New Moon

10 Ways to Ensure a Bad Start to the Day

10 Ways to Ensure a Bad Start to the Day

Now that September is here and kids are back to school, routines are the norm once again. While we all know that 8 hours of sleep, a good breakfast, and balance in everyday schedules are the keys to a happier, healthier life, but there are times that no matter how hard we try to stay on schedule, life throws a wrench into our day.

For fun, we asked and few people around the office to share some of the things guaranteed to start their day on a bad note rather than a good one. Check them out and be sure to share yours as well.

1. Set the alarm on PM rather than AM

2. Car won’t start

3. Bear or skunk in your garage

4. Wake up and step in dog poop next to your bed

5.  No hot water

6. No electricity

7. Dead mouse in trap on counter right next to coffee maker

8. No coffee in the house

9. Wet car seats from leaving windows open the night before

10. Garbage ripped up and dragged all over yard due to wild animal or neighbor’s dog

Got any to add? Share them below.

1 troywilson { 10.05.13 at 8:46 pm }

dealing with death

2 troywilson { 10.05.13 at 8:45 pm }

struggling with cope

3 Sondra { 12.07.12 at 9:31 am }

I suggest finding reasons to be grateful in your life by reading http://www.farmersalmanac.com/health/2012/12/03/find-meaning-in-the-moment/

4 Susan O { 09.26.11 at 8:05 pm }

Driving half-way to work before realizing you have on two different shoes :)

5 June Wiliams { 09.26.11 at 9:38 am }

My suggestion is that people should count their blessings instead of dwelling on the negative. I am 71 and have lived thriough many dissappintments. And guess what? I still have a positive attitute. I just lost 80 pounds and every day I try to make it a good one.

6 Km Koesler { 09.26.11 at 9:24 am }

Finding the goats have figured out how to get into the garden AFTER hubby declared it goat-proofed…again.

7 Jim Vyhnak { 09.26.11 at 9:15 am }

Finding no hot water in the shower. Then finding the hot water tank burst all over the cellar floor. Standing there in my cold, wet nakedness did not help the situation at all.

8 Kellie Hunt { 09.26.11 at 8:38 am }

Coyotes surround the house at 2:30 am yipping and all 6 dogs go completely insane.for what seems to be hrs.Then they start n at every little noise the rest of the night.Even the frig kicking on.

9 CJ { 01.17.11 at 10:03 pm }

AM: Opened fridge door to get milk out for coffee and ENTIRE pitcher of sweet tea fell on floor, broke and spilled onto hardwood floor. Which meant no tea to take with me for the day, and for a southern girl, that really makes for a bad day.

10 Mrs. Bates { 10.26.10 at 1:43 pm }

Not too long ago, I was on my way to work & was involved in a minor fender-bender, which made me late. That’s one way to have a bad day.

11 jLI { 10.13.10 at 5:50 pm }

Hitting snooze until I’m now late for work then texting my boss asking if I can trade today for Saturday. Receiving his text that say’s Um No! Changing from lounging in my warm bed with a happy smile on my face to a look and feel of terror worried if i’ll be fired for now being late…jeesh!

12 Mairi { 10.11.10 at 10:43 am }

Coldest day in years, nightmares have woken children at 12, 2, 3, & 4 am per usual, then at 6 am watch careless city snowplow catch overhead cables and pull them off each building right to ground level. No phone, electricity, water pump or heat, till replaced – after 8″ ice crust has thawed enough to dig down 3′ of snow to connectors. Add sick kids. Can’t even call the boss to say why I’m not in!

13 Lori Jean { 10.04.10 at 9:12 am }

Turning your alarm clock off in your sleep, and then waking up when you’re supposed to be leaving for work. And since I just HAVE to wash my hair everyday and get a 10 yr old ready, I have to get ready in 10 minutes or I will be late for work. My son asked me the other day, “if you can get ready in 10 minutes when you’re in a hurry, why does it take you an hour to get ready when you’re not?” haha

14 Brad S { 09.23.10 at 11:09 am }

No hot water for the shower!

15 Cats Angel { 09.19.10 at 2:06 pm }

But, no matter how bad my day or any of the other posted ones started I have a former co-worker who really knows how a bad day starts. This IS a true story out of Camden Co, NJ about 12 yrs ago:

Getting in your car shortly after 6 AM in a nice suburban neighborhood to go to work in the Trauma Unit and as you go to close your car door there is suddenly a man standing next to you. As he asks for directions he points a gun at you and shoots you 5 times.”

Fortunately, she survived. So whenever I think I’ve had a bad day I realize that there are many other people who have things a lot worse than I do. So I take a breath & say thanks for all that I have!

16 Cats Angel { 09.19.10 at 2:01 pm }

For me, having my kids not want to get moving and I have to yell at them every step of the way – “Get dressed”, “Brush your teeth”, “Brush your hair”, “Get your shoes on” – “no, YOU tie them!””no, I’m not using my teeth to get the knot in your shoelace out “(of course the shoes that get worn to the barn or to go mud-bugging in!). “What have you been doing?!!! I got a shower, put makeup & jewelry on & fed the cats & YOU’RE STILL SITTING ON THE BED WATCHING TV?!” Then I get to start all over again – “Get dressed”, etc.

THEN, pulling up to their school late and having the principal & superintendant standing by the door looking at me like I’M THE ONE WITH A PROBLEM!!!

17 Pam, in Massachusetts { 09.19.10 at 11:45 am }

I’d have to say when punk kids vandalize your property overnight. That’s happened to me before, and it makes me furious.

18 speakermaguire { 09.19.10 at 10:56 am }

Incredibly, Mondays seem to be the day that I have things happen. I drop papers on the way into work, I’m extra clumsy, I have a hard time getting out of my own way… I try to remind myself of this on Sunday nights : )

19 Net { 09.19.10 at 4:52 am }

Getting to work, thinking you’ve lost your cell phone, reporting phone lost, getting chewed out by boss, going to cell phone store on your lunch (with the entire city, it seems) to get a new phone on lunch, finding you missed that ‘important’ phone call you’ve been waiting on for days, and almost losing your job. And then, two days later, cleaning out purse to discover said ‘lost’ phone in the bottom on airplane mode.

20 Steph { 09.18.10 at 8:16 pm }

Walking in the back door and finding a snake in the kitchen. No man around to rescue me,shot gun would work but would have a lot of clean up to do.Ended up sweeping him or her out the door.Ewww

21 Annie { 09.18.10 at 1:07 pm }

Two things have happened to me:
1. Thunderstorm keeps you up all night. (That’s happened a lot of times).
2. Bird poops on your nice clothes when outside. (I hate that).

22 Sophia { 09.17.10 at 11:57 pm }

Getting to work at 6:30 am to let your crews out for the day and realizing my gate key is at home on the kitchen table 45 miles away!!!

23 Barbara { 09.17.10 at 5:31 pm }

Before going to work, walking my husband to the door, watching him leave, going back inside for my purse, locking the door behind me and in that time, someone stole my car from our garage in a gated community – bad day.

24 cjwright { 09.16.10 at 7:10 pm }

The hissing of steampipes from the bathroom way down the hall. The little gizmo blew off and the whole apartment is filled with steam on a freezing New York City night. Get it under control. Watch cartoons.

25 Debbie { 09.16.10 at 3:27 pm }

How about waking to the sound of your cat growling nastily at something in the adjacent bathroom at 5:00 AM and you find a strange but strangely identical looking cat on the countertop in said bathroom. Now you put your robe on to protect from cat scratch fever and wrangle that foreign body (hold scruff) out of the house.

26 usaf2007 { 09.15.10 at 11:57 pm }

When you are in a dead sleep, and you’re police scanner calls you to respond to an accident at 4 am!

27 Sharon { 09.15.10 at 8:12 pm }

When the dogs wake me up @ 4:00am or when I can’t find the cars keys.

28 sandi white { 09.15.10 at 4:31 pm }

Someone left the gate to the chicken yard open and they are exploring their horizons.

29 Cherie A. Dodds { 09.15.10 at 3:48 pm }

When the work clothes you had to wash out the night before are still soaking wet and you have nothing else to wear.

30 Sally { 09.15.10 at 3:15 pm }

Being in such a hurry you forget to brush your teeth. Bleh!

31 Nicole Bowers { 09.15.10 at 2:32 pm }

Mama and baby moose grazing by the gate so I can’t get to the truck.

32 Irene { 09.15.10 at 1:55 pm }

Waking up in the middle of night, hearing someone speaking in the other parts of house. As I am going into Kitchen, hear “Droid” coming from husbands new phone which he had plugged into outlet. Sounded really scarry…. But really funny afterwards telling the story….

33 Janet { 09.15.10 at 1:00 pm }

approaching the car to go to work and see broken glass all around my car that was broken into!

34 Julia F { 09.15.10 at 11:20 am }

Trying to get back to sleep at 3:00 AM after being wakened by possums mating in the trees behind us! What a noise!

35 Shari { 09.15.10 at 10:55 am }

Wake up and find yourself at work.

36 joann { 09.15.10 at 10:22 am }

Waking up with a strange new bite on my face and a squished u spider on the pillow case……………..eeeeeewwwwwww

37 nbell { 09.15.10 at 8:38 am }

Finding that overnight, everyone in the house came down with the flu… including you!

38 Tea McAlpin { 09.13.10 at 11:12 am }

Waking up to the cat giving you a “gift” of dead $1500 bird.

39 Natalie Blake { 09.13.10 at 10:37 am }

Waking up to frozen pipes on a day you have to appear early to court.

40 Linda { 09.13.10 at 10:29 am }

getting pulled over at 4:30 AM by new new local kindergarten cop and partner who just want to check out my ride and try to tell me I was speeding (wasn’t, saw them before they started following me and I am old enough to be their MOM so I am not stupid) and when that didn’t work they tell me I was driving recklessly because I took a corner too wide (to avoid the car parked there!) and they then thought I was drunk. REALLY!!! No tickets (because I didn’t do anything!) but I was sure to let them check out my ride so maybe they would leave me alone on Mondays!!!

41 Cathy { 09.13.10 at 10:09 am }

How about realizing you did NOT throw the load of clean underwear in the dryer?

42 Matthew { 09.13.10 at 9:03 am }

Only slept for 3 hours. Long night.

43 Red D { 09.13.10 at 8:43 am }

Was up late working on a project, cranky and crying 7 yr old did NOT want to get up and go to school, and the husband and I apparently have a stomach bug… yeah… that was my morning! :p