Register | Log in

« | »

A Look Back At What Things Used to Cost

A Look Back At What Things Used to Cost

What did things cost 100, 75, 50, and 25 years ago?

1914

1. compare years ago till now.. but just wait for another 30 years or 50 years
    Car: $60,000
    House: $1,000,000
    Milk: $10.00
    Bread: $7.00
    Gas: $9.00
    how do you like that !!!! what FOR to keep increase every year just leave it alone !!! not worth to keep increase every year !! it’s don’t make sense at all to me !!!

by Tanya on Apr 17, 2014 at 7:00 pm

2. My first job, outside of home chores, was working for a farmer. I was paid $.50 for hoeing the weeds from a quarter mile long row of sugar beets and $.75 for a half mile long row. The weeds were 2-3 feet tall. I was given a hoe that had been cut down to 3′ long so I could use it like an ax. The farmer picked me up at 6:30 am and brought me home at 6:00 pm. I had to take my own lunch. The most I was ever able to do was ten rows a day-$5.00/day. This was in eastern Colorado in 1967. I thought I was a King for making so much money. My mom made me put all but $1.00 in a savings account each week. The dollar went toward buying a baseball mitt from the local hardware store. Hard work, but great times. To bad young kids today do not learn how to work for what they want-they just whine enough and they get it from someone- their family or the government!!!

by Steve W on Apr 17, 2014 at 9:58 am

3. The minimum wage in 1964 was five silver quarters. ($1.25)
    The silver/melt value of those five coins today is $19.85
    We don’t have a wage problem—we have a MONEY problem.

by Thom Pav on Feb 24, 2014 at 7:34 pm

4. Years ago when the price of things was low the pay to workers was also low. Plus back in the day the people were not TAXED to death like they are now. Our great government taking money from the working class and just giving it to people that do not want to earn their own money!

by Robert Eck on Feb 12, 2014 at 6:51 pm

5. The most important consideration is to compare the rise in prices to the rise in income. Also, remember that in many of those years families only had a single car(if any) and a single income. Nearly all meals were eaten or made at home, there was a single radio not four TVs, cable, four computers, internet, a single phone not five cell phones. People back then knew better how to live within their means.

by Barbara on Feb 12, 2014 at 12:22 pm

6. Yup, in 1967 fifty cents worth of gas would get me to my girlfriend’s house and back, (40 mi) round trip!

by Curt on Feb 11, 2014 at 10:18 pm

7. I remember those days well. One great one that I remember is buying cigarettes 3 packs for $1.00.

by Earlma Vincent on Feb 11, 2014 at 10:15 pm

8. I also remember my first job selling shoes part time after school. I was paid 50 cents an hour -minimum wage. If you made $100 per week’., you were really making the money big time.

by Fred on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:39 pm

9. Yes, I remember, but I also remember that I never made more than 1 dollar an hour until 1970!!!!!! And the raise only brought me to 1.10 an hour! Not interested in going back!

by Donna Statler on Feb 11, 2014 at 4:25 pm

10. Nice. I wish prices were their again. Mabe people could live. Not starve.

by jason on Feb 11, 2014 at 1:37 pm