Register | Log in

« | »

Natural Ways to Keep Bugs Away!

Natural Ways to Keep Bugs Away!

Are swarming mosquitoes threatening to ruin your cookout this weekend? Don’t fret. There are steps that you can take to avoid getting bitten by these bloodthirsty pests.

Step 1 — Ensure That Your Yard is Not a Breeding Ground for Mosquitoes. Mosquitoes require stagnant water to breed. Thus,

Step 2 — Fighting Off Mosquitoes Naturally

Numerous tips for ridding the garden and lawn of pests naturally are found in Deborah Tukua and Vicki West’s book, Pearls of Garden Wisdom.

37 Responses

1. […] For more eye-awakening facts, visit the Farmer’s Almanac […]

by How To: Get Rid of Bugs and Insects at Home | Patrick Lim's Blog on Jul 10, 2014 at 10:54 am

2. […] For more eye-awakening facts, visit the Farmer’s Almanac […]

by How To: Get Rid of Bugs and Insects at Home | My Website on Jul 9, 2014 at 5:59 pm

3. […] For more eye-awakening facts, visit the Farmer’s Almanac […]

by How To: Get Rid of Bugs and Insects at Home | Earl Forbes Blog on Jul 9, 2014 at 5:10 pm

4. […] For more eye-awakening facts, visit the Farmer’s Almanac […]

by How To: Get Rid of Bugs and Insects at Home | Janet Glowacki's Blog on Jul 9, 2014 at 12:05 pm

5. Dap Vick vapor rub around ankles ,wrist arms neck ear it keep bug away.

by Bonnie Wetmore on Jun 16, 2014 at 10:22 am

6. Mosquitoes love eating my ankles and lower legs, I`ll try the dryer sheets

by Fionna on Jun 3, 2014 at 4:42 pm

7. Chigger bites – i know it sounds weird but it works. Put clear nail polish on the bite. It smothers the chigger and kills it and relieves the itching. I didn’t believe it until I tried it and it works every time.

by Michelle on Oct 19, 2013 at 8:24 am

8. I did not see anything reported about chiggers. How to repel and relieve the itching. We have plenty here in the WNC mountains. Even the “old timers” don’t have a successful answer. HELP

by don on Jun 17, 2012 at 3:55 pm

9. Use Cedarcide – all natural.

by Julie C on Jun 1, 2012 at 9:57 am

10. I work outside a lot. Dryer sheets in my pocket do work. I also put citronella essential oil in my shampoo. It smells OK and I don’t find so many nats and such flying by my face. When i take the dogs, i put the dryer sheets on their collars.

by tif on May 31, 2012 at 9:55 am

11. We have Citronella plants planted around the patio and close to the picnic table. They are pretty, bloom and have a delightful smell warding off mosquitos.

by Sandra on May 24, 2012 at 10:45 am

12. Purple martins (a type of large swallow) are WONDERFUL for insect control. They eat their weight daily. TO attract them, look up instruction for building a house (or buy one). Just make sure you follow the directions EXACTLY! They are picky about it. Also, make sure you run off any starlings or sparrows. They compete for the living space, although, we have a large number of martins despite the irritating sparrows that just won’t go away.

by Rae on May 24, 2012 at 9:04 am

13. Alice, Have you tried attracting bats to your property? If you can, install a few bat boxes around. If you do manage to attract a colony of bats, they will help keep down the blackfly population.

by Jaime McLeod on May 24, 2012 at 8:25 am

14. My wonderful husband bought me some insect repellant clothing from Exofficio. The pants and shirts repel mosquitoes, ticks, ants, chiggers, and midges for up to 70 washings, and they are cool and comfortable. No more itchy bites for me as I work in my garden. I love them!

by Linda on May 23, 2012 at 11:14 pm

15. HELP PLEASE, The blackflies are so thick here we are putting the place up for sale because I am so allergic and become sick and labour to breathe due to the blackfly bites which swell so badly that I have to increase my prednisone dosage and antihistamines . We have two creeks on the property and was told they breed in moving water. It also rains a lot here in the maritimes of Canada.. Last year I had to stay inside until the 2nd week of August when they finally left. I have tried most of the above recommendations but to no avail and they seem to come right through the screens and I bought some gauze type material to put up against the screens and that helps some. There is a spray made from chrysanthamums but unable to find it locally. Does anyone know if it works. I thought that might make sense as they do disappear when that flower comes into bloom.

by Alice Moorhouse on May 23, 2012 at 2:28 pm

16. Spray the area with lemon scented pinesol for flies, they hate the scent, the fly traps that you add water to also work extremely well.

by Assa on May 23, 2012 at 10:57 am

17. Can anyone plz help with black flies? They are taking over our open carport, waterbags with or without penny do not work, basil, eucalyptus you name it I have tried it. PLEASE can someone help a gardener about to be flown away by flies???

by MoonWillow on May 23, 2012 at 10:31 am

18. Essential oils like lavander oil or pine needle oil help stay away mosquitoes. You need just rub small amount into your open skin(not over use, because it’s very strong!). Pine needle oil helps reduce skin irritation after biting.

by Mila on May 23, 2012 at 10:18 am

19. We use smudge pots… we just pour the citrinella in the pots work really good on your patio…. just gotta be carefull around children.

by Kathy OConnor on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:08 am

20. We put a shiny new copper penny in a ziplock bag & hang several around our seating area to control black flies. Don’t know how it works, but it sure helps.

by Robin on Jun 2, 2011 at 8:30 am

21. Taking vitamin B1 (300 mg a day during mosquito season) keeps mosquitos and black flies from landing and biting you. Works for me for over twenty years.

by J. Ward on May 28, 2011 at 3:09 pm

22. For the black flies and skeeters I use skin so soft from AVON

by jimmy on May 27, 2011 at 10:35 pm

23. Best I’ve ever used for any insect stings, skeeters or bees, wasps, etc. is baking soda paste. Just slap some on and let it stay until it dries. No swelling or itching after that. My stepmother taught me that one firsthand!

by C. Silveria on May 26, 2011 at 11:26 am

24. I’ve used the catnip for a long time, crush the leaves and rub on skin, works great here in Maine.

by kjacobitz on May 26, 2011 at 9:21 am

25. If you use mud on a sting or bite it will not only cool it but will stop the pain/itch. I have used it many times on myself and on my kids and it works well. As for keeping them at bay, the listerine works well, put some in a spray bottle and spray the area. You will be good to go. Hope this helps.

by Starr on May 25, 2011 at 10:46 pm

26. If you get bitten by the mosquito’s, apply a small dap of colgate toothpaste on the bite, it helps so you don’t scratch!

by Kathy on May 25, 2011 at 5:51 pm

27. To help stop the itch of mosquito bites, crush yarrow leaves and apply. We have used this for years (smells good too.)

by TLM on May 25, 2011 at 3:31 pm

28. CATNIP (planted &/or rubbed on) works too …. (Of course, ya better like cats because it’s an “attractant”! (great if you need to sight in your 22)! :-)

by Diane Bruso on May 25, 2011 at 2:53 pm

29. the best deterent is using Jerry Baker’s tip. It works I used it at my backyard wedding!!! take a hose end sprayer fill 1/3 w/lemon ammonia, another 1/3 with lemon dish soap and fill with water. attach to your hose and spray the perimiter. Works for special events but too much and the bugs get used to it… Works like a charm it’s the lemon mosquitoes don’t like it!!!

by JLC on May 25, 2011 at 2:04 pm

30. I tried the dryer sheets in my pocket, but I got dizzy from tumbling over and over.

by dlmaddox1 on May 25, 2011 at 1:59 pm

31. Lemon Joy will kill mosquitos. Place 3 or4 drops in white saucers around deck area. The lemon & white saucer will attract them & soap kills them.

by ron nunley on May 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm

32. We have a run off ditch along our back yard, bad for mosquitos, I use plants like parsley, garlic, marigolds, zenias, and mint around our deck. It does well enough, I like the bat idea, but we do feed the bird do they get along?

by KLynn on May 25, 2011 at 11:22 am

33. This tips are great for mosquito bites and deterrents. What can help with black flies they are a real problem here in Nova Scotia. Please any ideas would be great.
    Thanks

by Katherine on May 25, 2011 at 10:53 am

34. I have also heard about the Listerine. As soon as skitter season starts, I am going to give it a try.

by Cheryl on May 25, 2011 at 10:46 am

35. Another deterrant is listerene. Spray it around your outdoor sitting area. We tried it last summer and it worked.

by Bonnie on May 25, 2011 at 9:56 am

36. nothing better nor cheaper…

by tennell on May 25, 2011 at 9:52 am

37. Dryer sheets tucked into your pocket are supposed to help too.

by Nicki on May 24, 2011 at 10:33 am