Waxing Crescent

Kitchen Wisdom: Waste Not, Want Not!

Kitchen Wisdom: Waste Not, Want Not!

As a thrifty-minded mama of five, one might think I’d have a lot of “saving money at the supermarket” tips, but I don’t. Since I try to buy as little processed food as possible, I find very few coupons that we can use. As I told my husband recently when he was lamenting a high grocery bill, “They don’t offer coupons for asparagus.”

But I realized there is one way I save us money every week and that’s by refusing to let food go to waste. A little effort needs to be put forward before it is even served. (And when it is served, I give the children small portions and let them ask for more if needed.)

But before we even get to dinnertime, there are steps I take. I plan my supermarket trip so that within 24 hours of shopping I have time to do prep work to that food, such as:

- Properly store all vegetables so they don’t go bad before we can eat them. For most vegetables this simply means putting them into an airtight container.

- Cut some of the veggies such as cucumbers and peppers and package them in small containers for snacking or packing in lunches. I also cut the stems off of strawberries and so they are ready to eat.

- Salads in jars! I normally prepare four salads in plastic jars for my husband to take to work and another four in wide mouth mason jars for home consumption. I place approximately 2T of dressing in the bottom and then layer the ingredients, starting with the sturdier foods like cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and olives and then topping off with spring mix, spinach and crumbled feta.

- I also use this time to make any of the foods that I normally make that we are out of like yogurt and bread.

- As the week progresses, I serve the fruits and vegetables that go bad faster first. Green beans seem to get slimy after several days, so I serve those first while sturdier vegetables like broccoli and Brussels sprouts can wait. I also usually buy a melon a little on the hard side so that it can sit on the counter and soften up while we eat up the fruit that will go bad first. By the time we cut the melon open, it must mean it’s almost time for me to go shopping again.

Of course there are sometimes busy weeks or lapses in the plan when I may find myself with food that is about to go bad. But this doesn’t mean this food needs to be wasted! Here are some tips for saving that food:

- But if you don’t have time to make banana bread with your browning bananas, peel and freeze them. Not only could you use them for future bread, but they also are a great addition to smoothies. This is also great for zucchini: shred it and freeze it. When you defrost to use for muffins, you’ll have to squeeze extra water out.

- Peppers can be cut into strips, flash frozen (by placing on plate and put in freezer. Once frozen, transfer to an airtight container). Frozen peppers can be thrown right into a frying pan with garlic and onions for fajitas or sausage and peppers.

- Bread going stale? Cut into cubes, mix it up with some melted butter and dried Italian seasonings, spread onto baking sheet and bake at 350 until you have crispy croutons.

- It’s happened to all of us: we’ve cut up apples for the kids to eat and now they’re turning brown and nobody will eat them. My secret? Sprinkle them with a little cinnamon sugar! It hides that other brown they refuse to eat, they think they’re getting a special treat; you get them to eat fruit and not waste food.

After following these steps, there is very little food wasted at our house. If ever there is some that needs to be tossed, we are sure to put it in the compost bin along with all the other kitchen scraps.

I read recently that the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization estimates that 1.3 billion tons of food are wasted annually. Additionally, The Barilla Center for Food & Nutrition says that the amount of food wasted in the United States exceeds that of the United Kingdom, Italy, Sweden, France and Germany combined. I like to think that by following the steps I’ve listed here my family not only saves money on our grocery bill but also helps us from contributing to those statistics.

1 Renee W Castor { 05.18.14 at 9:32 pm }

I take fruit that is starting to go bad and make smooth pops for frozen treats.
Veggies become soups frozen in single serving containers.

2 Norma { 10.16.13 at 11:30 am }

To Sara: I love to can and have can everything from vegetables to meats and soup
all I ever use for information on canning is my canning books from Ball and Kerr.
Everything you need is in these books

3 Sara { 10.14.13 at 9:39 pm }

Great tips in the article. Live the farm life and eat the meat we raised or killers ourselves. Would like to know more about canning soups with meat in them.

4 Susie Hudson { 10.10.13 at 11:39 am }

To the lady wanting soup recipes.
Have you tries Taco Soup??It’s good

5 Jaime McLeod { 09.26.13 at 3:30 pm }

Connie, the photo is just a stock image, chosen to illustrate not letting food go to waste. We’ve discussed canning in the past here: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/home-garden/2009/08/10/easy-ways-to-preserve-summers-bounty/

6 Evelyn { 09.25.13 at 11:54 pm }

Thanks much! Great article. I love the idea of storing in jars. I have lots of jars.

7 donna { 09.25.13 at 7:05 pm }

We freeze grapes before they go bad and the grandkids love them!

8 Connie { 09.25.13 at 12:58 pm }

I was really looking forward to reading about what the image showed at the top of the article. It appears they used used jars to can items.
Is there a particular reason this was not discussed in the article?
When will you post something about those canning method do’s and Don’ts?
I didn’t grow up canning, so I’m learning from scratch. I need all the help I can get! ThX

9 Donna { 09.25.13 at 10:57 am }

I enjoyed reading both of these posts. I too do not like wasting money on processed food, and love to make all kinds of healthy soup. Would either or both of you like to share any of your soup recipes? even though, my kids may say OH NO!! soup again?

10 Louise { 09.25.13 at 10:09 am }

I too oppose waste and already practiced many of your suggestions. Small tidbits of left over veggies, even the broth left in the serving bowl, chicken, roast. meatloaf, etc. can be frozen in a zipper top bag or plastic container labeled “Soup”. Even raw veggies such as carrots, celery, onion, tomatoes, etc. can be added to the bag. When full make soup by adding tomatoes & other seasonings of choice. I have found that baby carrots stay fresh longer if rinsed, drained, and stored in a wide mouth airtight jar, either plastic or glass.

11 Dar { 09.23.13 at 11:54 am }

These are all great suggestions. I, too, am a nut about not wasting food and struggle with the same issue that you do as a person who does not purchase processed food. Now that fall is in the air, one of the best ways to get the most out of food is to become a master soup-maker! My kids joke that I never make the same soup twice but, hey, we rarely have leftover veggies or meat, the soup I make is healthy and low sodium with no preservatives and this is, in fact, how soup became soup. When you don’t have enough for soup, you can turn that stuff into salad or rice bowls or even fritattas. Of course, when I had little ones, I would “diet” by not making myself a lunch and only eating what my kids left on their plates. Great way to keep the calorie count down!! Great post, Gina. Thanks.