Waning Gibbous

The 2015 Farmers Almanac

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Save this recipe for later by logging in or registering for free!
Cream of Mushroom Soup

Many people don’t have Cream of Mushroom soup on their radar when they think of homemade soups, and most think the only way to serve it up is by opening a can. Not so, with this easy, from-scratch recipe, bursting with mushroom flavor, that will become your new favorite!

1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 14 1/2-oz. cans chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 dash dried thyme
1/4 cup cream sherry (do not substitute cooking sherry)

In a large saucepan, sauté onion in butter until tender. Add mushrooms and sauté until tender. Combine and mix flour and broth until smooth; stir into the mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. (If you’re cooking for people who can’t have “chunks” of mushrooms in their soup, put the thickened mixture into a blender to puree and pour back into the saucepan.) Stir in the cream, sherry, salt, and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring often. Yield: 4-6 servings.

This can be used for soup and salad/sandwich night, then added to rotisserie chicken with some peas and carrots for a one-pot meal on another night.

1 Cathy M { 11.16.15 at 6:41 pm }

I just made this soup for Dinner tonight, Very easy.I did not add the Sherry, Tho. I did however add a packet of Onion soup mix, It made it very salty… My Husband is the Taste tester, Said” He cant wait for Dinner!! Yeah Me…

2 Susan Higgins { 11.16.15 at 9:31 am }

Hi Sherry Klueber, you could probably put it in the crock pot at the last simmer and keep it warm. But you’re right, the saute step is crucial to achieve a balance of flavors.

3 Susan Higgins { 11.16.15 at 9:29 am }

Hi Laurie Fuller, our apologies, you can add it with the cream and then put it back on the stove. We have fixed the story. Thanks for finding that!

4 Nicole { 11.15.15 at 9:16 pm }

We do not consume alcohol, can I just omit the sherry

5 laurie fuller { 11.15.15 at 8:46 pm }

when do you add the sherry?

6 sherry klueber { 11.15.15 at 4:09 pm }

I do not think this recipe would work well in a crock pot. From start to finish it should only take 30 minutes. You need to saute the onion and mushrooms. Quite an easy recipe

7 snowlover { 09.17.15 at 11:26 am }

I don’t like mushrooms, however this soup sounds delicious (minus the mushrooms of course). Any ideas what I can replace the mushrooms with? Funny thing…I do like Campbell’s Golden Mushroom Soup. I love Cream of Chicken soup. Perhaps I can add some cooked chicken and perhaps a bouillon or two.

8 suzietitus { 08.09.14 at 9:08 pm }

I started substituting cream and sour cream with plain greek yogurt!

9 Louise { 07.05.14 at 2:47 am }

I sub sour cream for alot of recipes… ( where milk etc. is needed) need to add extra liquid…water is fine…..a very rich base.
I keep sour cream in the refrig all the time

10 Lorraine { 06.19.14 at 4:01 pm }

The mushroom soup recipe looks good.
What can I substitute the 1 cup half-and-half cream with?

11 tg4mgoluv { 04.09.14 at 1:25 pm }

Yam, great recipes.

12 Terri { 03.12.14 at 11:14 am }

Can this recipe be made in the crockpot?