Waning Crescent

Top Ten Rainiest Cities In April

Top Ten Rainiest Cities In April

April showers may bring spring flowers, but for some towns, they also bring a lot of water! The Farmers’ Almanac predicted a stormy spring this year (get April and May’s weather outlook here). But for some cities, a lot of rain is not a surprise.

Check out our list that we compiled from statistics from NOAA on average rainfall for April for the past 30 years. These towns earn the privilege to complain about April Showers!

Top Ten Rainiest Cities in April

1. Hilo, Hi – 12.54 inches

2. Yakutat, AK – 10.80 inches

3. Mt. Washington, NH – 8.43 inches

4. Quillayute, WA – 7.44 inches

5. Annette, AK – 7.37 inches

6. Jackson, MS – 5.98 inches

7. Memphis, TN – 5.79 inches

8. Meridan, MS – 5.62 inches

9. Baton Rouge, LA – 5.56 inches

10. Kodiak, AK- 5.48 inches

How has the rainy season been in your town? Share your weather observations here. And be sure to check out our favorite ways to spend a rainy day here.

1 cerridwen { 08.17.11 at 9:16 am }

Salem, Oregon. Rain, rain, rain and more rain….We are finally having summer weather and yes, it rains more in Salem than in Wales, UK. I MISS THE SUN IN CAL.

2 Fred Schmidt { 04.15.11 at 9:50 am }

We’ve had so much rain in the Sacramento area this year, I thought I was in Seattle!

3 yoya { 04.13.11 at 8:07 pm }

I am from Pheonix Arizona, lived in Spokane Wa. For years then moved to Seattle area. There is a HUGE difference in the rainfall! It is so depressing, it has almost rained for almost 40 days in a row, I need some sunshine!!!!!!

4 april { 04.12.11 at 12:41 pm }

I live in Southern Ohio and here the ground is saturated. We have gotten about 3-4 inches of rain in the last 3 days.

5 Bob Herndon { 05.09.10 at 5:00 pm }

I believe Nashville will come near the top on your May list. (Depending on which surrounding area, from 12 to 18 inches).

6 Kenneth { 04.25.10 at 2:54 pm }

I was born and reared in the country. My mother always said if the chickens come out in the rain, It’s going to rain all day. My mother only went to the 5th grade, but had more common sense than any city slicker.

7 kcwand { 04.21.10 at 7:02 pm }

I live just north of Seattle – we really don’t get a lot of rain, it just mists all the time. The trade off is that everything is green – that’s why we are the Emerald City.

8 jeffrey { 04.21.10 at 2:29 pm }

i would have thought at least San Francisco would be on the list

9 francesca { 04.21.10 at 2:19 pm }

I wanted to move to beautiful Seattle from Long Island, NY but I know I wouldn’t be able to tolerate the rain and grayness. But otherwise, I think it’s the most beautiful place with the nicest people.

10 B in the PNW { 04.21.10 at 12:38 pm }

Sue you moved from AK to Seattle to dry off!
I grew up in AK, the interior and it was dryer then Seattle unless you count snow.

I lived in MI for 20 years now live in the Seattle area and the rain here drives me nuts.

11 Phyllis { 04.21.10 at 10:16 am }

The east coast had a very wet and snowy winter. Going to rain today.clear tomorrow then 5 days of more rain…..but we can sure use it!! also really chilly!!

12 Gail in Tahoe { 04.21.10 at 10:01 am }

Woke up to snow this morning, one long winter!

13 Joan in San Jose { 04.21.10 at 9:53 am }

After several years of drought in Northern California, this year has exceeded normal rainfall. Normally we’d be pretty dry by now, but it rained yesterday and will rain today, and next week. Also, there are snow warnings in Lake Tahoe.

14 Sue in Seattle { 04.21.10 at 9:35 am }

My family moved down to Seattle from Alaska to warm and DRY OFF.
Seattle’s weather is mild and dry compared to many other US cities.

15 Beverly { 04.21.10 at 9:04 am }

I live in the Pacific Northwest. I always thought Seattle and Portland got the most rain.

16 ron4bama2009 { 04.21.10 at 8:58 am }

It has been extremely dry in the southwest Franklin County area!