Waning Crescent

Rain, Rain Go Away

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could give some of the rain we’ve been receiving here in the Northeast to places that really want it? I know people in Texas would gladly take it. If only Mother Nature would share a little.

As I’m sitting here writing this blog, the sky is grey again. We had a very heavy downpour last night and I got some water in my basement. I am not complaining, as I feel very fortunate after all of these soaking rains that flooded people’s homes, farms, and livestock. Yet it reminds me of how much the weather has to do with attitudes and outlooks on life.

I for one think the endless grey skies get very boring, tiring, and somewhat depressing. Yet a rainy day — every once in awhile – isn’t a totally bad thing. In fact, my kids tell me they like those kinds of weather days. Is it because rainy days are the type of days that allow you to kickback and relax without any guilt? If it’s raining you can’t go outdoors to weed or mow …right?

I know a good snowstorm makes me feel like I have a pass for the day. Especially when events get cancelled and the roads are just too slippery to say drive to the gym…. But what about endless days of sunshine? Do they ever get boring?

When I’m on vacation, I’d prefer all the days to be sunny and warm, but I usually only take a week off at a time. But what about places that are always sunny? Do people get perhaps the opposite of Seasonal Affective Disorder, which is often caused by a lack of sunlight during colder days and seasons? I’m thinking it’s possible.

For me, it would depend on the type of sunny days. Day after day of clear, sunny days with comfortable temperatures and low humidity might not get boring for quite some time. However, days of extreme heat and drought, has to get old and very boring especially when you’re trying to keep your gardens growing, crops alive, or animals watered.

Fortunately, weather has a way of changing (usually) so hopefully the grey skies will soon be replaced with blue ones, and for Texas, I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you blue skies to turn to grey, wet ones.

But what do you think? Do you feel the weather has a lot to do with your attitude? What type of weather, just rainy, grey days or does endless sun get boring too? Would love to hear your thoughts.

1 Jaime McLeod { 12.12.11 at 8:36 am }

Ann,
That date has already passed. Did you mean 2012? For September 28, 2011, we predicted it would be “Sultry, with a continued risk of showers and thunderstorms.”

2 Ann K. { 12.11.11 at 2:55 am }

I need help ASAP. I need to find out the weather forecast for Sept 28, 2011 in Navarre Florida. Can you help me with this? Thanks for your time.

3 Zach { 10.08.11 at 10:12 pm }

I wish it would come a downpour in north east Texas for the next 3 weeks

4 Becky Howey { 10.02.11 at 3:51 pm }

I have a skin disorder and heat and sweat aggrivate it. I live in Texas right now, but if I were able to move, it would be somewhere that has freezing winters and more cloudy rainy days than sunny! It’s not that I like to be freezing, it’s just that I don’t have serious flare-ups as bad in the cold.

5 Mel { 09.29.11 at 10:55 pm }

Im one of those stuck on the very rainy east coast. I could really go for a week or so of JUST sun:) My husband deals with seasonal affective disorder and not really looking forward to going into cold and probably rainy winter here. Never thought about the opposite of SAD, could happen I guess depending on where you were. Doesn’t look like we’ll get the chance to give it a try any time soon. Here’s hoping for a sunny winter!:)

6 Jennifer { 09.29.11 at 4:01 pm }

I am one of the Texans that would really like to see some steady rain right now. That would not be normal for me. I do like warm and sunny weather, it gives us a chance to get out and do some repairs or updates around the farm and in general….enjoy the beauty of the place. But, endless sun at 100* temperatures and NO rain, is awful and miserable. After about a week of 100* days we ended up staying indoors with all the blinds closed. Today we will reach the 100′s again and this will be our 82nd day since June. We are suffering the same effects that endless grey clouds will cause. Last week we had a day or two that was only in the low 90′s and we were outside all day long. Kind of gave us a fresh start, but it was sad to see how everything is completely dried out. I am ready for some rain now.

7 Joyce G { 09.29.11 at 3:49 pm }

Since I am sitting here in the middle of this terrible drought, I would welcome a lot of rainy days. However, I have always enjoyed thunderstorms and rain. On the other hand, my husband loves sunshiny days. Although we would both enjoy a lot of rainy days here in Central Texas. I find things to do on both kinds of days.