Waxing Gibbous

Household Mysteries Solved: The Missing Sock

Household Mysteries Solved: The Missing Sock

Many people believe that socks get lost in the clothes dryer. When a washing machine repairman visited my home a few years ago, I heard a different theory. Socks, he said, sometimes get wrapped around the agitator’s support rod at the bottom of the washing machine.

So how do you keep your socks from entering the Bermuda Triangle of hosiery? The repairman told me to place the socks on top of the laundry load so they won’t get pushed down by the other clothing (put the largest pieces on the bottom). I’ve also found that it helps to fold the top of one sock of a pair into the open end of the other before washing. Some people also launder socks in mesh bags, or clip the socks together.

If you suffer from the Missing Sock Syndrome (MSS), you may want to try any of these methods.

1 Tessa Jennings { 06.15.14 at 4:00 pm }

I discovered the answer to the lost sock mystery. They all turn into dryer sheets. Ever notice how you put ONE dryer sheet in, but 5 come out? Pretty weird!

2 Ali { 03.30.12 at 5:39 pm }

Ours have never gotten stuck in the washer, not to my knowledge…thanks, this is news to me…..I do often find them the under beds, however.

3 Nicole { 03.28.12 at 10:28 am }

Wasted socks? never. mismatched socks that are around too long are awesome for dusting!

4 NORMA KATY DITMORE { 03.25.12 at 11:01 am }

MY FATHER IN LAW OF MORE THAN 45 YEARS…ALWAYS ADVISED….BUY ONLY BLACK OR WHITE SOCKS….LEAVE THEM LOOSE IN A DRAWER…..THEN U COULD PICK UP THREE…..AND HAVE A MATCH ! ! ! THIS HAS WORKED FOR MEE AND MY HUBBY FOR 56 YEARS…NOW, WHAT IS THE NEXT ” HOUSEHOLD MYSTERY ” ?

5 Christie Gill { 03.22.12 at 11:32 am }

Kathi, Please come get your socks, they keep showing up on my doorstep, hungry.

6 kevininjackson { 03.17.12 at 9:54 am }

Wire hangers huh? I wondered about that. It seemed i would take them all to goodwill and when i got home and looked in the closet there were more. But, they always showed back up in pairs. Go figure…

7 les schwartz { 03.14.12 at 9:23 am }

I was sure socks turned into wire hangers.

8 Kathi Harris { 03.13.12 at 10:48 am }

You people have it all wrong.
Where do you think kittens and puppies come from??? That’s right…all the socks that disappeared in the laundry are magically transformed into puppies and kitties. True Fact…lol!

9 Stephanie { 03.12.12 at 11:20 am }

I just buy all the same black socks so they can easily match each other :) Boring but it makes putting away socks a whole lot easier.

10 Christa { 03.12.12 at 10:14 am }

I always have at least 4 socks in every load that end up without a match!

11 Barb Grooms { 03.12.12 at 9:50 am }

I am SO glad that the “style that the cool kids wear” are mismatched socks! They don’t match at all. You can even buy them that way… What a fabulous idea!

12 Kathleen McCue { 03.12.12 at 8:35 am }

Ah, so that is where I have lost all my socks! This past winter I think I lost 5-6 socks which means I now have 5-6 matchers which are useless; which means 5-6 pairs of socks are now wasted-BAD! I knew I was losing them in the washer as I would see them go in, but then could not find them at the end of the wash. And, I do have a sock net-I am going to start using it!