Waxing Crescent

Summer Sizzler or Soaker?

Summer Sizzler or Soaker?

After a wacky, wild winter across much of the country, and a soggy spring in many areas — especially along the East Coast, where heavy rains and flooding have ravaged parts of Tennessee, Kentucky, New Jersey and parts of New England — things should finally begin to warm up as summer swings into full gear.

Those who complained about last year’s cool, soggy summer will probably enjoy the scorching heat the Farmers’ Almanac has predicted for the coming summer. By our calculations, most areas of the U.S. and Canada can expect hotter than normal temperatures during July and August.

Because of this year’s El Niño weather system, though, the coming summer may actually start off wetter than normal, and dry out as the summer progresses. El Niño brought some unusual weather patterns this year, but we expect the system to fade away by the early part of summer. If that happens, things should warm up considerably just about everywhere, bringing on one of the nation’s hottest summers in a good while. Only the Pacific Northwest is forecast to have near-normal temperatures this summer.

Don’t make any major outdoor plans for Independence Day this year, though. We’re predicting thunderstorms will strike most regions over the Fourth of July holiday weekend, with the threat of tornadoes over the Plains states.

For the rest of the summer, look for an average amount of rainfall on the East Coast and Pacific Northwest, with wetter than normal conditions in the Midwest and South Central states, especially Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and parts of New Mexico.

California and Nevada will have an exceptionally dry summer this year, which, unfortunately, could mean another year of increased wildfire threats.

In Canada, as in the U.S., summer’s heat will come on at full force starting in July, with sweltering temperatures from Ontario through Saskatchewan. Coastal provinces can expect closer to normal temperatures. Look for plenty of rain in Ontario and Quebec with average precipitation elsewhere.

Summer also means hurricanes. Hurricane season officially begins on June 1. Watch this spot next week for overview of what to expect during hurricane season. Will there be a big one this year? Come back to find out!

For more detailed weather predictions, be sure to check out the Farmers’ Almanac Long Range Forecast for your area!

1 mollie { 03.01.12 at 2:15 pm }

lol omg i meant 2011 haha

2 mollie { 03.01.12 at 2:14 pm }

i love the summer….. cant wait for it to come!!!!! i had my first child march 31 2010, she is 11 months now. cant wait to have mother and daughter time going to the pool

3 me { 07.01.11 at 11:44 pm }

Phyllis you should move to the anarctic if you hate summer

4 Linda { 05.17.11 at 8:55 pm }

It sounds like we’re in for hotter than normal weather in the northeast this summer. That’s awfully good to hear after all the cool, rainy weather we’ve had so far this spring. Gardening is my passion and it’s no fun doing that in the rain. Hopefully the extremely hot temps won’t dry up the plants and flowers.

5 Sherri { 07.11.10 at 7:06 pm }

I hate summer heat and humidity! I could really enjoy living someplace where the high during the summer is 70ish. Of course, I would like for the winters to be around 40.

6 kara { 06.03.10 at 4:54 pm }

i hope it’s warmer this summer..last summer we went camping twice once it rained the next it hailed…bring on the swimming weather…
@ashley my husband and i got married on august 21 st this will be our 6th anniversary..

7 Ashleybubier { 06.02.10 at 4:03 pm }

I hope it is going to be nice August 21st in Maine! I plan to be getting married August 21, 2010 at 4pm on the ocean!

8 Hayden { 05.31.10 at 1:53 pm }

We are going to have the hottest summer in a while? That’s rough, I hate the heat and humidity. I’m happy that winter is only 6 mos. away.

9 Donna { 05.29.10 at 7:02 pm }

I hate hot, humid weather !!!!!!!!!!!

10 Gordon { 05.26.10 at 11:46 pm }

I live in the plains states, and I thought the almanac said we were to be cooler & wetter than normal?

11 daisym0m { 05.26.10 at 2:33 pm }

What about Georgia? What kind of summer will we have? I love cold weather. My daughter loves hot weather. I guess she’ll get her wish this year.

12 Phyllis { 05.26.10 at 9:51 am }

Did you say a hot summer is coming??!! UGH!! Looks like I’d better head West!! :o)))

13 jackie { 05.26.10 at 9:16 am }

oh wow… I’m going to love this coming summer! Last summer was not quitea summer, it ws kind of a combo between spring and fall.