Waxing Crescent

This Prediction we Guarantee

The world is Not going to End in 2012.

It’s hard to believe it’s been 12 years since we celebrated the year 2000, isn’t it? Similarly to 2000, with its Y2K scare, 2012 is a year for many speculations, rumors, and end of world prophecies. Supposedly, the world as we know it is going to end on December 21, 2012. How come? The origins of the prophecy seem to be as diverse as the sites on the Internet claiming different doomsday scenarios.

One popular theory attributes it to the ancient Mayans. Supposedly, the Mayan Calendar is scheduled to end on December 21, 2012 (the winter solstice, if our interpretations of Mayan calendars are correct). That isn’t true. This December may end a Mayan long-count period, but, just as other calendars continue after the end of a year, another Mayan long-count period will begin in January.

Another theory speculates that the planet Nibiru, supposedly discovered by the ancient Sumerians, is on a crash course towards earth. Originally, this planet was supposed to crash and burn in May 2003, but when that didn’t happen, the doomsday prophecies were changed to link the event to December 2012. Again, it’s not true.

The world will not end in December. That’s our prediction and we’re sticking by it. (After all, if we’re wrong, um who’s going to tell us… ?!)

1 Jennifer { 12.10.12 at 2:59 pm }

I know it’s months after you posted Virginia, but were you planning to grow veggies and fruit for just your immediate family? The reason I ask is, even on a small vegetable garden in the city, it’s amazing how much veggies a person can grow. So much so, when I had my plot, I would freeze some of it for the winter. So, you can imagine how much up to 4 acres would produce. If you’re into canning and/or have a large freezer, you can save a lot of money year round on your grocery bill. Also, when you harvest, make sure to save seeds from some of your produce for the following year. Perhaps your husband can build you a greenhouse for starting from seed plants? Jams, chutneys, jellies are a great way to stock your shelves using your harvest. Good luck!

2 eireann { 12.03.12 at 2:06 pm }

I’m trying to figure out weather locally and observing what’s happening globally. Come time to plant things next spring, I want to know if when it comes time to plant my (hopeful) veggie patch it needs to be timed in such a way. Growing my own squash would be nice, I’ve seen people who are more inclined bring out an abundance of squash, tomatoes, eggplants (whatever they grew that year). It’s something that would be interesting and I’d want to try for myself. So.. considering the temperature changes and seasonal weather together, will it continue to change every year? This year there has been “wacky” weather and intense natural disasters happening as well. I know enough to know this has to do with our ecosystem and how it sits within what is happening to our solar system (planets aligning and such). I’ve also noticed doomsday predictions aside, that there is going to be a magnetic polar shift coming that will continue to usher all these changes we’ve been experiencing on earth, only it seems to me that it’s happening at a faster and faster pace as time goes on. Will the polar shift and reversal that is coming this month going to continue to affect us, and specifically weather patterns and changes in a long term sense. Or….am I frivolously worrying about something that seems massive but really isn’t that concerning? Thank you for any light you can shine on this.

3 Jeanette L Lohrbach { 01.11.12 at 10:16 am }

Again my comment was removed. I will never add to the discussion again. I am glad that I know what the guaranteed is.

4 Jaime McLeod { 01.10.12 at 9:00 am }

Hi Linda,
Thanks for the compliment and for your questions. We have been using the same formula to forecast the weather for nearly 200 years. The actual formula is a secret (I don’t even know it), but I can tell you that it takes sunspot activity, tidal action, moon phases, the position of the planet, and many other factors into consideration. Americans didn’t know about El Niño and La Niña at the time the formula was created, and even today these phenomena are still not very well understood. Even NOAA, with all of its experts and fancy equipment can’t really predict an El Niño or La Niña very far in advance. As for how far in advance we could do our forecast, I don’t actually know. Currently, our forecast is made about two years in advance.

5 Linda Abalos { 01.10.12 at 2:43 am }

I think you are right on with the weather predictions for Texas. So far it has been very mild and very wet which is your prediction. I like that. I find that every year as I compare what the Almanac predicts as to what the weather true does is very true. Since I am very analytical myself, I would really like to know what your basis comes from. Is it based on history of the weather, the el Nina & el Nino, study of weather patterns, what??? Can you help a girl understand? I am very curious. How far in advance can you predict? Can you do this years in advance? Is the el Nina & el Nino predictable? I know I have lots of questions. Do you have lots of answers?

6 vchood { 01.04.12 at 7:48 pm }

Hello my name is Virginia Hood, my husband has like about 4 acres of free land. I’m interested in planting vegetable, but i have never done. Can somebody help me to start my vegetable garden… please