Register | Log in

« | »

Easy Ways to Remove a Splinter

Easy Ways to  Remove a Splinter

Summer is a time for frolicking around in sandals, flip-flops, and of course bare feet. It’s also a time for splinters. Splinters are painful and can need medical attention, but most of the time the occasional piece of wood that gets stuck in your hand or foot can be remedied at home. Tweezers and/or sterilized needles work well, especially if the splinter isn’t too deep. Sometimes, though, these common household items can incite screaming and crying when the patient is a child, or can be difficult to use if you are by yourself. If you’d prefer a more “natural” removal method, why not give one of these a try:

Tape

From Duct to Scotch to masking many people swear by this removal method. This method is best for more superficial splinters rather than deep ones. Simply break off a piece of tape large enough to cover the area, then pull off the tape in the opposite direction the splinter went in.

Potato Slices
Cut a potato into thin slices. Place one slice on the splinter (use the side without the skin). Varying sources suggest leaving it on the spot for 10-20 minutes to the whole night. If you decide to leave it overnight, secure the potato slice with two bandages to keep it in place. When you remove the potato, it should pull out the splinter.

Baking Soda Paste
This method is best for those tiny, invisible splinters. You should use this only after you’ve tried other methods, as this paste will cause the skin to swell and push the splinter out. Make the paste by combining about ¼ tsp of baking soda with enough water to give it a paste-like consistency. Apply the paste to the cleaned area and put a bandage on top to keep it in secured. Leave it in place for 24 hours, and then remove. The splinter may be sticking out and need to be pulled out the rest of the way with tweezers or sterilized needle. If you don’t see it, repeat this process for another 24 hours.

Which splinter removal do you use? Share your favorite remedy here.

33 Responses

1. I have a very deep splinter in the sole of my foot. I don’t have baking soda, and none of the other methods are working.

by Reva on Jun 20, 2016 at 10:21 pm Reply

2. Wear a dead chicken around your neck overnight after you soak it first in boiling water and drink it cold. Next morning kiss the chicken and tell it “Your the best night I ever had”. Works every time…no more splinter!

by Pickles on Apr 19, 2016 at 2:45 am Reply

3. I like whisky. After the bottle is consumed the damn splinter don’t hurt no mo!

by Chopper on Apr 19, 2016 at 2:39 am Reply

4. It hurts so bad and I can’t get it out!!

by Alexis on Apr 18, 2016 at 6:08 pm Reply

5. Place a raisin on the skin where the splinter is cover it with a band-aid. Leave on overnight. The raisin draws out moisture from the skin around splinter. You will be able to pull out the splinter with tweezers.

by Steve Ebert on Sep 27, 2015 at 12:12 pm Reply

6. soak it in hot water for twenty minutes then put neosporine On a bandage and wrap it around infected sliver area and wait overnight the wound area should be so soft u can slice a slight hole were the sliver is then push it out

by Sean on Jun 28, 2015 at 8:40 pm Reply

7. My mom’s old-time recipe that always works for me: Mix equal parts powdered laundry detergent and plain white table sugar, add a bit of water to make a paste. Put a dab in a bandaid and cover. Leave overnight. Repeat next day if needed. Somehow it pulls the splinter out. I bought one of the little laundry vending machine boxes just to keep on hand as I typically use liquid detergent.

by Mary Bell on Apr 20, 2015 at 12:34 am Reply

8. Never put raw bacon on any open wound their are worms in it that go to the brain and if you dont have brain suffers you will die!! Not a good idea!! Always wash hands well after hand!ing pork or poultry.

by devonna matney on Apr 18, 2015 at 9:03 pm Reply

9. i use hydrogen peroxide.

by Mike on Apr 18, 2015 at 8:25 pm Reply

10. You folks on here asking how to deal with your specific situation should go see a doctor.

by James on Apr 9, 2015 at 12:01 pm Reply

11. Prid Drawing Salve. Wal-Mart sells it. It’s in an orange tin. Best I’ve used for splinters.

by Bryan on Jun 20, 2014 at 1:06 am Reply

12. After about 48 hours your body will try to eject the splinter, big or small. All you have to do is put some pressure behind it..it will come out. There might be some puss, but an antibiotic cream will help that..

by jan on Jun 19, 2014 at 8:19 pm Reply

13. I take a razor blade and gently slice the skin above the splinter until it pops up and i can grab it with tweezers, most times the razor blade can pull it out after the splinter is exposed if I scrape it sideways. Just got to be careful. I have always done this and my kids hardly felt it when I took splinters out.

by Bernie Norman on Jun 19, 2014 at 5:58 pm Reply

14. Put a dab of vicks vapor rub ,bandaid overnight it will draw it out ,it will also work on risens and zits

by Maylea Lolley on Jun 19, 2014 at 3:43 pm Reply

15. Haven’t had to do this since my children were small….but I use to place an ice cube on the area, long enough to numb it. Then quickly use sterile needle and tweezers to remove.

by Peggy on Jun 19, 2014 at 2:11 pm Reply

16. Raw bacon, tiny piece, bandaid. Leave overnight?
    Never failed

by CC on May 26, 2014 at 5:23 pm Reply

17. There is a thick one in my daughters but cheak and he will not touch it what should i do

by Jessica Dix on May 17, 2014 at 10:54 pm Reply

18. If the splinter is under the skin I’m confused as to how these methods will remove it

by Edith on Mar 27, 2014 at 6:31 pm Reply

19. Bread and milk, warm the milk until it is warm but not to unbearable mix with the bread apply to the area and secure with bandage or gauze leave overnight should be in bread in the morning …..milk softens the area bread dries and pulls splinter out with it.

by brooklyn on Mar 17, 2014 at 11:25 pm Reply

20. Use a thumbtack and dig a little bit then pull out with tweezers it doesn’t hurt at all

by Matt on Mar 9, 2014 at 3:15 pm Reply

21. I make small hole with neddle pour peroxide it works sometimes

by renee on Sep 9, 2013 at 10:39 pm Reply

22. I have a splinter under the skin on the side of my finger! last time I had one my dad used a needle to work it out and it made me feel so light headed, so I don’t want to try that again! I don’t know what to try!

by Nikki on Jul 27, 2013 at 4:07 pm Reply

23. I’ve got more than a splinter. More like impaled on a small stick which has broken off inside my calf and can’t get it out!! Not worth trip to the docs but I found a remedy that says to put a raisin under a bandaid leave it on the splinter for a day. Next day it should be poking out..

by Monica on Jul 15, 2013 at 4:57 pm Reply

24. If you can find a specific kind of magnifying glass…I use a small one that folds open in 3 sections. Closed, it’s about 3/4″ square, and open it like a cube. It’s for the purpose of viewing the grain patterns of paper. Very powerful. I place it above the splinter and it appears to be 50 or 100 times bigger. Easier to pick at with a needle, or tape, etc, to pull it out.

by EMMA on Jun 25, 2013 at 8:40 am Reply

25. i have one stuck in the middle of me foot :((((((((((((

by person on Jun 15, 2013 at 12:18 pm Reply

26. I used a nail clipper to cut the skin a little bit then Cleaned my tweasers and pulled it out

by Caroline on Dec 28, 2012 at 2:24 pm Reply

27. I have a splinter in my big toe and I can’t see it at all :c it hurts

by Tanya on Dec 3, 2012 at 10:29 am Reply

28. I have it in my big toe. It huuurts. I have to do pe in school too.

by reese on Sep 13, 2012 at 4:58 pm Reply

29. You should try soaking your hand in hot water for 10 minutes it should get a deep splinter out from under your skin so you can pull it out with tweezers. The needle method is way to painful.

by Allegra on Jul 27, 2012 at 2:02 pm Reply

30. After the tape idea, it prompted another one. I used a wax hair remover product on the splinter and, after 2 tries, it worked! Let it cool on the skin slightly but remove while the wax is still warm and pliable. Nice, easy, painless!

by Pat on May 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm Reply

31. I’ve tried the tape n I was told to try the egg shell n its not working I’m going crazy it hurts n I can’t get it out!! OMG it hurts

by Ebony on Apr 24, 2012 at 11:42 am Reply

32. old home remedy for removing splinters…a smear of elmer’s glue across the edge of the splinter…let it dry completely and then peel the glue off. The splinter comes out with it! Shared with my neighbor and she now swears by it. You could do as my son does though just wait until the fester up and open them up and slide them out then.

by Lisa on Jun 7, 2011 at 1:32 pm Reply