Waxing Crescent

Will the world end in 2012?

Have you heard all the crazy rumors? Supposedly 12.21.12 is it — doomsday, the end of the world as we know it. Fortunately, there have been so many “end of the world” dates, most of us know that December 21, 2012, will come and go, just like any other day. However, in the new edition of the Farmers’ Almanac, there are some very interesting tidbits of information about what why 2012 is an unusual year.

Did you know that 2012 will have …

• 3 Friday the 13ths
  • One Blue Moon
  • A February 29
  • And a rare transit of Venus

For more information on these unusual events, (as well as tips on ways to stay lucky on the Friday the 13ths, how to view Venus, what a blue moon really is, why we leap…) be sure to read the 2012 Farmers’ Almanac, which also contains answers to why rumors have the world ending in December of next year.

And what do you think about the end of the world? Is it coming next year? Are you nervous about Friday the 13ths? Any plans for leap day 2012? Share your thoughts here.

1 Linda { 08.08.12 at 12:02 pm }

Well I guess I am a little late with my opinion. However, I don’t believe in all these doom sayers. If the world would come to an end then we would ALL be gone. So why would you care one way or the other. If the world does end (which I don’t believe is going to happen on 12/22/2012) who would want to be left here after a disaster. You have a very slim chance of survival. The world would likely end due to some catastrophic disaster that would leave the earth covered in radioactive debris so that there would be no access to water or food. Even if you had a bunker to hide in you eventually would have to come out of there and what a sorry mess you would see. Then you would likely die a turturous death. How many times have we been told the earth was coming to an end? We are all going to see the world come to an end ….. Our own personal world!!!! We are here for a good time not a long time!

2 Aaron { 06.04.12 at 4:47 pm }

No the world isnt ending this December 2012. This is just an ordinary year, there is no such thing as nibiru nasa already said, the poles are not shifting this year and even if they were it would take thousands maybe even millions of years! You gotta use your common sence here, nothing like this can happen in one day. There are no planetary allignments in 2012 and it wouldnt effect us because the only 2 bodies in the universe that gravitate the earth is the sun and the moon. Astronomers and scientists KNOW 2012 is just any other year and i have a copy of the 2012 farmers almanac and i have read the article. 2000 was also the end of the world. We’re still here! I’ll be too busy freezing my head off to worry about the world ending anyway! The mayan calender doesent even end so there goes that plus LEAP YEAR wasent factored in.

3 Nick Vinsable { 04.15.12 at 11:27 pm }

Based on the things that happened since winter of 2011, and everthing else before and after. We might be ripe for an invasion from “the gods of old.” But a more concerning question is: who will get here first? The Angels or The Demons? Lets say there is still an interstellar war going on, and based on our sun’s orbit around our galaxy, our planet is in the right spot for a base of operations. If “The Angels” arrive first, I’m sure they would do their best to get us out of harms way. But if “The Demons” arrive first, they’ll do the same except we would be forced to work for their mighty military machine.
But the lightest bad thing that would happen would be the change of the planetary magnetic flow. The Bramuda Triangle is already showing signs magnetic deprivation, so I wouldn’t be to suprised that all the world compases point in the exact opposite direction.

4 stevenpaige { 02.01.12 at 2:39 pm }

As for the myan calendar no body realy knows what was truly meant. According to an astronomer the sun lines with the milky way on 12/21/2012. Maybe that’s what they were getting at, considering how often that happens (note the sarcasm). All I am saying is. Stop overeacting. Y2K does anyone remember that overeaction? If the earth is engulfed in flames or a meteor destroys all way of life, does anyone really think they can avoid it? Stocking up on years of food supplies has only managed to get you to waist allot of valuable time. Ill tell you what… on 12/21/2012 I will get up, enjoy a cup of tea, drive my kids to school and argue with my wife on the cost of the last minute Christmas gifts she bought. On 12/22/2012, I will wake up and wonder what the next end of the world date will be.

5 Dee { 10.03.11 at 12:13 am }

Was a city girl through my teenage years! Moved to the mountains in my mid twenties and haven’t left! I learned weird things up here in these mountains,,from these wise old ppl! Like certain times and days to grow gardens, to take a bottle from a baby, what it means when cows are laying down. I could go on and on!! Now I look back at these 25 years I’ve been living up here,, I wouldnt trade this experience for nothing! I’ve lived and learned so much! I’ve become one of those wise old ppl and keep learning about all these weird things!

6 tomalock { 09.18.11 at 12:28 pm }

All this stuff about the world ending on 12-21-12 is nothing but hype to sell books, movies, doom sayers. The Mayan descendants say themselves the world is NOT going to end but enter into a new period of growth/happiness, for some it would be an end to there way of life.

7 Tyberius { 09.15.11 at 1:42 pm }

End of the world? I dont think so. There have been way top many ends of the world in the past, why is this one different? Earthquakes, fires and tornadoes have happened more this year than others, but like humans, planets go through a state of change too, kinda like an adolecense. I could get on TV and say the world is actually going to end on October 31, 2011 and the public would probably believe it and go into panic. That being said, I don’t think the world will end on the 21st, let people have their conspiracies.

8 jerry { 09.04.11 at 6:08 am }

I have read the bible and believe everything in it I have been on my death bead 3 times and have seen a lot since then in the last 10yrs but the last 4 months I have been showed a lot more by god and this world is in termoil and look gods ppl being freef again jesus is coming sooner than ppl think u can’t put a date on it but u can see the changes and know that the earth is calling for him so ppl need to get ready I live in ms and in the past 38 yrs it never gets cool before the first week oct and in just a few days we going to be in the 70′s for highs and 50′s for lows so something is going on

9 charles { 09.03.11 at 6:44 pm }

the bible also states that children be killed for disobeying their parents and an adultress woman be stoned to death… The bible kind sir, is nothing more than any other religious propaganda intended to strike fear and control into the hearts of believers. Your God you speak of has no merit in scientific theory or possibilities of catastrophy as HE is about as real to me and an ever growing number of non-believers as santa or the easter bunny!!!! keep your religious banter in your government funded central air conditioned churches where it belongs..

10 TheMaineMan { 09.03.11 at 4:36 pm }

The world is no more or less likely to end on 12.21.2012 than any other day.

11 Irene Molskness { 09.01.11 at 9:44 am }

I HAVE ALWAYS PURCHASED YOUR ALMANAC ,

12 Aaron { 09.01.11 at 3:18 am }

As far as 21DEC12 goes. .
Its the planetary alignment that could pose a problem for us.
We need to remember that life on Earth has been wiped off the Map more than once in the past.
I believe that there is too much Poverty, whilst the Rich get richer.
There is too much war and fighting over things so petty.
The floods, earth quakes, tornados, disease, wild fires. All beyond what any of us have ever seen.
Everyday you turn on the TV. It gets worse.
I suspect the world will be struck by an Asteroid. One that hasn’t been detected yet.
21DEC12? Hard to say.
But something is coming. And it will effect us all. Nobody will be spared.

This is what I believe.

13 Farmers' Almanac Staff { 08.31.11 at 7:56 pm }

Thanks Dini!

14 Dini A. Miller { 08.31.11 at 5:26 pm }

I love your blogs and have purchased your Almanac for at least 35 years. You’re always so right on the money about anything & everything. Keep up the great work.

15 Rev Geo S Hewitt { 08.31.11 at 4:08 pm }

The book of Matthew in chapter 24, verse 36; “But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven,but my Father only.”

16 Rev Geo S Hewitt { 08.31.11 at 4:05 pm }

We are told in God’s Word; Matthew 24:36, “But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.”

17 Chris { 08.31.11 at 3:47 pm }

Well, if it is the end of the world, will anyone know? Or care for that matter! It’s not like you’d have to prepare for it!

18 Kim M. { 08.31.11 at 1:40 pm }

I agree completely with Jeanette Lohrbach!

19 Dani { 08.31.11 at 12:14 pm }

If I am correct, there is a particular calendar made by the Mayan that has everyone in a frenzy because the calendar ends on Dec. 21st 2012…but the Mayan had different methods of counting. They made other calendars in different counting that are suspected to pass that date.

20 Jeanette Lohrbach { 08.31.11 at 10:45 am }

Only the God the Father knows the day and time of the end of the world.

21 wildmagnolia { 08.31.11 at 9:50 am }

Good article and information.

On New Years Day blackeyed peas are eaten to bring good luck. It’s a southern tradition. I’m born and raised in Florida.

22 Frutero { 08.31.11 at 9:30 am }

I expect to eat pork and blackeye peas on the morning of New Year’s Day, 2013, unless I croak first, which would be the end only of me, not the world.