Waxing Crescent

Pre or Post Christmas Birthday?

Pre or Post Christmas Birthday?

If your birthday happens to fall in either December or January you probably know what I’m asking. Is having your birthday better in December — before Christmas — or right after in January?

I know some people whose birthdays are so close to Christmas that their birthdays are slightly overlooked, lumped in with the Christmas celebration or perhaps postponed to a later date.  After all, December is a very busy month with decorating, shopping, wrapping, and parties.

But what about January? My birthday is three weeks after Christmas and for the most part, I think it’s better than having it in December because the holiday season is officially over, decorations are down, and an event to celebrate is welcomed. However it’s also a time when people have recently bought you a gift, may be sick of shopping or cutting back their spending so they can pay their December bills (then again January is a big month for sales.) It’s also a time of year when many, including myself, decide to make a New Year’s resolution to cut out sweets and eat healthier, but then my birthday rolls around and I have to indulge.

I guess you could answer another birthday is a gift in and of itself no matter when it occurs, but I thought it would be fun to ask any of you who celebrate a birthday in December or January what your thoughts were about having a birthday so close to Christmas and the New Year. Did you ever feel slighted or wished your birthday fell a different time? Do any of your children have a birthday this time of year? How do you make it special? Share your thoughts here and if you happen to have a birthday this or next month — Happy Birthday!!

1 Eugene { 01.03.14 at 7:15 pm }

how do I find images of the moon in Nashville Tn from 12-25-2013 unitl 1-3-2014. Yes I just found out the kid has a project due! gotta Luv Em!

2 Chiara { 12.11.13 at 9:58 am }

My birthday is on Christmas Eve and my family makes it sure that on Christmas Eve we are celebrating my birthday and not Christmas, which means no Christmas gifts are given to me. They decorate our house with balloons and put happy birthday signs everywhere. Of course most of my gifts are wrapped in Christmas paper but I love Christmas time so I do not mind at all. I feel very blessed that one day I can celebrate with my family and friends and then the next day be able to celebrate with everyone again for Christmas. I am not sure what it is like having a birthday any other time so I can’t tell you if it’s worse than having one in January all I know is that I do not feel overlooked being the day before!

3 Thomas { 12.11.13 at 9:33 am }

December 27th–As a child, I hated it. There weren’t many of my friends around and I could never have a big party. I also perceived I was being slighted on the loot which wasn’t ever the case. My parents and closest relatives always made a distinction. Now, I wouldn’t trade it for the world. It’s a great time to spend with friends and family and since I work in education I’m always on vacation then!

4 Oksana { 12.11.13 at 2:31 am }

My birthday is Jan 1st, New Years Day, Growing up I was always slighted, my parents rarely did anything for my birthday, my brother who is 4 years younger was born on Jan 3rd, so my parents always had a birthday party for him and I was an add on, if I was really good I was allowed 1 friend to come over for his birthday to help me keep all the little kids behaving and entertained. As an adult I frequently felt slighted because anytime I planned a get together, most would be so hung over from New Years Eve that they either didn’t come or had quit the headache from too much fun the night before. I’ve tried going out with my friends on New Years Eve, but was overshadowed by that holiday celebration. My oldest of 5 kids was born Dec 29, several weeks past her due date and my youngest was born Jan 3rd also several weeks past his due date. Not only did we do something special for them on their birthdays, I made sure we did a 1/2 year celebration with all their friends and usually a pool party or something similar. My nephew was born on Dec 31st, New Years Eve and he is just now hitting his teenage years. He also seems to be overlooked in the craziness of the holiday mix. I have a cousin also born Jan 1st and another born Jan 15, several sister in laws in Jan, and a couple more cousins in the mid Jan ranges. Very busy time of year for us

5 Ellen { 12.10.13 at 10:55 pm }

Mine is Jan 8th, one week from New Years Day. It’s not the best time and I’ve always been unhappy about celebrating it in the cold. Plus, there is usually a snow storm the weekend around my birthday. :(. I’m old enough now to let it go though. My brother always tells me to go someplace warm! Also, celebrating my half birthday in June sounds like a great idea!

6 Leslie Thieman { 12.10.13 at 9:27 pm }

My birthday is January 25. I always enjoyed getting another round of gifts after Christmas. It gave me something to look forward to. But my party was usually snowed out and that was so disappointing.

7 Mojoartist { 12.10.13 at 2:47 pm }

There are 5 birthdays in December of family & friends. I feel your pain on both sides: receiving & giving.

8 cynde { 12.10.13 at 12:22 pm }

When I was young my parents forgot my Dec 26 birthday more than once. It was also their anniversary.

9 Camille Olsen { 12.10.13 at 12:07 pm }

We had a daughter born on Dec 24th and I always felt she was slighted but many time we had her birthday in the summer. We also have 7 grand kids birthdays between Dec 31st to Jan 26th. very busy time for us.

10 Jean { 12.10.13 at 11:26 am }

My sister-in-law has a birthday on 12/26. We often celebrate her “half birthday” on 6/26, which gives her a chance to have a day of her own (not lumped in with Christmas) and summer presents, which are often more lighthearted than winter ones (scarves, hats, etc.). : )

11 Karlee Thompson { 12.10.13 at 11:12 am }

I’ve never noticed Christmas interfering but my parents would remind me it was close so maybe I didn’t get as much as I would have had my birthday been in another month. AND tomorrow I celebrate the 50th anniversary of my Sweet Sixteen Birthday!!!

12 Sue { 12.10.13 at 10:57 am }

We have an entire slew of family whose birthdays surround the holidays- my birth mom & sister are late November, one brother is Dec 5, another Dec 13, my a. mom was Dec 13, aunt & son-in-law Dec 14, me Dec 15. My grandson was born, as I predicted, on January 1, also my sis-in-law. Seriously, the January 1st birthdays are getting left in the dust because of Christmas- I nearly forget my poor grandson’s birthday! Mine on 12/15 has always garnered dinner and a small present. The recognition is all that I really care about at my age (57 on Sunday). Happy Birthday to the rest of you/us!

13 belinda { 12.10.13 at 10:55 am }

my Daughter is on the 23 she was born day early my little Christmas baby is now 34 years old

14 Sandra Scaccia { 12.10.13 at 10:49 am }

My birthday is December 19th. My sister was born 363 days later , December 17th and my brother was born on the 10th. So needless to say, I did not have my own birthday party. We were always lumped together. Last year I turned 50 and a couple friends gave me a small birthday party. My first ever. My husband survived a serious motorcycle accident a few months previous so My gratitude was not wasted on my lack of a birthday celebration. Denny’s supplied my free birthday dinner. Sometimes its not the day of your birth that is to be celebrated but everyday that you can give back to those you love

15 Merrie { 12.10.13 at 10:40 am }

I was born on Christmas. The saying goes: you get the present for Christmas, and the batteries that go with it, for your birthday! Merrie

16 cynthia { 12.10.13 at 10:35 am }

my mothers birthday was chistmas day mine is the 14th

17 terry daniels { 12.10.13 at 10:32 am }

My daughter’s birthday is CHRISTMAS DAY ! I always make her a b-day cake with candles & gave her a separate gift wrapped in b-day paper. Now that she is older she gets money, but I still make her that cake ! AND, we sing HAPPY BIRTHDAY to her still !

18 Julie { 12.10.13 at 10:31 am }

My birthday is 12 days before Christmas. Let’s see . . . the combination birthday/Christmas gift, Christmascy items for my birthday, and my favorite, a hat for my birthday and the matching scarf for Christmas!!

19 Chris { 12.10.13 at 10:16 am }

I have a birthday about three weeks after Christmas also…..never has been special as everyone is broke, partied out and blahed with it all. As a child it was the same. Yuk! I celebrate myself every day I can……and I celebrate all of us winter people!

20 Wendy { 12.10.13 at 10:15 am }

My daughter was born on December 26th, I was certain she was going to be a Christmas baby but she took her sweet time, still does :) We learned early in that most people won’t come to a birthday party anywhere close to Christmas- they are too busy and overwhelmed with other gatherings. What to do? When she was very young we would often choose a date between her and her brother’s September date (they are only 21 mos apart in age) for a joint party, with smaller at home celebrations and a small gift day of their birthday but as they got older that didn’t work either, they understandably wanted their own days.
So we began a new tradition, they could choose a party or a special day out- the zoo, a museum, shopping, whatever they wanted within reason and dependent on weather. We have consequently been to Sun Records, Rock and Soul Museum, Graceland, The Ryman, Country Music Hall of Fame, Several historic houses and properties, art museums, any number of state parks for hiking, to the zoo in freezing temps, made the rounds of local antique stores and done lots of cooler camping :) It has been a blast every time. We took the money we would have spent on the party to make a special day full of memories and they still talk about them to this day. My son got lucky this year and Memphis held Downtown Museum Day the weekend of his birthday- we packed in multiple museums and historic properties at his request. This year my daughter has chosen the Johnny Cash Museum- both my kids are singers and musicians and crazy into music, maybe all of those music museums are why.
Each family has to decide what works for them but for us it became more about family memories than brief parties that were soon over with and faded into the memory of a string of parties. These days are always so special, always something new and an experience we get to share. My kids are 15 and turning 17 into 2 weeks and they still choose these family days over their friends. That is a gift for me :)

21 elaine { 12.10.13 at 10:07 am }

my birthday is Dec 20 I have never felt I was neglected in any way. One of my grandmothers lived in a city far away and she always celebrated my b-day with my brothers in july so I got 2 birthdays. and my fathers is jan 6 we alway have a celebration for him and my grandson is the 11 jan again celebrate just lots of celebration in this family I don’t think anyone feels neglected …

22 Donna { 12.10.13 at 10:06 am }

December 27……I’d rather not talk about it.

23 Marie Shumate { 12.10.13 at 9:53 am }

My brother’s is the 15th of December and mine is Christmas Eve,our mother always made sure we had early parties so we were never left out and it worked well.I love it that its Christmas Eve. I get more gifts and my husband makes sure I always get jewerly on my Birthday.If the weather is bad I have a summer party so I get the best of 3 worlds. :)

24 Valerie { 12.10.13 at 9:50 am }

My birthday is in early December. My mother-in-law’s birthday is on Christmas. My father and my son are both New Year’s Eve babies.

Growing up, Christmas decorations weren’t put up until after my birthday. That was easy and my dad didn’t care…we just went out to eat to a really nice restaurant on his birthday/New Years. But one thing I did notice, once I was older: my Valentine’s gifts were a bit more than just candy and a card. My Easter basket was always more than chocolate bunnies and eggs.

So, as a family who continues to celebrate all our December birthdays…we don’t move our celebrations…we celebrate on that day. We just add a bit more to the other holidays throughout the year. So for Valentine’s Day, maybe there’s an extra toy and shirt. At Easter, the basket is quite huge and inside is very little candy/chocolate but some good toys and several DVDs. DVDs are a great price that time of year. :)

In other words, we celebrate the birthdays, as they happen as that day is a gift and should be celebrated as such. But we also give more on holidays throughout the year to help spread the love. :)

25 Ruth Renedo { 12.10.13 at 9:41 am }

Both my daughters were born in Dec (28th) and Jan (10th). Their father and I made sure they were not denied celebrations. We took advantage of post Christmas sales and between Christmas and birthdays they made out ok.

26 Jo { 12.10.13 at 9:38 am }

New Year’s day baby…..like Heather (above) it was overlooked, forgotten or an after thought. Never a special day.

27 Katie Lunsford { 12.10.13 at 9:36 am }

Ya, I’m a Jan birthday & I hate it. SOOOO much!!! Everyone is partied, cooked, celebrated, shopped & niced out! I get regifts from some, if you didn’t want it for Christmas what makes you think I want it for my birthday?!? No one wants to gather, too many social obligations in Dec, Jan is for relaxing & recouping. We are all broke, so my fam is scraping for the $$ just to make a cake, much less a gift or big dinner… never do we get to go out for birthday dinner. Too broke for dinner, well you can forget presents! It adds insult to injury when ya know the cold in Jan makes my body ache, I have SAD and can’t even think about warming up till spring! I’d give so much to trade birthdays with my kid, he’s a mid June boy!!

28 jennifer { 12.10.13 at 9:36 am }

my birthday is new years eve and I just hate it

29 kryssa Clark { 12.10.13 at 9:33 am }

My birthday is 4 days before Christmas and sucks. We never had much money growing up, in turn I received birthmas presents from all of my family. My son’s birthday is 9 days before Christmas and I plan to make sure he gets a separate celebration, unlike me.

30 Julia { 12.10.13 at 9:28 am }

My birthday is the day after Christmas – often overlooked except by my sweet sister who never forgets and never uses Christmas wrap :)

31 Jennifer { 12.10.13 at 9:26 am }

We have three January birthdays in our family and I consider it a blessing because we have the best sales of the entire year with which to prepare for them. I also agree with the poster who said that it helps the cold/nasty/unpleasant season to pass more quickly!

32 Heather { 12.10.13 at 9:15 am }

My birthday falls on New Years eve, while everyone was celebrating the new year I was like “Hey, anyone,…its my birthday”

33 Tricia { 12.10.13 at 9:07 am }

My daughter’s birthday is in January, and Iove it. As soon as the holidays are over we start planning her birthday party, and it gives us something exciting for that month. I’m not a winter person, and having the holidays plus her birthday really makes it feel like winter is progressing fast. By the time all that activity is over, it’s already February, the shortest month, and winter is 2/3 over with! I buy her birthday gifts at Christmas, wrap them in birthday paper and hold on to them for a few weeks. Sometimes I wonder if she’ll long for a summer birthday party in the park or something outside, but I told her if she ever wants to do that we can move the party to to June and have a half birthday that year. She would still get a cake on her real birthday and gifts from me, but the party, guests and gifts would wait until June. So far she hasn’t taken me up on that.

34 Deb Hines { 12.10.13 at 9:03 am }

My birthday is 4 days before Christmas and growing up it wasn’t too much of an issue, my mother made sure to keep them separate and insisted on using birthday wrap for my gifts. As I’ve gotten older I realize that it’s tough to get together with people to celebrate and it usually ends up being a combined event (better than not at all though!) My husband tried to throw a surprise party for me on my 40th and it was pretty much just family. This year is my 50th and the DH isn’t around now so I’m not sure exactly what I will do. I’m pretty philosophical about it. It is what it is and it’s the only way I know it.

35 beth { 12.10.13 at 8:59 am }

My birthday is 11 days after Christmas, and I love it! What I don’t get for Christmas I get for my birthday, and the Plaza (big shopping district here) lights are still up, so it’s fun and a little romantic to go down there and have dinner

36 Eileen { 12.10.13 at 8:57 am }

My son’s birthday is December 28th and I always keep it a special day for him. I plan for birthday gifts in advance and he picks how he would like to celebrate.

37 Stioux { 12.10.13 at 8:56 am }

Born January 8th, my father would joke every year he was giving me money for Christmas so I can buy myself a birthday gift. Every year.

38 Loyn { 12.10.13 at 8:55 am }

My stepson’s birthday is Nov 4. it’s right there with the rush of the holidays. We get him good present for his b-day then it’s like a month later we are giving him another run at gifts. then he also wants a tax present…. lol

39 crunchycon { 12.10.13 at 8:54 am }

My birthday is two days after Christmas. My dad’s was two days prior. My poor mother worked very hard to make sure we weren’t overlooked. Having said that, among my friends, I got lost in the shuffle. I’m over it, though. I’ve had therapy;-).

40 Sara { 12.09.13 at 9:35 pm }

My birthday is a full month after Christmas. I grew up believing that the stores where out of the toys I wanted because of Christmas. Turns out, it was my mother’s bank account that was out of money because of Christmas.