Waning Gibbous

The Persimmon Lady Returns for 2014!

The Persimmon Lady Returns for 2014!

For the last several years, right around the time of our annual publication date, Melissa Bunker of Johnsonville, North Carolina – AKA, “The Persimmon Lady,” has sent us her winter predictions, based on opening up some persimmon seeds. The traditional lore is that, if the seeds are shaped like forks, winter will be mild, if they are shaped like spoons, there will be a lot of snow, and if they are shaped like knives, winter will be bitingly cold.

Here’s what Melissa found this year:

“I just cracked our seeds for the year and its a decent outlook but definitely a hard cold winter ahead. Attached are the photos. The first four seeds were forks, indicating mild temperatures and relative dryness. However, the remaining six seeds were all shovels, looks like a lot of precipitation coming later in the winter. The leaves have already started to turn here in NC and yesterday, my husband’s birthday, was exceptionally cool and refreshing.”

Thanks, Melissa! We hope to hear from you again next year.

Have any of the rest of you cracked into any persimmon seeds? If so, where are you from and what did you see?

1 Tammy { 09.14.14 at 8:53 pm }

Opened 13 from 2 different trees with grandchildren. 10 are spoons, 2 are knives and 1 a fork. Central illinois

2 Rusty McCurdy { 08.29.14 at 11:47 pm }

Here in Maryland I’m getting spoons.

3 donna brown { 05.31.14 at 10:43 am }

no personmins growing in New Mexico so I can’t do the test but I think it would be fun to do so

4 Bennie Foster { 11.17.13 at 7:48 pm }

I have 7 persimmons trees and I chose three ripe fruit from each tree. My children and I split the seeds, all spoons. Preparations so a long wet winter have started. We are in north east Oklahoma. Wagoner Co.

5 Gayle Garner { 10.12.13 at 3:52 pm }

I have opened 7 persimmons with my mom at my grandparents house and all seven were spoons. WooHoo sledding at grandpas this year! we live in Southeast Kansas.

6 Jerry Williams { 10.09.13 at 4:36 pm }

Willisville, AR two seeds both show spoons. Would like to see a good snow around here. If its going to be cold and miserable it might just as well be pretty too.

7 les hays { 10.09.13 at 2:45 pm }

The seeds we opened 10-2-2013 here in south-central Oklahoma were all spoons. The fruit was still a little green but trees are varying more than usual . Today 10-9-2013 we sampled a couple still orange and a little tart. All were still spoons. Will try to update each week

8 The Persimmon Lady { 09.01.13 at 12:25 pm }

The seeds will give the local forecast for the area they were grown in, not shipped to. All of my readouts have been from wild collected persimmon fruits here In Johnsonville NC.

9 Brenda { 08.31.13 at 6:53 pm }

I live in Virginia and im seeing the same thing. Leaves are already beginning to change and the squirrels are busy. I am also seeing many geese practicing their flying so they can head south for winter

10 Mikki { 08.30.13 at 6:57 pm }

Not sure where persimmon trees grown, and while I don’t discount old wives tales, for some appear to be true, I wouldn’t be able to put much stock in the seeds if they were shipped from another state and arrived here in my area. I will still plan on stocking my larder with as much as I can over the next three months, and mid Dec plan on stocking the freezer every trip to the grocery store, so come Jan to March I will only need a quick trip to the store for eggs, milk, some produce and very few extras. Then back home to hibernate.

11 Krystal Murphy { 08.30.13 at 5:49 pm }

Does this count though in your own areas? Doesn’t it all depend on where those persimmons were shipped to your store from? Then wouldn’t that mean those seeds were for the area they came from and not the area they arrived at? :)

12 Carla Zummallen { 08.30.13 at 5:25 pm }

I cut two open a couple of days ago and it was shaping up to look like shovels but a little too early to tell. I will check in another couple of weeks to see the out come!