Register | Log in

« | »

Can Aches and Pains Predict the Rain?

Can Aches and Pains Predict the Rain?

“Oh, my bones are aching. It must be about to rain.”

Chances are, you’ve either uttered these words yourself, or heard them from an older relative. The idea that body aches can predict the weather is a very ancient bit of weather lore, illustrated by the following old saying:

A coming storm your shooting corns presage,
And aches will throb, your hollow tooth will rage.

This belief is as persistent and widespread as it is old. Countless people with no interest in weather lore — the kind of people who don’t care how wide the orange stripe is on the back of a woolly bear caterpillar or whether it’s better for the sky to be red in the morning or at night — repeat this one every day, and with good reason.

While not every piece of old weather lore is true, evidence seems to suggest that this one is based in fact. As far back as the 1960s, medical researchers have found, over and over again, that there is a genuine connection between increased pain and cold, wet weather. While the effect is most commonly linked to arthritis sufferers, many have also reported feeling increased pain from nerve disorders, recently healed fractures, migraines, toothaches, corns, and even scars, when the weather was about to change.

No one knows exactly what causes aches and pains to flare up, but the most likely culprit is the drop in atmospheric pressure that occurs right before a storm begins. This shift in air pressure may be enough to dilate the blood vessels in the body, stimulating the nerve endings in sensitive areas, like sore feet, creaky knees, or bad teeth.

Can you predict the weather by aches or pains? Share your experiences here.

106 Responses

1. I’m 61 years old and have had 3 concussions, torn cartilage in both knees, and have broken just about every bone in my body including my lumbar and cervix from a farming accident. My lumbar is fused from L-1 thru L-6 and my neck is fused from C-3 thru C-6. I can predict a storm 2 to 3 days in advance, depending on the severity of the storm. The closer it gets the worse I hurt. The day before the storm I’m in so much pain and misery I have to isolate myself in my room, medicate myself and stay down until the storm hits. Sleep is the last thing I’m able to get, no matter how bad I need or want it. The older I get the worse the pain gets. I was told when I turned 60 that I was entering into my Golden Years. Well my golden years are turning out to be made of Fools Gold. All the things I dreamed of doing when I retired are just that, Dreams. Cheers……..

by Mark on Sep 11, 2014 at 7:42 am

2. I’m a 22 year old male and I broke my collar bone a month ago. I keep having people tell me that I’ll be able to feel the weather now and have had no idea why. One thing I can see is the pressure thing, where my break is it didn’t heal all that great. Just today about 2 hours before it rained it was totally sunny out and the weather forecast said clear all day. I started complaining about a stuff neck right near the break and sure enough it rained. It’s weird but probably true

by Nick K on Sep 4, 2014 at 6:20 pm

3. I am a 19 year old female and have severe pain starting from the top of my thigh to my ankle before it rains. It occurs in both legs sometimes, and sometimes just one. I have never had any previous injuries to my legs and this has been happening for a few years now. Could I have arthritis maybe? Not really sure. But the pain can be excruciating!

by Alex on Sep 2, 2014 at 2:45 pm

4. I have Neuropathy cause from chemo treatments. When my pain level goes up and I can tell you three days ahead of a front before it gets here, after the front passes on through then my pain level goes back down. A Pain Managment Doctor told me that when the Barometer (atmospheric pressure) starts to drop thats when my pain level goes up. Durning the summer the fronts are rain, winter is the coldest.

by Tonia on Aug 24, 2014 at 5:51 pm

5. I’ve had five back surgeries and my right knee replaced, I can tell when the weather changes because my pain seems to double and I can’t sleep because I’m constantly waking up from the pain. So this is indeed a true fact

by Elaine Robinson on Aug 24, 2014 at 6:49 am

6. My son & I both get headaches that start either at the base of the head & creeps up & over our head or it’ll start off with a bang at the temples. It all depends on how fast the front is moving through. We get our headaches when the pressure drops below 30. My mother, aunt, and grandma all suffer when the pressure is on the move. Up, down, it doesn’t matter. If it’s moving the are in pain or they can’t think, “Brain fog”. They do better when the pressure is stable. My son & I both do better if it’s about 30. 31 or 32 and I’m moving so fast I’ll have done the spring cleaning of the house in under 6 hrs. Lol.

by Fonya on Aug 23, 2014 at 11:16 pm

7. No doubt that it affects the body. I AM THE HUMAN BAROMETER!!! Since suffering an aneursym in my brain stem, and having part of my skull removed (& not replaced), I am extremely sensitive to changes in the weather. Living near a coastline, we have rapid changes in the barometric pressure. I can tell when low pressure systems are coming. I not only feel pain, but my physical appearance changes. I feel instant relief when the pressure begins to rise. Have experienced this for several years. I am a weather girl…..just don’t get paid for it!

by kim on Aug 23, 2014 at 10:08 pm

8. I just recently have experienced some arthritis in my left wrist and have noticed the last two weeks I am able to tell by it aching that we are going to get rain and we do.

by Rosemarie on Aug 23, 2014 at 8:59 pm

9. I have severe arthritis of the knee and hip, both requiring joint replacement surgery. The knee is bad, but the hip is an absolute killer! I live in Central New York, and last winter was agonizing. It hurt just to sit, but felt like a hatchet or buzz saw going through my hip, derierre and thigh when I tried to walk. Summer has been a tad better, but we’re having a lot of weather fluctuations and storms. On days before storms, the incredible pain kicks in. I’m on 2-3 Advil’s a day, to try to keep the inflammation, and thus pain, down. Hip replacement surgery is scheduled for October 20. The pain of that can’t be any worse than what I’m experiencing now. I absolutely agree that weather affects body pain.

by Terry on Aug 23, 2014 at 7:34 pm

10. I know that when it is going to rain or when we have high humidity, my joints ache. Even old injurys, such as my wrist that was broken many years ago, ache. So, i do believe it is true!

by marge m. on Aug 23, 2014 at 7:27 pm

11. The knee that I had surgery on in high school really throbs with pain when a storm comes or if there is just a dip in the pressure.

by Jason on Aug 23, 2014 at 7:20 pm

12. Living with RA, I am very sensitive to weather change, but what I have learned it isnt the moisture that causes my problem. I lived in FL for year and I felt great when it rained, but living in Oklahoma now I hurt severely at its change, thsi summer I figured it out while visiting NM, its the change in air pressure that kills me. At 8,000 feet in the mountains I didnt hurt at all. In places that the pressure changes significantly makes me hurt,,,Im now moving to NM, and 8,000 feet above sea level.

by C Bradley on Aug 23, 2014 at 6:55 pm

13. I had surgery in my neck last November, I have arthritis there also. I always have increased pain when the weather is going to change. Not all storms bother me but most due, esp. the ones that bring colder weather. I have always heard older people claim they could feel it coming, now I am a believer!

by Jenny on Aug 23, 2014 at 6:05 pm

14. I broke my foot 8 years ago and ever since then I can tell that rain is coming two days before it actually does. Feels like a toothache in my left foot at the 5th metatarsal! Throbs just like a toothache. A friend told me it was the pressure in the atmosphere changing as the storm moves in that was affecting the fluid in my foot where my injury was and that is why I am sensitive to it.

by Linda on Jun 8, 2014 at 7:42 pm

15. Located in maryland . Seasons change. Today is sunny ! What a relief . Yes , I to go through ill feelings prior to rain . Usually two days before it rains . My symptoms : inflammation in sternum , breast bone . I’m 34 ur old woman . So tmi but this is horrible for women ! It aches so bad . I have hard time breathing . My left ankle and foot also swell , my left calf and shin inflamed also . My tmj worsens . And that is very painful ,even with mouth guard . I always for some strange reasons get a sore throat ache . Not an actually sore throat but it feels like it , along with these symptoms. I do have osteoarthritis in my knees , so those ache as well . It is as if all the rain builds up in my body and then when it rains , I instantly feel better ! It is like the fluid build up comes out of my body as the rain is coming out of the sky . This gives rain dance a whole new meaning ! Just kidding . But no really , this is what happens . There is def . A huge correlation between weather and our bones and muscles . We have water in our bodies. So it makes sense that rain and cold afftected us. I just feel so sick and usually my head always warm to but no fever . Idk . But tune tic is good for inflammation and of course good old exercise . If u are one lucky enough to move . May god or ur higher being whatever that may be to you keep us all healthy and help us . Much love

by Sunny 34 on Apr 26, 2014 at 11:42 am

16. I never understood the phrase “Right as rain” until a few years ago. I broke my pelvis during labor and was diagnosed later that year with Chiari Malformation 1. Both respond horribly to changes in the weather. Most days it is one day out that I am in pain. Tonight, 2 days out but I forgot my meds today. So I will be in pain until the rain starts….then everything will be “right” again.
    Much love out to other sufferers.

by Moon on Apr 20, 2014 at 8:46 pm

17. My sinuses always hurt just before a storm as well as my left knee which definitely has arthritis in it. Few weeks ago,my sensitive teeth hurt as well and during this time it was snowy and rainy not to mention cold…😏

by Phyllis Pippin on Mar 29, 2014 at 7:42 am

18. My sinuses always predict the snow or a severe swing in temperature (20+) degrees. I have only been wrong once in the past 4 years.

by Michael on Mar 28, 2014 at 9:15 pm

19. I broke my right heal when I was 20. People said it wouldn’t hurt after 3 years. I’m turning 40 this year and I can definitely feel the weather change. And with this winter, I’m looking forward to summer temps.

by Nathan Baggett on Mar 28, 2014 at 8:58 pm

20. before a front comes through, I get terrible headaches. As soon as the front passes, my headache goes away.

by gail on Mar 28, 2014 at 8:30 pm

21. I had both knees replaced along with joints on my feet. I was diagnosed with chronic inflammatory disease. If the weather’s changing in the middle of the night–I’m up in pain. The weather we have been having this yr., has been constantly changing & life has been miserable. It’s real!

by marilyn on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:14 pm

22. I had surgery for a torn hip labrum, well the weather indeed bothers this, i get pain over top of the normal pain and does not lessen until it storms.

by Mindy Nicholls on Mar 28, 2014 at 6:42 pm

23. Co-workers always said the feet i had broken- Better than Willard Scott predicting the weather-snow-rain- changes they would ache.

by Barbara Ann on Mar 28, 2014 at 6:05 pm

24. i had alot of dental work last year n and i’m very sensitve to changes every time a dramatic weather change happens i start to feel it bad my body just goes in to over drive. and than when the storm is over if feel better.

by mattzweck on Feb 27, 2014 at 8:24 pm

25. I get pain when a storm is comin in. The doctor gives me lortabs. I just take one aand relax and watch the rain

by Tom on Nov 7, 2013 at 12:54 am

26. Not only does my knee ache sometimes when rain is coming, but I have a condition called vasomotor rhinitis in which the nasal passages get inflamed due to changes in barometric pressure, irritants. etc.It’s been raining where I am, and I have sinus pressure as we speak.

by Tasha on Oct 17, 2013 at 9:29 am

27. let me tell you something,I know for a fact if you have arthritis,you will ache before a big rain my back and hip hurts so bad the day before a rain storm and that night or the next day when the rain has arrived the ache stops and that is the real truth,it has been happening for years to me

by DSJ on Aug 6, 2013 at 10:05 pm

28. i haven’t seen my cure for my (deafness) yet on this site. this is the 2nd time in a row now i was on my way to going totally deaf until i found out when i go to an extremely rainy wet climate in the summer it only takes 1 week and my plugged ears (not wax) totally unplug themselves. then as soon as i return to my home (dry desert air never rains) i start going deaf again. now i know i have to move but i don’t know why and neither does my ear doctor. he has never heard of this either. i’m plugged up again now so it’s time to arrange another trip probably san fransisco this time. am i alone in this miracle cure for going deaf?

by douglas on Jul 26, 2013 at 8:51 pm

29. Me and my bf were in the basement the whole day, never went outside at all. I told him my knees hurt so it was probably gonna rain. He told me I was crazy. About an hour later we go to the go to the car to go to the store. We get to the car and it starts sprinkly. He realized that he was wrong and apologized!

by Destiny Wasson on May 19, 2013 at 11:30 pm

30. I have heard this from my over relatives multiple times. And I do believe it’s true. I am 24 now, and ever since I was 16, every time a storm was coming in (causing the atmospheric pressure to drop) I would get a sharp pain in my shin (shin splints) and it would last a day or two after the storm was gone. It’s to the point now to where I can barely walk on it, depending on the severity of the storm. Tonight (5-15-13) in the DFW and surrounding areas, we had severe thunderstorms and tornadoes… I could barely walk on my right leg because of the splint pain. I sure would hate to live in Hawaii, from what I heard. It rains there all the time. I’d be in a wheelchair!

by Nathan on May 16, 2013 at 12:57 am

31. I’m an exercise fanatic even tho I’ve had hip resurface 2008 and back surgery 2010. Rods and screws in my spine with fusion. A couple days before it rains the pain is absolutely awful. I still try to walk on treadmill or do yoga or even step aerobics. i really believe that when I “heat the inners” it helps but it persists until it rains. If rain is one of those that just spits for a few minutes that’s not good enough. Not until the whole weather system is in full force do i get relief. Afterward, what a great relief!!

by patty mcphillips on May 11, 2013 at 9:23 am

32. I never thought that previous injuries would have anything to do with the “why?”
    When i was two, i was in a car accident that killed the other two passengers (my mom and brother). I am scarred, physically, and all of them ache when it rains. My scars are mostly on the right side of my body, on my forearm and thigh.
    i’ve always known it wasn’t a coincidence that i get cramps when it rains, but what i didn’t think about was “where” it hurt. it’s nice to know i’m not the only one, so at least i’m not crazy like everyone’s been telling me.

by Taz on May 11, 2013 at 1:42 am

33. I have fibromyalgia & my body hurts extremely bad right before bad weather. My energy also gets drained. For some reason though, once it starts to rain I get relief.

by Jenny on Apr 30, 2013 at 11:37 am

34. I have degenerative disc disease and sciatic nerve damage. My body can predict a weather change 3-5 days ahead; I wish I lived where there wasn’t so many seasonal changes. Rain sleet or snow, my body feels it.

by Audrey on Apr 18, 2013 at 10:54 am

35. I didn’t ever think of it as a migraine, but I tend to get what feels like the “jitters” when a severe storm is on it’s way. I also tend to clench my teeth and my tension level increases. Strange, I know. It happens before I even know that a bad storm is coming.

by Nancy Aidinian on Apr 18, 2013 at 9:49 am

36. We always call my Mom before hitting the hay field. So far, her record is 100%!

by vicky white on Apr 18, 2013 at 9:21 am

37. I could always tell when it is going to snow ever since I had foot surgery my scar would turn purple instead of a light pink. Also since my car accident injured my neck and back I can tell at least two days before a storm is coming rain or snow. My two children often get nose bleeds just before a major storm thats how i know its coming for sure!

by MaryAnn on Apr 18, 2013 at 8:52 am

38. I’m 63 yrs. of age and my arthritis can tell me when its going to be cloudy and rainy. In cold weather my throat get sore when it is going to snow. I don’t doubt older people anymore when they tell me its going to be bad weather. I getting to that age myself.

by Larry on Apr 18, 2013 at 12:33 am

39. My daughter says I can predict storms coming better then the weatherman!

by Sherry Volkey on Apr 17, 2013 at 10:15 pm

40. I’m 78 & have always been weather sensitive. It is a lot worse now that I have austeo arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, & fibromyalgia. I know at least 48 hours ahead of a weather front & it gets worse the closer the front gets. Of my 4 sons, only one has inherited this curse, thankfully. As a child, I was told it was y imagination or I just wanted attention. Far from that, I just wanted to be normal, whatever normal is.

by Barbara Kelley on Apr 17, 2013 at 5:47 pm

41. Are there weather sites that provide information about barometric pressure changes so that individuals considering moving to an area can be informed about the frequency or intensity of these changes?

by bermecm on Apr 17, 2013 at 2:36 pm

42. I have bad knees and I can tell when it is about to rain
    Before it is broadcast on the weather stations.

by Terry on Apr 17, 2013 at 11:38 am

43. My husband hurts so bad 48 hours before a front moves in that sometimes he can barely make it to the restroom. It has gotten a lot worse since he had West Nile. I also am beginning to fell pain in my back and legs right before a storm.

by Viola on Apr 17, 2013 at 11:33 am

44. I am a chronic migraine sufferer as well, Terri and can usually tell within 24 hours the rains coming and it seems like the closer the storm gets the worse my headache gets. My husband is a farmer and after several times of predicting rain he now believes me.

by Hope on Apr 17, 2013 at 9:48 am

45. I can relate to this as well. But I unlike most people can smell when it’s going to rain

by Morgan on Apr 3, 2013 at 11:16 pm

46. I played soccer for 12 years, I’m 22 now and I had hurt my legs and ankles many times when I was younger. Like clockwork, my knees and ankles ache hours before it rains or snows. I don’t know why, and a lot of the time I don’t like it…but at least I know when to grab an unbrella. :)

by ashlee on Jan 10, 2013 at 10:22 am

47. My shoulders start aching generally 24 hours before we get rain. The pain is brief, but consistent. I’ve never been wrong. I’m only 27, & can’t recall any injuries, so I’m a bit perplexed as to why this happens to me.

by Lisa Hatfield on Dec 16, 2012 at 8:54 am

48. I have been the spiritual, political, forecaster of the weather in a oneness with the universe since the day I was born in the family.My father passed it to me I passed it to my son and I pray that my daughter isn’t in this with the hurting if so let it be mild. My prediction have been on the money as the youngsters say. I help others during those other types of storms where I can. Love Peace and Hair Grease. OES LOL

by Andrea on Oct 17, 2012 at 5:54 pm

49. I believe there is a connection between weather and body pain, I was in a bad rollover MVA 4 yrs ago, and I get severe pain over my entire body, worse in the cspine and Lspine lots of swelling and no medications seem to help. What I don’t understand is that my pain stops as soon as the rain or snow falls.

by tan on Sep 8, 2012 at 11:45 am

50. ohhhh The pain ,I am 42 and in 2008 i had a motorcycle wreck, ruptured my right knee,Fractured Knee, Ruptured meaning everything in my knee desintagrated, Kneecap was up 4 inches due to patella ripped from shine, ACL completely desintagrated, sprained strained mcl,pcl ,lcl , Had surgery to repair patela, what a excrutiating surgery, dr told me they had to scrape the bone and wraped sum kind a metal cord around the lower part of knee to fuse patella back to bone, fractured right ankle, and know 4 years later i still have no ACL and believe me i can predict the weather better than my local meterologist, the Barometric pressure is no myth and for anyone with a catastophic injury knows what im talkin about. If you have major aches and pains check your local radar, or weather station and study from time pain starts and decreases, it will surprise you.

by Allen Hutchins on Sep 4, 2012 at 2:11 pm

51. Oh lord, i guess i am not alone!!! i know its going to rain 2 days before it happens. Severe arm cramps, knots in my arms, severe knee pain, shoulder, and neck pain. I am only 37 and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. It’s horrible! Oh and the horrible EXHAUSTION..even the couch and bed hurt me UGH! I totally sympathize with you guys <3

by tracy rodriguez on Jul 27, 2012 at 10:38 am

52. I’m 41 and have not been diagnosed with anything. I was just laying here on my couch wondering why my legs hurt so bad – then I heard the thunder. Yep, weather is coming! I used to feel the change in weather more in my shoulder -I was involved in a head-on car accident in 1993 … And in my 30’s suffered a lot of pain but it wasn’t persistent and I didn’t understand why it would come and go (like the weather). Here in Texas we have a LOT of sunny days, so it’s pretty obvious when the weather rolls in, and the older I get, the more I can feel it. My husband says he would trust my shoulder before the weather man any day.

by Holly on Jul 18, 2012 at 3:37 pm

53. Ever since i broke my foot I can tell when it is going to rain. It hurts in one particullar that is where my metal plate was inplanted( it was a really bad break) . It is a blessing and a curse.

by Elise on Jul 11, 2012 at 4:52 pm

54. since i was tiny i can remember ‘feeling’ storms. it has increased over the years, now 22 years old and the pain in my knees my neck and occasionally my arm is so severe i need a heating blanket and pad, also eat ginger to open the blood vessels. The current scenario has been almost a week in progress and now im waiting (on the east coast) for this front to move through. before the ‘deracho’ last week i had the same pains and before irene the hurricane they came 2-3 weeks in advance until the first rain drops. the right knee tells of rain the left tells of big storms that damage. greatful to spirit to help others around me prepare sooner but man this pain……

by emily on Jul 6, 2012 at 2:05 pm

55. I just found this page. A storm started about 1 hour ago, and about 2 hours ago I got a throbbing pain in my left arm. The pain increased as teh storm got more intense, so I was curious if this could be related…

by Mattias on Jul 1, 2012 at 12:59 pm

56. I woke up this morning in such pain — in my shoulders, wrists, knees, even my feet (slow in walking)… When I looked at the forecast, I saw “rain” for this week in LA. It didn’t surprise me. This is not the first time that I felt rain coming. It’s been happening for as long as I remember, but the pain has become increasingly severe over the years, especially since my late 20s. I used to think that I was lucky with this gift of weather forecasting, but luckier with my dreams, visions at night… leading me to get the proper medical diagnosis and care for two deadly diseases going under the radar of medical tests: Chronic Lyme Disease and Invasive Breast Cancer. The only thing that I can say is… Moving to a warmer climate where it seldom rains was the best thing. My pains have improved by over 70%, but, also, I finally made a medical breakthrough…

by Sonya Rose Atkinson on Apr 23, 2012 at 3:05 pm

57. Yes, this happens to me! I hate this condition. Hurts to the point that I can hardly walk and when I am standing I have to be careful not to fall because I feel my legs very weak.

by Daniel on Apr 22, 2012 at 8:37 am

58. I am in a great deal of pain even now and have been since yesterday. Even though the weather report says we have 5 days of sunshine coming, (and this happens often) by lower back says rain is coming. The skies can be blue with narry a cloud in sight, but my back does not lie. It feels like someone is slamming me there with a bat.

by Wanda on Apr 15, 2012 at 4:52 am

59. I get a migraine whenever there is a low pressure system moving through…I’ll know that something is on it’s way before I even check the weather forecast.

by FitWith Fibro on Apr 2, 2012 at 8:12 pm

60. Have pain all the time from various problems, no worse at weather change, but I have a crescent scar on abdomen that starts to itch like crazy when the weather’s changing …very odd , feels like several mosquito bites along the scar line. It stops once the weather gets going really good !

by Ann Tucker on Apr 2, 2012 at 5:07 pm

61. i can definetly tell when it is gonna rain or snow. i have arthritis in my spine and it always makes it harder to get out of bed and get going when there is a change. lots of stiffness and soreness.

by linda heern on Apr 2, 2012 at 5:03 pm

62. I dont get aches or pains but my body always knows when its going to rain, on any given day. It can be a bright sunny day & I could have not watched the weather (rarely check weather anyway) but when its going to rain I get extremely sleepy. If its going to be a rainy night, I toss & turn unable to sleep & frustratingly restless. Ss soon as the rain literally begins to fall, I pass out in the deepesy sleeps I ever have. I love water, including showers & beaches, because it always calms & comforts me. I find it odd my body is fail proof in predicting rain but its pretty cool that happens to me. As for full moon nights, thats another story. I literally cant sleep & have a lot of anxiety on full moon nights. I think it all shows how connected all of nature & spirit truly are.

by Andrea on Mar 2, 2012 at 8:17 pm

63. I have a slight pressence of pain that I have always had mainly in my foot area since I was young till now, but my wife really has the pain directly linked with the onset of a storm approaching. Just last night, she was perfectly fine all day then all of a sudden pain became extreme in both the upper, and lower tooth areas…as she fell asleep, I was up watching the news to hear of a very strong storm approaching.

by Jason on Jan 19, 2012 at 3:44 am

64. I am a 15 year-old female with a history of epilepsy and migrianes however everytime a front moves through my area a headache forms like knives stabbing into my head. Unluck most of the others here I’ve had no surgerys what-so-ever and yet I always know when it is going to storm. I find it peciluar

by Emily on Jan 16, 2012 at 9:40 pm

65. Its gotta be true because Im only 33 n when a storm comes like snow or cold rain I ache all over. Tonight in my legs. And I have fibromyalgia so maybe thats affected from the weather too idk, but its not fun.

by Katie on Jan 11, 2012 at 10:20 pm

66. I’ve noticed that ever since I had chemotherapy (combined with a Neulasta shot the day after) nearly two years ago, I experience excruciating pain in my hips and legs the day of or before a cold/warm front and also around the new or full moon.
    I learned that because the chemo kills ALL kinds of cells in the body, including the good ones, the Neulasta shot is given to cause one’s bone marrow to start producing more red blood cells, thus creating severe deep bone pain. Thinking I was crazy because I had not had the shot in a year and was hurting as if I had just gotten one, I did some research. I found out that our bodies naturally produce red blood cells in our bone marrow during the full moon. This (to me) explained everything.
    Now, when I start hurting, I check the moon phase as well as the weather. If I were a gambler, I’d put money on it that my pain was being caused by one or the other of these to stimuli.

by Squeekie on Jan 1, 2012 at 5:13 pm

67. I am sick in bed everytime the temps fall. Every surgical site and injury throbs. A migrain headache and muscle twitches and weakness.

by sandee on Dec 31, 2011 at 4:36 pm

68. I have half a metal hip, metal leg and several pins on my knee; I can usually feel a sharp pain that lasts for at least 12 hours two days before a storm hits or a cold front comes. My mother can detect rain up to six days in advance due to an injury in her knee while playing soccer

by Nigel on Dec 24, 2011 at 11:49 am

69. I agree totally. I had surgery to replace my acl in my left knee with a donor tendon, and two bone mulch screws put in the leg, now over a year later within a day or two of a storm I always know, hurts like crazy, aches, but as soon as it rains, it stops hurting

by Kevin on Dec 14, 2011 at 11:00 am

70. for some odd reason when ever the weather get like into fall or winter i start not to feel good for some reason.it’s like my muscles ache then they cramp up so i don’t feel good

by mattzweck on Oct 2, 2011 at 1:58 am

71. I am 21 years old and live in Mexico. I broke my right tibia (or more specifically, I snapped my right tibia in two pieces) when I was 10 years old. I don’t know the reason, but it didn’t heal properly, since the bone reattached in a twisted position, which left me an unaligned limb with protuberance in the healing area and moderate yet variable swelling. It doesn’t pain when I practice sports or work out, thought it hurts when punched. There is something weird about the named swelling, given it becomes more painful and pronunciated when it is either about to rain or already raining for first time in a row. The swelling stays a couple of days only, even if it keeps raining (rains in my city are of short lenght anyway, and may repeat up to 5 continous summer days at most); I dont’ mean cronic pain, but the noticeable swelling makes want to refrain from walking a lot. It finally goes back to its ” normal” state a few days after tje rains.

by Aldo Cruz on Sep 25, 2011 at 12:55 am

72. I have bad teeth, I live in south GA. When there is a hurricane in the atlantic my bad tooth hurts so bad I cannot even sleep. 3 or 4 days later the pain will be gone, until the next one of course. Hurricane season is hell on me.

by Andy on Sep 14, 2011 at 1:20 pm

73. i have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis and migraines as well and i can feel a storm approaching long before it arrives and i am even sensitive to approaching wind storm

by Dave on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:18 am

74. I used to suufer the worst ( eyeball headaches I call” em”} migrains is what the Doc said they were, headaches in the Fall, I live in S.W. Ohio in a place called the Miami Valley, whenever a cold front would come thru. It always started about 8 hours before as a little nagging pain behind my eyes. Then usually in the middle of the night an hour or so after it passed I woke up with a jackhammer in my head. They made me physically ill with vomiting. The only time it left is 12 hours later in the E.R. with a very strong pain shot. I’ve managed them by keep an ear to my NOAA weather radio and taking some pain meds when the front is in Wisconsin and Praying I don’t get one

by Robert DeBoard on Apr 6, 2011 at 11:50 pm

75. I always get a headache before a rain or snow storm, mother and grandmother had the same symptoms. When there is a full moon, I can’t sleep, anyone else with that symptom?

by Louie on Apr 6, 2011 at 10:41 am

76. We live in MN and my son is a migraine sufferer. He seems to get horrible migraines when the barometric pressure drops. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, what do you do for it? Is there anything preventative he can do? Thanks.

by Sheilah on Apr 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm

77. I have muscular dystrophy I hurt with some rain and snow. I broke my collar bone three years ago and just last year it stopes hurting with storms :)

by Tes on Feb 1, 2011 at 11:14 pm

78. Definitely. I get really bad throbbing headaches the day before, during it until it’s over. Sometimes migraines :( like right now… Storming in bay area hence my fat throbbing head. Just took 3 motrin and going to drink coffee. Uggh. Strange but really cool. Maybe if we tuned in more w our bodies and environment there cld be more! Cheers all happy nye

by Miko on Dec 28, 2010 at 2:10 pm

79. I do not get any pains but my hands get dry.

by ESM on Dec 21, 2010 at 4:31 am

80. where i live when we have really bad weather my body will just start to ache so badly i start not to feel good,

by mattzweck on Oct 19, 2010 at 6:53 pm

81. I had shoulder surgery and now it gets real stiff and hurts about 24 hours before it rains

by Andrew on Oct 12, 2010 at 10:43 pm

82. A few years ago I fell down the stairs – all the way down. I chipped my femur and tore my meniscus in my knee, which resulted in surgery, PT, and not walking on my own for 9 months! That was three years ago, and I can still predict rain within 20 minutes in that knee. Recently, I have noticed a tooth that aches when it’s going to rain….might need to have it checked out!

by Jennie on Sep 10, 2010 at 8:43 am

83. Wow, I didn’t know so many folks had the same issues! Mine is a pinched nerve that came on seven or eight years ago when I went horseback riding and accidentally sat crooked in the saddle. Unfortunately, the nerve that’s pinched is the sciatic one. On a daily basis, it doesn’t even hurt, but I woke up this morning barely able to walk, it hurt so badly. And I had gone to bed without pain! And guess what. Today has been rainy. I think that nerve can tell when rain’s in the area!

by Steph on Aug 21, 2010 at 8:50 pm

84. Hello I have muscular dystrophy and I can tell when is going to rain because my muscles tighten up and my legs start to ache and when it is very cold out my body can’t take it.

by wenda hines on Aug 5, 2010 at 4:23 pm

85. Absolutely true! I can tell people 2 days before bad weather hits as well as tell them 24 hours in advance of good weather coming! I don’t appreciate the aches and pains, but it’s fun to watch unbelievers come back time and time again saying, “You were right! How do you do it? I can’t believe it rained when you said it would!”

by Vicki on Jul 7, 2010 at 9:32 pm

86. Living in high elevations is it good for people with chronic pain (fibromyalgia) & (arthritis) .

by Laura on Jun 10, 2010 at 2:49 pm

87. Wow, there are alot of other sufferers out there! I use a moist heating pad(half a Body Length) and Yoga. This is the only way I can even stand the pain. Also, keep active even though it’s hard.

by Linda on Jun 7, 2010 at 12:23 pm

88. My body aches during storms and cloudy weather. But as odd as it may sound, I have a grand mal seizure ever late fall and early spring. Within the next 24 hrs. the change of season officially begins. I also get extremely fatigue and depressed during the dark cloudy days. When the suns out I’m energetic and happy. I live in the four season changes. My sister suffers migraines during all this stormy weather and season change.

by Carol on Jun 5, 2010 at 3:52 pm

89. I had a broken wrist last year and all through the winter it predicted when there was going to be a storm. Now that it is spring, my wrist keeps me up at night when we have rainy weather.

by Helen on May 21, 2010 at 7:51 pm

90. I can tell a change in the weather from my sinuses. I get stuffed up and sneeze a lot before storms move in.

by J.R. on May 20, 2010 at 12:43 am

91. I too, sffer from Fibromyalgia and know days ahead when a storm is coming! Kind of like today.

by Audre on May 7, 2010 at 4:41 pm

92. i have fibromyagia and everytime it’s gonna rain my neck hurts bad it is the only time my neck is ever sore.

by sheree on May 4, 2010 at 11:03 am

93. I can definately say this is true. I live in South Portland Maine, right on the water. And cold, damp, rainy days makes my arthritis hurt something terrible. I ache in my hands very badly also. I don’t have arthritis in my hands, but have Raynaud’s syndrome, which leaves the hands pretty much useless in this kind of weather.

by morgan68 on Apr 30, 2010 at 12:38 pm

94. I can definitely tell a weather change by various parts of my body. I have osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and fibromyalgia and there is excruciating pain that I feel when there is a storm coming either rain, cold or whatever, and my body announces it before I ever hear a weather report.

by Dee on Apr 29, 2010 at 9:57 am

95. I get very bad headaches just before it rains or storms any change in the air and i get a headache but as soon as it starts raining it goes away

by stella on Apr 29, 2010 at 3:30 am

96. I am totally with Dakota I also suffer from Fibromyalgia and also OstoArthritus so when the barametric pressure changes..my body picks up on it and I am in agony..I can tell the weather before I raise my head of the pillow in the morning. So I am also a big believer in the weather effecting our bodies for sure.

by Cindy on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:58 pm

97. I can SO relate to this topic! I’ve suffered from chronic depression for more than 20 years, and now I have arthritis as well. Even with my regular medication, I feel the onset of cold, wet weather in my body long before it arrives. Even a stretch of wet weather in the springtime, though not so cold, will set off body aches.

by Cynthia on Apr 28, 2010 at 2:02 pm

98. I’ve had hearing loss for at least the last 10 years and I’m now wearing probably my 5th pair of hearing aids. Even with these my hearing can be good one day and bad the next. I’ve suspected that changes in the atmospheric pressure could have something to do with this. Am I crazy?

by sylvia on Apr 28, 2010 at 12:45 pm

99. I can swear by how my sciatic makes itself known when it is going to rain. I have had 2 back surgeries which left me with chronic sciatic. I have learned to live with it and actually push it to the back of my mind and it seldom makes me aware of it unless it is going to rain and then it hurts all the way down my leg.
    The sky can be clear and sunny but if my sciatic gets worse then I know it is going to rain and it always does. Never fails. Has been this for 15 years.

by Marie on Apr 28, 2010 at 10:41 am

100. I believe in the increased pain when the wheather gets bad. I suffer from Fibromyalgia and when the wheather gets cold or wet and dreary my pain gets much worse. Somedays I cant even get out of my bed. My boss knows when the wheather gets bad that I might be calling in to take the day off. I not only believe in the increased pain, I know there is increased pain.

by Dakota on Apr 28, 2010 at 10:22 am

101. I agree. I thought it was silly or an old wives’ tale, until I broke my leg in 5 places. It’s been about 2.5 years and I still can tell if we’re having a cold front or it’s going to storm. It feels different depending on the coming weather too. Sometimes it may be pressure affecting my nerve endings. Sometimes the swelling in my leg is different, which I think is partially barometric pressure, partially humidity. And if it’s going to rain a lot and finally starts raining, it’s like there is instant relief in my leg.

by Andrea on Apr 28, 2010 at 10:07 am

102. I always get a stiff muscles before a rain storm. I think this is because muscles have a lot of water in them, they are affected by the change in barometric pressure. Blood vessels also expand making vericose veins ache more during low barometric pressure too. On high pressure days, I feel great–and its not just the sunshine.

by PatFay on Apr 28, 2010 at 9:51 am

103. I believe you Terri, as I get incredible headaches (not sure if they can be classified as official migraines, but they are painful nonetheless) every time it is going to snow, especially at the onset of winter and they become less severe as the winter wears on perhaps because my body finally adjusts to the changes in the weather…now that you mention it, I also sometimes get bad headaches as well in hot weather and also rainy weather, especially if it is very humid – in fact, my head hurts in humid conditions such as around enclosed swimming pools…hang in there – I’m sorry to hear that someone suffers so much…migraines are very debilitating and even after the head pain subsides, you still feel worn out, tired and queasy sometimes for days afterward…

by Tracey on Apr 28, 2010 at 9:44 am

104. I totally believe this is true. I had a very bad fall last year and injured the entire right side of my body. I now sport some hardware and everytime it gets cold or it is going to rain I can barely walk. Ha ha ha! I remember being young and hearing my Grandmother say thinks like “It is going to rain, I can feel it in my bones”. I always thought she was making that up, but then it would rain. Now that I have experienced it I think it is true. I wonder what the best cure is, A heating pad? Moving to Arizona? Laying in the warm sand in Hawaii? I like the last idea the best!

by Maryellen on Apr 28, 2010 at 9:18 am

105. I am a chronic migraine sufferer. I can tell when a storm is coming a day before it is predicted because of the barometer pressure change. I can also tell when it is going to be extremely hot due to the same thing. Some ppl do not believe in it but I suffer with a migraine before the storm hits and after the storm hits. While the storm is going on (rain, sleet, snow or whatever) I am fine. I sometimes suffer throughout the storm and that means I end up receiving a shot of pain killer and stomach settling medication as I am usually physically ill.

by Terri on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:44 am