Waxing Crescent

Can Coffee Be Good For You?

Can Coffee Be Good For You?

Do you start the day with a hot cup of java? If so, you’re among millions who do. For years, coffee has been branded as a bad guy in the beverage family. Does this drink deserve its bad reputation? The latest studies may prompt you to raise a mug and cheer.

Benefits: Did you know that coffee is a very important source of antioxidants in our diets? Coffee provides more antioxidants than anything else, because coffee is consumed more frequently than any other source of antioxidants. Caffeine, another important compound in coffee, induces the production of certain enzymes that help neutralize some potential cancer-causing substances in the body. Drip coffeemakers yield more caffeine per cup than other brewing methods, including espresso.

Heart Disease. Men who drank more than five cups of coffee a day reduced their risk of developing heart disease by 44 percent. Women who drank four to five cups each day lowered their risk by 34 percent.

Dementia and Memory. Those drinking three to five cups of coffee a day during middle age can decrease the chance of dementia up to 65 percent. “Caffeine grows brain cells in the areas of the brain responsible for long-term memory,” state authors Bennett Alan Weinberg and Bonnie K. Bealer in The Caffeine Advantage. Caffeine increases short-term memory, concentration, and the ability to think clearly.

Diabetes. Drinking six or more cups of coffee daily reduces the risk of Type 2 diabetes by 54 percent in men and 30 percent in women.

Lung Health and Asthma Relief. The chemical makeup of the caffeine in coffee can give the same effect as the asthma drug, theophylline. Caffeine helps expand air passages and keeps the respiratory muscles strong. Drinking two cups of coffee can help you breathe better for up to four hours.

And the list goes on … To read more benefits of moderate coffee drinking, pick up a copy of the 2012 Farmers’ Almanac!

1 Amy { 07.18.14 at 11:46 am }

Sad to read that this excerpt is totally mis-leading. I really trusted Farmers Almanac to be more responsible than this.

2 Tony Temple { 07.17.14 at 12:32 pm }

If you would like to have a choice to drink an alkaline base coffee with no acid contact me and I will show you how to get some…. My website is tonytemple.myorganogold.com

3 Jaime McLeod { 02.03.12 at 4:03 pm }

Hi Merry,
As noted to a previous commenter, this story is an excerpt from something published in the 2012 Farmers’ Almanac, which does share the negatives. You can read the full article there.

4 Merry Winter { 02.03.12 at 1:34 pm }

good to hear but we need to know the negative side as well in order to make informed choices..balanced reporting helps in the sea of misimformation we deal with in the media.

5 Steve Shirkey { 02.03.12 at 11:50 am }

With as much coffee as I drink, being a truck driver for 30 plus years, if it was that bad I should be dead! Everything is bad if you listen to the wrong people. But I say, “thanks Juan Valdez!” :)

6 Harmit { 11.05.11 at 9:06 am }

Coffee is a poison and it is in the same family of drugs as Cocaine. Cocaine has “health benefits too, it gives you energy and makes you more alert, but you don’t see it being recommended, so why coffee? Coffee and Cocaine are both neurotoxic substances. Cocaine used to be an ingredient in Coca cola, but was later replaced by its cousin, Caffeine. The body has no need for Coffee/Caffeine and you can easily get your antioxidants from other sources. The author of this article, Deborah Tukua, obviously has no understanding of how the human body works and it is unfortunate that Farmers’ Almanac would allow such half truth articles to be published. I urge you all to do your own research rather than accepting an opinion of someone who isn’t even medically qualified. I recommend you research Dr. Batmanghelidj. He has carried out in depth studies on caffeine and how it is making us more stupid because it suppresses the enzymes in the brain that is related to memory making. Stay healthy. Peace.

7 Diane Pilon { 10.13.11 at 11:05 am }

I enjoyed your subject on coffee ,as I “m asthmatic&COPD was told
coffee was bad for me, you made my day. Thank You
I love reading the almanac very educational & interesting
a canadian from Ont Canada..

8 Jang Dongsoon { 09.22.11 at 10:55 pm }

I d’like to give you small tips about the effect of coffee on health from the popular heritaged knowledge of medicine of far east countries . Yes, coffee will be very good for the problems of the heart disease, blood vessel and tongue, etc. However 3 or more cups of strong coffees every day will make extremely worse in lung disease, pneumonia, hemorrhoid and ear disease, etc. , of course, depending on the constitution and diet habit.

9 ALVIN { 09.12.11 at 7:32 pm }

thanks to farmers almanach i will keep drinking it it;s better than beer for you

10 Jaime McLeod { 09.12.11 at 6:49 am }

Hi Phyllis,
As noted above, this is just an excerpt of an article from the 2012 Farmers’ Almanac. The whole article does talk about some of the negative aspects.

11 Phyllis Poole { 09.11.11 at 10:57 am }

You didn’t mention the downsides of coffee tho’ and to be complete – you should!!!!
It is very acid and having a high acid ph in your body causes a person to be very susceptible to conditions and diseases. Cancer is one!! You can find info about this online. Search acid-alkaline balance. If you like coffee-it’s ok to have some BUT you should balance it out with a high alkaline diet otherwise and get ph strips at the pharmacy to monitor your balance weekly at least.

12 Jan Newman { 09.08.11 at 1:12 pm }

Thanks and am I glad because I like my coffee in the morning only 2 cups Looks like I need to drink more

13 fawnfun { 09.07.11 at 12:08 pm }

I have cheers for this one. My sister and I drink a good bit of coffee.

14 Twilight { 09.07.11 at 11:05 am }

Good to know coffee can and does work for the mind, just need to remember to drink it more often.

15 Allen Dubay { 09.07.11 at 10:39 am }

Thanks.

16 Beverly Wood { 09.06.11 at 9:01 am }

Thank you for having Farmers almanac on fb. Thank you. I sent one message, however, I’m not sure the first message went out. Thank you Beverly