Waning Crescent

The 2017 Farmers Almanac

Grow Your Own Lemon Tree From Lemon Seeds

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Add to Google+ Share on Pinterest Subscribe by Email Print This Post
Grow Your Own Lemon Tree From Lemon Seeds

How easy it to grow a lemon tree? Save some seeds and find out! During the winter months, these abundant fruit trees can grow indoors, and will produce beautiful blooms which will make the house fragrant.

First, make sure the seeds you use are from organic lemons (non-organic lemons often contain non-sprouting seeds). Then, a little potting soil, some compost, a planting pot, a seedling pot, and sunny indoor location are you need to complete the picture. Just follow these easy steps:

Step 1. Moisten the soil so that it is damp all the way through, and then fill the planting pot to about an inch below the rim.

Step 2. Cut open your lemon and remove a seed. The best way to clean it? Simply suck on it, but do not let it dry — the seed must remain moist when it’s buried.

Step 3. Plant it about half an inch down in the middle of the pot, and then seal the soil directly above it with a light spray of water.

Step 4. Cover the pot with clear plastic wrap, seal the edges, and poke small holes in the top before placing it in direct sunlight. (Remember to keep hydrating. Never let the soil dry out, but don’t spray too heavily, either.)

About two weeks later, a seedling will emerge. Take the plastic covering off, but continue to keep the soil damp. Make sure the young plant gets eight full hours of light per day and interment doses of organic fertilizer as needed.

When the plant outgrows its planting pot, put it in the seedling pot and make sure to repeat the steps above. Older plants need less water than their younger counterparts but do keep the soil moist and fertilized nonetheless.

After their third year, healthy lemon trees begin to produce fruit. One that happens, a tree can yield a harvest consistently every year under the right climate and soil conditions. After a tree stars blossoming, it takes 4-12 months before a harvest, which usually takes place between summer and winter.

Once you have lemons, be sure you use them in some of our winning lemon recipes!

Articles you might also like...

1 Leroy Belcon { 03.07.17 at 6:00 pm }

My.fathef and ancestors did gardening following the moon calendar to the letter .
I would much appreciate you advice for me to plant my citrus and other fruit trees here in Spring-Texas -77373
Thanks
Leroy

2 Lori { 02.27.17 at 4:18 pm }

I have a grapefruit tree that my Mom started at least 20 years ago that has never bloomed. I bring it in every winter and I thought it may need to be cross pollinated by another tree. Is this true, and also true for lemons? But I guess it would have to bloom first…

3 Susan Higgins { 02.23.17 at 1:28 pm }

Hi Don Whitt, Wow, that’s incredible. Thank you for sharing the story with us! We’d love to see a picture sometime!

4 Don Whitt { 02.22.17 at 8:25 pm }

I got my lemon tree in the mail, a twig sent from a nursery house. That was 43 years ago. As it grew bigger, I kept putting it in bigger pots until at last it was in a 30 gal. garbage can. I had nowhere else to go but in the ground with it. I made a 9 ft. high dome greenhouse for it, with electric heat. It has withstood winters here in North Alabama down to 2 degrees F. This year it yielded 572 huge lemons. It has over 500 lemons every Dec.- Jan. picking season. I really enjoy picking lemons.

5 Sandi Smith { 02.22.17 at 5:10 pm }

My mom grew several seedlings from a lemon. One she wound up planting outside her Soddy Daisy Tennessee home. Even though we get snow some years and winter is always cold, that tree grew over ten feet tall. It took a few years, but it finally yielded a clothes basket full of very large fruit. The really bad freeze of a couple years ago finally killed that old thorny tree, but it was good while it lasted.

6 Laura Allen { 02.22.17 at 3:50 pm }

Most citrus trees are grafted though, right?
So if you do this, you’ll be growing the less hardy fruiting stock without the benefit of the base stock it was grafted into.

7 Jo Hughes { 02.22.17 at 9:43 am }

I have grown several trees from seed but none of them have produced fruit. They are at least 4-5 years old. What am I doing wrong. Some of the trees are 10 feet tall.

8 Nancy Skipper { 02.22.17 at 9:10 am }

A footnote: I live in Western NC, so my Key Limes didn’t get the warmth & sun they are accustomed to in the Keys!

9 Nancy Skipper { 02.22.17 at 9:08 am }

I haven’t grown lemons befor, but I did grow a couple Key Limes from fruit seeds I got in Key Largo, Florida. It took about 2-3 years before I ever got blooms, and the first year I got a ‘bumper crop’ of about 8 Key Limes. After that the fruit yield decreased substancially each year, The trees were thorny also, but after the 2nd or 3rd year I clipped the thorns with nail clippers. When the thorns are young & tender you can pinch them off with your fingernails! I may try to grow a lemon tree this year. Thanks for the article!

10 Sherri Nicol { 02.22.17 at 8:50 am }

I agree with Kay (above). I planted seeds and finally after many years I have two lovely 5 1/2 – 6 foot tall trees. They are really nice trees, and we keep them in large pots outdoors in the spring and summer, and bring them in the basement in the winter. The trees are probably 11+ years old, and JUST this past summer, one of them produced two teeny-tiny green baby lemons. The lemons never really grew much over the summer and warmer part of the fall, so this winter we brought the trees in again and the two lemons are turning yellowish a bit, but haven’t really grown much. And like Kay above, my trees are SUPER thorny. Very hard to move around without getting stuck. I don’t think I’ll ever stop buying lemons at the grocery store, at this rate.

11 Kay { 02.22.17 at 7:03 am }

I did this years ago and it actually took about 17 years before my grocery store lemon tree finally decided it was going to blossom and produce fruit. Last summer was the first time it ever bloomed but the fruit I got off the tree was so good! Probably the most flavorful lemons I have ever had. Be very aware that a home grown lemon tree is also very thorny!
Just be patient for your results. I live on thew Texas Gulf Coast near Galveston in Zone 9. Hope this info is helpful to someone.

If you notice a hole in the upper left-hand corner of your Farmers' Almanac, don't return it to the store! That hole isn't a defect; it's a part of history. Starting with the first edition of the Farmers' Almanac in 1818, readers used to nail holes into the corners to hang it up in their homes, barns, and outhouses (to provide both reading material and toilet paper). In 1919, the Almanac's publishers began pre-drilling holes in the corners to make it even easier for readers to keep all of that invaluable information (and paper) handy.

Spring Is Here – Sign Up Today!

The Farmers' Almanac is a gardener's best friend. Get 365 days of access to our online weather and gardening calendars + a copy of the 2017 Almanac
for only $13.99 $11.99!