s nest? According to lore “‘twill tell how high the snow will rest.” Find a woolly bear caterpillar. Is it especially fat and fuzzy? Is the orange band in the middle particularly narrow? Are the crickets coming inside? Are spiders spinning larger than usual webs or entering your house in greater numbers?

Other Signs: Heavy and numerous fogs during the month of August are said to presage a hard winter. Likewise, frequent halos or rings around the Sun or Moon.

Let us know below if you’ve noticed any of these signs of a hard winter, and keep a lookout for the 2011 Farmers’ Almanac, too.

70 Responses

1. Live outside of Buffalo N.y and noticed for about one week now that suddenly when my Himilayan cats fur was very thin or thinner, its coming in thick very fast ! This usually does not happan until Fall. Maybe a early fall for 2012?

by Sandra Daeschler on Jul 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm

2. Can anyone tell me why so many geese are heading south right now? I have lived in Oregon my entire life and I have never seen this before?

by sue on Apr 12, 2011 at 9:32 pm

3. I have noticed the squirrels are hiding their nuts in weird places. They have put them on my window sills in the corners and on my roof behind the chimney. My Mom says the have been doing it at her house too. We live in northern Illinois. The wooly worms have a thin orange stripe. Makes me wonder!!!

by Kris on Oct 21, 2010 at 10:59 am

4. There has been lots of crickets coming into my house, and have been seeing large spider webs form on the corners of certain areas outside. I saw a few squirrels with rather bushy tails running around gathering. I have rarely seen any butterflies, and the only ones that I did spot was a yellow one and brown one, but no monarchs at all. Weeds have grown ridiculously tall (3-4 ft) in some areas, and bees have been absent for a while, but were building nests above ground the last time I saw them. First week of August, except the first, was very hot as well. All signs are pointing toward a hard winter for my area! :)
    - Gastonia, NC

by Weatherfan on Sep 6, 2010 at 12:28 am

5. I really enjoy this topic, I even look for it every year. So far this year in south east TN. I have seen more spiders than usual, we have had 19 fogs here, thus far, and the squirrels are very busy and hiding walnuts in odd places. I have to wait until later to find wooly worms, the dreaded color is “all black”. All black means long, cold, winter. The wooly worms are different by county and state so it’s nice you say west N.C. that’s a clue of your county and he said “all black”, so I am neighbor to west N. C. It should be interesting to what I find. If I can I will send another post. Thanks for your views, I read them all!

by Sharon on Aug 23, 2010 at 1:16 am

6. Well, I have been checking my fall clothing for size, putting away the planters and just darn it, it’s been just too dry and hot and can’t wait till the cool weather gets here! Is that a sign? lol

by liz on Aug 22, 2010 at 8:30 pm

7. I have not seen the woolly worms yet. I am in Kentucky, Northern section, and we have already had numerous fogs, record breaking humidity, squirrels are working overtime here as well. I do not have any animals to check the fur on however. I feel like we will get a BIG bunch of snow this Winter. I look forward to it.

by Miss Maggie on Aug 22, 2010 at 1:50 pm

8. Hickory Nuts are breaking limbs, they are so heavy. Hummingbirds cannot get enough to eat,filling feeders everyday, It seems we will be right on the line living in NW Arkansas, close to MO.????????? Butterflys everywhere, spiders are in abundance,but NO FOGS yet

by Barara on Aug 22, 2010 at 9:45 am

9. I live in Cleveland Ohio and i have been noticing a lot of halos around the moon and sun of lately. When i drive the roads at night i do run into a lot of ground fog around the area. The other sign i see that could be a sign of a snowy at the very least winter is that Lake Erie is over 75 degress in most areas and the last time i saw that was in 2002 or something like that and when that happen most places around Cleveland got 100 plus inches of snow….

To me it looks like it could be a long winter for most people in the NE Ohio.. Note to all of you i was a trained weather observer/Tech in the US Navy…

by Mike Manton on Aug 21, 2010 at 8:42 am

10. Well, my siberian husky blows her coat 2x a year at the change of the seasons. She started to do that about a week and a half ago. And we have had lots of leaves falling off the trees. Even saw a leaf on the road that had turned color already. We live in Allegan, MI. We have had many foggy days in August so far also.

by Dawn V. on Aug 19, 2010 at 3:26 pm

11. I live in Central Indiana and have not noticed the squirrels gathering nuts nor extreme amounts of acorns. I have seen a couple of woolly worms and they were a light brown color all the way across. Have not seen many crickets, not even in the garage. No more spiders then usual. But we are predicted to be in the battle zone and obviously if everyone south of us has all the factors the signs of a cold and snowy winter then that is what we will get. None of the signs are present here and the shucks on the corn are easy to pull off.

by crackers on Aug 19, 2010 at 10:40 am

12. Well, I do not know what to make of anything. My husband is usually pretty good at prediction the weather here in N.E Arkansas. From what I see from the prediction indicators, the ants are walking in straight lines and carrying their eggs, I guess. They are carrying something. I have thrown more cricket out in the past two months than I have in a very long time. I usually dont get crickets in my house..The spider webs have not been particurlarly big. Just alot of them, everywhere. Some trees are starting to turn already. Ihave a plum in the front yard that is turning.The heat has been just oppressive this summer. I dont think I have ever seen a wooly catapillar. We had the big ice storm in 2009 and two pretty big snow events this year in Jan and Feb And it was extremely cold for a long time this past winter. Then summer came on and we have very little blooming in the spring because it was just too hot. So, anyone got a guess for me?

by Lesile on Aug 18, 2010 at 9:27 am

13. I’ve noticed a lot of fog almost every morning in Aug. Have to start getting wood.

by trudy on Aug 18, 2010 at 9:25 am

14. I live in west central Indiana. Hornets are build ing their round paper-like nest in bushes 4 feet off the ground. That’s a good sign, means not much snow. Around here,, If the squirrels build their nest high in the trees and out on the branches,, it’s a mild winter coming. If they build them low in the tree and close to the trunk—Bad winter. Been to darn hot for them to start building them yet around here.

by Joe on Aug 17, 2010 at 9:11 pm

15. I live in the NorthWest and there is crickets everywhere! We normally don’t have any to speak of, and the spiders are everywhere. Also the bee’s are staying very close to there hives unlike usually around here. My cat is starting to get some very thick fur, thicker than I have ever seen on him before (I’ve had him for 4yrs). So I really hope winter is going to be cold and VERY snowy this year, I’m waiting.

by Brad on Aug 17, 2010 at 5:19 pm

16. i live in seattle washington i have seen big spider webs and just a week ago i was camping a mouse ran under are tent i killed by punching it when i saw it had thick fur coat

by zach on Aug 16, 2010 at 6:18 pm

17. I live in central AL. and have noticed more spiders in my home (not webs so much) and the squirrels also seem to be busy. No acorns yet, but the ants are in a strait line. The heat here has been oppressive bring on the the cold temps!

by Gail on Aug 16, 2010 at 9:59 am

18. I did see a wooly bear caterpillar the other day and he had a very thin orange stripe. My horses are already starting to grow their winter coats – I just noticed some fuzz coming in on their necks yesterday, it’s light but it’s really early. The spiders here (I live in the Pacific NW) that usually come out in mid-August/September started coming out in July. The squirrels definitely seem very busy already! Also, the Canadian geese are coming through the area now. If only we knew what they all seem to know!

by MB on Aug 12, 2010 at 4:15 pm

19. Hmmmm…I haven’t noticed any of these signs. I am in MI…and the geese are still hanging around and are plentiful. My goats still have their summer cool coats….I’ll know what to expect when they start to grow their winter undercoats…the earlier they do, the sooner winter arrives….the thicker their coats…the colder it will be……they have always been spot on as far as predicting winter weather…in fact they are better at it then Farmers Almanac (sorry FA, but they haven’t been wrong in all the years I’ve had them….that is 100% accuracy) :)

by Sharon on Aug 11, 2010 at 10:43 am

20. It is going to be a hard, cold winter with alot of moisture people…so those of you that burn wood in the winter…get extra. The geese/ducks have been flying South since the middle of July….all outside animals have started to thicken their fur…Squirrels are gathering nut galore…and bees/wasps/hornets are making their hives in the ground as well. Keep plenty of extra fuel on hand and emergency supplies…it’s going to be a hard one!!!

by Debbie on Aug 8, 2010 at 10:05 pm

21. the birds i.e. ducks, geese seem to be leaving south florida due to the heat

by c on Aug 7, 2010 at 11:50 pm

22. Of the “signs” mentioned above, what I have noticed most is the CRICKETS everywhere. We don’t typically have many crickets here in N. Kentucky.

by fentress on Aug 7, 2010 at 6:23 pm

23. Oh no ! It has been sooooo foggy in southern CA in July and now everyday in August so far. The week ahead looks like no change. Personally, I like it far better than the usual high heat, but if it means a tough winter, well, cold is okay just no El Nino please. The 60 days of heavy rains in ’96 caused collapsed roofs . hills sliding down hills, hills themselves sliding onto roads……….Please, mother nature, no more rain storms.

by martha on Aug 6, 2010 at 12:47 pm

24. Oh and if I’m inside, in the air conditioning, I want to turn it off, because it feels like it should be “fall”…. it’s rather gloomy and looks cold/cool, but then I walk outside and it’s in the high 80′s or 90′s. The fall smells are in the air too

by Marsha on Aug 6, 2010 at 10:27 am

25. I live in western PA… In July we had a lot of fog and an extreme amount of heat (as most of the US has). I think we are in for more blizzards, much earlier than last… a hard winter

by Marsha on Aug 6, 2010 at 10:22 am

26. Today is only the 6th of Augest, and in a half hours time I counted over a dozen flocks of geese flying south. I am in Michigan, near Lansing.

by Linda Castle on Aug 6, 2010 at 9:22 am

27. South central MI, been foggy the last few days, Hoping not to have a hard winter with tons of snow this year, considering I plowed my driveway 3 times in 24 hours and it’s not small…

by Erica on Aug 6, 2010 at 12:06 am

28. I live in Northwest Pa. and have noticed alot of spiders and huge webs alot coming in the house and the ground hogs very fat the leaves are also starting to change and getting alot of fog havent seen any ants yet

by Denise on Aug 5, 2010 at 5:01 pm

29. I live in Eastport, Maine and this has been the hottest summer I can ever remember. The hornets have built their nests in the ground this year. The have gone underneath the tree trunks in my extended lawn. Cannot weedwhack around the trees. To many nests.

by Jim Raye on Aug 5, 2010 at 2:30 pm

30. In RI the acorns have been falling for a while now, there are tons of them this year. And the squirrels are already building huge nests in the trees. As for the geese, they still walk up the street every morning! Very few bees in this area.

by Me on Aug 5, 2010 at 12:00 pm

31. I live in Yacolt, WA. Several mornings we have had heavy fog in the morning. Lived here for sometime now and have never seen it foggy in August. Normaly we get fog in late Sept or early Oct.

by Steve White on Aug 5, 2010 at 10:20 am

32. I live in Central PA and have noticed the crab apples dropping, some leaves turning and the crows calling and making is sure sound like fall! I’ve seen the geese flying south and ants in a line. Also the spiders are moving in and making their webs larger. I’ve been collecting flower seeds for next year’s gardens along with some dried wild flowers for fall decorating. Even though it’s 90 outside, it sure acts like fall.

by LovetheSeasons on Aug 5, 2010 at 8:04 am

33. I live in the S.W. of Washington State. We have some foggy mornings some times the fog hides the hills around us. This the 2,3, 4th of Aug. only one catatapilar with wide orange band. Early mornings very chilly,had to turn on the furnace a few times. Late evening very cool. The cat is getting thicker hair now.

by Eleaor Ruddiman on Aug 4, 2010 at 11:19 pm

34. I am in Central Texas, we go inside at night and have spider webs built on the vehicles by the time we leave in the morning! In the back acreage there are huge spider webs going from tree to tree, which is very unusual for around here! And, spiders are in the house this year like crazy! Crickets are everywhere inside and out and ants are on the move a lot more than usual.

by Shannon on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:11 pm

35. My great-grandfather passed down something my Dad always told me. When you see your first Katydid in the summer, you will see your first frost 90 days from then. I have kept track of this for the last 30+ years and it is surprisingly accurate. This year, I am predicting Oct.4 here in Palmyra, Tennessee.

by boB on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:02 pm

36. I have notice the ants in straight lines moving eggs lots of them. Everything here in Central IL is a month ahead of it self. Spider webs inside and out. The squrriels have eaten all my apples this year and has started eating my red tomatoes. The acorns i have noticed is all caps and nothing more. The trees are starting to turn the crab apples are falling already. Haven’t checked the persimmons yet and I haven’t seen the wooly worms yet.

by starleneo on Aug 4, 2010 at 7:14 pm

37. We live in the north Ga. mountains and I have notice the spider webs this summer are huge and had a problem with spider webs on my truck and in it.

by Jerri on Aug 4, 2010 at 4:39 pm

38. Now I’m going to bump into something walking with my head down looking for ants. How amazing! I’ve never heard of that one. I too live in Richmond, VA and I have noticed the leaves slowly changing. It’s kind of weird because although it’s almost 100 degrees outside; I still feel Autumn in the air! Thanks for the article. I’m one of those who enjoy reading about how wonderful nature is to give us signs. God is good. Afterall; we didn’t always have Meterologists! :)

by snowlover on Aug 4, 2010 at 2:26 pm

39. I live in scott cou ty Va. Spider webs everywhere. What we call jar flies seems like they are early this year. Ants everywhere, they are just wandering around. Walk out in the morning and spider webs hit you in the face. I beleive we will Have a warmer weather this year. Last winter we had power outages everywhere, some lasted as long as two weeks as well as in West Va.

by blinkey on Aug 4, 2010 at 2:00 pm

40. There are many variations of the Persimmon seed theory as to which means what. I suppose it is where you live and traditions passed down.

by DOG on Aug 4, 2010 at 1:20 pm

41. I live in Northern California, I haven’t noticed the ants so much but the spider situation is out of control. The webs and the amounts of spiders this summer are huge. I’ve also noticed a large amount that I’ve never seen before. Very trippy. I even had a web in my car that freaked me out.

by Cheryl on Aug 4, 2010 at 11:47 am

42. Here in Mt. Pine, Ark. we have noticed squirrels gathering bird seed, and several wooley caterpillars, plus lots of spider webs around the windows, and more crickets than usual everywhere. Plus our goats aren’t losing their hair like last year. Seems thicker than normal.

by Nancy on Aug 4, 2010 at 11:24 am

43. We do not have any acorns producing here in Ky, the ants have been meandering, the geese are still on the lake. The spiders have not started coming in, yet are still in the windows. I have only seen 1 wooly worm and it was solid white, kinda weird and haven’t seen any mice yet but with the dogs and cats probably won’t, thank goodness. I am ready for cooler weather but not ready to see summer end.

by Beverly on Aug 4, 2010 at 11:06 am

44. I live in Southern California and you predictions for the weather have been on the money for the summer here. I boast on it and the weathermen can’t hold a candle to you guys.
    I have not noticed the changes that you have posted for an early winter and although there is no snow here and coming from the Midwest, I long for cooler weather and the “smells” of the seasons change. I will take some rain though cold winds.
    Keep up the good work!

by Cynthia on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:57 am

45. I live in Cumberland Md an I had notice the ants marching in lines ,lots of foggy mornings.

by steve davis on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:49 am

46. I was told that the ring on the wolly catapillar told of their age.

by Shirley on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:47 am

47. I am from Kentucky, I have noticed that the squirrels are working over time it seems and the mice are everywhere this year. The spider webs are huge this year, I have never seen them this big! Hope to see winter soon its too hot!!

by Kimberly on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:35 am

48. I’m in central Florida, originally from Pittsburgh, PA and I love winter. Last winter’s unusual freezing temps at the beginning of the year here sent most Floridians into a tailspin, but I was in heaven and felt like I was home again. I was hoping for another long and what people around here would think is a blustery winter. The crickets have been coming into our house in droves and this house rarely gets insects in it. The spiderwebs have been massive outside in the citrus, oak and magnolia trees, but the most telling to me – I have a sappling chestnut tree from my grandparent’s yard in PA. I took it from the ground when it was just a fallen chestnut, brought it home in a bucket with some soil from the yard just to see if it would germinate and amazingly it grew despite the dramatic climate change. I was worried this year when the leaves started changing a week ago and browning. My uncle said several of his chestnut trees had begun to change already in PA.

by Heather on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:28 am

49. I live in CT, and in the 32 years I have lived on my land, this Spring was very different. The summer has been very different. No mosquito’s, few ants, huge spiders, fewer birds than ever. This Spring I had thousands of pine cones on my yard, thousands. I have been seeing the big woodpeckers and hear an owl in the evening. No migrating geese yet. Deer and bunnies are abundant, as well as wild turkeys.

by Lisa on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:28 am

50. My garage holds all my weights to work out, they have been covered every morning with new spider webs and I have noticed many spiders in my house and garage this Aug already! Ready for cooler weather here in Johns Creek GA.

by Chuck on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:17 am

51. In S.E. Illinois the locust started their evening singing somewhat early this year. However, I don’t remember hearing them sing throughout the day this early in the year (usually not until later summer/early fall) and they’ve been at it for several weeks now.

by Laura on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:08 am

52. I live in the mountians of Western N.C. and I am totally confused about the winter signs this year. Lots of ants and they are meandering all over the place. Lots of walnuts, plenty of Beech-nuts but the white oaks are not yielding acorns in an abundance as they did last year. The wooly worm is fat and a couple have been totally black and the squirrels are going crazy gathering what nuts they can find. Spider webs are everywhere and very large. So hot and humid this summer, I say bring on the snow, I love it. We had lots of snow last winter and I loved every flake that fell.

by Dave Marcus on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:02 am

53. Yikes, its just now August and the spiders are busy claiming space inside the house. Normally this happens September into October in the Verde Valley in north-central Arizona. Maybe they became spoiled with the drought this year [almost 100 days without measurable rainfall] , and now we are having a few days of monsoonal rain.

by bls on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:00 am

54. Here in Comstock Park Mi the acorns began to fall two weeks ago. Their are also more than usual. They are falling about six weeks early.

by John on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:00 am

55. Live in south louisiana and lots of fog in the am, heat unbareable this year, lots of bees and wasps and dragonflies. No mosquitos to speak of, ants in straight lines also. Lots of birds in the am

by debkajunlady on Aug 4, 2010 at 9:56 am

56. The last time I saw the Northern lights in August, We had the worst winter that I can remember both snow and bitter cold.Hope I’m wrong this time.

by R E Ziegler on Aug 4, 2010 at 9:40 am

57. We live in Colorado Springs, CO. I’m so glad to have gotten this email. A friend and I were just talking about this the other day when we noticed the Aspen trees in her yard were acting a little odd. Seems the leaves are turning on the ends of the branches already. And yes I have noticed loads of spiders in our home this summer, more ants than usual but hardly any bees at my flowers this year. Pine cones are dropping very early this year too. No fog yet though. I hope winter waits just a bit longer, we went straight from winter to summer this year in May, very short summer its been. Just hand fertilized my pumpkins this morning, they are producing female flowers early this year.

by Nat on Aug 4, 2010 at 9:38 am

58. The cicadas started singing here in mid July. I was told years ago that if you count the number of cycles in there song, from high pitch to low, it will tell you the number of days until the first frost. August first there song was below 40 cycles. That would be very early for here in central Illinois.

by Walt on Aug 4, 2010 at 9:29 am

59. I live in Sugar Grove OH. Usually the ants cross over our upper deck rail, going from the woods toward the front part of land. They travel in a line carrying eggs. NOT this year. They have large space between each ant, meandering side to side on the rail, and no eggs. Unusual this year. I always enjoy trying to find the entrance and exit of the yearly ant travel, every year.

by Patty on Aug 4, 2010 at 9:27 am

60. My home is in beautiful northern New Jersey. Noticing some acorns, and the crickets seem to be chirping earlier than usual.

by Mary Lou on Aug 4, 2010 at 9:15 am

61. i live in western pa. and i have never seen spider webs this large. and they are everywhere!!! the crickets are exceptionally loud in the evening which means an early fall. my sycamore leaves are turning already which is a bit early. even with the hot sticky weather, there are few mosquitoes which is very strange. and for the beginning of august we had one of the heaviest fogs i have ever seen here this morning

by jaz on Aug 4, 2010 at 9:14 am

62. I am an avid weather watcher. I am getting mixed signs of what the weather folklores are predicting for this winter. Personally from what i have seen in my own yard and around the area…this winter will be warmer and wetter than usual for the Charleston, WV area.

by Matthew on Aug 4, 2010 at 8:57 am

63. I live in Otsego, MN (my first time living up north.. i’m from Texas) I’ve noticed 4 flock of geese flying south over the past few weeks. In Texas that means cold weather is coming soon. Haven’t noticed any ants. I’ll watch for some and see if they are in a straight line or squiggly.

by Dorothy on Aug 3, 2010 at 11:57 pm

64. I live in southwestern part of Ohio and I love
    Winter! I have noticed ants in lines and while
    on vacation in Florida long lines of ants. There
    are more spiders in my house then I have ever
    had before. I have seen many geese formations
    flying south already and the wooly catapillar
    I found under a piece of wood was the fattest
    I’ve ever seen! I love the sky and have noticed
    halos around the moon a lot. My cats have caught
    mice for me this year in my home and that hasn’t
    happened for years. Squirrels are very busy in
    my yard. I can’t wait! Hope it all comes true!!!

by enb on Aug 3, 2010 at 4:57 pm

65. In Centeral Ohio here and I’ve notice the ants in a line as well. The younger trees are taking color but the more mature trees are still green. I seem to kill a spider every day in my house. Bring on the cool weather! This heat is horrible.

by elizmstevens on Aug 3, 2010 at 2:41 pm

66. Reporting from Gaston, S.C. I have noticed a few more crickets. Less spider webs than last year, BUT the ants are marching in lines. Can’t get to my persimmon tree anymore. The property that had the tree on it was purchased not too long ago. Haven’t noticed any acorns (we dont have a tree that makes them in our yard).

by The Rickster on Aug 3, 2010 at 3:33 am

67. I live in New Tazewell, TN, in northeastern TN. I have noticed the ants are in lines and not meandering. The spiders are spinning webs larger than usual and I find quite a few in my apartment; more than normal.

by Jennifer on Aug 2, 2010 at 2:54 pm

68. we’ve already had a couple of foggy mornings here in Mississippi, the crickets are TERRIBLE, so are the spiders…ants are on the gather more than normal!!!

by marie on Aug 2, 2010 at 2:27 pm

69. I live in Richmond, Va and I’ve noticed ants in lines also. I haven’t seen the squirrels busy this year like they were last year. Acorns were all over the place and squirrels were going nuts!!

by Tina on Aug 2, 2010 at 2:10 pm

70. I live in southern New England and my driveway is already covered in acorns! Also I have noticed ants marching in lines.

by Ben on Aug 2, 2010 at 10:16 am