Waxing Crescent

12 Songs of Christmas?

12 Songs of Christmas?

Christmas is such a unique time of year. There are TV specials, movies, decorations, music, and activities all dedicated to this holiday. But have you ever wondered how many original Christmas songs are actually played this time of year? There are hundreds of variations — jazz, country, rock, traditional — but the words are the same.

I’ve been listening to a generic Christmas station from Pandora while I work. It’s helped to put me in the Christmas season. Sometimes, when I get bored of one station, I can easily find other holiday stations that basically play the same songs, but in a different genre — traditional, instrumental, rocking, etc. I have my favorites and sometimes I do have to skip a variation that just doesn’t seem to fit. However, as of today, I’ve decided I must have heard Santa Baby about 200 times and Baby it’s Cold Outside 350 times! And yet, I still sing along…

I did a little research and came up with this list of popular Christmas songs that seem to be the most often played during the holiday season:

1. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
  2. Winter Wonderland
  3. White Christmas
  4. Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let It Snow!
  5. White Christmas
  6. I’ll have a Blue Christmas
  7. It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas
  8. Do They Know It’s Christmas
  9. The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting on an open fire)
  10. I’ll be Home for Christmas
  11. Carol of the Bells
  12. There’s No Place Like Home for the Holidays
  13. Santa Baby
  14. Little Drummer Boy
  15. It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
  16. Holly Jolly Christmas
  17. Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree
  18. Silver Bells
  19. Feliz Navidad
  20. Jingle Bell Rock
  21. Baby it’s Cold Outside

Have I missed any? Of course there are many traditional Christmas Carols/Hymns that are popular too, such as Hark the Herald Angels Sing, Away in a Manager, O Come All ye Faithful, Joy to the World, Silent Night … and some songs that our Children enjoy singing (Rudolph, Frosty, Santa Claus is Coming to Town) and many more, but it sure seems like to me that the number of variations of how people sing and play the song outnumber the number of original Christmas songs. Would you agree?

Then again, the same might be true for Christmas movies — I mean, how many versions of Christmas Carol have you seen in your life? There are some originals that you just can’t do over — It’s a Wonderful Life is one that comes to my mind. I guess that’s what makes this time of year so special and unique — you can watch and listen to reruns and yet not tire of them, well I guess that depends on when you started tuning in…

What’s your favorite Christmas song/movie? Do share.

1 Susan { 12.25.14 at 4:24 pm }

green sleeves the old English version

2 yodebbie64 { 12.24.14 at 10:54 pm }

I would have to say Chestnuts roasting on an open fire By either Johnny Mathis or Nat King Cole and a hymm type is away in the manager I sang to my daughter when she was a baby

3 Kristina { 12.24.14 at 7:56 pm }

oh Tannenbam

4 Mike { 12.24.14 at 7:05 pm }

you missed O Holy Night.

5 Grandma Peg { 12.24.14 at 5:34 pm }

this year, it’s White Christmas done in the old Doo wap style by the Aussie group Human Nature. BUT I couldn’t go without der Bingle’s rendition so found one on You Tube that has a very nice collage video with it.

6 Lyn Harrelson { 12.19.12 at 8:24 pm }

I like Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire especially the recording by Nat King Cole. It reminds me of my childhood in upstate NY.

7 Sandi Duncan { 12.19.12 at 2:38 pm }

Thanks Brenda! Every year we try to remember all of those gifts ;)! Keep on singing!

8 Brenda { 12.18.12 at 5:14 pm }

On the 12th day of Christmas my true love gave to me:
12 drummers drumming
11 pipers piping
10 lords are leaping
9 ladies dancing
8 maids are milking
7 swans are swimming
6 geese are laying
5 GOLDEN RINGS
4 calling birds
3 french hens
2 turtle doves,
and a partrage in a pair tree.. my 9 year old son knows all 12 of them and he taught me all of them. Took some time but now I know all the words. Yay! haha! I was driving home from work this evening and I listened to the Christmas songs on the radio station on my way home. “Santa Baby, hurry down the chimney tonight” is stuck in my head now