Waxing Crescent

Would you Buy a Haunted House?

Would you Buy a Haunted House?

It’s that time of year when being scared and going on haunted attractions are the norm.  But what about when Halloween is over? Are you still interested in being scared or spooked by things that seem unnatural? What about purchasing a home that looks spooky, or  has been featured on one of those reality TV shows for its infamous ghosts?

According to a survey done by Relator.com, “More than half of home buyers [surveyed] would consider buying a haunted house.” The survey also revealed that “35 percent of the nearly 1,400 people who took the survey said they have lived in a haunted home.”

But how do you know if the house is really haunted?  Respondents who took this survey thought that if the home has a cemetery on its property, is more than 100 years old, or is close to a battlefield, that there could be a good chance it could be haunted. I would also add that if someone died in the home, not from natural causes, I’d be a little cautious.

I have known a few people who truly believe their homes were haunted and they didn’t fit any of the above scenarios. Their stories included everything from unexplained footprints in wet cement, to young children “seeing people” that the adults couldn’t, to tricks being played such as food moved or put back in the refrigerator.

What do you think? Would you be open to buying a home that people believe was haunted? Or near a cemetery? What if during a viewing of the house you heard some weird noises, would you immediately take this home off your list? Share your thoughts and check out the full survey from Relator.com.

(And just to be sure the home you’re buying has good vibes, be sure to check our home buying superstitions story that we will be running next week.)

1 Lauren { 10.26.13 at 8:18 am }

The house I live in is 225 years old. The previous owner died in the living room. I suspect this was a suicide. I feel no spirits here.

However, the house I grew up in was a 1960′s or 1970′s built ranch house. There were definitely spirits which were at times scary as a child. I attribute it to native Americans who once lived on the land, not the structural house itself.

2 Kathy { 10.26.13 at 3:54 am }

Our house was built in 1915. One owner until they put her in a nursing home and she died in around 1990. She was a teacher, who loved children, and loved to cook for everyone. People have told me her door was always open! My husband and I could feel a happy home. After about 2 yrs here, we pulled up the carpet in the living room. We spent two days redoing the beautiful old hardwood floors. The next day I walked in, and the light was shining thru the window…something was on the floor..I went over and picked it up..and it was an old U shaped hair pin…the kind that you use to keep a bun on your head. There was no way it could have been there…but possibly she had been.

3 Awesome { 10.25.13 at 11:23 pm }

Worst ghost story ever:
Actually just bought a trailer on 1.5 acres at a tax auction. Classic young(er) couple with a fixer upper first home situation. I plan on building a full foundation and additions to make it all a full home, starting in the spring.
I learned early on that the owner had been living here and passed away here 5 years ago. Since then, it bounced from foreclosure to tax foreclosure, to me(who has had the pleasure of handling the prior owners worldly belongings).
However, about a week after moving in and getting to know our neighbors, we found out that their ashes were in fact buried right under our living room (suspense) about 15 feet from me right now.
We’ve been here about a month and a half and feel like we’ve gotten to know them, i’ve benefited from having an old man’s collection of nuts and bolts and we think she must have sold tupperware.
We’ve taken it in stride and there’s been no spirits. I respect their wishes to be here and will have to excavate a few feet over. We found a Guadalupe statue and will probably landscape and put it there.
The end

4 Lisa { 10.25.13 at 7:20 pm }

It depends on the circumstances. We looked at a house that I had such a bad feeling, I had to walk out. It felt EVIL to me. I drive by it many times a week and wonder. Then again, if the spirits stay because they loved it there and the memories were good, I’d do it and respect them. I’m preparing my home for my eventual haunting!

5 Sheri { 10.25.13 at 5:20 pm }

Absolutely! Every home I have lived in, here and abroad, has come with a spirit or two; I have no qualms sharing the space :)

6 philip cotten { 10.25.13 at 10:57 am }

Yes I would buy a haunted house