Waxing Crescent

Sure Signs of Spring

Sure Signs of Spring

March is here which means spring officially arrives on the 20th, but for many areas it’s still very cold and very white.

But there are a few signs of spring showing up, aren’t there?

Have you noticed the days seem a bit longer — daylight wise? The sun is setting later and later each day, and this weekend we spring ahead to DST, which means even more daylight in the evening.

I have spotted robins out and about, which my mom used to say were a sure sign of spring, but I also recently learned that some robins, especially the males, endure the cold winter in northern areas and do not migrate south. But I do hear a few more birds singing (or perhaps asking me where the bird seed is).

Budding flowers and trees are a definite sign of spring, but alas it’s still winter here in the Northeast and we won’t be seeing that for awhile.

Yes, it’s time to get ready to stop and watch the signs of spring evolve so we don’t miss it.

What about you? What are the first signs of spring in your region and have you noticed any yet (be sure to list your state in your comment)? Do you watch for signs of spring or allow the warmer weather and new season to catch you by surprise?

1 James Peet { 03.20.14 at 11:07 pm }

The bird that shows it’s spring in Iowa is the red-winged blackbird and today I saw my first this spring…four of them

2 mstack1 { 03.19.14 at 9:43 am }

In the Kansas City area, the birds are singing, (saw a group of robins last week) the trees are budding and my hibiscus are up and starting to bloom. So far in March it is cold then warm then cold again. Temperatures last week got up to around 75, this week will be 45 – 65.

3 Charlie { 03.07.14 at 2:50 pm }

In South Georgia, the azalea are blooming.

4 Vicki { 03.06.14 at 4:47 pm }

I am so so tired of Ole Man Winter already, sorry but please go away……I have shoveled more snow here in Michigan this year than ever and living on a main artery does not help. Snow is still about 8 ft. high piled everywhere in my neighborhood. In front of my home, on the side, ice everywhere…YUK!!!! I am Ready for warm weather to let the are back into my home. ;)

5 Denise { 03.04.14 at 2:55 pm }

Lynchburg, VA– I’ve seen robins, the dogwoods are budding, days are getting noticeably longer and that March sun angle does make the sun feel a lot warmer than it would in January! But by going outside you would definitely know winter is still in full force! There is snow on the ground with temperatures in the 20s. Temperatures plunged into the single digits last night as well.

But if it makes you feel any better.. normal highs across the country rise in the month of March. In the beginning of March our normal high is 53 and by March 31 our normal high is up to 63. So the cold will lose its sting even if temperatures lag behind the averages in the eastern US through early spring.

6 sheila { 03.04.14 at 8:25 am }

cant wait to see more signs in northern michigan,we have had a hard winter this year.

7 Sue { 03.04.14 at 8:03 am }

Live in Central Michigan. Trees are budding, more bird singing and so glad to see the increased daylight.

8 Deborah Hussey-Welsby { 03.04.14 at 7:45 am }

South Wales, UK. After an appalling 3 months of heavy rain & flooding in all parts of the UK, Spring seems to have arrived. Definitely more daylight hours, more bird calls, trees & shrubs are budding up with Spring flowers popping up everywhere.

9 linda { 03.04.14 at 12:08 am }

I have head the “peep” frogs and we have winter robins.

10 Peter Kane { 03.03.14 at 9:56 pm }

I hear more birds chirping than I did in January.

11 Judy Anderson { 03.03.14 at 8:53 pm }

In Alexandria, Virginia I notice maple trees budding, longer days, allergies acting up lol

12 melissa { 03.03.14 at 8:06 pm }

Well here in good old georgia it never got really cold. Sure we had some 13-18 degree weather. Rain sleet and two minutes worth of snow. The Rose bush is sporting new sprigs and new leaves. The Bush in front of my house never really died but has too started re budding. Pollen is everywhere u look too.

13 Jacli { 03.03.14 at 7:41 pm }

My grandson and I watch for the first signs of spring. We love to see the trees begin to bloom, the daffodils are blooming and of course the Robins are everywhere here in SW NC. Though today you wouldn’t know spring is sprouting, with falling temps from 70 yesterday and 29 with rain, sleet and snow.

14 George { 03.03.14 at 7:37 pm }

I have seen signs of spring here in north Carolina . Plum tree budding , dog wood budding peach tree budding and grass is getting greener every day ! We do have the threat of a winter mix for weather report for tonight tho!

15 joni teller { 03.03.14 at 7:26 pm }

Long Island NY.. Signs of Spring…Sunrise earlier…Sunset later no doubt…I have a touch of SAD..need sun.so I feel much better.song birds are back…so so asking for my seeds…saw a Robin…haven’t seen one all winter. Winter from he’ll for mr…slipped on black ice. ..fractured rib.

16 Marty Bolton { 03.03.14 at 1:12 pm }

In Haslet, TX (10 mi north of Ft Worth), two things happen like clockwork in late Feb: The geese fly north and the Bradford Pear trees bloom. Also, there are usually a few very warm days followed by one last blast of winter. (It was 83 & 81 on Feb 28 – Mar 1 followed by sleet & freezing rain on Mar 2 and a 68 DEGREE DROP to a low of 13 on Mar 3.)