Full Moon

Natural Remedies for Back Pain

Natural Remedies for Back Pain

Wait! Before reaching for the pain meds, read these research findings. Painkillers known as NSAIDS, which include Ibuprofen and naproxen, were found to double the risk of miscarriage, prior to conception, and up to the 20th week of pregnancy, according to study results reported in the UK’s Daily Mail. Another European study found that senior adults who take aspirin daily are twice as likely to have late-stage macular degeneration (an age-related loss of vision), than those who do not take aspirin. Is it possible to ease pain and avoid dangerous health risks?

Acute or chronic pain isn’t something we can easily ignore. With 80% of the population experiencing back pain at some point in time, it’s no wonder pain issues prompt so many people to seek relief. Pain relief doesn’t have to come (and shouldn’t come) wrapped in a warning label.

Instead, consider these natural alternatives for pain relief:

Cherry juice eases muscle pain and relieves inflammation associated with fibromyalgia, arthritis and heart disease. In a study, runners drinking 100% Montmorency cherry juice before and during exercise reported less muscle pain than athletes drinking another fruit juice.

Ginger has long been used as a culinary spice and as a natural remedy for relieving nausea and motion sickness. Ginger has recently been found to relieve joint and muscle pain as well. University of Georgia researchers found that taking two grams of ginger daily can reduce pain caused by exercise or other physical activity by as much as 25%. Ginger works naturally as an anti-inflammatory and is reported to be as effective in relieving the pain of arthritis as ibuprofen or aspirin without the dangerous side effects.

Curcumin gives the curry spice, turmeric its bright yellow color. It is found to relieve painful, inflammatory conditions associated with arthritis and tendinitis. While Curcumin doesn’t cure these illnesses, study results show that it effectively reduces pain and inflammation.

Eat These Foods
Consuming foods known to fight inflammation may reduce swelling in the body and ease joint pain. Consider adding these whole foods to your diet: pineapple and cherries, green tea, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, ginger, dark chocolate with 70% or more cocoa, salmon and other Omega 3-rich fish, and nuts: almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts and sunflower seeds.

Chiropractic Care for Pain Relief and Good Health
Consumer Reports‘ alternative treatment survey of 45,601 people, found chiropractic outperformed all other alternative therapies for back and neck pain relief!

Better yet, the benefits of chiropractic extend beyond pain relief. Chiropractic addresses the cause of pain instead of numbing symptoms. Chiropractic care improves spine and nerve function, which enables your body to heal naturally from the inside out. You gain better joint mobility and range of motion, improved health and quality of life!

1 Natural Remedies for Back Pain - Farmers' Almanac - Diseases of this age { 07.10.14 at 4:10 am }

[…] See the original post: Natural Remedies for Back Pain – Farmers' Almanac […]

2 WILLIAM OTOOLE { 05.01.14 at 7:24 pm }

Having had back pain myself over the last few years and feeling it gradually get worse.. Age related I suspect! I was talking to my friend Andy the other day and he suggested I try something called Power strips? Has anyone heard of them?

3 Holly Jewkes { 11.20.13 at 1:03 am }

Great article. As a massage therapist, and also having had a car accident a few years ago, ginger and tumeric have and continue to play a big part in my daily routine for their amazing anti-inflammatory properties helping with pain management and improving joint health. I like to make a tea out of the roots of ginger and tumeric, then you don’t have to deal with the powder. Although I do make one with the powder that I like as well, using almond milk and honey and wisking it.

4 WINNIFRED CARTER { 11.12.13 at 2:41 am }

HOORAH! MY CHIROPRACTOR, GARY LAARKIN IN GUAM, IS A TRUE HEALER! I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A SKEPTIC UNTIL NOW. I HAD CHRONIC LOWER BACK PAIN UNTIL I SOUGHT HIS HELP. I HAVE ALSO HAD COMPLETE FLEXIBILITY RESTORED TO MY KNEE WITHOUT PHYSICAL THERAPY AS WELL AS AVOIDED SURGERY IN THE HEALING OF ADHESIONS!

5 Louise { 11.11.13 at 8:59 pm }

I went to a chiropractor and he said that he does not recommend chiropractic services for me (C5 & C6, my neck has no bend in it), only physical therapy in the way of weightlifting (the muscles will hold the disks where they need to be). I would use more turmeric if I could figure out how to keep it from floating on top of liquids such as tea….

6 Dee { 11.10.13 at 11:12 pm }

I would like to add that THERAPEUTIC MASSAGE is a scientifically proven remedy for back pain.

7 Nancy Lewellen { 11.10.13 at 4:31 pm }

I Have atteded yoga classes, never had any type of religion pushed on me it was relaxation meditation and stretching. Meditation can consist of prayer to what ever religious belief you have. No one ever tried to make me into a Buddist. It is simply for the most part relaxation with low impact stretching. Bought a great book years ago it was Yoga for those over 50. You can do it in your own living room with only doing the stretches you feel comfortable with. It also makes you more supple and makes you more move easier. Just don’t over do as you start out.

8 ALEX4132 { 11.10.13 at 1:47 pm }

IF I HAVE HIPOTYROIDISM THAT IN TERM MY DOCTOR CLAIMS IS AFFECTING ME WITH BACK PAIN, IS THERE SOMETHING OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP MY PAIN WHILE MY DOCTOR GET MY TYROID BACK TO A MORE NORMAL STATE? MY E-MAIL IS :ALEX4132@AOL.COM….HELP PLEASE.

9 Mimi { 11.10.13 at 1:28 pm }

I have severe back problems due to an injury many years ago. I can tell you with all honesty that taking 4 capsules of Ginger in the am and 4 in the pm will help more than you can imagine. I also have fibromyalgia and it has tremendously helped this as well. I am taking no other meds now except for my thyroid medication, and since I have no thyroid, this is a must.
But all the other crap the doctor put me on has been eliminated! Praise God!

10 Dwayne { 11.09.13 at 1:27 am }

I have had terrible (crippling) low back pain and sciatica. The twitter inversion chair was the best $300. I’ve ever spent. I bought mine 7 years ago. A great piece of equipment in quality and utility. Just finished hanging from heels a few minutes ago. It really helps!

But! ****If you already have had back or neck surgery you can’t use this device!*****

Good luck to all who suffer.

11 Ali { 11.07.13 at 10:10 am }

Vicky, would have loved to refer you to my dad, who was one of the old time chiropractors way back when, passed on now…as he was the only one who could properly work on my back.

12 Sillisa { 11.06.13 at 11:58 pm }

I have degenerative disc disease and sciatica. Why has no one mentioned PHYSICAL THERAPY?! It takes care of my back pain for a long time. Of course, it includes acupuncture and the occasional adjustment like at the chiropractor but mostly it’s the movement and exercises. I do my exercises at home too. Am going to try the cherry juice and pineapples are on sale!

I

13 KMarie { 11.06.13 at 7:35 pm }

I am 50 years old and I have degenerative disc disease from C4-C7 on my neck. I did go through physical therapy which made matters worse, some pain therapy treatments with steroids from a doctor, who said I have one of the worse cases he has seen. I might consider a chiropractor (I went with my parents to one, as a child) but who also has a degree in sports medicine.
My paint therapy doctor gave me various stretching exercises which really have been keeping me feeling ok. Not a 100% but maybe I need to accept that nothing is going to cure this 100%. And I cannot do yoga, as the Buddhist do and have always done, it is against my Religion to honor that.
And I do not take medicine.
S-t-r-e-t-c-h
Best :-)

14 Vicki Harris { 11.06.13 at 6:03 pm }

For many years, I swore by Chiropractors (from 1945 ) due to a severe back problem that would stop me from moving when I ” threw it out ” . However, after my last chiropractor, Dr. Baker , retired many years ago; I have been unable to find a TRUE chiropractor who truly wants to STOP the current problem ! All I have seen, fool around a little bit, and then want you coming back for trip after trip after trip, and your back is STILL giving you trouble . If you can find me an old time ,reliable chiropractor who knows how to put the spine back in place, and true to his job, like the old-timers, I would gladly get back to using them. Meantime, I live on pain medication.

15 Electric Cat { 11.06.13 at 1:46 pm }

I’ve had hip replaced, fibromyalgia since 1999. Have never found any alternative supplements that have helped as much as prescription meds which work pretty good. But still doesn’t cover the pain entirely. Don’t waste your money hoping some herb, food item will help. But still eat well & exercise a little bit everyday. – Moderation is a good word to remember.

16 Ali { 11.06.13 at 12:08 pm }

Yay for turmeric!

17 Deborah Lee { 11.06.13 at 11:32 am }

Contrary to popular opinion, many herbal remedies DO have side effects. Both ginger and turmeric can cause an irregular heartbeat when taken in high doses which is what happened to me. Yes, they did work on the pain, but the side effect was not one I could live with. Some years ago, I took classes on herbal remedies, and the fact that herbs can cause side effects and adverse reactions and interact with other medications was greatly stressed. Even homeopathic remedies can be dangerous if one is allergic to what it is made from or if their is an interaction.

18 Henrietta { 11.06.13 at 11:00 am }

I totally agree. If I can eat my pain relief as opposed to swallowing in pill form I am all for it. I also do gentle Yoga. Gaiam.com have great vids on Yoga but I bought my at Walmart. I like Warrior One by Trudy Styler.

19 Jane { 11.06.13 at 10:43 am }

I am in 70′s and have gotten rid of a lot of my back/neck pain by doing yoga. It is gentle on the body. It takes a while to get into all the moves (don’t give up) but it is well worth it. There are beginner groups and most are not expensive to join. Hope it helps.

20 Phyllis H { 11.06.13 at 10:07 am }

I have chronic pain from spinal stenosis, bad disc, arthritis everywhere! I cannot take pain pills because of the adverse affect they have on my system. I get acupuncture treatments 2 X month and that is the only thing that gives me relief. Do not ever get epidurals because they only provide relief for a few months and the weight gain is horrible.

21 HushyBea { 11.05.13 at 8:26 am }

I am 51 years old and consider myself a moderately active adult. I am overweight but working on it with diet and exercise. I have degenerative disc disease and ostioarthritis. I try very hard not to take pain medication but nothing I have tried so far helps with the pain. I have tried laser therapy and chiropractic therapy but because it costs so much and I am on a limited budget I have been unable to continue with it. I will try the juices and spices you have suggested and hope that they might help. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.