Waxing Gibbous

Hoping for Spring?

Hoping for Spring?

As you may have heard, Punxsutawney Phil, arguably the most famous prognosticating groundhog in the United States, did not see his shadow this weekend, which means spring is supposed to come a bit early this year.

Of course, as we reported last month, we’re not expecting an early spring.

So, now the race is on to find out who is right, the Almanac or the rodent.

The lore surrounding groundhog days dates back to the Middle Ages. An ancient Celtic prophecy foretold that sunny weather Candlemas, February 2, heralds a long winter. Medieval folk relied on hedgehogs to predict the coming of spring, while early American settlers found the local groundhogs more accessible.

Are you hoping for an early spring this year? Why or why not. Is the weather in your area springlike, or is winter still holding on tight? Share your thoughts below!

1 Larry { 03.08.13 at 8:34 pm }

I have got my garden perfect, ready to plant. All that needs to be done is a tiller run through it and planting early crops. The only problem is we are getting regular rainfall. A garden that stays to wet to plant is as bad as not being ready to plant. Come on Spring with a little sunshine and wind and dry my garden out. Wilkes County N.C. is a wonderful gardening area but to much rainfall is slowing down every gardner. The weeds and grass are thriving though.

2 johnny mccracken { 02.14.13 at 2:35 pm }

I live in se okla and the weather here is so diverse you cant make up youre mind, To plant or not to plant! I went ahead and set out a few Pac choi so maby Ill have some good luck. Also started some other plants under a lite inside the garden shed , so far so good . good luck to all. Johnny Mack.

3 Treymont { 02.12.13 at 11:03 am }

Here in SC, the daffodils are blossoming, robins are coming out and grass is beginning to spring up. So yeah I think the rodent is right for those of us south of NC. Can’t say for Fl as they have been getting hit with hard freezes all winter long.

4 carol { 02.06.13 at 6:10 pm }

Can’t wait for warmer weather with less wind! It’s hard to commit to a daily walk with my dog in such strong winds here on Florida Mountain, MA. I wear so many layers of clothes, 14lbs. extra to be exact! Yes, I can’t wait for spring to do my thing. Peace OUT

5 Andrea { 02.05.13 at 3:02 pm }

I live in the Maryland on the Chesapeake Bay. We have not see very much snow this winter. My kids were hoping for a “good” snow storm this winter so they could use their new sleds. Well, we only received a few inches of snow in January. We rarely see snow in Southern Maryland. Especially, living by the Bay. I am hoping for atleast one good snow fall so the kids can have a family fun snow day, filled with sledding, snow ball battles and hot chocolate. My brother has purchased a snow plow and hasn’t been able to use it much this season. Do you see a really good storm in our near future of atleast more than 3″? The almanac says that the mid Atlantic should receive one in Mid February. I really do miss the snow storms from when I was a kid. The weather has definitely changed a lot since then! I am still hopeful about it! Thank you and take care!

6 DD { 02.05.13 at 4:37 am }

I sure would like to get planting, so Early Spring would be great, but here in OK we haven’t had enough cold to kill off insects. It’s in the 60s here. This week I’ve seen flies and bees. With all this “Global Weirding” I will probably gamble on the rodent and plant some early and plant again according to the Almanac.

7 Aaron { 02.04.13 at 8:08 pm }

Here in Virginia, we are still in a deep snowfall deficit. We have only recorded 5.3″ of snow which is well below our normal 18″. Its supposed to get milder but the Farmers Almanac still calls for a good snowstorm in mid February. You all call for more winter, but Phil calls for early winter. I hope you all are right! I want one more good snowfall before spring. I want to be able to say we had a winter this year

8 mason mckibben { 02.04.13 at 5:00 pm }

200 feet ASL near central coastal Humboldt CA we have no winter. the trick is to determine when fall ends and spring begins. Unfortunately, calla lilies sprouted and rhododendron bloomed in December. Don’t know what to expect this year. Would prefer to wait for spring. Would like to see the plum blossoms not get frosted like they have the past two years. That is all

9 mrscook { 02.04.13 at 4:54 pm }

I am hoping for an early Spring. I would love to start my gardening earlier than the past few years. Longer gardening means more canned goods. I also ride a motorcycle….early Spring means more riding season and more miles. It’s been a while since we had an early Spring…I am in Missouri….and I hope the rodent is right, but I also follow the Almanac. Hard one to call, but I hope the rodent is right! ~Mary