Waning Crescent

Would You Buy A Haunted House?

Would You Buy A Haunted House?

It’s that time of year when being scared and going on haunted attractions are the norm.  But what about when Halloween is over? Are you still interested in being scared or spooked by things that seem unnatural? What about purchasing a home that looks spooky, or  has been featured on one of those reality TV shows for its infamous ghosts?

According to a survey done by Relator.com, “More than half of home buyers [surveyed] would consider buying a haunted house.” The survey also revealed that “35 percent of the nearly 1,400 people who took the survey said they have lived in a haunted home.”

But how do you know if the house is really haunted?  Respondents who took this survey thought that if the home has a cemetery on its property, is more than 100 years old, or is close to a battlefield, that there could be a good chance it could be haunted. I would also add that if someone died in the home, not from natural causes, I’d be a little cautious.

I have known a few people who truly believe their homes were haunted and they didn’t fit any of the above scenarios. Their stories included everything from unexplained footprints in wet cement, to young children “seeing people” that the adults couldn’t, to tricks being played such as food moved or put back in the refrigerator.

What do you think? Would you be open to buying a home that people believe was haunted? Or near a cemetery? What if during a viewing of the house you heard some weird noises, would you immediately take this home off your list? Share your thoughts and check out the full survey from Relator.com.

(And just to be sure the home you’re buying has good vibes, be sure to check our home buying superstitions story that we will be running next week.)

1 anne { 10.30.14 at 12:33 pm }

I worked at a Alf for 4.5 years that was well known for being haunted. After I left, the new owners added into their employment application the signed agreement to never discuss unexplained occurrences or ghost related experiences on or off the property. It was a lot of fun hearing & watching other’s reactions to the noises, sights of black entities, senior accounts of people passed on months to years prior, and the reports of the sensations of being shouted / whispered inside their heads of “Get Out”. Lol. The most I experienced was listening to the seniors with Alzheimer’s tell in accurate detail description & account of dialogue supposedly exchanged between themselves & a resident that had actually passed on 2 months ago. Then my last year there, while I was recovering from my then husband trying to send me Home, I went into room 420 to get a beautiful picture of the Sun coming through the trees through the fog & for my first time felt as if several people were telling me to “GET OUT!!!!”. The air was freezing & thick. I found my self saying aloud, “I’ll be out in a minute, I just want to get this picture before I leave”. The thickness got so bad I got a blurred pic & quickly left.

So no. I would buy land with a haunted house but never a house just for the house to live in.

2 Angela { 10.30.14 at 11:35 am }

Do I believe in hauntings…yes, and only because I have experienced things before. Would I buy a house known to be haunted….depends on why it was haunted and if bad things happened. I would most definitely have someone come in a bless the house and let it be known that the entity was not welcome to stay and must move on. Hopefully the haunted house would be sold at a great discount!

3 iliea { 10.29.14 at 9:57 am }

I would definitely buy a haunted house but for the right price because after all I have to deal with what’s waiting inside….

4 Tracey S { 10.28.14 at 11:26 pm }

First of all to the above comment yea spirits do walk the earth not all but some..and its obvious you have no experience with unsettled spirits and yes some can be demons…some just die so unexpectedly or violently or so attached to their homestead..they remain..and that’s why they need help going to the light so they can be at restbor otherwise til judgement day…anyways we have a very old homestead and yes a family graveyard over 300 years old..we have heard footsteps..had things moved..smelled flowers and even cigarette smoke..my children have seen 2 different ghost I myself have felt and heard them..non believers just need to experience it to believe…otherwise don’t doubt what someone else has a gift to experience

5 Steph { 10.28.14 at 10:49 pm }

No way.

6 Kim Couchman { 10.28.14 at 7:47 pm }

Human spirits do not walk this earth after the body dies. So since I believe haunting are all demonic no I would not knowing buy a haunted house.

7 Spngbob { 10.28.14 at 6:00 pm }

We bought a house last October. Leora was the previous owners name. She locked my better half out of a bedroom one night when he was at the house alone painting before we moved in. He’s a skeptic and was completely freaked. She also covets an antique buffet in my basement. Flung an entire stack of popular science magazines from it one day when I walked in the room. Don’t ask me how I know she was letting me know she liked it but I do. She’s been quite ever since that episode. But would I knowingly buy a haunted house? Nope I’d nope right on past a haunted one every time.

8 Lauren { 10.26.13 at 8:18 am }

The house I live in is 225 years old. The previous owner died in the living room. I suspect this was a suicide. I feel no spirits here.

However, the house I grew up in was a 1960’s or 1970’s built ranch house. There were definitely spirits which were at times scary as a child. I attribute it to native Americans who once lived on the land, not the structural house itself.

9 Kathy { 10.26.13 at 3:54 am }

Our house was built in 1915. One owner until they put her in a nursing home and she died in around 1990. She was a teacher, who loved children, and loved to cook for everyone. People have told me her door was always open! My husband and I could feel a happy home. After about 2 yrs here, we pulled up the carpet in the living room. We spent two days redoing the beautiful old hardwood floors. The next day I walked in, and the light was shining thru the window…something was on the floor..I went over and picked it up..and it was an old U shaped hair pin…the kind that you use to keep a bun on your head. There was no way it could have been there…but possibly she had been.

10 Awesome { 10.25.13 at 11:23 pm }

Worst ghost story ever:
Actually just bought a trailer on 1.5 acres at a tax auction. Classic young(er) couple with a fixer upper first home situation. I plan on building a full foundation and additions to make it all a full home, starting in the spring.
I learned early on that the owner had been living here and passed away here 5 years ago. Since then, it bounced from foreclosure to tax foreclosure, to me(who has had the pleasure of handling the prior owners worldly belongings).
However, about a week after moving in and getting to know our neighbors, we found out that their ashes were in fact buried right under our living room (suspense) about 15 feet from me right now.
We’ve been here about a month and a half and feel like we’ve gotten to know them, i’ve benefited from having an old man’s collection of nuts and bolts and we think she must have sold tupperware.
We’ve taken it in stride and there’s been no spirits. I respect their wishes to be here and will have to excavate a few feet over. We found a Guadalupe statue and will probably landscape and put it there.
The end

11 Lisa { 10.25.13 at 7:20 pm }

It depends on the circumstances. We looked at a house that I had such a bad feeling, I had to walk out. It felt EVIL to me. I drive by it many times a week and wonder. Then again, if the spirits stay because they loved it there and the memories were good, I’d do it and respect them. I’m preparing my home for my eventual haunting!

12 Sheri { 10.25.13 at 5:20 pm }

Absolutely! Every home I have lived in, here and abroad, has come with a spirit or two; I have no qualms sharing the space :)

13 philip cotten { 10.25.13 at 10:57 am }

Yes I would buy a haunted house