Waxing Gibbous

Acorn Survey

Acorn Survey

I had a lightweight argument with a friend last weekend about the acorn drop this spring. Hundreds of years ago one of the signs of a hard winter was farmers observing the number of acorn that dropped from oak trees. This can be combined with the early and frantic movement of squirrels. She felt that there were more acorn than ever. I remember two years ago when my yard was filled with acorns in July and it never stopped until the first snow. Now that was a year for acorns!

She feels that we are being bombarded. I feel that is a normal (average) drop. Since we live in Maine, the results could and should differ by location. It needs to be said that the year we had the big drop we also had a huge amount of snow – 140 inches. So I am interested in what you think. Let me know what the acorn drop is like in your area. Is it:

___ Light

___ Average

___ Wicked heavy – get out the snow blower!

1 Chris { 04.17.13 at 6:01 pm }

Uh, mid April in S.W. MI, no acorns yet. Fall of 2012, very, very light, average winter. Fall of 2011, wicked heavy, winter that never was.

2 Magda { 03.25.13 at 4:39 pm }

Wickedly Heavy! the oak in my front yard rained acorns the month of January. It has never dropped so many ever before. We have had a mild winter here in Houston. I am convinced it is due to the drought conditions here in Texas but I can’t say for certain that is the reason behind so many acorns this year.

3 hickory { 12.28.12 at 6:21 pm }

middle north fla. “average” acorn fall from oaks of all kinds.
(with a very light “hickory nut” fall).
we had “drought conditions”.. and then “flooding”.
so id guess that kinda interupt’s their 4yr? cycle.

4 Neve { 12.03.12 at 6:30 pm }

Not too many acorns this year in London ontario but a few years ago we had sooo many!

5 LolaBlanche Yellowbird { 11.29.12 at 3:47 pm }

Some friends in Indian Head Maryland said they had massive acorn drop this fall. They are expecting a very cold (?snow?) winter 2012-13.

6 Suzann Strickland { 11.17.12 at 8:29 pm }

I am a Floridian and I live in Titusville, Florida and it is raining Acorns right outside my house. The oak trees are dropping so many I have never seen this many Acorns before. The squirrels are running around all crazy and there are all these little holes everywhere. When my dog goes outside and sometimes wonder if I should put a helmet on because you can hear them dropping and hitting the ground because they are nice sized Acorns.

7 Loyd Edwards { 11.14.12 at 12:28 am }

Acorns are average size this year, but boy are they bountiful. I guess them to be at least 2 1//2-3 times what we normally get. Squirrels are extremely happy, I just have to do more..

8 Mark Beckert { 11.11.12 at 9:11 am }

Pete, I absolutely believe in the Acorn Barometer – the years that we got huge amounts of snow, noreasters etc were the years that were preceded by hundreds of acorns dropping from the 2 Oaks in my back yard. Fall of 2011 there was only a mild scattering and this year there isn’t a single acorn in sight. In checking other Oaks in my neighborhood, I’ve discovered the same thing. I believe we’re in for another mild one here in NJ.

9 Blu Roze { 11.09.12 at 4:33 pm }

Massive amounts of acorns in southeast and central Texas. I’ve never seen so many.

10 Judith Purgason { 11.08.12 at 5:45 pm }

I’m in Austin, TX and I’ve never seen so many acorns before. We have a large red oak and there are a lot of live oaks in the neighborhood and all seem to be producing an amazing amount of acorns. I’ve been wondering if it means we will have an unusually cold winter.

11 Susi { 11.08.12 at 10:00 am }

Heavy acorns this year AND the squirrels ate all of my pecans (7 trees) this year – leaving me none! I live on the coast of Georgia.

12 Marla { 11.05.12 at 7:32 pm }

I’ve had a tremendous wickedly heavy acorn drop(just east of Fort Worth, TX) this year. Over a 100 gallons from a 10′x20′ area and from one 12 year old 35′ oak!!!!

13 Joanna Suzuki { 11.04.12 at 2:09 pm }

We live in Southern Oregon and the acorns are very heavy this fall, unlike last fall in which we had almost a warm winter. The squirrels are happy but the family of deer are even happier. The deer have really fattened up since the heavy acorn fall. Maybe the indians of our area had something going with grinding acorns and using for flour. Must be high in carbs and protein. Joanna

14 THE OCCUPANT { 10.31.12 at 9:31 am }

I Peter Geiger needs a football helmet to go out on his deck. It will be a hard winter

15 Sharon { 10.31.12 at 9:27 am }

Here is Stuart, VA the acorns and even walnuts are plentiful. The trees seem to be doubled leafed this past summer as well. Also, bees were making their nest on top of the ground. I have heard that these also predictions for a bad winter.

16 Kathleen { 10.26.12 at 9:51 pm }

We had no acorns last year on Long Island and there are none this year. The squirrels and the Blue Jays are ravenous
I’ve been feeding them peanuts in the shell. Is this global warming?

17 myrotor { 10.24.12 at 10:51 am }

wicked heavy! We live on the farthest northeastern sierras. It has been raining acorns for the past month!

18 Felix { 10.23.12 at 1:43 pm }

We have been bombarded here in Stafford, Virginia like none of the previous three years that we have lived here. Does this mean that Snowmageddon of a few years ago was just a big “tease” for the winter of 2012-2013?

19 Aaron Donley { 10.22.12 at 9:02 pm }

heavy acorns in southern IL :)

20 Mark { 10.21.12 at 1:55 am }

Light in Sierra Nevada foothills in California. Actually very light this year.

21 Bill { 10.18.12 at 8:49 am }

Here in SE Pa. the acorn drop is to heavy to average;however, it is a known fact that oak trees have a biennial bearing of acorns. Last year we had a very light acorn crop,so this year it is average to heavy,so enjoy all you squirrels out there.

22 Freeda { 10.17.12 at 9:09 am }

Wicked in the Southeast

23 Nathan Sutherland { 10.17.12 at 12:26 am }

Wicked heavey!! Upstate south carolina getting ready to kill some whitetails

24 Survey Crest { 10.16.12 at 3:04 am }

It is surprising to hear such a massive drop in Acorn. Harsh weather creating a whole lot of trouble for farmers.

25 Nancy { 10.15.12 at 6:45 am }

Alexandria VA. TONS of acorns and the squirrels are busy.

26 mark { 10.13.12 at 11:20 pm }

wicked heavy in davis county, utah (25 miles north of salt lake city). we have several 15-30 foot gambel oaks and every one has dropped huge amounts of acorns. not to mention all the extra live oak seedlings that came up through the lawn this year. nothing last year, was below average for snow. year before was average acorns and average snow. snowblower ready.

27 Randolph { 10.13.12 at 11:19 pm }

Lubbock, TX- wicked amounts of acorns!

28 Deloris { 10.12.12 at 7:28 pm }

Heavy I’ve never seen my White Oak produce so many acorns! I live in Tacoma, Wa and we normally have mild winters here but I just told my daughter my bones feel like it’s going to be a hard winter lol! Seriously every square inch of my yard is several inches deep with acorns.

29 Joanne { 10.12.12 at 9:58 am }

Wicked Heavy in Northern Alabama. I remember my Grandfather telling me that you could tell when winter was going to be hard by the amount of acorns…. he always ended with ‘God tends to the little creatures if winter is going to be hard’

30 chris { 10.11.12 at 10:01 am }

Wicked heavy on the Eastern Shore of Md. My husband thought someone was breaking into our home one night..it was acorns falling on our roof! Scared me too!

31 alycnwonderland { 10.10.12 at 9:28 am }

___ Wicked heavy — in Pensacola, FL also they were covered in white and black fungus looking stuff, I’ve never seen before. And it seemed like they fell at an unusual time of the year.

32 Mike { 10.08.12 at 7:15 pm }

Average in ri

33 Mr Kaffee { 10.07.12 at 9:32 pm }

We live in S Central VA. My Black Walnut trees are producing the biggest and most abundant crop I’ve seen in 14 years of living here. Last year I bought snow boots and haven’t used them yet. I should have gotten the ones that come up to my knees!

34 Dawnstar75 { 10.07.12 at 1:53 pm }

I am anticipating a wet winter here in S.E. New Mexico but not holding my breath. Squirrels are scuttling which is encouraging but we are in our third year of extreme drought conditions and much needed trees are dying all over Roswell because of it. We hit a low of 40* last night so Ill check the acorn drop on the red oaks at work tomorrow. Hopefully.

35 Suzanne { 10.06.12 at 9:40 am }

In northern Westchester and Putnam counties of NY, I and a few others have noticed that there are NO nuts of any kind littering the ground. Usually by this time of year – we are treacherously navigating the yard and stone patio – generally laden with acorns, that if you are not careful, will surely cause you to slip or twist an ankle. Last year I had buckets of them on the ground and could hear the rifle like sounds of them falling for weeks – this year not a one can be heard or seen? I have heard it is due to the animals ferocious harvesting as they are bracing for a very harsh winter. Similarly, I have also noticed many more squirrels than usual dead on the roadways perhaps because they are venturing farther than usual to gather their winter stores? Whatever the cause, it sure is strange and in the case of the poor dead animals – very sad indeed!

36 Sue { 10.03.12 at 6:39 pm }

Wicked heavy in Grafton county, NH. My old pony is sporting an “end of December” coat now.

37 Singer { 10.03.12 at 4:13 pm }

Wicked Heavy! I’ve lived in western Oregon for 40 of my 50 years and I have NEVER seen so many acorns. But the squirrels seem to be around our house less. Perhaps it’s because they have plenty near their home tree and don’t need to come over here to get ours. It’s very noisy falling on the barn and vehicles. It was scary walking through the woods. We were in constant fear of getting hit by one falling 50 feet onto our heads! I figured it would be a good year to learn to use acorns.

38 Frances { 10.02.12 at 6:06 pm }

Here in east TN my oak trees are loaded and I’ve never seen as many black walnuts on my tree.So glad we only have just one black wanut tree.

39 Jude { 10.02.12 at 4:03 pm }

From update new york: The fall of 2009 brought an over abundance of acorn droppings. The trees really dumped them, and the 2009-2010 winter really dumped non-stop snow from December through March. Last year, the acorn droppings were extremely light, and as we all know, we had a record winter of warmth and minimal snow fall. So far, the acorn droppings have been even lighter than last year, but those that are dropping are bigger in size! The acorn theory is going against the predictions for this part of the country. Can’t wait to see the results!

40 Barry { 10.02.12 at 3:40 pm }

NUTS NUTS and more nuts, and one speaking Wednesday Night and trying to get another four years

41 Mike { 10.02.12 at 11:14 am }

I live in North Ga. and we have an over abundance . sound like shot guns dropping on the roof of storage sheds

42 riclyrikan { 10.02.12 at 10:12 am }

i’m in so.ut/no.az area. When hubby & i got wood on kiabab mt the scrub oak were LOADED w/ acorns! I haven’t seen that in yrs! I believe we’re going 2 get socked w/ snow. Gather all the acorns u can & utilize them. They’re a great survival food. I know i plan 2 get some. Stay safe & happy

43 Beth { 10.02.12 at 8:14 am }

I am in Toledo Oh and I have an overload of acorns this year. I have to agree that it is going to be a hard winter. There are times it sounds like a big hail storm when they are coming down.

44 Sandra { 10.02.12 at 7:21 am }

Wicked fat, wicked heavy……after almost none last year ( and almost no snow last year)—this is going to be a bad one…south of Boston.

45 Sandra { 10.02.12 at 7:19 am }

Really big fat heavy acorns that are getting to be a wicked nuisance—Sharon, MA—south of Boston

46 Cindy Sebetes { 10.02.12 at 5:37 am }

average this year, here in Northwestern RI

47 anngrey saputo { 10.02.12 at 4:53 am }

WIckedly Heavy I sweep EVERYDAY for 20 minutes to get a path down my driveway

48 Karen { 10.01.12 at 9:48 pm }

Wicked heavy ,framingham mass.
I’ve been collecting them to make soup.

49 Marilyn { 10.01.12 at 9:39 pm }

It seems like its raining acorns in western North Carolina. Very heavy with lots of happy squirrels!

50 Carolyn { 10.01.12 at 8:07 pm }

Not sure about the acrons, but our Pecan trees are the heaviest they have ever been here in north middle Tn. Hope the Crows ,J-birds and Squrrels doesn’t get them.

51 Peggy { 10.01.12 at 7:45 pm }

Wicked heavy here in SE TN!! I hope we don’t get that much snow, I had my fill two years ago….lol!! Guess we will just have to wait and see. Thanks for the info!!

52 Susan { 10.01.12 at 7:12 pm }

Average here in Northeastern/Coastal NC.

53 Ed Albert { 10.01.12 at 7:11 pm }

Wicked. wicked lot of acorns in Stoughton, MA.
We’ve been talking about them for the past few weeks.
I believe that this has been the first time that acorns ever came up as a subject of conversation in our house!
So, that should tell you something!

54 F.GREEN { 10.01.12 at 7:07 pm }

Those pecans in central Louisiana ,sorry about that.

55 F.GREEN { 10.01.12 at 7:04 pm }

Does a heavy crop of pecans fit in there anywhere ? I have extremely heavy trees,they are loaded and starting to fall real good. Even after the huricane whipped the trees for 3 days,they are still heavy.

56 christine worthy { 10.01.12 at 5:05 pm }

I live in linncreek mo. We hardly have any acorns at all this year.

57 Karen { 10.01.12 at 5:02 pm }

Wicked heavy here in Northern Michigan! We’re stacking firewood and making sure the squirrels can’t come down the chimney!

58 Christy { 10.01.12 at 4:37 pm }

Wicked heavy here in Sw Pa…

59 Christy { 10.01.12 at 4:36 pm }

Extremely wicked! They are everywhere, this is the most acorns I have seen in a while!

60 Barbara { 10.01.12 at 4:27 pm }

Wicked heavy in Braintree,Ma,south of Boston

61 Creed { 10.01.12 at 4:16 pm }

I have 8 old oaks in the yard. Last year I literally saw one acorn. This year, it is either the heaviest or second-heaviest in the last two decades, so wicked heavy in northern Illinois!

62 jessie ( johnson) busjahnk { 10.01.12 at 2:44 pm }

Kiera and John in central va. Thank you! I ont have acorn trees around. I hope we get snow in Chester we want to sled and play.

63 Carol { 10.01.12 at 2:41 pm }

Central Texas – I’ve been in my home for 9 years and can’t recall seeing more than a few fall each year. This year they are everywhere and I’ve heard several others talk about the larger than usual crop. I’ve some very happy squirrels.

64 andnosense { 10.01.12 at 2:37 pm }

They seem kind of heavy (don’t know if I would go so far as wicked…) here in Alexandria VA

65 Barbara { 10.01.12 at 2:35 pm }

Wicked heavy in Braintree Ma

66 Sandy { 10.01.12 at 2:24 pm }

Wicked heavy in SO IL. My husband has a truck and you should hear the acorns hit the back when they drop into the back. If the acorns are a sign of a bad winter, then load up on your snow shovels and get your plows on your trucks now, it’s going to be a bad one.

67 Janet groves { 10.01.12 at 2:08 pm }

The acorns are moderate here in south central Illinois. But i havent seen so many squirrels in years. Lots of pecans and black walnuts though.

68 Lori { 10.01.12 at 2:07 pm }

I live in Ocean View NJ and I just noticed this past weekend all the fallen Acorns. More so then I have seen the last two years.

69 Gayla { 10.01.12 at 2:03 pm }

wickedly heavy here in Fort Worth, my yard is full and you can’t go outside without being hit by them dropping off the trees day or night.

70 Lindsay H { 10.01.12 at 1:49 pm }

In Southwestern North Carolina we are experiencing heavy acorn-age. I can’t go on my deck barefoot there are so many.

71 Brenda { 10.01.12 at 1:41 pm }

Oh lord, at the foothills of the blue ridge mountains in Virginia I too have wicked heavy. I went outside yesterday and got hit in the head with acorns lol! I would send a picture to the Farmers Almanac but i dont know how to but i wish you guys could see how many we have. My backyard is filled with huge acorns. When you step out in the yard your stepping on acorns. Leaves are turning, its getting cooler and squirrels are getting prepared. Flocks of birds are moving south. Anyway i can send a picture to you all in Maine? autumn has arrived. waiting on our first snow

72 ~ford { 10.01.12 at 1:38 pm }

I’d say heavy in central Indiana. We just moved into our home…so no previous years to compare…but they’ve been falling like crazy. We can’t take a step without crunching a few.

73 Beth { 10.01.12 at 1:38 pm }

Wicked heavy in South Ga

74 Rebecca { 10.01.12 at 1:31 pm }

Very light here. We are just outside of Ft. Worth,Tx.
Two years ago heavy, and we got a record 12.5 inches of snow, that year.

75 Ryan { 10.01.12 at 1:30 pm }

Wicked Heavy here in Eastern North Carolina.

76 Joan { 10.01.12 at 1:25 pm }

Wicked Heavy!!! Live in Central Virginia and have been out this morning trying to get some of them up before they ruin the grass! Hate them. If acorns are a sign of a bad winter, then LOOK OUT!!

77 Kiera { 10.01.12 at 12:25 pm }

Wicked Heavy here in Central VA! My husband and I were just talking about this yesterday! “Look at all the acorns!! And the squirrels are EVERYwhere!!” It will be interesting to see the results of your survey!! Be sure to post! ;-)