Register | Log in

« | »

Man vs. Beast: Beasts – 2/Man – 0

Man vs. Beast: Beasts – 2/Man – 0

Our site has discussed pests from time to time, but until now, it has not been an issue for me. Now it’s getting personal. I have a home in Lewiston and a cottage on a Maine lake. Between April 1 and May 15th, deer annihilated the creeping juniper garden the grows at my cottage. I have always had a lush looking green bed of junipers that grow naturally with no help from me. We had a mild winter, and now the deer have decided that my four-foot high garden is much to their liking. The picture above shows the damage.

I am not at camp often in the spring, so this damage caught me by surprise. In just a matter of weeks, what started as a few snips turned into a swath 4 feet deep by 15 feet wide. The junipers are a maze of roots that run all over the garden. After an hour and a half of trying to minimize the damage, I realized that I will never find the bottom. So, this weekend, I will clear all the roots with a chainsaw and replant new junipers.

Because I never want to have to do that again, I plan to take some steps to discourage the deer from turning my garden into a salad bar. A few natural remedies will include:

- Installing a couple of mobile devices with bells that will be triggered when the deer approach

- Sprinkling a heavy helping of human hair around the junipers

- Hanging bars of soap over the greens

- Lacing the junipers with thorny branches

- Garlic

If beast #1 – the deer – wasn’t bad enough, a second beast – probably a red squirrel – managed to bite holes in a metal gas line that leads to my grill. Three days after filling my double tanks, something started gnawing on the line and, before long, I lost 124 gallons of gas at a cost of $432. I am guessing it was a squirrel, but it could have been anything.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with a critter actually biting into a metal gas line?

Feel free to share you experiences with garden pests below, and share any tips and tricks you’ve used to deter them.

11 Responses

1. First of all, I don’t see any solutions only more critter problems. I have ground hogs that came in and ate every new shoot in my garden. Beans, tomatoes, cucumbers and the pumpkins. We used live traps to catch them and have caught 4 this year. We also have an armadillo that has dug holes in the front yard. No, they won’t go into a trap. They sleep during the day so you might try and find the one hole were that is. If you put corn out or birdseed the squirrels tend to leave the gardens alone. Deer, if they are hungry, nothing will deter them. I have done human hair, animal hair and more. I planted basil all along the edge of garden, I think that helped but didn’t stop the groundhog. Sorry I don’t have any good answers either.

by Mary Williams on Sep 3, 2014 at 9:09 am

2. Diet boubble gum.they cant diejest it done deal. Must be diet.

by norman lee on Mar 12, 2014 at 2:29 pm

3. I am having problems armadillo digging up my yard. Large holes! All over. You could hurt yourself if not watching where you walk. I need help. Anything that I can spray? Tried traping, that didn’t work! Human hair didn’t work! Any thoughts?

by lilcajunann on Apr 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm

4. My problem were a momma and her baby raccoons who moved in one winter and decided to stay. They clawed through my porch roof and found the attic to their liking. Since I live in a watershed destroying them was not allowed (not that I’d hurt an animal) so I made sure they were gone one sunny day, repaired the porch and laid in wait for them to come back that night. I was packing a bb gun and made sure I did nothing more than sting their butts. NEVER saw ANY of them ever again! :D

by Anita on Dec 2, 2012 at 4:55 am

5. I sure can relate Pards! Only it’s Packrats for me. I hate those sobs!!! They destroy so much stuff. Too big and smart for rat and live traps, the poison isn’t working anymore because they have been educated. I have taken to loading my .45 with shot shells and actually hunting them. I shoot ‘em on sight. It just takes patience!

by Colt on Aug 27, 2012 at 8:19 am

6. I just woke up and went outside on my porch to see a oppossum running by my neighbors fence , anything know how to repell these critters.

by chuck1415 on Jul 23, 2012 at 5:02 am

7. Chipmunks have over taken our gardens and our lawn. It is war. They are no longer cute. PLEASE help. We have tried the poison peanuts, they toss them out! I really do not want to harm them but there are so many now and they done ticked me off
    Thanks for any suggestions
    lisa

by Lisa Dillinger on Jul 3, 2012 at 9:20 am

8. i have just realized that squirrels, not deer, have been devouring my figs and other produce. i’m willing to try anything to prevent them from eating the second crop. suggestions PLEASE

by paula on Jun 20, 2012 at 12:34 pm

9. Try using moth balls. I had squirrels in my attic. And the moth balls done the trick they never came back. Hope it helps good luck

by shawn on May 24, 2012 at 12:58 am

10. Squirrels have devastated my garden. Dug little holes right into every seedling. As I see it, there isnt much I can do. Does anyone have a way to keep those little devils out of my garden ?

by marcie on May 23, 2012 at 6:40 pm