Waning Crescent

The 2016 Farmers Almanac

Zucchini Brownies

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Add to Google+ Share on Pinterest Subscribe by Email Print This Post
Save this recipe for later by logging in or registering for free!
Zucchini Brownies

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Note: There are no eggs in this recipe. It adds to the fudgy texture of the brownies.

Frosting (optional)

6 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 cup butter
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a 9” x 13” baking pan. In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla and mix until well blended. In another bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, baking soda and salt, and add to the sugar mixture. Fold in the zucchini and walnuts.

Don’t worry if the batter seems dry at this point, the zucchini adds moisture as it cooks.

Spread the batter evenly into the pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until brownies spring back when gently touched.

To make the frosting, melt together the 6 tablespoons of cocoa powder and butter; mix throughly with a whisk and set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, blend together the confectioners’ sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares.

1 Roberta { 08.03.16 at 6:39 pm }

Made this the other day and loved it! I got 7 C. zucchini from one zucchini so I made a zucchini cake and I froze and saved the last shredded 2 C. to bake the brownies for my daughter and her family when they returned from their vacation. Thawing the frozen zucchini made it even wetter and I put in in with the sugar, oil and vanilla. Then added the dry ingred. The batter wasn’t as dry as the one I baked for my husband and me.

I baked theirs today, left off the frosting because my husband thought it made the brownies too sweet. I like it best when fresh from the oven. I refrigerated them for fear the zucchini in the brownies would spoil sitting at room temp. T

2 Susan Higgins { 08.04.16 at 5:09 pm }

Hi Koreen, you might want to skip the coffee in this particular brownie recipe; too many conflicting flavors. But if you decide to try it, tell us how it went!

3 Koreen { 08.03.16 at 12:05 am }

This recipe sounds great, sent to me by a friend. I am definitely going to make them tomorrow, and I will only put in 1 cup of sugar as I think it already has way too much
sugar (which I’ve been noticing in a lot of cookie recipes lately, instead of the usual 1 cup people are adding an extra half cup, can anyone say diabetes, diabetes, diabetes?….lol)
As well, I want to add a tablespoon or so of instant coffee. Now wouldn’t that taste ever so good?!! I love mocha flavored anything…. YUM!

4 Brandi { 07.29.16 at 7:12 pm }

Batter a bit dry so added a little more zucchini and oil. Absolutely delicious!!🤗

5 Pam { 07.27.16 at 8:39 pm }

I made the brownies exactly according to the recipe. Absolutely delicious!

6 Patricia Louro { 07.27.16 at 3:29 pm }

I made them today..with the cane sugar and they are good..but will try brown sugar next time.

7 Debi { 07.27.16 at 3:08 pm }

It is better and richer made with brown sugar.

8 Elsie { 08.19.15 at 9:41 pm }

Very delicious! Followed the direction and was surprised how moist the brownies came out. Made this recipe twice and was asked to make it again. Thanks for sharing. 😊

9 Susan Higgins { 07.16.15 at 4:48 pm }

Thank you, Laura Thompson!

10 Laura Thompson { 07.16.15 at 2:36 am }

we have lived by Farmers Almanc all my life love it

11 Patty { 07.15.15 at 3:21 pm }

made these – but I added a couple of eggs as the ‘batter’ was extremely dry….think they forgot something on the recipe….

12 Joyce { 07.14.15 at 10:55 pm }

Looks good!!

13 Emma Tuttle { 07.23.14 at 9:40 pm }

I want to try this. Won’t feel so guilty eating brownies knowing it has a veggie in it.

14 Rose { 07.22.14 at 4:52 pm }

Sounds good plus sneaky way to get veggies in the kids.

15 SUSAN BUHLER { 07.22.14 at 12:22 am }

Love Baking.
Looks real good, gotta try it!

16 Jenn { 08.27.12 at 7:33 am }

This sounds SO GOOD. Cant wait to try it. Thanks!

If you notice a hole in the upper left-hand corner of your Farmers' Almanac, don't return it to the store! That hole isn't a defect; it's a part of history. Starting with the first edition of the Farmers' Almanac in 1818, readers used to nail holes into the corners to hang it up in their homes, barns, and outhouses (to provide both reading material and toilet paper). In 1919, the Almanac's publishers began pre-drilling holes in the corners to make it even easier for readers to keep all of that invaluable information (and paper) handy.

Winter Is Coming – Sign Up Today!

Get our ALL-ACCESS PASS and get 365 days of access to our online calendars along with a copy of the 2017 Almanac (Now Shipping!) for only $13.99 $11.99!