Waning Crescent

Signs Of A Rough Winter

The eastern part of the US has experienced unusually cool temperatures of late which makes me think about what might be in store for this fall and winter. In fact, many people are writing to ask. The question will be answered next week when we release our winter weather predictions for the US and Canada. In anticipation of our forecast, one only has to look around to see what the signs of nature are saying in your backyard.

Here are a few indictors of a rough winter:

Heavy and numerous fogs in August are a sign of a rough winter. How are the fogs in your area?

Unusual abundance of acorns – mine are dropping with gusto. What do you see?

Squirrels gather nuts early. Where there are acorns, there are squirrels.

Spiders spinning larger than normal webs.

We are only entering the time when we look for the signs of winter. Here’s a more extensive list.

If you see anything notable, let us know in the comments below!

1 Leslie { 11.22.14 at 1:38 am }

I’m in the SF Bay Area of California and I work at a child care center and have been here at our current location for 11 years. For the first time ever I’ve been seeing tons of caterpillars. They are every where. We put something outside and within 30 minutes we have 3-4 caterpillars on it. I’m not sure what kind they are but some are making their cocoons in the crevices of the walls outside. I’m not sure what this means but it’s very unusual. Can anyone tell me what kind they are? They aren’t wooly or fuzzy. They are orange in color with black spots, I’m guessing monarch? We are near a lot of pine trees

2 Shawn { 11.05.14 at 5:51 pm }

There are still high spider webs including drag lines going from the trees to the house or to other trees. Some of the trees have lost all of their leaves, but other trees still look to be full of leaves! I heard that late leaf fall means a severe winter. The walnut tree 2 blocks behind our house had an abundance of walnuts! The squirrels have been busy getting ready for winter. They have bushy tails! We have had dandelions in our yard last month. I don’t know if we have any right now but that is quite late to have those, since they usually just happen in the spring time for the most part. I’m very excited about the upcoming winter! :)

3 Charlotte Wallace { 11.04.14 at 9:37 am }

Here in southern middle tennessee the birds haven’t been visiting my feeders at all for about 6 weeks, very, very unusual. I normally have to fill all feeders daily. There are very few acorns, I mean very few acorns and haven’t seen but one wooly worm all fall!! This is very concerning!

4 newly { 10.29.14 at 11:03 am }

not so many acorns around here where i am in n.e. GA this 2014 fall season. they were in abundance last couple of years. sounded like machine guns on my roof thru Oct. been waiting for that this year…but just the occasional blast. i see some very small white oak acorns too (trees 50-60 yrs old). seems these factors could hearld a milder winter?….unless Mother Nature is playing a “trick” on all us critters… (yeah, i know, nature doesn’t play around.)

5 Angela { 10.21.14 at 1:43 pm }

I went round our (large) yard taking photos of the huge spider webs everywhere on a foggy morning here in Chattanooga TN… Have seen some HUGE spiders this past month. Also, our bird regulars at the feeding table are eating themselves silly… one of “our” mocking birds has become so fat he can barely take off after eating. . normally the birds just eat what they need & no more.

6 Margaret { 10.20.14 at 5:00 pm }

The squirrels are gathering and eating the chestnuts from my horse chestnut tree. i don’t think i ever saw them do that before. usually they are all over the ground and i have to pick them up.

7 Clover Zimmer { 10.11.14 at 11:48 am }

For the past 3 days now I’ve had an Orb Spider Building Pretty large Webs During the day. She Seems to be building them at Waist Level and not high up as they where seen earlier in the year, and they Where always Built at Night and Taken Down During the Daylight Hours. Not Sure What is going on in my little Homestead Environment, but I find this Very Unusual. I live in the Upstate Region of Sc. If this helps anyone.

8 joe { 09.24.14 at 11:34 am }

earlier than is typical for grackels and cowbirds-gathering in large numbers on power lines in the morning hours–especially around intersections

9 ShawnM { 09.23.14 at 5:40 pm }

There are a lot of webs outside! A lot of them are high spider webs some are attached to cable wires and the power pole and possibly the transformer. Now that is very high in the air! There is a larger than average spider web on the front porch from the edge of the porch roof to one of the poles holding the roof up. There is a slightly smaller web in the air near the porch just off to the left side of the porch. Another one closer to the ground connected from the house to the left side of the porch and even another one near the front side of the left side of the porch. Some of the webs still have the spiders on them. I believe they are garden spiders. I believe this is a sign of a harsh winter to come. I believe in winterlore more than radio/tv meteorologists because the weather models they base their forecasts from are made by other human beings and we don’t know everything. But I believe God’s creatures can and do predict what type of winter will occur.

Sometime ago my dad said he saw two all black woolly worms and he said that in a city in the county to our west that white woolly worms were there. This winter could be a blockbuster! Only time will tell! :) The two sources that I mainly believe in for predicting weather especially the winter weather is God’s creatures and The Farmer’s Almanac, I only look at weather models for entertainment purposes. With that said I do respect the meteorologists though, I do appreciate what they do.

10 Rikki { 09.23.14 at 12:57 pm }

I’m a sweet corn grower in central PA. I read in an article that if the sweet corn is harder to snap from the stalk in means a colder than usual winter. This year I had trouble hand harvesting a variety I NEVER did before. Curious to see if there is any truth to this.

11 Kris { 09.22.14 at 6:00 pm }

Many white wooly worms here in central Indiana. I haven’t seen any black or brown woolies yet. The crickets and the spiders are coming inside in droves. Acorns on the ground everywhere. I hope that this does not foretell a repeat of last winter.

12 Don { 09.22.14 at 5:33 pm }

We’ve never had this many acorns drop this early in September,last winter was abundant with snow but not nearly as many acorns by this time of year.we live in south jersey and average 2-4 feet of snow in winter,last year we totaled over 8 feet,expect the same this winter.we are ready

13 kay { 09.12.14 at 12:44 pm }

I have always heard if you slice the seed in a persimmon it will tell you the weather. The heart of the seed when sliced into will show a spoon, knife or fork. The spoon represents a shovel=lots of heavy wet snow. A knife=bitter cold and windy (cutting through you like a knife) fork=mild winter. We have done this every year, and every year it has been accurate. We have learned to rely on this. I cut one open everyday this week, and every one has had a shovel in it. I guess I better start loading up on water and winter supplys.

14 Amy { 09.05.14 at 8:03 pm }

Western Pa here, I just told my husband the other day we must be the luckiest people in the world with all the crickets in our house. Found a couple woolly boolies that were huge and solid black. A bit foggy in the morning but not to terrible, but the car windows need cleaned from all the condensation in the morning. The deer and turkeys are particularly active gathering up all the falling apples and pears before I can get to them at all times of the day not just morning and evening.
I personally can’t wait, fall is my favorite time of the year and we just got a new wood burner to heat the house for winter, so bring it on ! We’ll just have to move the wood pile a bit closer to the house than the barn this year.

15 Lindsey T. { 09.05.14 at 12:36 pm }

Here in rural central Illinois I saw one tree that was already partially turned bright orange in mid-August. We also are completely overrun with black crickets this year… I work at a hospital and we are even having a problem with them getting into critical areas. Also, my grandmother told me in mid-August that all the helicoptors had already fallen off of her maple tree and that this has never occurred this early – she said usually they are done falling in late September. Another thing I have noticed is a lot of HUGE black woolly worms. They are so big and fuzzy that I see them even when I am cruising down the highway going 60 mph. They’re all crossing the roads and you can see them from pretty far away because they are so big and woolly.

16 ShawnM { 09.04.14 at 9:58 pm }

Anybody from Missouri seen any black woolly worms, how about white woolly worms? Have you opened any persimmons? If so what were the shapes you found inside them?

17 ShawnM { 09.04.14 at 7:49 pm }

My dad told me he saw two solid black woolly worms today! I hope to see some soon, maybe a lot of them. I also would like to see the white woolly worms which predict heavy snow! We have a lot of webs outside. A pretty big one on the left side of the front porch, another pretty big web attached to the porch and house with a big garden spider on it. The squirrels I have been seeing have bushy tails. There are a lot of crickets outside and we hear their singing basically everyday. Right now the leaves for the most part are still green and staying on the trees. There have been leaves that did get hard and fall off the trees but I believe it was because it was dry for a long while. Flowers on the bush outside my window and in other parts of the yard and in other areas are still growing. :)

18 ken { 09.03.14 at 11:56 am }

love bugs just came out in southeast tx…wont be long for cool weather..to humid though, not many green liziards, tones of frogs,and squirrls moving pretty good..hate summers here,live for winter

19 Bobbi { 08.28.14 at 9:04 am }

The fog here in WV has been thick and the acorns have been falling for a couple weeks now. I love winter.

20 FearlessMamaNea { 08.27.14 at 9:07 pm }

Here in New Hope Minnesota I’ve seen quite a few cardnials…my grandma,an avid bird watcher always said they are the sign winter? Its still the end of August….right?

21 Heidi L. { 08.26.14 at 7:09 pm }

I live in Central PA and so far I’ve seen many signs of an upcoming rough winter. Huge spider webs ( in odd places as well), leaves changing color & some already are falling, and thick blankets of fog. It has been very cool this summer. Well not much of a summer at all. Sadly, I believe we are in for a long, hard winter.

22 Jessica { 08.26.14 at 6:54 pm }

I live in South Bend, Indiana and I have noticed three things this year:
1. A lot of foggy days in August
2. Canadian geese seem to be migrating south in higher numbers and earlier than usual
3. A ridiculous number of spider webs in the house, garage, shed, and all throughout the grass, garden, and even the landscaped areas with rubber mulch and lava rock

I don’t know if this is a definite sign of anything, but these three things seem to be happening a lot more than usual.

23 Pat { 08.25.14 at 11:34 pm }

In north central Alabama we have had more fire flys than normal and the leaves are turning and falling. Noticed leaves turning about 2 to 3 weeks ago. The hummingbirds are plentiful and I have more now than last year. Can’t hardly keep 2 feeders with liquid. We have had a very mild summer until this last week or two. Did the same last year for a mild summer. Bring on winter and get rid of the Alabama heat.

24 ShawnM { 08.25.14 at 6:47 pm }

We have lots of high spider webs on the front of the living room and one on the right side of the living room outside. A few drag lines going from the top of the transformer to I think to the roof. It’s about 100 degrees right now. We have quite a few crickets outside. There was one inside in the bathtub the other day.

People from the weather side of the forum we can keep contact through Twitter. My name on Twitter is @marcusbearer .

25 Snowlover { 08.25.14 at 3:40 pm }

I’m glad to see a discussion on here about the upcoming autumn/winter season. I miss the weather blog where we usually go into great detail about the signs in our area. It’s good to see some of the regulars on here.

26 Pam { 08.25.14 at 3:36 pm }

Here in central Virginia we’ve had more than ten foggy mornings this August. In fact, the first seven days were foggy. Leaves are pale and some yellow leaves already on the lawn. Hoping for a snowy, safe, warm winter; but first I just want to enjoy my favorite time of the year…Autumn! I’m hoping that the cool nights and sunny days will produce a very vibrant foliage this year!

27 JLW { 08.25.14 at 2:29 pm }

I am in Des Moines, IA. We have noticed that the migrating geese have returned earlier than normal. They usually aren’t here in the large numbers they have been until mid-September. I have also noticed that some of the leaves are beginning to change already. This summer here has been VERY mild with cool temps and little to no humidity. It’s only been in the past few days that temps have gotten to normal and it’s not predicted to last for long. Although I have loved our summer weather, I am dreading what this winter might bring.

28 Barbara { 08.25.14 at 11:27 am }

I have noticed lots of leaves turning and falling to the ground already and not even fall yet.

29 Marianne { 08.25.14 at 11:06 am }

My husband and I have noted that all the birds are ravenous, both the migratory and non-migratory types. The feeders are all empty every day (we have 5 finch style 6 suet and 7 regular seed plus 6 hummingbird feeders). They are also feasting on the insects and berries on our property, and not just the feeders. We wondered if this was indicative of another harsh winter?

30 nate { 08.25.14 at 10:34 am }

In Southeastern IL we have had some trees already beginning to lose leaves. Had an overabundance of hummingbirds around our feeders. The squirrels have been gathering for about 3 weeks. We too have had fog in August about 5-7 days. Mild summer until the last week, and this week. The humidity has been mild too, which is totally out of the ordinary for our area

31 Mary { 08.25.14 at 10:32 am }

In Central Pa, I have been seeing flocks of thousands of birds flying over our house. Many are stopping in the crop fields to eat but many continue on. I’ve never seen such huge flocks of birds. It’s a very cool sight though; could it be a sign?

32 Julie Collins { 08.25.14 at 10:11 am }

So ungodly hot along southwest Florida coastline. No hurricane or tropical storm activity even though the gulf waters are in the low 90’s. Hoping for an early fall AND cooler temps!

33 Julie { 08.25.14 at 9:58 am }

I live in northeast Indiana — that’s where all the crickets were seen!! There were so many!
(I just posted before this…)

34 Julie { 08.25.14 at 9:52 am }

I’ve noticed VERY many crickets (smaller ones) all over my backyard, and large ones too!

35 Farmers’ Almanac Predicts Another Harsh Winter { 08.25.14 at 1:25 am }

[…] its website, the almanac also lists "unusual abundance of acorns, squirrels gathering nuts early, and […]

36 Bryan Bernier { 08.25.14 at 1:00 am }

The leaves are already falling off the oak trees , here in Ocala Fla. The hurricane seasons have been light , because the seasons peaked in there 30 year cycle a few years ago. In 04 they were one after another. Now there aren’t hardly any. Doesn’t the winters go in cycles too.?

37 Loretta { 08.25.14 at 12:54 am }

WE HAVE HAD A FOG EVERY MORNING HERE IN CASTLEWOOD,VIRGINIA IN AUGUST SO FAR.I HAVE SEEN PLENTY OF ACORNS ON THE GROUND AND SEEN SIGNS OF THE SQUIRRELS GETTING THEM.

38 margaret { 08.25.14 at 12:40 am }

In Northern Ohio, I have not noticed any more fog as the norm. I am missing my Robins, which we generally have thru September. One thing that really bothered me this Summer is lack of fireflys. I know that Michigan is losing theirs. Are we next? Also the tomatoes were not as sweet as the norm. And peaches abysmal…im planning on going South for Winter. 61 years of ole man Winter is enough for me.

39 margaret { 08.25.14 at 12:33 am }

I am disillusioned by the shortage of Robins. We usually have them thru September. They have been gone a few weeks. Not many lightening bugs this year either. Not alot of fog, but flowers were disappointing, and are fairly spent. I havent seen one hummingbird this Summer either.

40 Christy { 08.24.14 at 11:31 pm }

I’m in southwestern Indiana. I’ve noticed we have not had many hummingbirds or orioles this year. We had orioles early, but not since early July. We have had several very dense fog conditions lately. The spiders have been trying to infest the house much more than usual. Acorns seem to be rather numerous this year. Last winter was definitely too cold for me.

41 Nancy { 08.24.14 at 11:11 pm }

Here in Watkinsville,Ga.(close to Athens Ga.)The Persimmon’s I have cut have a knife shape

42 Karen { 08.24.14 at 9:16 pm }

We have seen white wooly worms and last week we had an active hornet’s nest discovered low inside the barn behind square bales of hay. I live in the far NE corner of Alabama in Valley Head on top of Sand Mtn.

43 wanda { 08.24.14 at 8:36 pm }

From NW Fla: LOTS of black fuzzy worms-started in july; acorns fell so soon I’ve been uprooting 3-4″ oak trees. I’ve actually left a few saplings … the acorns fell from my neighbor’s yard, or else squirrels (of which we have an abundance) have carried them as far as my front yard! I’ve even noticed the squirrels eating out the holes on my bluebird houses. No hummingbirds at all this year and we used to have dozens. We had a rat infestation (outside) this summer; fortunately, they are gone now, and I’m from the country and they were HUGE! I live in a small city near ft walton beach in a subdivision so we’ve never had rats before. Our summer has been mild, until this past week. Today, it was 102 with a heat index of 109. Squirrels have sent me to the poor house eating all my bird food (since the rats went away). I’ve seen some larger than usual wolf spiders, but they’ve been outside. Lots of slugs outside lately, too. I’ve already pulled up the bush bean plants and tomato plants. Potatoes have long since been dug, and carrots are coming along nicely with more going in this week, along with pink eye purple hulls. Lots and lots of rain up until mid-end april. So much rain that my citrus trees didn’t produce much, peaches had to be picked early–they skins looked ripe, but the insides were like rocks (had to let them ripen on the counter), and my 1 apple fell off the tree. I attributed that to so much rain. We had a rough winter for Florida last year with an ice storm with sleet several times. A little snow, but we are within spitting distance of Alabama. I don’t mind the cold…even when it’s at or below 10 degrees! Wish I could get my hubby to move north, but he’s from new York, and that isn’t going to happen!

44 Pete Geiger { 08.24.14 at 7:27 pm }

I’ve noticed two things this weekend. The first is the abundance of acorns – smaller in size than past years. The other is how white birch tree leaves are dry and dropping very quickly. Not overly hot and ample rain this summer. Seems unusual. With sunny days and cool nights in August we are being set up for a glorious fall foliage in October.

45 SundanceMike { 08.24.14 at 6:54 pm }

It has been a beautiful, dry, cooler than normal summer in N California this year. We are desperate for heavy rains and mountain snow this winter!!!

46 Peter Kane { 08.24.14 at 6:46 pm }

I see heavy rains this summer and tons of fog this summer. We rarely had a delightful day this summer in the Midwest or Northeast. That is a sign of a cold winter.

47 Sharon { 08.24.14 at 1:18 pm }

Numerous morning fogs which are quite heavy and dangerous on roadways, leaves starting to change colors, We didn’t start having morning dew until early August. It seems to be a cycle similar to one we had here in Central Ohio in the early 50’s.

48 bratzentko2010 { 08.24.14 at 9:44 am }

**fogs** auto correct strikes again :)

49 bratzentko2010 { 08.24.14 at 9:42 am }

Our persimmon trees are simply loaded. Our oak trees have been dropping acorns like crazy (our population of squirrels in my yard are in heaven collecting them LOL) the wooly worms have been crossing the roads for well over a month. Several dense/ heavy dogs in August. The katydids have been singing since last week of July early August. Trees are starting to change colors . Spiders are starting to have bigger webs….these are enough signs for us….we have been splitting wood and putting stuff back for an early/ rough winter here in central Indiana!

50 Lisa { 08.24.14 at 7:22 am }

The weather this summer in Connecticut has been beautiful,. The air has been dry and cooler. The nights have been cooler than normal. I have noticed more bunnies lately. The squirrels are gathering nuts earlier than normal and the fish have been jumping like crazy in the lake. Leaves are starting to turn and drop from the trees. All and all it has been a beautiful summer

51 Lisa { 08.24.14 at 6:22 am }

Last year I saw tremendous spiders and large webs, and it was a cold winter in NW Georgia. This year I have not seen any of these spiders and webs, but I have seen large and beautiful moths of several varieties. Hoping that is a good sign, as I really do not care to repeat last year.

52 Brenda { 08.24.14 at 4:25 am }

Iag see any birds flying over the house in 4 weeks, spiders not try get me in 3 weeks , a whole lot of black bugs a whole lot outside and squirrels has been very busy . It’s been very unusually cold then hot again been very cool summer started of evening and at night then today was 90 very hot. Praying everyone be safe this winter. Enjoy reading everyone’s comments on what is going on where you all live .

53 Cindy { 08.24.14 at 12:27 am }

In central Ky, we have had several heavy fogs and the squirrels have been busy gathering for over a month.

54 Bea { 08.23.14 at 11:01 pm }

We live in Chicago. My mother cares for Feral Cats in the neighborhood by providing food and shelter and a webcam to monitor their activity daily. They are showing signs already of increasing their food intake. Last year they bulked up quite a bit which we know what ultimately happened. Polar Vortex. Watching to see what happens this coming season.

55 Edna { 08.23.14 at 10:40 pm }

In Alabama a couple of solid white wooley worms have been spotted, I understand this could mean a lot of snow this winter.

56 Edna { 08.23.14 at 10:38 pm }

A couple of solid white wooley worms spotted in Alabama. I understand this means a lot of snow this winter.

57 Elaine Lowrance { 08.23.14 at 9:36 pm }

In September of 1964 I was in the second grade. I noticed from my classroom window that Sparrows were beginning to flock together on the playground. Within two weeks we had sweater weather. I have notice this behavior ever year since around September. When the Sparrows begin to flock cold weather was around the corner. I noticed Sparrows beginning to flock around the first or second week of August. I’ve never seen them do that his early. So, it looks like we just may be in for a nasty Winter.

58 Mary { 08.23.14 at 9:35 pm }

Lots of fog this summer in southern WV. I hate winter!!!!

59 Jodi { 08.23.14 at 8:32 pm }

Lots of bumble bees on my flowers, they love the coneflowers. Chipmunks gathering already.

60 Jess { 08.23.14 at 7:08 pm }

This is my first summer in central Texas, this past week is the first time this season that the temps have hit 100. The pecan’s have been falling for a little over a week now, although they are still mostly green. The katydids have been very active for a couple weeks and .finding shells here in there. And there are snails flocking to the back of my house, also, the lizards that usually visit my kitchen windows have been absent lately. (I guess this could be typical for central TX, I’m originally from IL)

61 Ruthie { 08.23.14 at 4:53 pm }

We had real seasons this year! Rare for South East Texas – which is normally cool winter, then hot, hotter, and hottest rest of year with occasional deluge of rain. A relatively cold winter, cool rainy spring, hot but not to dry summer. Perfect, no complaints here. Hoping for a cool fall with some showers!

62 Earnest D. Marcum { 08.23.14 at 4:42 pm }

Birds have already started gathering to head south, a tad early here. Noticed the degree that the magnetic poles have shifted and that is going to cause the eastern U.S. to have more severe winters too. So much to take into consideration but it’s happening!

63 Shane W { 08.23.14 at 4:20 pm }

* ventless ( typo) sorry

64 Shane W { 08.23.14 at 4:18 pm }

I have noticed more squirrel activity. Southeastern Illinois has had a mild August and fog advisories. Im curious, has anyone opened up a persimmon seed yet? It was spoon last winter. We got over 30 inches of snow. So I’d say it maybe another spoon. It was pretty bad last year for us. We bought a endless gas heater for this year because we heard it was going to be worse than last year. I hope the best for everyone!!!

65 Charles { 08.23.14 at 4:00 pm }

The goldfinch have already begun to change color and are very busy with the coneflowers. Signs of an early winter.

66 Greenkaren { 08.23.14 at 3:27 pm }

Sooooo many red oak acorns this year!!!! Also has been a very cool summer. (In Naperville, IL)

67 Marilynn { 08.23.14 at 2:44 pm }

In central Illinois, we have had Fog (several dense fog advisories) the wooly worms are solid black , have noticed a lot of birds flocking. the corn s drying but ts due to getting the seed into the ground extremely early . anything else to look out for ? but i do know the snow fence is gong up early..

68 Andrea { 08.23.14 at 12:56 pm }

unusually hot, dry summer in pacific nw (seattle) – few foggy mornings recently, spiders are suddenly out of control.

69 Ginny Schumacher { 08.23.14 at 12:56 pm }

Squirrels are extra busy here in central California, Santa Cruz County, Really hot weather this summer, still no, much needed rain. Feeling dry and crusty,getting cool at nights now, misty foggy lately. We need rain here in Cali.

70 April Knowles { 08.23.14 at 12:48 pm }

Catepillars, Chipmunks storing seeds and nuts, trees dropping seeds at an alarming rate, acorns on forest floor, dogs shedding summer coat, yellow, orange and red leaves started, I live in Northeastern Ontario…..

71 Lorraine Measor { 08.23.14 at 12:29 pm }

Lots of cones dropping from our spruce trees here in Northern Ontario Canada…..but of course we always get cold winters……-30C is not unusual! Last winter was really awful with long stretches of very cold weather! Welcome to Canada!!!!

72 Carrie { 08.23.14 at 11:54 am }

I just spotted a solid black wooly worm yesterday here in East Tennessee.

73 Suzi { 08.23.14 at 11:42 am }

Southeast Mi. Tons if crickets & spiders coming in my house.. It’s been very chilly at night here.. During the day not as hot either.. Hasn’t been a hot summer either

74 Charlene { 08.23.14 at 11:36 am }

Yes, I feel the shorter days here in south Louisiana, but no different than other years otherwise. No early fog (we usually get that closer to cane harvesting season: late September), we always have squirrel, but, no unusual nut productions, spiders not unusual (haven’t even seen the large banana spiders yet). So not looking like it’s going to be an unusual winter, yet. Last winter was unusually cold for us. We have had a steady rainfall through spring and summer, which I’m happy for. Temps here still in the upper 90’s, but that’s expected.

75 Dee Babin { 08.23.14 at 11:04 am }

I live in Aroostook County, a small farming community, Fort Fairfield, ME. We have been experiencing heavy fog during the early evening hours as well as early morning.

76 S.Allen { 08.23.14 at 10:35 am }

Live in Saratoga NY, having a weird august,but weird thing is No Squirrels. My dad usually has to chase them from bird feeders

77 Aaron { 08.23.14 at 10:32 am }

I’m in Lynchburg, VA and there have been very heavy fogs this August, almost everyday. Many large acorns are on the trees (they haven’t started falling YET) and squirrels are grabbing them from the trees. They’re already stocking up on their nuts, many large spider webs.. I have not seen this many spider webs in a long time! It’s been an unusually cool August and leaves are beginning to change. I’ve been seeing many geese and other birds practice their flying as they begin to head south for winter. Based on what I’ve been seeing.. this does NOT look good! I think animals and nature know far more than we do.

78 Calie { 08.23.14 at 10:24 am }

Southern Ohio here upper 80° weather some 90° weather but there’s lots of spiders and massive spiderwebs and I’m noticed a lot of spider eggs everywhere. There’s a few squirrels around the area that’s going nuts Making my dog go crazy even my dog has not lost her winter fur from last year because it has not been hot enough for her to lose it so she looks really nasty. We have an apple tree in our front yard that’s arty losing the apples and the rotting what they would do in Late fall. Noticed we haven’t had many ladybugs stinkbugs this summer unlike last year when we have an overabundance of them especially the stinkbugs. Signs are all here the trees are turning early specially for August we’re going to have a bad winter I believe and it’s really overdue. Remember when our winners for me was little there was one winter when we had to tunnel out of our home because of all the snow and I would love my daughter to have at least one of those in her lifetime which it looks like maybe we will have a good amount of snow this year. Prepare yourselves it’s coming.

79 Calie { 08.23.14 at 10:16 am }

Southern ohio here upper 80s some 90 degree weather but lots

80 Angie { 08.23.14 at 9:57 am }

In the thumb of Michigan we have had a lot of dense heavy fog in the mornings all throughout August, and sometines in the evenings too. The whole summer has been unusually cool. Leaves on the trees were also starting to turn in the beginning of August on the north western side of the lower peninsula.

81 Angie { 08.23.14 at 9:55 am }

In the thumb of Michigan we have had a lot of dense heavy fog in the mornings all throughout August, and sometines in the evenings too. The whole sunmer has been unusially cool. Leaves on the trees were also starting to turn in the beginning of August on the north western side of the lower peninsula.

82 Crystal { 08.23.14 at 9:53 am }

We have had weird swarms around our pouch light at night. I’ve never seen these types of bugs by the light like this. swarms of little black bettles that cover our screens and door frame.Also had flying ants this year fly in the door by the swarms . I thought it was odd we usually just have moths. I don’t know much about signs of hard weather but thought since it was usual I would post it.

83 Sharon { 08.23.14 at 9:46 am }

In Missouri, I have checked the field corn. Thin husks, loose on the ears, silk not deep into kernels,

84 sarah { 08.23.14 at 9:43 am }

Here in St Louis Missouri I have seen the squirrel activity and the large spiders and webs. biting little fleas or gnats, fog our persimmons seem to be early as well. i have also seen the twin fawns.

85 Robbie { 08.23.14 at 9:19 am }

We are having a busy, cool early fall here in Western NC. Woolie worms are predominantly black with a narrow orange middle band,lots of doe deer with twins,foggy August mornings, Jurassic sized spiders of all types, lots of field crickets/grasshoppers, unusually cool summer/august, our maples have started dropping seeds(helicopters), squirrels have been busy and the most I have seen around here in quite a while, lots of rabbits, lots box turtles seen migrating, more snakes than usual. All of our signs seem to be pointing to a winter that we have not seen the likes of for quite some time. Leaves are turning and falling early as well. The animals know what’s coming. Gonna cut some extra firewood this year.

86 Joyce P { 08.23.14 at 9:15 am }

In Missouri the persimmon seeds have a spoon with a very large bowl!

87 Joyce P { 08.23.14 at 9:13 am }

Missouri: persimmon seeds have a spoon…with a very large bowl!

88 Dale { 08.23.14 at 9:05 am }

Well here in south eastern Ohio there is all kinds of signs that are not good. Haven’t seen a lot of squirrels gathering nuts but our animals have been bombarded by fleas. Never seen the fleas this bad ever.

89 Marti { 08.23.14 at 8:36 am }

Here in southwest Ohio I noticed the burning bushes starting to turn already. Tons of acorns.

90 sapporo1 { 08.23.14 at 8:35 am }

Already the possibility of snow in our mountains today or tonight…along with 2 to 3 inches of rain on top of what fell overnight, the lows tonight will be in the 30s, with highs only managing the mid to upper 50s on the valley floor, much colder in the mountains where I live at…crazy for August

91 Tab brock { 08.23.14 at 8:21 am }

Two solid black wooly worms seen already this year and one that was solid white-sc

92 Diann { 08.23.14 at 8:21 am }

I live in Central Minnesota and the fog mornings I have woken up to this month are like we had a rain over night. It takes until noon time for the dew to start evaporating from the grass. I have oak trees in the yard, but haven’t seen much for the acorns on the ground yet. I hear the squirrels chattering often, but haven’t noticed them gathering acorns for storage. (I do, however, have a squirrel feeder for them and fill that quite often.) We are dairy farmers and in our barns I have noticed a disgusting crop of spiders and their massive webs! I usually sweep for webs once a week, but lately, I have done it daily! The spiders are HUGE this year and if you don’t watch where you are going, you walk right into webbing in some areas – SO GROSS! When that happens, I make Michael Jackson’s Moonwalk look like the waltz! YUK! Crops were at least three weeks late in planting in this area due to our extended winter this past spring – Don’t need to repeat that one! Praying for a normal winter this year – last year, it was brutal in this area!

93 Sue Paulson { 08.23.14 at 8:07 am }

Traveling from Cherokee NC to Pigeon Forge TN the elk had started bugeling, and starting to go into rut, this was told to is by the ranger. They stated they started this in July and rut wood start in August. My frien in KY had a friend tell her katydids were singing, so first frost would be in September

94 Pam { 08.23.14 at 7:47 am }

We keep waiting for summer to start here. Haven’t had one day above 90°, which is unusual. Cool nights, no need to run the a/c. Trees are starting to turn colors, lots of fog, an over abundance of white moths at night here in southern Michigan.

95 Kip { 08.23.14 at 7:33 am }

East-Central Indiana. Wooly worms are 4-6 weeks early and solid black. Fogs in August. Haven’t hit 90 all summer. Frost in June. Currently dealing with an over-abundance of field crickets. After last year, we are all cutting wood for this year. Sigh.

96 Kathy McNulty { 08.23.14 at 5:43 am }

Still Africa hot here in Florida. Expecting another mild winter.

97 Trina- central california { 08.23.14 at 3:23 am }

Not a great summer for fruits and veggies. Sycamore trees already losing leafs

98 Lisa Barger { 08.23.14 at 2:58 am }

In northern Indiana, we have a hornets nest that is only about seven feet off the ground.

99 doclovez38 { 08.23.14 at 12:22 am }

well i dont know if this matters but theres ana abundance of grass hoppers like never ive seen before but i mean alot squirels have been hunting for food like never before acorns yes ive seen more than usual its gettint hard to walk on sidewalks of so many is this a messaga that winter is going to be bad this year???

100 Jennifer Evans { 08.23.14 at 12:02 am }

A second rut in wildlife… an abundance, because half won’t make it through the rough winter. We have baby rabbits, tiny and deer with spots still on them.

101 Maria { 08.22.14 at 11:14 pm }

Stink-bug started gathering around my screens in early August. Early morning fogs in East Tennessee.

102 Melissa Glenn { 08.22.14 at 11:11 pm }

Hornets nest up high in ohio -ky

103 myrria holloway { 08.22.14 at 11:02 pm }

I am from Emporia,KS .I have never seen such large spider webs,some are over ten feet talland over six feet wide

104 Laura Rogers { 08.22.14 at 10:53 pm }

100* here in Columbia, South Carolina.
No fog.
The squirrels are laying in the shade fanning themselves.

105 Susan { 08.22.14 at 10:42 pm }

Still in the upper 90’s in Florida. Winter? Hahahahahahahaaaa No.

106 Cheryl Lesher { 08.22.14 at 10:29 pm }

Here in central PA, we had a number of nights where the temps dropped in the 40s, only 3 days above 85 the whole summer. A lot of foggy mornings, and tons of spider webs. Crickets and katydids singing loudly day and night, oak trees are loaded with acorns and the squirrels are a scampering. We have mice coming in the house already and the walnut leaves are falling. I expect a cold snowy winter again this year.

107 scott { 08.22.14 at 10:26 pm }

Last week I saw a huge flock of geese up hi in the sky in V formation heading south. Also have noticed a-lot of huge spider webs. Out of the last mount it has been foggy 9 times.I live in northern ILLINOIS 5 Miles from Wisconsin state line.

108 Janean R { 08.22.14 at 10:19 pm }

Gulfport MS- Last year I had over 30 humming birds feeding at one time, this past summer Ive been lucky to see two at a time. Also the poplar trees are changing colors and the leaves at starting to fall.

109 Julie { 08.22.14 at 10:14 pm }

We’ve had much cooler days and nights for the whole summer…a few days of fog rolling in from Lake Huron (strange for August).. And today I noticed a lot of large green acorns on the ground…Michigan…..

110 Jayne { 08.22.14 at 10:13 pm }

I’m from Missouri and have noticed a very extended cottonwood allergy season. In some areas around St. Louis, it sometimes still looks like a snowstorm there is so much of it still falling. Cottonwood season usually ends around the same time Dogwoods and Flowering Crabtrees drop their flowers.

111 Kim Brown { 08.22.14 at 10:02 pm }

Colorado has had many August mornings with heavy fog.

112 keek { 08.22.14 at 9:57 pm }

Hello from Britsh Columbia Canada. I wonder what it means when the Horse Chestnut trees don’t produce any chestnuts and the Canadian Geese aren’t practice flying at all. A warmer winter for us perhaps? Btw…. I live In the capital of BC, Victoria!

113 Dee { 08.22.14 at 9:57 pm }

Live in mid missouri and almost every morning in august have been foggy except maybe 5.

114 Sally Benson { 08.22.14 at 9:41 pm }

I have a yard and woods full of oaks and they are loaded with acorns , they started to fall over a month ago, I live in the middle of Michigan. We had a lot of rain and very cold nights and a lot of cold or cool days. The past 2 weeks we have had a lot of fog.

115 Michele { 08.22.14 at 9:41 pm }

We live in Southern California and have had a lot of heavy thick fog in the mornings lately.

116 Larry Rice { 08.22.14 at 9:32 pm }

Here in Topeka, Kansas we have had 6 days of fog this month but a lot of 90 degree days with no rain .

117 jim powell { 08.22.14 at 9:29 pm }

i been seeing alot of wooleybuggers ,early winter, soon cold nights,

118 jim powell { 08.22.14 at 9:29 pm }

i been seeing alot of wooleybuggers ,early winter, soon cold nights,jim powell tuscaloosa alabama,soon hunting season,i love cold weather,roll tide .

119 jim powell { 08.22.14 at 9:28 pm }

i been seeing alot of wooleybuggers ,early winter, soon cold nights,jim powell tuscaloosa alabama,soon hunting season,i love cold weather,roll tide baby

120 Lynda { 08.22.14 at 9:18 pm }

Near Duluth, MN we have Maple trees with leaves already turning color. Have had lots of heavy fog recently, usually the warmest & driest part of the year and it’s been damp & cool. Last winter had the most plowable snow events than the last 20 years. After 2 summers of many days reaching 90 degrees it’s been great to have a summer where we’ve only been that warm once.

121 Elaine { 08.22.14 at 9:14 pm }

No acorns, a few squirrels, ( no bushy tails) , no fogs, I haven’t noticed and spider webs out of the ordinary. A cool mild summer here in southern New England. Hoping for a mild winter.

122 Terri { 08.22.14 at 9:11 pm }

In Middle TN we have seen 5-10 days of heavy morning fog this month. Acorns, hickory and black walnuts falling – still very green. Some of our many aged trees have patches of bright yellow leaves and the black walnut trees have lost about 1/3 of their leaves mid-August. Numerous huge webs. Wasps are going crazy and very aggressive. Mud daubers who never nested on our cedar house have rows upon rows of mud tubes – many with holes drilled in them.

123 Alisa { 08.22.14 at 9:11 pm }

Lots and lots of fog almost daily in SW VA. Lots of rain too, precious little sun. Tree swallows left earlier than usual, I’ve seen some of the biggest spiders lately that really creeped me out! Plenty of spider webs every morning in the yard and hanging from the evergreens. Has been a generally cool summer for us. Saw a flock of geese just yesterday. Many of my favorite birds have been in short supply this summer…hoping they are just busy.

124 gary reynolds { 08.22.14 at 9:01 pm }

here in west tennessee we are starting to see the brown and black wooly worms earlier than last year. We have had heavy fog several times this month.

125 Teresa A Hurley { 08.22.14 at 8:58 pm }

Live in southern Wisconsin.. near Illinois.. In early July Milwaukee had real bad bouts with extreme fog… not so much here, with the exception of this morning. ( we live 40 miles west of Milwaukee) . As for squirrels, they have been packing away corn and nuts all summer. Have not seen one caterpillar yet, nor heard the crickets. On a trip to Lacrosse area early this month, I did notice spots of turning leafs, although that could be from a lack of rain.

126 Melissa Ladnier { 08.22.14 at 8:50 pm }

South Mississippi on Gulf of Mexico. It was 104 today on my truck gage. I’ve had lots of small brown centipedes all over my house for the first time and the black flies have been worse than ever.

127 Dee Osier { 08.22.14 at 8:45 pm }

Although there are some muted colors in the maple trees here in Northern NYS, I have yet to hear crickets…. That is typically an indicator to me that we are heading into the colder months. the birds (finches, cardinals, hummingbirds) are very active… In fact, today I was shocked to see the hummingbird sit on the pole along with a finch and feed even though there were other larger birds feeding. Since we began using Safflower seeds a couple months ago, we haven’t had any squirrels or larger birds though…

128 Margie Sokolow { 08.22.14 at 8:34 pm }

Forgot to mention, lots of crickets chirping in the daytime, Katydid shells here and there, got a gigantic Wasp’s nest under our roof eve that keeps getting bigger and we have to call a professional in to dispose of. (N.E. Ohio).

129 ShawnM { 08.22.14 at 8:30 pm }

In my earlier post I meant to say I am from Missouri.

130 Margie Sokolow { 08.22.14 at 8:28 pm }

Here in N.E. Ohio, it has reached down into the 40’s at night as well as the 50’s. Lots of rain. The burning bushes starting turning at the tops awhile ago already, and the Rose of Sharon trees have only recently begun to bloom. Also, saw a HUGE spider and a HUGE web on the corner of our house. It has been for a few weeks now feeling like Fall weather mixed in with some 80 degree weather.. very strange weather!

131 cyndilou { 08.22.14 at 8:24 pm }

We have had more fog than usual in Charlotte NC this month. I don’t know about the praying mantis and toads/frogs, cicadas, preying mantis all normal. We hear frogs until mid-January here. I did have frogs/toads lay eggs in my garden this year. That’s never happened before. I’ve got tree frogs and toads, they are so tiny. Other than the lack of days in excess of 90 degrees this summer, I can’t really say I have noticed anything else.

132 Susanne Carpenter { 08.22.14 at 8:23 pm }

What do we look for in the desert southwest? No winter last yr. Looking forward to a good winter

133 Lori { 08.22.14 at 8:20 pm }

We live in Iowa and this is the first year I have seen woodpeckers drinking from the oriole feeder. And yes we have been having fog.

134 cathy { 08.22.14 at 8:18 pm }

10 fogs so far here in east tennessee. also saw my first wooly worm and it was black on both ends.

135 Teri Gaines { 08.22.14 at 7:28 pm }

Just saw these the other day ,praying mantis that is. Fog here too 50 miles from Omaha Nebr. in Atlantic Ia.

136 donna { 08.22.14 at 7:23 pm }

Acorns are falling from 100 yr old tree.

137 daisyrothschild { 08.22.14 at 7:21 pm }

The grackles & blackbirds have flocked! Well over 500 in our backyards yesterday. Good thing the grapes are covered in bird netting, because that’s what they want, they’re over half ripe. 5 years ago the harvest was Sept 20, exactly. And the buckthorn berries they eat during winter are completely black! I saw the local squirrel bury a peanut 2 days ago…way too early.

138 ErynSmith { 08.22.14 at 7:19 pm }

I have noticed the silver maples on it golf course started changing early this year; late July. I have also noticed many of our normal wildlife is much smaller this year. Oh, we live in western Colorado….

139 sheryl { 08.22.14 at 7:12 pm }

we have seen more goldfinches in Iowa, lots more and bigger webs, squirrels are busy and I have seen fewer robins lately. Quite a few foggy days the past couple weeks as well

140 Janet { 08.22.14 at 6:52 pm }

I have seen a much larger number of dragonflys this summer way more than I have ever seen. Why?

141 lisa { 08.22.14 at 6:51 pm }

i’ve been seeing alot of robins in my yard this past week.

142 Pamela Koudijs { 08.22.14 at 6:47 pm }

Forgot to mention I live in southern ON…20 minutes south of Niagara Falls…lake effect snow is a huge weather factor for our area.

143 Jo Le Mere { 08.22.14 at 6:46 pm }

We here in east central Illinois are seeing black wooly worms already crossing the roads and hearing the sounds of katy-dids which we usually do not hear until middle September! I have not yet seen any praying mantis which is usually a sign of an early Fall. We have only had a couple of fogs and those have not been thick ones.

144 Pamela Koudijs { 08.22.14 at 6:45 pm }

Lots of acorns from my oak trees…the squirrels have been busy gathering them…we had a truly traditional winter last year…looking forward to a repeat…love the snow…:)))

145 Willie McKinley { 08.22.14 at 6:42 pm }

I live in Hocking co.in Ohio we have had several foggy mornings and I have seen some high hornets nest but what makes me wonder is the black birds are flocking up in huge flocks already and I spend alot of time in the woods and usually don’t see this around here until the end of September and the first of October after last year has to make you wonder.

146 Kayla { 08.22.14 at 6:30 pm }

The persimmons are huge here in northeast Texas! Still green tho, but the trees are full along with the pecan trees. Been hearing frogs & crickets every night here (that’s normal)

147 Donna { 08.22.14 at 6:26 pm }

Not only are the spider webs bigger, I have noticed earlier activity with those that hibernate for the winter. They started foraging last month. Ducks are grouping in extreme large groups already. Leaves started changing the last week of July. Not to mention heavy fog a lot and mice seem to be migrating from the fields to sturdier shelter for what I feel will be an overly long cold winter here in northern Maine.

148 marge moore { 08.22.14 at 6:25 pm }

We certainly have had a lot of fog in Barnesville, Ohio! Most of the whole month of August.

149 Rachel { 08.22.14 at 6:22 pm }

Not too much fog in the mornings in Maryland. Early morning spider webs don’t seem any worse than normal. I leave for work at 6:20 am and haven’t had to wipe my face of webs very often. Hopeful!

150 Mary D { 08.22.14 at 6:20 pm }

No fog yet in Eastern PA, nor large spider webs. Saw small flocks of geese fly over the house 2 weeks ago,. Saw a white wooly caterpillar today. Had a relatively cool summer this year.

151 Phyllis { 08.22.14 at 6:18 pm }

I have never seen so many thick spider webs in northern California. The trees along the river are covered with orb spider webs.

152 Tanya { 08.22.14 at 6:18 pm }

We’ve had ants in the house which we’ve never had a problem before. Our dog (german shepherd) is shedding already and I’m talking 3 poodles worth every day. It’s been unusually cool here in OH just like last year, and the leaves have already started changing.

153 mary { 08.22.14 at 6:12 pm }

We have had fog almost every day this month in Ly.

154 Debbie { 08.22.14 at 6:10 pm }

my spiders are building so many webs, one would think they were trying to knit me a new sweater. And my squirrels have been busy even digging up forgotten walnuts in the yard.

155 Margaret { 08.22.14 at 6:06 pm }

In Utah our August has been abnormally cool!

156 ShawnM { 08.22.14 at 4:20 pm }

We’ve had several fogs this month. One or two were heavy fogs. I have seen several high spider webs. Some from the wires to the power pole behind the house and some attached to the house from the bottom edge of the roof and some on the front porch. And a good sized garden spider with a good sized web near the house and the edge of the front porch.

The squirrels have bushier tails than usual. I have seen many Monarch butterflies. I haven’t seen or heard the geese in a while. The crickets either began showing up and singing last month or early this month. We’ve had mice in the house. I am waiting to see the woolly worms. I am hoping for a very cold very snowy winter! I loved the blizzard we had February 1 2011 we ended up with between 18-20 inches of snow. Last year we had thundersnow with the three storms from Febraury to March the most thundersnow occured with the first and third winter storm.

157 Rebecca { 08.22.14 at 4:16 pm }

Lots of August fog in Maine. Almost every morning. I’m begging Mother Nature for some mercy right now!