Waning Gibbous

The 2015 Farmers Almanac

The Meaning of Flowers

The Meaning of Flowers

A bouquet of flowers can mean many things on many different occasions. Most of the time, flowers are given as gestures from the heart, as a gift to say: “I’m thinking of you,” “Congratulations,” “Get better,” and of course “I love you.”

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, we thought we’d share a list of some of the accepted meaning of flowers. It seems that the variety of meanings each flower has is almost as diverse as the varieties of flowers you can choose from. Here are some of the meanings we found for various flowers… you might want to make sure your bouquet says the right thing.

BABY’S BREATH: Innocence.

CACTUS: Endurance.

CALENDULA: Jealousy.

CALLA LILY: Great beauty.

CARNATION: Fascination, distinction, divine love/

CARNATION, PINK: A woman’s love, I’ll never forget you, mother’s love.

CARNATION, RED: Admiration, my heart aches for you, fascination.

CARNATION, STRIPED: Refusal, No, I can’t be with you.

CARNATION, WHITE: Innocence, faithfulness, sweet and lovely, pure love, good luck.

CARNATION, YELLOW: You have disappointed me.

DAFFODIL: Warm welcome.

DAFFODIL, SEVERAL: Joy, happiness.

DAISY: Innocence, loyal love.

FORGET-ME-NOT: True love, hope, remembrance, memories.

GARDENIA: You’re lovely, secret love, good luck.

HONEYSUCKLE: Bonds of love.

HYDRANGEA: Thank you for understanding.

IRIS: Wisdom, your friendship means so much to me.

IVY: Fidelity, wedded love, friendship, affection, marriage.

LAVENDER: Devotion.

ORCHID: Rare beauty, love.

PRIMROSE: I can’t live without you.

ROSE: Love, passion, perfection.

ROSE, BURGUNDY: Beauty within.

ROSE, CORAL: Desire.

ROSE, LAVENDER: Love at first sight, enchantment.

ROSE, ORANGE: Fascination, display feeling of enthusiasm.

ROSE, PEACH: Desire, gratitude.

ROSE, PINK: Happiness, gratitude, admiration, friendship, sympathy.

ROSE, DARK PINK: Thankfulness.

ROSE, LIGHT PINK: Grace, gladness, joy, perfect happiness, please believe me, gratitude, admiration, gentility.

ROSE, RED: Love, passion, respect, courage.

ROSE, SINGLE, FULL BLOOM: I love you, I still love you, new love.

ROSE, BUD, SMALL: Pure and lovely, beauty and youth, a heart innocent of love.

ROSE, THORNLESS: Love at first sight.

ROSE, WHITE: Innocence, purity, secrecy, friendship.

ROSE, YELLOW: Joy, friendship, true love, decrease of
love, jealous.

VIOLET: Modesty, faithfulness, innocence, understated beauty.

1 Giving Flowers? Here’s a List of What Each One Means { 09.04.15 at 3:23 pm }

[…] The Meaning of Flowers – Farmers’ Almanac Want to send the right flower for the right occasion? A red rose means love, but what about a white one? […]

2 Susan Higgins { 09.03.15 at 11:57 am }

Hi Lynn Bailey, we recently published a story on Glads on facebook but here it is:

3 Pat { 08.31.15 at 11:02 am }

You forgot Lily Of The Valley! I grew them in my backyard, Thank you!

4 Lynn Bailey { 08.30.15 at 7:17 pm }

Oodles of appreciation for this! Any idea about ‘Gladiolas”? ( I call it the flower that keeps on giving)

5 Cathy { 02.08.15 at 9:06 pm }

People always thought I was nuts when told them flowers had meanings. I love proof, thank you.

6 JOYCE D. CARROLL { 02.08.15 at 2:11 pm }

Thanks for the meaning of different flowers. It will encourage me to send flowers with a message.

7 Carol Angel { 02.08.15 at 8:17 am }

Means alot to know the meanings, Thank You.❤

8 Debora Walters { 02.07.15 at 3:00 pm }

great to know the meanings of flowers

9 Debora Walters { 02.07.15 at 2:59 pm }

Have been in the floral industry before would love your news letter

10 Glenda { 02.07.15 at 2:18 pm }

I just want to tell you how much I enjoy and learn from Farmers Almanac and everyone likes it when I share your articles. Thank you !