Waning Crescent

Medicinal Mint: A Refreshing Remedy

Medicinal Mint: A Refreshing Remedy

Mint is a fantastic flavor in pastries, drinks, soups, salads and more, but did you know it’s also one of the most potent natural remedies around for a whole host of ailments? While you may enjoy it in a milkshake or a mojito, after reading this long list of phenomenal properties, you’ll want to make sure mint has a place of honor in your medicine cabinet. Here’s a look at some of the beneficial uses for this versatile herb:

Aids Digestion:
Eating some fresh mint or drinking mint tea can help to ease heartburn, nausea, abdominal cramps, morning sickness, irritable bowl syndrome, and more. Mint oil can even prevent diarrhea and reduce flatulence.

Eases Respiratory Issues: Chewing on fresh mint can clear out sinuses, relieve sore throats, calm coughs, and even soothe asthma and bronchitis.

Encourages Reproductive Health:
Taking mint extract before and during menstruation can stave off painful cramps.

Heals Wounds:
Mint oil has antiseptic properties and can be used to speed the healing of minor cuts and scrapes.

Promotes Healthy Skin:
Apply mint oil to pimples, skin rashes, sunburn, bug bites, and hemorrhoids to reduce pain, itchiness, and inflammation.

Soothes Aches and Pains:
Rub mint oil over sore muscles and achy joints to help with pain from overexertion, injuries, or arthritis. Rubbing mint oil on your temples can also help soothe headaches, including migraines.

Tames Toothaches:
If you have a cavity, cracked a tooth, or lost a filling, you can ease your suffering until you can get to a dentist by rubbing some mint oil into and around the affected tooth.

Make Your Own Mint Tea
You can buy premade mint tea bags, but it’s also easy to make your own. Just steep freshly-cut mint leaves in hot water for about five minutes and serve.

Make Your Own Mint Oil
For an effective home remedy for the above ailments and more, pick, wash, and dry some fresh mint, and release the oils in the mint with a mallet or a mortar and pestle. Then place the mint in a jar and cover it with a flavorless, odorless carrier oil, such as jojoba or almond oil, and shake to combine. Place the jar in a warm place for 24 hours, then strain the oil through a piece of cheesecloth to remove the mint leaves.

1 Sheila { 07.20.14 at 10:06 pm }

Mint will subsume anything in it’s path. lol. lawns. cows. anything! I have some, but I keep it in a pot. It’s wonderful stuff. (btw, anything with a square stem is in the mint family and therefore potentially invasive.)

2 Mickey McAlpine { 07.20.14 at 4:40 pm }

Than you for a very informative article…

3 lauriem426 { 07.19.14 at 2:50 pm }

Yes mint spreads fast like weeds and will be happy to take over. There are several mint varieties,,so crunch up a leaf and see how it smells,,most likely you have mint in your yard. I purchased my mint plants from Ebay actually,,but amazon and garden websites have it too

4 Jerry Beasley { 07.19.14 at 2:05 pm }

I live in SC, does mint grow wild? Someone told me that I have a lot of it growing in my cow lane. It kind of has a purplish tint to it and if I cut it it has a sweet smell. Afraid to try and eat it don’t want to just eat a weed

5 wmatthias { 07.03.14 at 10:44 am }

Jamie, can I use coconut oil to make the mint oil? I know coco oil solidifies at 75 degrees and lower. Any suggestions on using coco oil to make mint oil?

6 Jaime McLeod { 04.22.14 at 10:39 am }

That sounds like mint, all right, Marsha.

7 Marsha Barney { 04.22.14 at 10:35 am }

I have a type of minty smelling plant in my gardens , does it grow like a weed? spreads all over. Can you help me ?

8 James { 04.14.14 at 11:42 pm }

I see someone was going to lowe’s, remember they sell flowers with pesitcides that kills our bees :)

9 Esther R. { 04.10.14 at 11:31 pm }

Love mint. I grow chocolate, apple, spearmint and pineapple mint.You can get them at a good nursery.

10 Sandy { 04.10.14 at 8:33 pm }

Is spearmint also medicinal or only peppermint?

11 renae harris { 04.10.14 at 7:40 pm }

I have so much mint …thanku for the wonderful post♥♥♥♥♥

12 Mikki { 04.10.14 at 5:47 pm }

Mint leaves can be purchased at most garden centers – they usually have a section with herbs for planting – mint oil most likely would be sold in health food stores

13 Mary Bunk { 04.10.14 at 5:45 pm }

Are there types that are better than others? I’m going to try growing it in the house.

14 Lauranne { 04.10.14 at 10:04 am }

I got my peppermint to plant at my local hardware store. I plan to go to our Lowe’s to try to find some other types.

15 judy { 04.09.14 at 5:36 pm }

Better yet, I remember as a child the stands of mint throughout my parents’ garden. What a delight to go “pick mint” for numerous reasons…..especially to put into ice tea on a warm summer’s eve. Where can mint plants be purchased for starting? It seems to be very scarce.

16 laurie { 04.09.14 at 12:03 pm }

sold in stores, but mint is easy to grow and spreads like wildfire in a sunny garden or pot in a window

17 Nancy Ricks { 04.09.14 at 11:15 am }

Where can i get mint leaves or oil