Waxing Gibbous

What is aloe good for?

What is aloe good for?

For thousands of years, aloe vera has been used as a natural medicine. No other natural product contains such a large number of properties useful to humans.

Though the aloe vera plant looks like a cactus, it is actually a member of the lily family. There are more than five hundred different species of this commonly known household plant. Known by many other scientific-sounding names, such as Curacao aloe, Barbados aloe, and even lily of the desert, most of us just call it aloe. Below are some of the more common uses for aloe vera:

* Soothes skin injured by burns, irritations, cuts and insect bites.
* Relieves itching, swelling, and irritated skin.
* Improves the effectiveness of sunscreen products.
* Eases digestive complaints.
* Heals skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, or acne.
* Aids musculoskeletal conditions such as arthritis or rheumatism.

Many of the skin care products containing aloe vera are also fortified with Vitamin E and collagen to keep the moisture in and help maintain the skin's elasticity and suppleness. Today, aloe vera and skin care products seem to go hand in hand. Commercial products containing aloe vera are used by millions of people worldwide.

How to Grown Your Own
Aloe plants make for great houseplants. If you live in a warm climate, you could put them on a deck or even plant them, however they are extremely frost tender.

• For outside: Plant in full sun or light shade.
  • Inside: Keep the plant in its own container and place near a sunny window.
  • Watering: Remember Aloe Vera is a succulent, which means it doesn’t need a lot of water. It actually stores water in its leaves and roots. In the winter, Aloes go through a dormant stage and won’t require a lot of water. In the summer, wait until the soil is dry, then completely soak the plant. Allow it to dry out before your water it again.

How to Use It:
When you find yourself in need for some aloe, break off a lower leaf and apply the gel to the affected area. If necessary, use a knife to cut the leaf open.

1 girl please { 05.30.13 at 4:44 pm }

okay guys my sister got a sunburn from the pool and it works her sunburn on her face is clearing now and it works for anything just READ THE PASSAGE AGAIN!!!!!

2 Sherilyn Fristoe { 05.21.13 at 8:36 am }

I would like to know if the true aloe is good for lymphedema,are will it help it

3 inita job { 01.26.13 at 10:59 am }

aloe is a very healthy natural medicine and it is really good.

4 shena { 10.17.12 at 5:33 am }

I’ve been drinking this aloe thing for two days now. Its very bitter but I could see the boils on my skin clearing out.

5 milynda edwards { 09.23.12 at 1:21 pm }

I love this aloe it works so well I have a whole big plant and I use the aloe and it started to burn hut it works so good on my face and I am really loving it

6 Heather Varner { 09.16.12 at 10:04 pm }

My dog had bites on her belly. I took her to the vet and they gave her some medicine for the itch and bites. It didn’t help. I rememberd I had an Aloe plant broke a few sprigs off opened them up and put it on her belly. As a result she is sooo much better and improving every day…..

7 N.james { 02.16.12 at 4:31 pm }

I used aloe for the first time and it burned a little but soon as i washed it off my skin feels so refreshing n soft. Now i use it twice a day and longer burns

8 Jaime McLeod { 02.13.12 at 9:29 am }

Linda, You can store them in Ziploc bags and put them in the freezer.

9 linda { 02.12.12 at 7:22 pm }

My Aloe plant got over two feet high & wide in house. Now it fell have @ least 40 loose ones broke off from root how can I store them to use. I know can’t be replanted . What to share with friends how to keep it from going rotten.

10 zack { 09.21.11 at 12:03 am }

I love my aloe plant. Right before I started my freshman year I started to break out, so I looked up acne cures and I thought this plant was interesting so I tried it and it worked better than pro active hands down.

11 IRENE MOLSKNESS { 10.13.10 at 12:11 pm }

EXCELLANT ADVICE

12 Mary Sturgeon { 10.13.10 at 10:19 am }

I have an aloe plant & will always have one . It is fantastic especially for burns.
It does take over as a ground plant, a large container is best.

M.Sturgeon