Farmers Almanac Weather

Waxing Crescent

Winter or Summer Storms? Which are worse?

Winter or Summer Storms? Which are worse?

Summer is here and with it comes the risk of severe thunderstorms, tornadoes, and hurricanes.  But which are worse? Summer storms or winter storms?

Hurricanes especially ones that make landfall in a populated area are devastating. Fortunately, hurricanes are a threat but don’t always hit annually. Tornadoes on the other hand do show up each year mostly in the spring to early summer.

While hurricanes are a destructive and expensive, winter snow or ice storms can also bring widespread power outages and paralyze large parts of the country for many days. Heat waves have also been known to cause deaths and issues with power outages and blackouts.

But which in your opinion are worse — summer or winter storms?

Where you live may influence the answer to this question. Here in the Northeast, winter is our pick. After living through a major ice storm in January in Maine, many of us at the Farmers’ Almanac realize how hard it is to live without power and heat during winter’s wrath.

Yet if you live in “tornado alley” or Florida, which as been subjected to 48 landfalls of tropical storms and hurricanes over the past 30-years) might think differently.

Share your worst weather storm experience with us here. We’ll report on the winning season next week.

Which storms do you like the least?

Summer Storms

Winter Storms

(Submitting Vote)
Current Results:
Summer Storms: 55%
Winter Storms: 45%

1 Richard { 04.11.12 at 1:37 pm }

I think that the winder strom is far worst than tha summer stroms are. I lost my home in the May 3rd tornado and yes it was hard to rebuild, but the winder stroms, at least around here there are ice strom that down power line and you will be out of power sometime for weeks on end.
With the summer strom it is over with and you can pick yourself up and go about with you life.

2 Janey N { 07.09.10 at 2:13 pm }

Living in Minnesota, we have summer storms, and those who say they dont like them, are usually the ones who are amped up- when they hit, Summer has quick and destructive storms, true, but after them your still in the 80′s and you can repair your roof with out having to battle the elements of 0 degrees. Winter storms hit and then they last, the shoveling, the ice, the warming your car up, the having to wait 30 minutes until you really feel warmed up again. The extra clothes and boots and hats and scarfs and the yellow dog pee in the yards, the look of the neighborhood 5 days after the storm. Parking issues with snow and plows, salt , frozen lakes, you cant have the windows open, the cost increase of electricty and natural gas. Winter and the storms are far worse than summer.

3 Matt { 06.28.10 at 1:10 pm }

My vote goes to summer storms. When you go through a hurricane and live for the next week without power and have 90+ days with high humidity it is brutal. Rotting garbage in the streets. This is why I would rather go through a winter storm as I just bundled up with more clothes and blankets.

4 Sue { 06.28.10 at 2:11 am }

I lived through our recording breaking snow fall of winter 08/09 and our record breaking heatwave, 5 days in a row, the summer of 09, so I am still trying to decide which is worse, hm, hard to decide.

5 Brenda { 06.26.10 at 2:35 pm }

I live in Springfield, MO. We had a terrible ice storm in 2007 and I along with most of town was out of power for 13 days. I had to deal with a sick Mom, care for a sick friend, and then sick myself. It was terrible having to stay awake to keep a fireplace going. So I voted for winter, but spring & summer is almost as bad with severe storms and tornados. Here in the Ozarks, it’s a toss-up!!

6 alison { 06.26.10 at 9:45 am }

I lived in Hot Springs , Ark. for most of my life and I can tell you that summer storms are the absolute worst. We have mild winters – mostly ice – very little snow – but we do have high heat indexes and heat waves, tornadoes, and flash floods. So Summer Storms get my vote.

7 Vicki { 06.23.10 at 11:55 pm }

Winter storms are cold and blustery, but summer storms usually mean downed trees, electricity outages, hurricanes, tornadoes and lightening bolts that dance from ground to sky and all across the sky. They are beautiful to watch, but ohhhh the damage can be devastating! In winter it’s cold, you can bundle up, but the heat of the summer hits, and you can’t peel off layers of skin! Sweating profusely in humid, hot, weather can cause dehydration, exhaustion, and make you down right sick. My vote goes to summer storms being worst. We love to walk in the warm rain, but if lightening is part of that storm, is it really a safe idea? No way!

8 Jeff Johnson { 06.23.10 at 9:34 pm }

I live in Little Rock & on Dec. 2 1982 We had a pretty bad tornado & Since then we have had a few more in the winter. Of course spring storms are worse.

9 chris { 06.23.10 at 8:20 pm }

Summer storms can catch you more off guard and more unexpectedly.
You might be golfing on a bright sunny day, when a unpredicted thunderstorm is suddenly firing bolts of lightening over the golf course. Out in your boat and that same thunderstorm hits? Camping or hiking and suddenly the winds whip up and the lightening starts striking? Where do you run for cover? Tornados migtht be forecasted, but, the route they will take? They have even more the capacity to arrive suddenly and destroy all in their path. You may only have seconds to get to a safe place.
Snowstorms? More accurately predicted these days. You can stay home and be prepared for the worse. (Unless of course you happen to live somewhere where snowfall rarely acclumulates and you are caught completely by surprise.)
As the ozone depletes, environmentalist warned us: stormy weather will become more fericous and more unpredictiable.
Off we go………………………………………………….

10 castles1976 { 06.23.10 at 6:36 pm }

Living in Western Pa for all my Life, winter can be brutal and beautiful . But there is nothing as devasting as a flash flood or heavy winds . Just ask anyone from Johnstown , especially anyone living there in 1977 ! Remember snow storms are usually quiet and the snow is usually gone by March.

11 Michelle { 06.23.10 at 5:44 pm }

I hate winter , To drive in it it is so dangerous The bitter cold Ice I just hate it
I can handle summer storms alot better severe weather in the summer is not an every day thing it can storm out & you can still drive and walk winter you can’t it takes a full day or more to dig out ( YUK )

12 Fay Fletcher { 06.23.10 at 2:27 pm }

I have lived in the Chicago area and San Antonio Texas. Now I’m in NC. I see the most real damage done in the spring(flooding) and summer(storms). Both are uncomfortable and can kinda’ make you “house bound” sometimes. Eventually the snow melts and/or you get the electricty restored from a wintery blast. However, it takes a long time to completely rebuild a house or a town from twisters.

13 MARGARET S. { 06.23.10 at 12:41 pm }

I,D RATHER SUMMER TO GET OUT MORE WINTERS ARE TO COLD
BUT DON’T LIKE LIGHTNING NOR TORNADOS

14 Dick Driscoll { 06.23.10 at 12:05 pm }

I live in So. Dakota, we experience both winter & summer extremes. I voted summer because over the years i would have to say that in my area we’ve had more death, injury, & damage in the summer then in the winter.

15 Linda { 06.23.10 at 11:19 am }

The Blizzard of ’77 that hit Buffalo and surrounding areas was a terrifying experience. Now we live in Central Florida…hurricanes are just as terrifying. When you experience storms like these firsthand, it’s difficult to choose between summer and winter.

16 Luanne { 06.23.10 at 11:19 am }

The summer storms are the worst with Tornados that destroy lots of homes and property. Also, the Hurricanes and severe thunderstorms with lightening and high winds. It get makes one scare.

17 Roxanne Coffelt { 06.23.10 at 11:10 am }

It’s funny how different people look at the storms differently. I live on a farm in Northwest Mo. A winter storm makes it hard to feed, protect and keep livestock alive. But the summer storms cause flooding which may delay or even wipe out your crop. So I’m not sure which storm I’d pick, either way it is detramental to the farm.

18 Carl { 06.23.10 at 9:51 am }

Winter storms are worst by far ,summer storms you don’t have to shovel rain!

19 Margaret { 06.23.10 at 9:25 am }

I love the summers but not the bad stroms.

20 Deanna { 06.23.10 at 9:02 am }

I have lived in Ohio all my life and I cannot stand the Winters here, In my opinion Winters are the worst, I have been in and around storms such as Hurricanes and Tornados in Florida, yes they are bad but Winters are forever long and seem to last longer and longer every year.

21 Joann { 06.23.10 at 8:56 am }

I would rather have winter storms as you can always dress up for them, but there is no way to dress for summer storms. In the winter you can just stay in the hous and hide from the storm. but were can you hide from a tornado taking your house? Winter storms do not flood your basements but summer ones do quite often.

22 Sherry P { 06.23.10 at 8:52 am }

I really don’t like winter at all…the cold and snow…ugh! Summer storms, although some can be scary, I like. I love watching the lightening streak across the sky or plummet to Earth.

23 J.A.Murphy { 06.22.10 at 7:14 pm }

I have always said,”I’d rather be hot & sweaty than cold & frigid”.
Well with the severe weather hitting Indiana this year it has changed me to dis-like summer storms more now than ever,I think the strong winds,heavy rain and sever lightning we’ve had this year(especially June) scare me more than ever.
Ask me again this winter and I’ll flip flop again,just as many do!

24 June Bug { 06.21.10 at 7:01 pm }

I just feel that we have no control over freezing to death is why I voted that I dis- like winter storms more than summer storms. Where I have lived all of my life we have summer storms that are thunder, lightening and high winds. When I was a child lightening struck our home, burned out the cellar and the house had to be torn down and rebuilt. It was a bad experience, the lightening bolt that hit knocked my Daddy down (we were all inside of the house) and instantly the fire was burning in the cellar. We have ice and snow in the winter but not that I feel we can’t cope with. At times we have lost our electric. These storms usually don’t last long, we have only been paralized for a few days at the most. I live in Central Illinois now and always have.

25 CLIFFORD MILLMAN { 06.21.10 at 6:36 pm }

SUMMER HAS HURRICANES AND LIGHTNING.