Waning Crescent

The Persimmon Lady Strikes Again!

One of the most bits of weather lore our readers most frequently ask about is how to predict the severity of the coming winter using persimmon seeds. There’s a long-standing belief that if you cut open a seed and see see knife-shape, it means the coming winter will be cold and icy — so cold that it cuts like a knife — while a spoon-shape indicates you’ll be doing a lot of shoveling. A fork shape means winter will be mild.

For the last few years, Johnsonville, N.C., resident Melissa Bunker – affectionately known as the Persimmon Lady around here – has been reporting her persimmon seed findings. This year, Melissa cut open 10 persimmon seeds and found 10 spoons.

Do you believe that persimmon seeds can predict the weather? Is there some other indicator you use, such as acorns or woolly bear caterpillars? Or do you think the whole thing is a hogwash?
Tell us your favorite weather signs below, or go to our Facebook page to share photos of persimmon seeds, caterpillars, or any other indicator from your neck of the woods!

1 Barbara Nunn { 10.14.13 at 10:19 pm }

I have been opening persimmon seeds along with others in immediate area and we are all getting spoons!! I also look at the horses coats. Thick wooly coat usually mean a cold hard winter – yes they are getting very long winter coats. We could use the moisture here in Kansas but hope we don’t get snowed in. Rather snow than ice. The squirrels are working very hard gathering nuts, another sign I believe in.

2 Cathy Treat { 10.29.12 at 2:40 pm }

I am in Coweta, OK and I split 4 seeds… all spoons. 10-28-12

3 FRAnk { 10.05.12 at 4:15 pm }

Just cut open ten seeds.all spoons on knotts Island nc

4 Johnnie B { 09.29.12 at 10:02 am }

All spoons on Northern Neck Va.

5 john wanless { 09.12.12 at 7:46 pm }

Southern Illinois–Use pliars to squeeze them open-much easier than a knife and safer. 10 had spoons and 1 had two points (is that a fork) one didn’t have anything(?) Oh, yes, they were ripe and quite tasty. Have not seen a knife in one in twenty years. Have seen some with three points and thought that was the fork but have not seen any pictures from anyone

6 carla { 09.07.12 at 10:14 am }

I cut one open the other day and it was a little early to do so but it was a knife with a little scoop to it. This was in El Reno, Oklahoma. 9-6-2012

7 greypoopon { 08.21.12 at 12:08 am }

Persimmon, and pecans trees haven’t lied to me once. My persimmons say a cold winter in So Ga. And the pecans will tell me when the frost is over when they start to bud out. I don’t know how, but they know. It’s too bad we’ve lost so much knowledge of nature in this new world of technology.

8 Stephanie Calhoun { 07.12.12 at 5:40 pm }

Just cut three open and spoons for all three in in Hogansville GA.

9 p gandy { 07.06.12 at 9:57 am }

live in south east kansas…..what do you think we are in store for?

10 June Appleby { 03.23.12 at 12:34 am }

Hello everyone!

June here. Just split my first “P” Seed of the Season. WAS A FORK! How ’bout y’all?

J

11 Vickie { 12.12.11 at 12:11 pm }

My parents have a persimmon tree and checked a few weeks ago – Spoon. We live in Kansas.

12 Debra Dias { 12.06.11 at 8:28 pm }

Thanks for the report in Arkansas Judy. My brother in Oklahoma has been cutting persimmon seeds open for many years and we have all relied upon its results….Just haven’t got to it this year. I will definitely prepare for it.

13 Judy { 11.03.11 at 3:25 pm }

Spoons in Hot Springs, Arkansas!

14 Robert { 11.01.11 at 9:07 pm }

Opened 5 seeds here in Indiana just south of Indy, spoons here too!!!!!

15 Carole Grubaugh { 10.28.11 at 7:14 pm }

Brownsboro, Texas show all spoons!!! Yay!

16 Linda Fleming Oliver { 10.27.11 at 2:19 am }

5 persimmons, 5 spoons,Again here in Pryor, Northeast Oklahoma, 45 miles east of Tulsa…=)=)=)

17 Cris { 10.21.11 at 1:33 pm }

I live in Middle Tennessee. We just opened our Persimmon to find a spoon. We did have more snow than usual last year, and I hope this means we’ll have plenty more this year too.

18 Molly Sue { 10.10.11 at 12:27 pm }

I cracked 18 seeds this morning and 16 had spoons. Two had nothing. The persimmons say a lot of snow for Southern Illinois!!!

19 Heather clay { 10.05.11 at 8:55 pm }

So I am understanding correctly we r to be prepared this year for snow

20 Rhonda { 10.03.11 at 4:00 pm }

We checked 5 persimmon seeds in Greer, SC on 9/29/2011 and they were all spoons.

21 Nancy Campbell { 10.03.11 at 8:29 am }

Persimmon seeds in Bullard Texas have spoons.

22 Melissa Bunker { 10.01.11 at 9:26 am }

Dear Mrsbama,

I put them sideways in my mouth and bite down. The seed will split in two. Its safer than using a knife! ~The Persimmon Lady

23 Leigh Edwards { 09.29.11 at 8:44 am }

My sister & I picked up persimmons yesterday. Six of the seeds I opened were SPOONS too. We’re in Hickory, NC

24 mrsbama { 09.28.11 at 12:32 pm }

How do you get the seeds open?

25 wolfewoman { 09.22.11 at 12:52 pm }

I’m starting to become a big fan of the persimmon lady! I live in Waynesville, NC and her report was dead-on last year!

26 Debbie Ledock { 09.22.11 at 6:52 am }

You have been right the last two years, so I guess we are gonna have some white stuff this year!

27 Jang Dongsoon { 09.22.11 at 2:00 am }

It is quite interesting and quite similar to the theory of far east countries’ weather prediction empricism.The theory of weather prediction in far east countries uses Five Element theory correspondint to five planets in solar system. There, the shape of long knife stands for strong wind, the shape of spoon means humid weather, and finally the shape of fork describbes fire , etc. I hope this comment will help you.

28 Melissa Bunker { 09.21.11 at 8:16 pm }

Yes and there are 9 seeds in the photograph ;) My daughters were examining a seed for themselves when the photo was taken.

29 Melissa Bunker { 09.21.11 at 8:13 pm }

Hey guys, the persimmon read for this year was held in Harnett County. ~ The Persimmon Lady