Waxing Crescent

Easy Ways to Remove a Splinter

Easy Ways to  Remove a Splinter

Summer is a time for frolicking around in sandals, flip-flops, and of course bare feet. It’s also a time for splinters. Splinters are painful and can need medical attention, but most of the time the occasional piece of wood that gets stuck in your hand or foot can be remedied at home. Tweezers and/or sterilized needles work well, especially if the splinter isn’t too deep. Sometimes, though, these common household items can incite screaming and crying when the patient is a child, or can be difficult to use if you are by yourself. If you’d prefer a more “natural” removal method, why not give one of these a try:

Tape

From Duct to Scotch to masking many people swear by this removal method. This method is best for more superficial splinters rather than deep ones. Simply break off a piece of tape large enough to cover the area, then pull off the tape in the opposite direction the splinter went in.

Potato Slices
Cut a potato into thin slices. Place one slice on the splinter (use the side without the skin). Varying sources suggest leaving it on the spot for 10-20 minutes to the whole night. If you decide to leave it overnight, secure the potato slice with two bandages to keep it in place. When you remove the potato, it should pull out the splinter.

Baking Soda Paste
This method is best for those tiny, invisible splinters. You should use this only after you’ve tried other methods, as this paste will cause the skin to swell and push the splinter out. Make the paste by combining about ¼ tsp of baking soda with enough water to give it a paste-like consistency. Apply the paste to the cleaned area and put a bandage on top to keep it in secured. Leave it in place for 24 hours, and then remove. The splinter may be sticking out and need to be pulled out the rest of the way with tweezers or sterilized needle. If you don’t see it, repeat this process for another 24 hours.

Which splinter removal do you use? Share your favorite remedy here.

1 Bryan { 06.20.14 at 1:06 am }

Prid Drawing Salve. Wal-Mart sells it. It’s in an orange tin. Best I’ve used for splinters.

2 jan { 06.19.14 at 8:19 pm }

After about 48 hours your body will try to eject the splinter, big or small. All you have to do is put some pressure behind it..it will come out. There might be some puss, but an antibiotic cream will help that..

3 Bernie Norman { 06.19.14 at 5:58 pm }

I take a razor blade and gently slice the skin above the splinter until it pops up and i can grab it with tweezers, most times the razor blade can pull it out after the splinter is exposed if I scrape it sideways. Just got to be careful. I have always done this and my kids hardly felt it when I took splinters out.

4 Maylea Lolley { 06.19.14 at 3:43 pm }

Put a dab of vicks vapor rub ,bandaid overnight it will draw it out ,it will also work on risens and zits

5 Peggy { 06.19.14 at 2:11 pm }

Haven’t had to do this since my children were small….but I use to place an ice cube on the area, long enough to numb it. Then quickly use sterile needle and tweezers to remove.

6 CC { 05.26.14 at 5:23 pm }

Raw bacon, tiny piece, bandaid. Leave overnight?
Never failed

7 Jessica Dix { 05.17.14 at 10:54 pm }

There is a thick one in my daughters but cheak and he will not touch it what should i do

8 Edith { 03.27.14 at 6:31 pm }

If the splinter is under the skin I’m confused as to how these methods will remove it

9 brooklyn { 03.17.14 at 11:25 pm }

Bread and milk, warm the milk until it is warm but not to unbearable mix with the bread apply to the area and secure with bandage or gauze leave overnight should be in bread in the morning …..milk softens the area bread dries and pulls splinter out with it.

10 Matt { 03.09.14 at 3:15 pm }

Use a thumbtack and dig a little bit then pull out with tweezers it doesn’t hurt at all

11 renee { 09.09.13 at 10:39 pm }

I make small hole with neddle pour peroxide it works sometimes

12 Nikki { 07.27.13 at 4:07 pm }

I have a splinter under the skin on the side of my finger! last time I had one my dad used a needle to work it out and it made me feel so light headed, so I don’t want to try that again! I don’t know what to try!

13 Monica { 07.15.13 at 4:57 pm }

I’ve got more than a splinter. More like impaled on a small stick which has broken off inside my calf and can’t get it out!! Not worth trip to the docs but I found a remedy that says to put a raisin under a bandaid leave it on the splinter for a day. Next day it should be poking out..

14 EMMA { 06.25.13 at 8:40 am }

If you can find a specific kind of magnifying glass…I use a small one that folds open in 3 sections. Closed, it’s about 3/4″ square, and open it like a cube. It’s for the purpose of viewing the grain patterns of paper. Very powerful. I place it above the splinter and it appears to be 50 or 100 times bigger. Easier to pick at with a needle, or tape, etc, to pull it out.

15 person { 06.15.13 at 12:18 pm }

i have one stuck in the middle of me foot :((((((((((((

16 Caroline { 12.28.12 at 2:24 pm }

I used a nail clipper to cut the skin a little bit then Cleaned my tweasers and pulled it out

17 Tanya { 12.03.12 at 10:29 am }

I have a splinter in my big toe and I can’t see it at all :c it hurts

18 reese { 09.13.12 at 4:58 pm }

I have it in my big toe. It huuurts. I have to do pe in school too.

19 Allegra { 07.27.12 at 2:02 pm }

You should try soaking your hand in hot water for 10 minutes it should get a deep splinter out from under your skin so you can pull it out with tweezers. The needle method is way to painful.

20 Pat { 05.10.12 at 6:21 pm }

After the tape idea, it prompted another one. I used a wax hair remover product on the splinter and, after 2 tries, it worked! Let it cool on the skin slightly but remove while the wax is still warm and pliable. Nice, easy, painless!

21 Ebony { 04.24.12 at 11:42 am }

I’ve tried the tape n I was told to try the egg shell n its not working I’m going crazy it hurts n I can’t get it out!! OMG it hurts

22 Lisa { 06.07.11 at 1:32 pm }

old home remedy for removing splinters…a smear of elmer’s glue across the edge of the splinter…let it dry completely and then peel the glue off. The splinter comes out with it! Shared with my neighbor and she now swears by it. You could do as my son does though just wait until the fester up and open them up and slide them out then.