Register | Log in

« | »

The Persimmon Lady Returns for 2014!

The Persimmon Lady Returns for 2014!

For the last several years, right around the time of our annual publication date, Melissa Bunker of Johnsonville, North Carolina – AKA, “The Persimmon Lady,” has sent us her winter predictions, based on opening up some persimmon seeds. The traditional lore is that, if the seeds are shaped like forks, winter will be mild, if they are shaped like spoons, there will be a lot of snow, and if they are shaped like knives, winter will be bitingly cold.

Here’s what Melissa found this year:

“I just cracked our seeds for the year and its a decent outlook but definitely a hard cold winter ahead. Attached are the photos. The first four seeds were forks, indicating mild temperatures and relative dryness. However, the remaining six seeds were all shovels, looks like a lot of precipitation coming later in the winter. The leaves have already started to turn here in NC and yesterday, my husband’s birthday, was exceptionally cool and refreshing.”

Thanks, Melissa! We hope to hear from you again next year.

Have any of the rest of you cracked into any persimmon seeds? If so, where are you from and what did you see?

16 Responses

1. Live in north AL. Opened 7persimmon and there was a spoon in all.

by Bonnie on Oct 2, 2014 at 7:01 pm

2. We have opened six seeds and all have spoons. Looks like snow and cold for central Ms.

by Jo Ann welch on Oct 1, 2014 at 10:51 am

3. We have cut open six persimmon seeds . Three from two different trees. And there were six
    Spoons, guess we will have snow this winter.

by Janey Cain on Sep 23, 2014 at 11:38 pm

4. We have opened several persimmons from our own tree and have gotten all spoons so far! Other friends in our town have gotten all spoons so far as well! We live in jasper, Ga, about an hour north of Atlanta

by Suzanne Plumley on Sep 18, 2014 at 10:23 pm

5. Opened 13 from 2 different trees with grandchildren. 10 are spoons, 2 are knives and 1 a fork. Central illinois

by Tammy on Sep 14, 2014 at 8:53 pm

6. Here in Maryland I’m getting spoons.

by Rusty McCurdy on Aug 29, 2014 at 11:47 pm

7. no personmins growing in New Mexico so I can’t do the test but I think it would be fun to do so

by donna brown on May 31, 2014 at 10:43 am

8. I have 7 persimmons trees and I chose three ripe fruit from each tree. My children and I split the seeds, all spoons. Preparations so a long wet winter have started. We are in north east Oklahoma. Wagoner Co.

by Bennie Foster on Nov 17, 2013 at 7:48 pm

9. I have opened 7 persimmons with my mom at my grandparents house and all seven were spoons. WooHoo sledding at grandpas this year! we live in Southeast Kansas.

by Gayle Garner on Oct 12, 2013 at 3:52 pm

10. Willisville, AR two seeds both show spoons. Would like to see a good snow around here. If its going to be cold and miserable it might just as well be pretty too.

by Jerry Williams on Oct 9, 2013 at 4:36 pm

11. The seeds we opened 10-2-2013 here in south-central Oklahoma were all spoons. The fruit was still a little green but trees are varying more than usual . Today 10-9-2013 we sampled a couple still orange and a little tart. All were still spoons. Will try to update each week

by les hays on Oct 9, 2013 at 2:45 pm

12. The seeds will give the local forecast for the area they were grown in, not shipped to. All of my readouts have been from wild collected persimmon fruits here In Johnsonville NC.

by The Persimmon Lady on Sep 1, 2013 at 12:25 pm

13. I live in Virginia and im seeing the same thing. Leaves are already beginning to change and the squirrels are busy. I am also seeing many geese practicing their flying so they can head south for winter

by Brenda on Aug 31, 2013 at 6:53 pm

14. Not sure where persimmon trees grown, and while I don’t discount old wives tales, for some appear to be true, I wouldn’t be able to put much stock in the seeds if they were shipped from another state and arrived here in my area. I will still plan on stocking my larder with as much as I can over the next three months, and mid Dec plan on stocking the freezer every trip to the grocery store, so come Jan to March I will only need a quick trip to the store for eggs, milk, some produce and very few extras. Then back home to hibernate.

by Mikki on Aug 30, 2013 at 6:57 pm

15. Does this count though in your own areas? Doesn’t it all depend on where those persimmons were shipped to your store from? Then wouldn’t that mean those seeds were for the area they came from and not the area they arrived at? :)

by Krystal Murphy on Aug 30, 2013 at 5:49 pm

16. I cut two open a couple of days ago and it was shaping up to look like shovels but a little too early to tell. I will check in another couple of weeks to see the out come!

by Carla Zummallen on Aug 30, 2013 at 5:25 pm